Start by marking “Variant Lost (The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Variant Lost (The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy, #1)

Variant Lost

(The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy #1)

When Evelyn Maynard receives a scholarship to the exclusive Bradford Hills Institute, she’s determined to make a fresh start. The Institute is world renowned for educating and training Variants – the 18% of the population fortunate enough to have superhuman abilities. As a human, she’s lucky to be admitted.

She’s done with fake identities, running and lying but once again
Published November 12th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Variant Lost, please sign up.

Start your review of Variant Lost (The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy, #1)
★Me Myshelf and I★
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like I am winning lately at the game of RH roulette

That unknown new series by the author you have never tried before, the one your friends haven’t read yet? It can be like a game of Russian Roulette but thankfully no one dies except for your faith in that author.

So I’m happy to report this was not one of those!

This is one of those lovely slow YA type journey of discovery and a new beginning at a new school.
Eve has never settled in one place and had a bit of tragedy in her past and
Marguerite (M)
Rating: 4.5 stars

Big YES.
Variant Lost hits all the right spots.

+ Smart, pro active heroine
+ Three dimensional secondary characters
+ Sismance
+ Mystery
+ Action
+ Just enough tragedy
+ Not overly obnoxious harem members
+ Boarding school (cause duh)
+ Not completely romance focused

If I had to list one con? Alec, kind of a miss as the broody dark love interest. The Master of Pain is a bit of a drama queen.

For:
+ Readers that have too many misses with the RH trope

You should also like:
+ Charcoal Tears
+ Gif
Alaina
Couldn't put this ebook down!

Variant Lost is the first book of The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy. In it, you will meet Evelyn.. but she goes by Evie.. Eve.. and that's about it. She's on the run with her mom because she kind of broke the rules. Their rules. Never trust anyone.

So they are on a plane flying to a new destination where she starts a new secret life. Unfortunately things don't go the way they planned. Their plane is attacked she wakes up to find out she's an orphan. A year later, Eve is at s
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ONE LINE REVIEW

The romance was such a slow burn I nearly DNFed thinking there was no chemistry between the characters, but it improved massively and the writing is very good!

(Warning: one of the harem has a huge OW presence)

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

photo c l i m b C2A0e v e r y C2A0m o u n t a i n 2_zpsykn9gbgr.png
taveena kade
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rh-ménage
Although this book strongly resembles the Seraph Black series by Jane Washington, I almost prefer this one over that series. Alec is Silas all the way, Tyler is Miro and Josh and Ethan are definitely the twin. Overall this was actually really good, and I look forward to seeing what happens next.
Katyana
There's stuff that I liked a lot about this book.

- Cool setup, kind of an X-Men thing
- Even though we're dealing with an lead character that is 18, she's had a weird, rough life that has grounded her away from a lot of YA bullcrap that generally makes me DNF.
- We have women characters who are awesome (I feel like lately, in every UF I read, any woman who isn't the lead is some horrid bitch who is trying to bring the lead down). Real girl friend relationships, yay!
- Backstory on Eve that makes m
Tianna✸loves books✸
I always wanted to read RH (Reverse Harem) books. I have tried to read them before but nothing seemed to keep my attention. Then I came across this book which was interesting enough but not for long.

Firstly The Variant has an amazing plot. People in this book have amazon abilities to control the weather or to run faster or to read minds etc etc. Such people are called Variants.

Guy no.1 Tyler
Variant ability : Lie detector
Sweet and understanding
He is Eve’s admin, the university staff member. He
Lucy (HonestlyBookReviews) Joyeux
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
This book was the first in a very long time when I didn’t know what to expect exactly.

Since I’ve never read or heard of Vitals, I didn’t know Who or what they are or what they could do. It was an amazing thing to sidestep from vampires, werewolves, witches and more.

Within the first few pages I was already hooked! I guess the tragedy sucked me in and I wasn’t letting go of that. The mysterious person was my focus same as Evelyn’s, I couldn’t get him out of my head.

The book was just plain amazin
Brandy
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: academy, rh, magic-users
I liked the book. The plot and premise were good, the world was good, the characters were alright (some were a little OTT), but something kept me from being full invested. It wasn't holding my attention so I easily became distracted and would wander off to do something else just to return later. That is the reason for 3 Stars. I do recommend the book and will continue on with the series. ...more
Lissa Hawley
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am picky about my RHs. But I really liked this one. Not too bad on the editing either. Medium burn and excellent plot to sex ratio.
vulturelily
Apr 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
All I can say is that this has been a huge letdown for me.

