Start by marking “Vow of Protection (Personal Protectors #1)” as Want to Read:
Vow of Protection (Personal Protectors #1)

Vow of Protection

(Personal Protectors #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Walker ~

Living a life of privilege isn’t always what it seems to be. While Walker has never wanted for anything material-wise, the two things he doesn’t have are his parents’ love and support. Walker tries his hardest to be the perfect son by allowing his father, the Governor, to dictate his life for him. All that changes when an awful day leads to a brutal night, causing
Published October 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Vow of Protection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vow of Protection

JenMcJ
Oct 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 30% Wow, is this really not a good book. The set up for this is that a "Poor little rich boy" with no backbone or personality hires a caustic @$$hole, stranger with no experience whatsoever to be a personal bodyguard (and who was such a terrible bouncer he let the guy get beat to shit in the first place). Then poof, they are thrown together because spoiled Tool wants him to be his bodyguard for reasons indiscernible to critical thinking people anywhere (and the caustic jerk accepts because ...more
Volha
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
** 2.75 stars **

Bodyguard and his charge - the trope is not a favorite but I decided to give it a try. This author is new to me as well so I didn't know what to expect. I can say that I didn't like most of the book but the ending part made up for it some.

I didn't much like either Walker or Beckett. Walker had that elitist spoiled rich brat attitude for most of the book, he whined a lot and was a complete pushover. Beckett was rude and angry towards Walker which I thought was somewhat unwarrante
Natalie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A new to me author, I was drawn in by the blurb since I like action/suspense. Overall this wasn’t bad, better in the last half than the first. Anything I read all the way through means I at least liked it. There was a lot of potential in the storyline but missed being great with gaps in logic and plot and a couple of areas where extra research might have helped with realism. Characterization for the two main characters was reasonably good, even though Walker’s didn’t always feel like quite the r ...more
Becca Waldrop
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit did this book turn twisted and messed up! It was so GOOD!  I love these flawed characters. It makes everything so seemingly real. They are snarky, bitchy, pissy, and everything in between. But when push comes to shove, they fight, they're loyal, they love and comfort in their own way and give hope when there is none. This was amazingly written. I wanted to shake them half the time and beat the crap out of a few others. You will see lol.

Out of everyone is this book, I felt for Walker.
Nic
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting

This story was filled with action, suspense, intimidation, lust, selfishness and love. There were a few clues hunting at who may have been behind the attempts in Walker's life, but I liked the twist at the end. Now Beckett was not a trained bodyguard but he was ex special forces so was expecting him to be a bit smarter in how he tackled Walker's case. But I guess when emotions are involved it is difficult to see things clearly.
Stefanie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Megan
Walker and Beckett have nothing in common. And when a bar brawl puts them together in a way neither anticipated, it opens a door to a lot more than a job opportunity. Since Walker is straight it shouldn't be a problem to move Beckett in with him to protect him from a biker gang's retribution. But when the threats become more personal, more violent, both men realize that nothing is as it seems.

Beckett's inner thoughts were glaringly harsh. All the name calling, belittling, mocking, sneering, disr
Xanthe
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic new series! It's full of suspense, emotion and a strong connection between our MC's.
Walker is in need of protection and he deems Beckett the only option for his security. He cannot explain his innate trust in the man but he's trusting it and Beckett to keep him safe the constant attacks on his life.
Beckett has his own issues going on but his number one priority soon becomes keeping Walker safe and trying to find out and understand who is trying to hurt him. What starts out as a
Kendra T
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Walker is a prissy, stuck up, rich jerk who has a lot of crap dealt to him. Beckett is a bouncer who saves Walker after getting beat up. Walker is afraid of being hurt again, so he hires Beckett as his bodyguard. Of course more threats come and there is a lot of drama, but Walker and Beckett get closer through it all.

I liked the story, even though I figured out pretty early on part of the mystery of who the bad guy was. Walker’s cockiness and bad attitude was a bit off putting in the beginning,
Tracey
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, contemporary
First time reading this author and I liked the book!

