Start by marking “The Secret Runners of New York” as Want to Read:
The Secret Runners of New York

The Secret Runners of New York

' The windows on all the skyscrapers are smashed . . .
No power, no lights, no people . . .
It's a parallel New York of some kind. '

THE COMING END

CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET?

And then
Expected publication: March 26th 2019 by Hot Key Books

Brenda
Twin siblings, Skye and Red Rogers had no choice but to move to Manhattan when their father became unable to care for them, (plus an incident from Skye’s past had bearing on the decision) but to move in with their mother and step-father was not what Skye wished for. She and her mother had never seen eye to eye; but going to a new high school was even worse to comprehend. Red immediately slotted in with the cool kids – that was his way – but Skye was awkward and uncomfortable. It was Jenny who ma ...more
Krystal
This is the perfect novel to introduce YA fans into the action-packed world(s) of Matthew Reilly.

It's not a traditionally YA novel, nor is it the fast-paced, explosive thriller that most of Reilly's work is. It blends the two to create something totally unique and for that it's going to attract a wide variety of readers.

Naturally, this is my JAM.

✓Love action.
✓Love YA.
✓Love MR.
✓Love rich kid drama.

This was always going to be a win for me.

It's so strange to read Rich Kid Drama written by the
Jenniely
Mar 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I was sent this via Netgalley for an honest review.
I'm only 5% into this book and it's already so problematic - has it not been edited?
Sexism
Ableism
Racism

YEP. The trifecta.
This isn't the first time a very popular male author has tried his hand at a YA novel, only to make these mistakes (I'm looking at you, Killer T).
From the girl who has Down Syndrome and is described as 'moon faced' and is part of a little sister program that is only there to SHOW THE OTHER STUDENTS HOW FORTUNATE THEY ARE.

I m
Annie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5-4 stars. Having never tapped into Matthew Reilly before, this was my introduction to his work. For me the book was easy to follow and very fast paced but the characters annoyed me although the dynamic between the siblings was interesting. I guess I find spoilt rich kids eye roll worthy lol the mystery of missing kids in an elite school, the time travel aspect and societal breakdown in New York was what held my attention to the end. This book took me on an adventure I didn’t ex ...more
Connor Franks
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
(3.5) If it hadn't been for the first 1/4 of this book, it would have been a solid 4 stars. The book began so slow, it was boring and I didn't think I was going to like it. But, as the story developed it picked up pace and was an amazing story.
I like the use of time travel in this book and the fact that the global apocalypse wasn't zombies but was a gama cloud, I thought this was unique as most apocalyptic books are cliche with zombies. Also, the writing was good and the gruesome, violent descr
Basyirah
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon.
Oliver Clarke
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Full review coming soon on scifiandscary.com

‘The Secret Runners of New York’ describes itself as ‘Mad Max’ meets ‘Gossip Girl’. If that sounds like a weird combination it’s because it is, and as a result the book doesn’t work at all. Mathew Reilly’s books have always been a bit silly, but this YA entry takes that to new levels with a completely nonsensical plot, unpleasant characters and some frankly offensive politics. It’s readable for the most part, but a complete waste of time.
Nikki
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I’m going to preface this by saying that I am a HUGE Matthew Reilly fan. Have been for years. And I was therefore super excited for this book!

The trailers really worked to set up the book too - they gave a good hint of the atmosphere and the glimpses into the future. And the time travel element is classic MR - possibly Mayan temple portal? It could have come straight for the Jack West series, or even Temple!
legenbooksdary
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most dystopian books that I read are either in a series or that the apocalypse part of the story has already happened. Yet this book is a standalone that is so packed with mind blowing events and reading this book has really given me a real insight on what could be happening of the end of the world in the form of the gamma cloud but it comes with a twist. It was like if Gossip Girl and 2012 had a child together with all the high school drama including of popularity and the world at the brink of ...more
Julie Garner
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, young-adult
I received an ARC of this novel.
Take a break from the intense action of the Jack West Jnr and Scarecrow novels and read this standalone Secret Runners of New York. Good fun, still lots of action and a little bit of spoiled rotten kids. Did I mention Time Travel???
The elite kids of New York have become the secret runners. Why do some of them keep disappearing without a trace? What has happened to them? Skye and her brother Red are the newest kids to attend the elite school where kids go missing.
Tricia Rose
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Proof copy provided by Pan Macmillan Aus. All opinions are my own. I don’t really know how I felt about this book. The prologue grabbed my attention straight away and I thought YES this is going to be great...but then the next 60 pages or so were so over written - focusing purely on the socialites of New York and how much they spend and how bitchy they are. I honestly felt like a male author was really struggling to write a female character and decided females simply must want to hear about desi ...more
Kay
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a long time, die hard fan of Matthew Reilly, I was naturally keen to read his new stand alone novel- the secret runners of New York.
Although Matthew doesn't regard it as a young adult novel himself, it does come across as a Young adult read.
Having taken that on board, it is a well written, fast paced novel.
Whilst his Jack West Jr. and Scarecrow enthusiast fans may find it disappointing - (no maghooks ), I can assure you there are plenty of gruesome deaths, nasty characters and a new female pr
Karen Barber
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Time travel with purpose. Action-packed, interesting characters and a concept that sounds credible means this all combines for a great read.
Long story short, in New York rumours abound that the world is going to end. Nobody is quite sure what will happen, but plans are made by those who can.
Skye and her brother have recently moved to the city. They slowly become acquainted with a very exclusive group of students - and as we draw closer to the group and work out their secret it is intriguing.
I w
Carmen
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5/ 5 ☆
This is no ordinary just a parallel universe, it is something beyond that.