At first, Variant Lost seemed pretty interesting—a promising synopsis and apparently well liked from the reviews, not to mention the pretty cover.

However, as soon as I finished the first chapter, I knew deep down this wasn't going to be the book for me. Out of faith that it could maybe get better, I read more into it.

Aaaand only got more disappointed. I can't remember one moment I wasn't cringing. It failed in every way where The Raven Cy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge
Evelyn "Eve" has been on the run most of her life, but doesn't know why. A plane crash leaves her without any family or friends until she makes her way to Bradford Hills Institue, a school with a high ratio of Variants (people with special abilities). While there, Eve finds out that she has a special ability that bonds her to a special group of guys.

First, I gotta admit that this reminded me of Kit Davenport: The Complete Series, but with more of sci-fi twist instead of fantasy. If you liked Ki
Naardsbooks
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read advance reading copy in 2018 - review posted elsewhere, however just posting it now on goodreads.

As said above I was generously given an advance reading by Kaydence Snow and in return this is my honest review.

Variant Lost is the first book not only by this author but it is the first book to open my eyes to a story of magic, and it did not dissapoint in delivering an amazing and new experience for me.

This is a reverse harem that I can guarantee is not like what you expect when you hear this
Camila
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reverse-harem
So many things to say, where to start.

First, I had a really hard time with the fully capitalized version of “OK.”
What’s wrong with “okay”???
Or simply “ok”

Lol I know it’s silly, but some things tick me.

I’m actually not sure what to make of this book.

Eve
Some interactions were a little TOO high school for me. I get she’s young but when the book feels like the fantasy fiction version of High School Musical... it doesn’t always attract me. She’s not strong. Slightly annoying. Hoping that progresses i
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Not bad, not bad at all.

I can confidently say this is one of the few RH books I've read where the heroine isn't a complete snowflake. It made for an exciting experience. I liked how the bonds formed, I like the guys in her harem and the writing was pretty good as well.

I hope the energy in this book it spills into the next book because I am pretty invested in finding out what's going on.
Dianna
May 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Lost the plot

Eve has been on the run from an unknown enemy all her life, but all that changes when she loses her mother in a devastating accident.

In Eve’s world 18% of the population are Variants, super powered beings with access to an energy source called the Light. Eve is a brilliant STEM student and after a 12 month period of morning in a small town, she’s offered a scholarship to an elite, prestigious college attended by variants and brilliant humans.

I was hooked initially by Eve’s detached
Indelicate Reviews by DD
Frustration. That is what I feel after reading this. Pure frustration.

First this FMC and multi-MC business was insanely aggravating. I hate hate hate one of the MCs and that would have been acceptable if I had connected on any level with the others. *smh* One treats her like shite, one is overly needy to the point of being childish, one is letting the others pretty much dictate the time he gets with Evie (aka the wimp), and the other is willing to help her but without benefits. The relationship
Silvia Andrito
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pleasant surprise!

I have been trying to find a new RH series to get into while I wait for other favorite authors to write the next book in theirs. So I decided to pick this one up. I was very pleasantly surprised. There is depth to the characters. There is an actual story/mystery happening other than just the characters meeting. The world is well developed. As far as the relationship, it is a slow burn. All in all pretty excited to see where this goes and waiting for the next book!
Uhh hey :)
Dec 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
defiantly YA

So this started out so good, but it turned into a teenage soap real quick. I'm kind of disappointed in the direction the author decided to take this. To much political chit chat, and out MFC, just came across as weak.

Also I posted a review on Amazon after reading this story, and literally two minutes later my comment was deleted and I was told I'm unable to right reviews anymore because I violated there terms.. which I didn't, then I noticed every single come t that wasn't three or
Daisy Delfin
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Annette
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reverse-harem
I love books about geeky girls, about girls with a brain, who are into science, studying hard and getting somewhere. Combine it with a little bit of Sci-Fi and I'm even more interested. Add some reverse harem and it goes on my wishlist. This book was on my Kindle for quite some time already, but for some reason I had forgotten about it. However, when I asked for recs in a group someone reminded me of this one and I just couldn't bring myself to read something else anymore.

From the very first pag
Rhiannon Chillingworth
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would! As a teacher of teenagers, I tend to avoid YA, but while this has the Academy setting and some of the tropes, it was definitely more NA. There were definite YA vibes at times, particularly with Eve's chatacter, but this was only a mild issue for me.

