Start by marking “Sarah Morris Remembers” as Want to Read:
Sarah Morris Remembers

Sarah Morris Remembers

(Sarah)

With the help of her diary, Sarah Morris tries to make a pattern of the lives of her family and her friends...

The result is a brightly woven tapestry of which the main thread, Sarah’s own story, is the love which grows naturally from the innocent affection of a child into the all-absorbing passion of a woman.

Sarah tells of her happy childhood at the Vicarage. The Morri
Published October 9th 2018 by Endeavour Media (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Sarah Morris Remembers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah Morris Remembers

Start your review of Sarah Morris Remembers
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had taken a break from reading a Stevenson novel as I have read about 2/3 of her works and I don't want to ever get to the point where I have no Stevenson novels left to read...oh, I rue that day! :( But, her novels (many are unavailable even through ILL)can be pricey even through online used book vendors...But, I decided to budget a new Stevenson every few months and then perhaps I can stretch out her books for a few more years...:)

Sarah Morris Remembers is a lovely novel set in England in th
Elizabeth
I think I read these out of order. They didn’t seem numbered clearly to me and i got the idea I was to read the cottage book first as the other was a look back. Oh well it was just fine this way, but i think i would recommend “Remembers” first and “Cottage” second.
Julie  Durnell
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england-uk
I liked this much more than I thought I would! Sarah Morris is a really sweet, sweet girl, but her story is not saccharine. I found her values to be an intrinsic part of her personality. In todays world where it is common to see the "me first" thought process and the instant gratification, Sarah exhibits kindness and generosity, perseverance and loyalty, while living through the London bombings of WWII. I definitely will read the sequel!
Theresa
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-lit, ww-2
Loved this book! D.E. Stevenson has done it again for me!

Sarah Morris is the daughter of an English vicar. She has two brothers, Willy and Lewis, and another sister Charlotte, the youngest in the family, and *quite* spoiled! Written in pre-World War II, the novel progresses and takes the reader on a quick trip through the war from Sarah's perspective.

We see Lewis wanting to be a soldier and Willy, much to his shame,exempted from service. Charlotte becomes more and more flighty and self-absorbed
Katherine
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, 2020
Alisha
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of the first 20-some years of Sarah Morris.
Enjoyable writing and very likeable characters for the most part, although right in the middle is a bit of implied immorality that quite disappointed me. It's not spelled out, and is never referred to again.
As a young teenager, Sarah meets her older brother's college friend, a kind and sympathetic man from Austria named Charles, and while he retains family-friend status for a while and she has a childish affection for him, it's not much of a leap
Carolyn
One of my favorite D.E. Stevenson books. Sarah grows up in a small town in Britain. Her college age brother brings home an Austrian student who loves the freedom of Britain at a time when Hitler is beginning to overrun Europe. Sarah pledges her allegience to him as he returns home to Austria at the beginning of WW II. Charles disappears for many years and she prepares to live her life without him. One day at work, she sees him again and he rushes away from her. What has happened to Charles?

The s
Claude
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I found the beginning just so boring that I almost gave the book up. I suppose Sarah Morris's childhood memories weren't all that interesting. But after a while, I recognized D.E. Stevenson, an author I usually love.
2.5 stars. D E Stevenson is an author I usually love, but this is certainly not one of her best novels. I got bored several times and couldn't feel empathy for the characters. Pity.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read as audiobook.
Jan
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: de-stevenson
I loved this book. Entertaining, relaxing, easy reading. This is the kind of book I was ready for~ after reading several other books that were hard work, and one that bored me to the point that I gave up. This was a book I may read again in a few years~ just for fun. Also, it may encourage me to write my own memoirs.
Bookworman
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my second read and I did enjoy it. Nice story but not as good as some of my favorites like “Celia’s House”.
Sharon Ouderkirk
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally picked up Sarah Morris Remembers for a bit of comfort reading as an antidote to all the depressing COVID-19 media reporting, but the story, partially set in London during World War II, reminded me that life is often hard, and COVID-19 is not even close to the worst that has happened in history. Still, Stevenson delivered her story of Sarah Morris' life with hope and love and humour, and therein was the comfort that I sought. It isn't what happens, but what people do with what happen ...more
Beccie
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven't read this one in years, so thank you, Endeavor Media, for releasing it on Kindle. Keep the D.E. Stevenson's coming! I love this book (despite the uncharacteristic and surprising pre-marital relations that just mentioned "pretending they were married" before he had to go off to Europe right before WWII and then coming out of the bedroom in the morning and saying goodbye), but it is not a favorite. This is one of Mrs. Stevenson's books that makes me question the British tradition of boar ...more
Janet
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the books by D.E. Stevenson! Charming stories of ordinary people, with enough of an edge to keep them from being saccharine and too sweet.
SARAH MORRIS REMEMBERS might be considered a period piece. Sarah's mother seems almost child-like in her determination to make life fit her script; she is frightened by any idea beyond her own narrow horizons. Sarah and her father quietly work to protect her, but her death and the war sets them on their own paths. Both of them grow stronger in what t
Nick Anderson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tea with and old friend

