Start by marking “The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

The Beautiful

(The Beautiful #1)

New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with a sumptuous, sultry and romantic new series set in 19th century New Orleans where vampires hide in plain sight.

In 1872, New Orleans is a city ruled by the dead. But to seventeen-year-old Celine Rousseau, New Orleans provides her a refuge after she's forced to flee her life as a dressmaker in Paris. Taken in by the
Expected publication: October 8th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Beautiful by Renée Ahdieh
    The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
    Release date: Oct 08, 2019
    Enter to win an advance reading copy of THE BEAUTIFUL by Renée Ahdieh!

(No PO boxes please)

New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 6886 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 08 - Jul 07, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
    YA Novels of 2019
    796 books — 2,187 voters
    King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi
    Can't Wait Books of 2019
    1,348 books — 3,294 voters

More lists with this book...

Sabaa Tahir
    Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I read this book as Renee wrote it, which meant that she sent me sections of it, I read them and then got really upset because I didn't have more, and then pestered and bothered her until she gave me the rest. I finished it recently and it is FANTASTIC. An incredibly ornate, lush New Orleans; characters who imprint themselves on your memory forever; a story that is nail-biting and swoony and satisfying and tense ALL AT THE SAME TIME. And of course...VAMPIRES.

This is a one of a kind book, by a s
    Chaima ✨ شيماء
    I’m really glad that we, as a society, haven’t grown tired of stories about vampires. At least we did that right.
    destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
    I say this with all seriousness: please let 2019 be the year we bring back vampires in YA
    Emily May
    I'm definitely ready to welcome vampires back into my life.
    Roshani Chokshi
    HI OMG THE NEWS IS OUT AND YOU GUYS ARE NOT READY FOR THIS. I had the extraordinary privilege to read this story in draft & it's intoxicating. THE BEAUTIFUL has that decadent, slow-moving horror that feels like a dream slipping to nightmare. It's like walking alone down a twilight street and feeling the snap of a branch behind you and that acidic heart-in-your-throat rush of knowing that you're being followed. Stalked.
    chan ☆
    Mar 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
    and i say unto you: YEE YEE BITCHES I GOT AN ARC IN HAND
    Renée Ahdieh
    May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    IDK . . . I guess if you like vampires and stuff, you’ll probably dig it 😘
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Jun 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Recommended to Chelsea by: Jamie
    *Arc provided via the wonderful Jamie! She snagged a copy for me at BEA at Meltotheany's insistence and I couldn't be more grateful!!!

Mary S. R.
    Apr 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Recommended to Mary by: Niklaus Mikaelson
    [I did something to the synopsis for TVD/Originals fans somewhere in there]

First, let's get the overused but utterly true pun out of the way: just look at The Beautiful cover 😂 Funny, right!? No.

Now, let's get serious. I'm hear to warn y'all that this is a Vampire conspiracy and the bloodsucking terrors of the night are back to take over. Yes. We. Are. Doomed. It's not a coincidence that Jay Kristoff is also publishing a vampire series in 2020, nope.

And guess what? I'm 99.9% sure Niklaus Mikaels
    Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
    Jan 03, 2019 marked it as tbr-highly-interested
    So the cover is AWESOME! The Twilight puns had been removed from the final synopsis, which is a good thing, as I know (hope) this book will slay entirely on its own regardless! If this book will be anything at all like the Originals, I'm going to be one happy reader! Bring on the dark and murder-y vampires!

*****************************

Unpopular Opinion Time: I think indirectly making fun of Twilight in the synopsis of this new vampire book is just too conventional and unprofessional from whoever
    Lilith Black
    Feb 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Oh... VAMPIRES! I didn't know I need them back in my life until now!!!
    Angelica
    Mar 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
    vampires are making a comeback and I am nothing if not ABSOLUTELY here for it!
    Thirteen year old me is reliving her Twilight obsession and I'm so ready for this!

Follow Me Here Too: My Blog || Twitter || Bloglovin' || Instagram || Tumblr
    Rachel (rachandbooks)
    Oct 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Renee Ahdieh is writing a vampire murder mystery/love story set in 19th century New Orleans??? SIGN. ME. UP.
    Karen
    Oct 09, 2018 marked it as must-read
    NEW ORLEANS? VAMPIRES?