Privileged Walker Cardwell had the world at his feet - at least on the outside. His family was wealthy, his father running for reelection as governor and he worked as his dad's campaign manager. He had everything money could buy. Except he'd caught his girlfriend cheating on him with his best friend in HIS bed, his father was a verbally abusive, domineering asshole, his mother lived her world through the haze of medication and he had his own de
Ashley
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Walker has lived a life of privilege. His father is influential in the community and wealthy. Walker does what his father expects of him, not what he wishes to do in life. He ends up with a degree in political science, working his father’s campaign, and trying to not be a disappointment that his father seems to believe him to be. After a misfortunate night at a biker bar, Walker gets the tar beaten out of him and the bouncer, Beckett, has to save and get him to the hospital.

Beckett is nothing l
Kendra Patterson
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Walker Cardwell the privileged son of the governor is having a bad life. He's always been treated like a failure by his father, his mother is emotionally beat down and can't help him out and to top it off he comes home to find his girlfriend in his bed with his best friend. After throwing the two out he decides to tie one on at the closest bar he can find. After getting stumbling drunk he decides to try line dancing and falls into the wrong lady, which leads to him getting beat up and ending up ...more
Kathryn Manzella
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Walker is the privileged son of a political figure who experiences one hell of a day. Berated by his father, betrayed by his girlfriend and best friend,  and then finally gets pummeled due to a drunken blunder with the wrong man's girl. Ending up in the hospital, broken and bruised, he makes the decision to hire the tattooed bouncer that saved him the night before. Something tells him this man is the only one he can trust to protect him.

Beckett is an ex-military man who has been working as a bo
Tanja
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this enemies-to-lovers story. It is fast-paced, filled with action, hot, sexy, and fun.
After being threatened, Walker needs a bodyguard, although he doesn’t want one. His only stipulation is that he gets to choose the man. Enter Beckett, retired special forces, who has better things to do than babysitting a rich, spoiled brat like the governor’s son.
I loved the snarky banter between these two men. They so don’t like each other. In between running for their lives and keepin
Amy Dufera
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vows of Protection is the first book in what appears to be a fantastic new series, Personal Protectors, by Brittany Cournoyer.

When we meet Walker, he's upset on having caught his best friend and boyfriend together. Soon he ends up at a bar, gets into a fight, and is helped by Beckett. And what a man Beckett turns out to be! Not only is he a former military man who has PTSD, he is the perfect man to help Walker.

Someone is targeting Walker, so he hires Beckett to be his bodyguard. What follows is
Badh
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this story. It wasn't bad. It had an interesting premise. It's a solid 3.5

Beckett works as the bouncer at his uncle's bar. He has PTSD and was discharged from the military because of it. One night, an entitled little snot walked in and ended up getting the everloving crap beaten out of him. Beckett saved him and got him to the hospital, but figured that he'd never see him again.

Walker is the son of the governor and he just walked out of his apartment after finding his girlfrie
Beth
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story but could use better editing and proofreading

3.5 Stars...The bones of a good story are here. The MCs are interesting with some good backstory. Interesting plot developments. Some are a surprise, others pretty obvious. Elements of the story come out of nowhere and that’s jarring. There are also pretty stupid errors made by the MC who is ex special forces, working with another ex- special forces guy...no one thinks about them being able to be tracked via their cell phones? Anyone who”s
Dixiecowgirl
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Action, romance, steamy connections, suspense and a great story-line makes a 5 star read!! I so enjoyed the characters, they were so different, yet had this connection that you could feel as they struggled to figure themselves out. I read this in one sitting, i got so involved in the story.

i loved Beckett from the start and as the story unfolds i found the real person under Walker's snark and attitude. The supporting characters were awesome and i cannot wait to get the scoop on Carter!
The FBI
Sheridan
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Ohhh this was a great read! Kept me in suspense while falling in love with all the characters!
I felt sorry for Walker, his father is a total douche and his mother isn’t in the right mind anymore. He has no one to rely on. So when Walker goes on the loose once again at a bar, he puts himself in a bit of trouble and hospital!
Beckett works at the bar for his Uncle, so when the entitled Walker finds trouble, he can’t seem to leave him.
We learn of Walkers past when danger comes knocking on his door.
Pat
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suspense at it's best!

