Start by marking “Just a Name” as Want to Read:
Just a Name

Just a Name

If there’s one thing Holly Murphy loves, it’s a solid plan. She has her entire life figured out—or so she thinks. But when life pulls the rug out from under her, she’s left to deal with a canceled wedding—hers, to be precise. And the promotion she’s worked toward for years is now in jeopardy because the team she supervises doesn’t like her management style.

Thinking that Ho
Published October 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Just a Name, please sign up.
Becky Monson Hi Helen! Thank you for writing me. The truth is I made that joke a while back when I was first writing this book. It never sat well with me and I thi…moreHi Helen! Thank you for writing me. The truth is I made that joke a while back when I was first writing this book. It never sat well with me and I think it takes people out of the story. I'll be adding an epilogue to this story in the next week or two and when I do, I'm taking it out. :) Thanks for writing me! <3 (less)

Start your review of Just a Name
Katie W
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story! And what about that darling cover?! I'd pick it up jut because of that.

When Holly's fiance breaks up with her and her boss forces her to take a vacation, she does a nationwide search to find a man with the same name to take the ticket of her ex-fiance for a fake honeymoon trip. Can you imagine?!

There is a delightful cast of supporting characters, with a lot of interconnections, making it a tad bit complicated. I wish I had a diverse and loyal support system like Holly had--ser
Tracie Banister
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect book to read during a pandemic since its heroine goes on a trip to London and Paris, so I felt like I was tagging along on her vacation and getting to see all of the sights. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Before Holly can go on this amazing European getaway she needs to find a guy to be her plus-one. You see, this vacay was supposed to be Holly’s honeymoon, but her fiancé broke off their engagement.

Although Holly wants to forget the trip and stay focused on her job where
Jennifer Peel
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best chick lit books I've read. I was laughing and swooning.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Oh, where to start with this book? Probably the most obvious statement: I LOVED it. Becky Monson is so good at writing humor into her books. Sarcasm and wit reign supreme right along with a slow growing romance. That romance stuff had goosebumps rising all over my body on repeated occasions. Yumma, yumma. Seriously, I was either smiling or swooning all the way through. Sometimes it was both. LOVE.

Content: frequent mild swearing (many words with just the first letter instead of the whole word wri
Pascale
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
-‘I’m an evil overlord with a side of organized. Go, me.’-

Holly Murphy’s life is not on track, not even a little. Her fiancé broke up with her three months before the wedding, his best friend and roommate hates her, and yet she can’t avoid him, her team at work doesn’t listen to her, she’s afraid she’ll lose her job, and her boss is forcing her to take a vacation. Everyone says she’s boring and a control freak, but she has to be! She can’t turn out like her mother! Then her best friend comes up
Lindsey
I’m not impulsive. I’m not a ride-or-die kind of girl. I don’t want to ride or die.

This was a cute and easy read, although I couldn't relate to Holly much at all. I loved Logan though, I wish we'd gotten more time with him.

I have to say that the abbreviations for swear words got old FAST. Either say the words or leave them out. Frustrating.
Mara
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to the audiobook and think the narrator's voice helped me get into Holly's head because she wouldn't have sounded the same in my imagination. Because the book is from Holly's point of view you 'hear' everything Holly's thinking, which sometimes felt as if I were in a hyperactive person's brain (Holly thinks about EVERYTHING), and lots of times it was hilarious.

Holly is a workaholic who never uses her vacation days, which I can't relate to at all. Se works at a bank so she gets all th
Yi-Hsuan
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
One thing you can say about chick lit...is that it's totally predictable. But is that part of the fun? Maybe in the beginning. Nevertheless, this was still a fun addition to my post-A Little Life reading.
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, reviewed, romance
What a fun book! Holly is flawed in ways I can't quite understand, not being a workaholic myself ;) The author did a great job of getting me in her head and even though I thought she was more than a little crazy for not wanting to take time off from her frustrating work situation to travel *to Europe*, I liked when she started to listen to her friends and stretched outside her comfort zone. She learned some invaluable life lessons and I enjoyed seeing her progress on her journey. There's a great ...more
Charissa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a super fun piece of chick lit. Funny characters, witty dialogue, silly scenes at times to keep me smiling. The romance was a frenemies trope with a slow-burn to buildup. I adored Logan and Holly, the MCsy. Logan is mysterious enough that you never know what he’s really thinking, which drives the heroine crazy. And Holly is lovable because of her weaknesses that are brought out. I couldn’t read this one fast enough. I thoroughly enjoyed every scene. This author has given me some scrumpt ...more
Misty
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I picked this up based not only on the “book-blurb” but also on the myriad four and five star reviews. I am happy to say, it did not disappoint. A light and easy read, this rom com was a little humorous and a lot of “cute”.

Just a Name is the story of twenty-something Holly Murphy, a woman recovering from a recent break up with fiancé Nathan Jones. Not only was she unceremoniously dumped, amid accusations regarding her controlling nature, she is also stuck with two plane tickets, which would have
Christina
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!!

This was such a great story about a girl who goes from thinking she knows exactly what she wants to a woman who understands it’s okay not to have all the answers.