SIGN ME THE HELL UP.
    Karima chermiti
    Dec 26, 2018 marked it as to-read

A paranormal historical fiction mystery that takes place in New Orleans with Vampires? October is so far away and I can't deal with waiting, I need this book like Yesterday.

I'll be going NUTS
    ELLIAS (elliasreads)
    Oct 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2019-books
    Three things:

1. My sister was almost named Celine LOL.

2. Um, we all dam know the love interest isn't going to be the serial killer. But if he is...literally kinda lame but also a plot twist we wouldn't see coming but IDK this is YA lmao.

3. V A M P I R E S??? Only reason why i click: 'want to read'. :)

Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
    Erin
    Jun 08, 2019 is currently reading it
    I am reading and reviewing this book for the website Bookish.
    Vicky Who Reads
    Oct 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
    watch Renee bring back vampires in YA!!! and omg I bet there'll be QPOC vampires!!! (if not, be prepared for a riot courtesy of moi)
    Jaye Berry
    May 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
    My friend just got the arc in the mail and lent to me and... love her but mistakes were made. Super yikes.

The Beautiful is being sold as some killer vampire romance murder mystery, set in a rich historical New Orleans. This ain't it chief. This book has shaded Twilight in the summary and said how this is the return of violent vampires in YA but the cover is even pretty similar to Twilight? Funny how it goes through all that to just be a discount, knock-off Twilight anyway.

Here is a thing that is
    Anna
    Jan 17, 2019 marked it as unreleased
    1/17/2019: The cover is BEAUTIFUL.
    Tashie
    i can't wait for renée ahdieh to make me love vampires again because i know for a fact that she will
    mith
    Shelves: 2019-publication
    VAMPIRES ARE MAKING A COMEBACK AND I'VE NEVER FELT MORE ALIVE
    Elise (TheBookishActress)
    May 15, 2019 marked it as releases-2019
    | releases: 8 Oct 2019 |
    Fantasy, set in New Orleans in 1872, but featuring vampires, and a city underground, and an investigation into underground murders, and maybe some mysterious protagonist backstory, aka all the things I’m here for at all times
    Lauren
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: young-adult
    How I’ve missed good vampire stories - and I will not spoil the marvelous twist at the end, but WOW! Left with a killer cliffhanger and SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

This is a work of historical and preternatural beauty. Romantic, fiercely feminine, and perfect for those of us who love vampiric YA.
    Meaghan
    May 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: 2019
    Edit: I just lowered this even further to 1 star because I have been trying to figure out the lore for the past half hour with two others who have read the book and we are getting absolutely nowhere because of what a mess it all is.

1 Star

Full review to come

There were a few scenes I genuinely enjoyed, and I could see myself loving this book if it didn't have some really shitty plot choices, character traits, and world building issues that overshadowed and ruined literally everything.
    Ashlee » Library In The Country
    I’m not usually one for vampire stories but I saw Renee Ahdieh and New Orleans and I changed my mind. 😍
    Azrah
    Jan 17, 2019 marked it as crushing-that-tbr-2019
    Shelves: 2019-release
    Vampire books have the great potential to really suck. I always end up picking the wrong ones. But I love this description and I love the cover so... Please let this not suck?
    ☽ TheBibliotheque
    Is New Orleans a thing now?
    Are vamps coming back?
    BECAUSE I APPROVE.

˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
    Apr 22, 2019 marked it as 2019-anticipated-releases
    apparently vampires are making a comeback in 2019, and i’m absolutely here for it.
    ✩ Ashley ✩
    You had me at *vampires* in 19th-century New Orleans 🖤 Please be brutal and wicked and I’ll love you for the rest of my mortal life
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
    new orleans, vampires and more? 1 20 Oct 09, 2018 11:54AM

• The Midnight Lie
    • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
    • The Kingdom of Back
    • Ninth House
    • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
    • The Candle and the Flame
    • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
    • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
    • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
    • The Half King (Untitled #1)
    • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
    • The Girl the Sea Gave Back
    • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
    • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
    • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
    • The Harp of Kings
    • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
    • Eight Will Fall
    THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

The Beautiful (2 books)
    • Untitled (The Beautiful, #2)