What this book does best is the relationship vibe. If you like The Veil Diaries or Seraph Black, then you're almost certain to like this. In fact, once the similarities to Seraph Black dawned on m
Jenny
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Poorly executed

I wanted to like this because the idea was cool, but the novel was problematic. Unknown guy hugs her in bed for hours in the public space of a hospital no questions asked? Scholarship notice, she leaves next day, and she starts mid-semester? Tyler —whom everyone else calls Gabe—is a school admin but just pals around with undergrads like Ethan?

The ending reads like a sex scene in reverse harem, but the sexual tension in the rest of the novel is inconsistent and unbelievable. The
Jess
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Paranormal reverse harem. The girl doesn't know that she is a supernatural. In this universe it's a genetic difference that sets the supernatural apart from the rest of humanity, and those who have the difference either boost another's power or have have either sort of an elemental (fire, animals, lightening) power or a psychological power (pain, reading minds, talking to animals, blocking power). The main character finds herself at the school where most of the genetically different attend, meet ...more
Kimberly Garner
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this premise! I have not read another book like this. The characters are such a mixed bag, everyone is very individual. The story is gripping, and entertaining, and I could not put it down. It was such a great story that really let the author show her creative voice. I can totally get behind that. Told in 1st person pov.
Kaylee Bradley
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great start to the series!

What an interesting start to this supernatural RH trilogy! Slowwwww burn.

Eve is an 18 year old human girl who has lived a life on the run with her variant mother, with a new identity every few months. her mother has never admitted what they were on the run from, always keeping Eve in the dark for her safety. A year after the death of her mother, Eve receives a scholarship to the top Variant school in the country due to her intelligence. Only variants or super intellig
Tika
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
★★★★★/★★★★★

Book Review: Variant Lost: The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy - Part One by Kaydence Snow

Eve Blackburn has never stayed in one place for any longer than a year, life for her and her mother is a life on the run - and Eve doesn't understand why. Her mother actively discourages Eve from forming any friendships and we start off Variant Lost on Eve's seventeenth birthday, when her mother discovers that she has formed friendships and has a boyfriend, so to Eve's frustration her mother uprootes them
Heather Gilbert
Fantastic beginning to a promising series!

First, I HATE reading the start of a series when the rest are still in the works - especially when they catch me as quickly as this one did! Now, I have to wait till 2019 to continue this sage, but judging by the quality of Variant Lost, it will be worth the wait.

This book takes everything I love about RH, paranormal, science fiction and romance, throws it in a blender and pours out a smooth narrative that flows with mystery, excitement and revelation.
M_C
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

Sigh, I really wanted to like this one but there were just one too many issues for me. The main issue was Eve's "intelligence" and "questions". Okay, we are told over and over again that she asks "too many questions", has a "overly curious mind", is sometimes socially blunt because she "asks rapid fire questions". And yet, we hardly ever see her ask questions or see Eve's "blazing intelligence". Its just a glossed over. What? No! I want to hear her questions and know what she asked. D
Bianca Souza
I'm so glad that I finally got the time to start this series! Since I read a lot I try to only start a new series when there are at least two books out so I waited a long time to grab this one.
I really enjoyed this book and I'm in love with Josh and I'm looking forward to the development of the relationship between Eve and Tyler!
I totally recommend this one!

• The Lost and the Chosen (The Lost Sentinel, #1)
  • Infinity Chronicles: Book One (Infinity Chronicles #1)
  • Awakened And Betrayed (The Lost Sentinel, #2)
  • Void
  • Imposter (The Royal Trials, #1)
  • Gypsy Blood (All The Pretty Monsters, #1)
  • Infinity Chronicles: Book Two (Infinity Chronicles #2)
  • Gypsy Freak (All The Pretty Monsters, #2)
  • Seeker (The Royal Trials, #2)
  • Free Spirit (The Bound Spirit, #2)
  • Bound Spirit (The Bound Spirit, #1)
  • The Vixen's Lead (Kit Davenport, #1)
  • Gypsy Origins (All The Pretty Monsters #3)
  • Signs of Cupidity (Heart Hassle #1)
  • Infinity Chronicles: Book Three (Infinity Chronicles #3)
  • The Marked and the Broken (The Lost Sentinel, #3)
  • Smoke and Wishes (Best Wishes #1)
  • Hunted by Shadows (Shadowborn #1)

The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy (3 books)
  • Vital Found (The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy, #2)
  • Vivid Avowed (The Evelyn Maynard Trilogy, #3)

News & Interviews

“You wouldn’t,” Alec whispered as I passed him. I paused and looked him dead in the eye, injecting as much steel into my voice as I could. “Watch me.” 1 likes
“Told who what?” Ethan asked from the back seat. “Whom,” Josh corrected, keeping his eyes on me. “Man, screw you and your grammatical shit,” 1 likes