Holly was a fantastic protagonist. With a first person perspective you really get to know her and her thoughts are flippin’ hilarious! She is a perfectionist, a planner, a workaholic, a jilted bride-to-be, and a fantastic friend and daughter. She is also vulnerable and afraid of change, which is what makes this story unique.
Heike
21 year old (!) controlling girl gets dumped 3 weeks before her wedding and tries to get a promotion in a call center from team leader (which she is bad in) to call center leader. Supported by her friends (no gay guy among them, surprise, surprise) she plans to do something outside her comfort zone, meanwhile ignoring the best friend of her ex-fiancee who, obviously, has deep feelings for her despite being cool and aloof while she was in a relationship with his buddy.
This was a quick read becau
Michelle
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The latest book by Becky Monson is FINALLY HERE!!! I love being able to introduce people to this hilarious author who dreams up characters in high-def and executes their flaws with perfection. I love the fact that I can hand any one of Becky Monson's books to absolutely anyone I know without fear because her books are sweet, hilarious, and well-written. And Just a Name is absolutely fast becoming one of my favorite books now! The humor is spot on, the characters are well-defined, and I think I c ...more
elizrdbthspeaks
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yep, the cover made me check this read out. Such a great book cover! I love humor .. laughter is such a must in my life ... I thought I had read a book from Becky ...but I am finding this is my 1st read by her ...love that smile? looks so friendly ...might be mixing her up with another author??! that happens sometimes ... great read ... check it out!! must read. I will be reading more from Becky soon enough. such a new fan.
Hannah
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I LOVED this book.

I saw so much of myself in Holly. Her attention to detail and her love to plan everything. I could relate to the struggles that come with being a workaholic and perfectionist.

Her relationship with Logan was so fun to follow. It drew me in and I couldn’t stop reading. Their chemistry was undeniable.

This story made me develop butterflies, laugh and say “awww” multiple times. Just what I want from a romantic comedy.
Amrita
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This one's not as good as the other books I've read by the same writer. I loved her Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace and the Spinster series. In this case, the dialogue had its usual charm and wit, but the story didn't really hold its weight. That said, I will look out for the second part, which is due to come out next year.
Paula Bothwell
Just a Name - PG
Violence: none
Language: nothing offensive
Sex: no sex

Where have you been, Becky Monson?! I love to make friends with her heroines and so much enjoyed this book. Our Hero is the Best! Super cute story and wonderful escape.

Keep writing, honey! We are all waiting to see what comes next!
Crissy Sharp
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witty and Fun

I loved this book! The characters felt real. Though flawed like the rest of us, the author made them incredibly likeable. I loved her sense of humor and laughed out loud several times.
Alisa
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story did not go the way I expected it to - and I loved that! I'm excited that there are going to be more books in this series because I loved the secondary characters, too. And I'm so glad they will get their stories.
Caytlin
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect, light chick lit without all the swearing a lot of them have. I was looking for an easy weekend read and this fit the bill perfectly. It was super predictable but still enjoyable. It’s basically the equivalent of a Hallmark or Lifetime movie, so take it for what it is!
Ashley
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Truly enjoyed the wit and sarcasm, and Thomas was by far my favorite character. Unfortunately, there was something lacking in the plot that would have made this a phenomenal, can't put this down kind of read. But a fun read, all the same.
Donna Dv
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun book

This was a lot of fun to read. It was very witty and enjoyable. I was let down by the ending, but loved all the rest of the book.
Brandy
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I actually enjoyed the book for the most part but I hated how it ended. Bleh.
Tamara Niemi
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm not a chick lit reader, but I'm on a work assignment at a refugee crisis and I need some counterbalance to all of that. I guess this is what you want out of a rom-com, if this is your thing. It's a quick read that won't leave you with nightmares about it and right now, that's enough for me.
Kim
Jun 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This was like reading a rom com. Cute and fun, but not life changing. I enjoyed it.
Shoshanna Ford
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun little read. :)
Annabelle Costa
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great idea! Holly gets dumped by her fiance Nathan Jones and has to find another Nathan Jones to take his place on the airline. Honestly, I love Becky's writing so much, she could write an encyclopedia. I love her style! This book made me laugh and it was just so much fun to read! If you love chick lit, you will not be disappointed!
Christie Swan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

This book is a fantastic quick read. It’s full of likable characters, and I can not wait for Quinn’s book!
Kellie Garrett
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Boring

I completed the book, but just barely. I skimmed most of the last 40%. The main character bothered me with all her complaining and there was too much inner dialog. Too many scenes that didn't add anything to the story. Waste of time. Also, it barely had an ending. Nothing was really resolved. Maybe we'll hear more about Holly in the next book in the series, which is about Quinn but honestly, I'm not impressed enough to bother with it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Facial Recognition (Serenity Spa, #1)
  • The Shopping Swap
  • It's Not PMS, It's You
  • Honeymoon for One in Christmas Falls (Return to Christmas Falls #2)
  • The Event (The Creek Water Series, #1)
  • The Move (The Creek Water Series, #2)
  • Fooling In love: A funny & feel-good romantic comedy
  • One Last Blind Date
  • The Honeymooner (Paradise Bay #1)
  • Sooo Not Looking For a Man
  • My Great Ex-Scape
  • Whisked Away (Paradise Bay #2)
  • Relatively Normal (Relativity, #1)
  • My Not So Wicked Stepbrother (My Not So Wicked #1)
  • The Plan (The Creek Water Series, #3)
  • Love and Ohana Drama
  • The Reinvention of Mimi Finnegan (The Mimi Chronicles, #1)
  • Just Another Silly Love Song
By day, Becky Monson is a mother to three young children, and a wife. By night, she escapes with reading books and writing. In her debut novel, Becky uses humor and true-life experiences to bring her characters to life. She loves all things chick-lit (movies, books, etc.), and wishes she had a British accent. She has recently given up Diet Coke for the fiftieth time and is hopeful this time will l ...more