Reading D.E. Stevenson has always been a delight, and I've collected a shelf full of her books. But to discover a new (to me) book on Kindle was an unexpected treasure! Fortunately I was also able to purchase the sequel to this book on Kindle, so will hurry off now to begin that. I'm glad to recommend her books, I've never read one that I didn't enjoy - in the over 55 years I've been reading!
Beth A. Smith
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a D.E. Stevenson fan, and have read many of her books. This one just moved too slowly for me, went on too long, and had subplots and characters that didn't go much of anywhere. I know it's structured as a diary, but it doesn't sound like one. In the end, the only thing I cared about was whether Sarah and Charles would ever get back together and I would have been happy if someone had tapped me on the shoulder and said: "Oh, I read that book. Let me tell you how it ends."
Margaret Sweet
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought I had read them all

D. E. Stevenson has been a favorite for many years. I thought I had read them all but Sarah was a new acquaintance for me. Set in the prewar and war years England and Scotland the book tells the story of a young woman's life as she journaled it. A satisfactory story.
Miriam
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, kindle
Roxane White
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent !

The characters so real, the story spellbinding. I enjoyed the book so much. I would like to know where all these bratty young women Come from,it seems that every story some has a rotten sister. I enjoyed the characters of Charles andWilly who finally gets his stuff together!!
Nancy
A lovely book to escape from the crazy world we live in. One where you can be sure nothing too terrible will happen. Good characters, thoughtful plot, just a very nice book from a very different time. I'm ready for the next in the series.
Marlies
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable in a gentle way.
Dinnl
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another lovely story by DE Stevenson. She doesn't give her heroines an easy time but it always works out for them. Interesting perspective of WWII.
Catherine Bond
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful period saga

This book took me back to my own childhood and I so enjoyed it.Shades of my own Mother and family.
Bev
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Revisited this book after an absence of many years and loved it just as much as I did the first time!
Terri
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dreadfully slow. Came very close to DNF'ing it and that is something I rarely do. Just held out to find out what happened with the love interest. Should have just skipped to the end.
Chelle
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelle by: Durham/ London / Scotland
3-*
(Narrator spotlight first: I’ve become accustomed to Lesley Mackie being the voice for Stevenson’s books, so it took me awhile to adjust to Patience's accents and intonation. Tomlinson’s portrayal of sobbing women in this audio got on my wick after a while. I wonder if Tomlinson’s voice for Charles helped me feel the disconnect from him – it’s not a good voice; otherwise, I think she did a pretty fair job and I'd listen to her reading another book.... hopefully without sobbing in it though ;)
Sara
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SARAH MORRIS REMEMBERS (SMR) is a quiet novel, not a gripping page-turner, not filled with rich Dickensian characters, not even crafted with clever plot twists or a shocking denouement. SMR is, however, refreshingly genuine and believable. I get the feeling that D.E. Stevenson wrote this book lovingly, pouring a great deal of her own heart into its making. It's a fictional memoir, based on the diaries of a young Engllishwoman too young to have appreciated the horrors of the Great War, young enou ...more
Cricket Muse
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the plot starts out a bit pretentiously slow (these remembrances are based on the narrator's diaries), the pace decidedly picks up once Sarah and her siblings grow up. As with most of DES' stories, this one revolves around WWII. Once the war starts the plot shifts to London where Sarah and her father stay, living as best they can until the war is over. Throughout Sarah's account is her love for Charles, who disappears during the war and she waits hopefully for him to return. Sarah is a str ...more
Anna
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A somewhat long, drawn out account of one girl/woman’s experiences before and during WW2 in London. This book was on my kindle app and I’d only read it in bed before sleep or during wakeful night. For that, it was perfect. Ms Stevenson’s writing style is so easy to read and peaceful, it did not induce stress in any way, although the story itself had highs and lows. It was written from the first person, and definitely in an old fashioned manner, but I enjoyed the voice and her method of story tel ...more

• Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1)
  • Parson's Nine
  • Mr Finchley Takes the Road (Mr Finchley, #3)
  • The Winter is Past
  • The House Across the Way (Black Heath Classic Crime)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Mr Finchley Goes to Paris (Mr Finchley, #2)
  • Nothing to Report
  • The Corner Shop
  • Somewhere in England
  • Mr Finchley Discovers His England (Mr Finchley, #1)
  • Constable on the Hill (Constable Nick Mystery #1)
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
  • Celebrations at Thrush Green
  • A Peaceful Retirement (Fairacre, #20)
  • Amy Wingate's Journal
  • The School at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #9)
  • Spring Green
Dorothy Emily Stevenson was a best-selling Scottish author. She published more than 40 romantic novels over a period of more than 40 years. Her father was a cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson.

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas

Sarah (2 books)
  • Sarah's Cottage (Sarah Morris Book 2)