Walker Cardwell was fed up with being controlled by his father, the Governor, and reached breaking point when he discovered his best friend had betrayed him. After a bad decision , he was rescued by war vet Beckett. He offers Beckett a job as his bodyguard after the events that brought them together. Someone is out to get Walker, and despite the bickering and the snark, Beckett will do everything to keep him safe. Walker has always identified as straight and finds his attra
Karen Edwards
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Walker is your typical spoiled rich boy, wants for nothing, but there's more to him that meets the eye. Beckett was content do his job as a doorman to his uncle, Rusty's bar, until Walker comes into his life. When Walker's life is threatened, he hires the only man whom he trusts to protect him, Beckett. These two characters! They were so fun. I totally loved the way they bickered! This to me was a great opposites attract kind of read, with a side of suspence. This is not my first time reading an ...more
Jennifer Reilley
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this first book of a new series and LOVED it.

Walker hired Beckett to protect him from some trouble he got into and as the days go on things get worse Walker.

This is a fast moving book, which I love, bringing in new characters for future books. I fell in love with Uncle Rusty and Carter. Man I can’t wait to see what is going on with Carter

Beckett and Walker are super sweet, sexy, sassy, and just so perfect for each other. This book has so many twists and turns you never knew exa
T
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vow Of Protection is the start to a new series by Brittany Cournoyer.
We have Walker who reluctantly needs personal protection and his chosen bodyguard Beckett who is retired military. Beckett feels that he has better things to do than babysit spoiled rich brats and Walker isn't any more thrilled with the situation. Their dislike for each other and resulting snark was amusing as was reading their very slow burn romance!
I enjoyed this enemies-to-lovers story. It had a fair amount of action with a
kathleen
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this bodyguard love story. It really had an almost enemy to lovers feel to it. Walker and Beckett couldn't be more opposite from each other. Walker comes from a privileged background and Beckett from a working class one.

The snark between these two is great and makes up a large part of their connection. At first you think they can't stand each other but it really is their coping mechanism in dealing with life's difficulties.

The action in this story held my interest and I really
Lindsay Crook
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Not for me..

I love a good security/protection book but sadly this was not as good as it could be..The two main characters Beckett and Walked are both really unlikable Walker is whiney and pretentious and Beckett is just an a** his dislike of Walker is based on him saying right at the start "do you know who I am" and he sucked at being a bouncer Walker got the hell beat out of him and Beckett didn't even know..Walker hires Beckett after he "saved his life" eerrmm no he took you to the hospital th
DTM
4.5 stars!! Brava Ms. Brittany...I would say this is your best yet!! It was such a great read, like I had a huge smile on my face when I finished. I love me a good bodyguard story and you did not disappoint. It was exciting, with some unexpected surprises, which I absolutely loved! There was awesome banter, hot schmexy times and some really tender moments. The pace was excellent as I read it one sitting!! Loved the secondary characters as well..Looking forward to reading Carter's story!!
Heather Rawlins
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always find it interesting to read a story about the poor little rich boy and this was definitely a good story. And army guys are just so freakin’ hot. I liked a little mystery and enjoyed the pace of the story. I really liked the secondary characters, too. It was a sweet story and I really liked the romance, and would definitely recommend this book and look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Tanya
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
wow, this book had some twists I didn't see coming. It was very well written, plot lines and timelines all flowed well and were consistent. This book has a great romance but isn't the main plot of the book. The suspense/mystery takes up most of the action of this book.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series as Carter is a mystery I would love to solve. There is no cliffhanger of anytime leading to the next book, leaving it to be an interconnected standalone series which I love.
Helen
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
*arc received in exchange for an honest review*

Addicted from the very first word! Walker and Beckett were such contrasting characters that of course their chemistry was off the charts and they were perfect for each other. It was fast-paced, filled with drama and such hot moments between the two leads - not going to lie, at times I thought it’d become MMM when Beckett’s friend Carter turned up but I can’t be disappointed when book two is his story! Terrific read and I can’t wait for book two.
Tracy Perry
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brittany is a new author to me & this is the first book I read from her. I'm so glad I did, it was a great book it was so full of suspense, drama & emotions. Poor Walker, born rich, sarcastic ,being used & his parents suck... I ended up loving him though.Beckett, loved him right away. I'm so glad he saved Carter at the bar & afterwards. Happy they got each other! A TBR!!
Can't wait for Carter's book!!