Full Review: https://bookiemunchie.wordpress.com/2...
Karina
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
Well, this was a smashing disappointment. A truly weird combination of offensive, boring and his usual overly gruesome deaths (which works well in his usual stories, but really sticks out in this book).

It was definitely thrilling and really creepy during the second half of the book and these were the moments that I enjoyed. There just wasn't a lot of substance to the characters or the plot - a lot felt either really under-explained so it skimmed over the science aspects, or over-explained to dum
Atlas
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
at the school where new girls go missing, I was the new girl

When Skye Rogers and her twin brother Red move to Manhattan, rumours of a coming global apocalypse are building. But this does not stop the young elite of New York from partying without a care. And then suddenly Skye is invited to join an exclusive gang known as the Secret Runners of New York.

* * * *
4 / 5

The Secret Runners of New York got weirder and crazier as the book went on until it reached the heights of weirdness and then ended in
Nadya Ruskowa

Many thanks to Readers First and Hot Key Books for providing me with free proof of a copy in exchange for my honest review. All the thoughts are mine!

After, I read the except form the book I was thrilled by the first chapter of it about Becky’s last run. Maybe, it was it that made me want to read the book. Though, the next chapters questioned my wish. (I’ll explain below.) This is my introduction to Matthew Reilly book and so far I like it, although it is
Aria
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review can also be found at Snow White Hates Apples.

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Thank you so much Pansing for sending me the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review! Matthew Reilly's The Secret Runners of New York will be available at all good bookstores.

WARNING: SPOILERS!

The Secret Runners of New York describes itself as Mad Max meets Gossip Girl. Unfortunately, I only vaguely know of Gossip Girl, but if it’s anything similar to Mean Girls then, that description is spot on. For so
Marjorie
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do not be deceived, this book is marketed as being a YA novel and I can only imagine that this is because the main protagonists in the book are all still in High School with an average age of 16. The story itself is very definitely for an older audience as well, there is no attempt made by the author to do anything but tell a great story and that, in itself, means that labels should be overlooked, after all they are something arbitrarily imposed.

In some ways this is a coming of age story and it
Danielle
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proof copy provided by Pan Macmillan Australia. Opinions are my own.

Okaaay.

So this was an interesting read for me. It had all the hallmark features of a Matthew Reilly novel. Suspense, action, thrills, grizzly deaths, and a mystery we need to figure out before the book ends. But it was also a book that perhaps could have been executed a little differently.

Skye Rogers is the hero of this piece: she's 16 years old, wealthy, and has recently moved to New York City with her new stepfather and mum. S
Hayley
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

I do loves me a good YA read, and this was one that was incredibly original and I was utterly hooked.

In the Secret Runners of New York we meet Skye and her twin brother Red. They have just moved into their mother's boyfriends very affluent building in New York and start at an incredibly prestigious private school.

As the rumours of the impending apocalypse are circulating and people are seriously considering how to cope with the incoming gamma cloud that will knock out all electrics (including mo
Jessica M
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok

The Secret Runners of New York is a new standalone YA novel by well-known Australian author Matthew Reilly.

When Skye Rogers moves to Manhattan to attend an expensive private school, she befriends a group of popular girls. One of the girls — Misty — has an amulet that allows them to be transported approximately 20 years in the future, where they can run beneath Central Park.

Skye is shocked to find that 20 years in the future, the world is a wasteland. After some time, th
thelittlebookster
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘚𝘦𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘵 𝘙𝘶𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬 is the first YA novel from the multi-million copy bestselling author, Matthew Reilly."

This the first time I'm reading Reilly's work. One thing I'm really grateful for is his writint style. It is succinct, yet it carries sufficient details. Thus, the pace of the story is just right. I thought the story was original and sufficiently filled twists, which I did not expect (this peaked my interest further)

At Monmouth, status is everything. Since it is a school for the
Aoife
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, a2, a4n, hot-key, mar, nyp
This is a fantastic read. I read it in one go, I really wanted to find out what would happen. It's time travel that makes sense, which is rare in stories that try to explain things. He very effectively conveys the creepiness of an abandonded New York.

(The pedant in me is forced to point out that the girls can't be using gasoline in the twenty two years ahead future; gas is absolutely worhtless after, at the very best, five years.)

I did have a problem with the characters, though; with two excepti
Lejlika
First I love this cover even more when I first seen it real. Inside you can find few maps and some pictures what is strange but it helps you imagine better picture of this story. And cherry of the cake on the every new part was new quote. Some thought was dark but I like them.
''Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead'' (my favorite)
Back to the story...
I'd give 4 stars but with first half of book I wasn't satisfied.
After preview I was little bit sceptic and worried that book doesn't sat
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reading copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, what a book! Reilly has created the ultimate stand-alone novel, perfect for readers who want to dip their toes into the pool of Reilly's writing and adventures.

The whole idea of time travel in this way, is completely mind blowing to me. That the portal only opens in a specific part of the year and that it only lets teens ages 13-18 through, is something I want to know more about. Skye’s fathe
Scott
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from Readers First in exchange for an honest review.

I was torn between 3 and 4 stars for this one. It took a little while to get going as it sets up all the back story, then when it finally did pick up it zoomed to it's climax.

The main characters are enjoyable to follow, if a bit cliche for the high school age kids - the usual mix of outsiders, in crowd, bullies, victims etc from most schools and how they can quickly fall between the different categories upon
Franceska Madden
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is honestly amazing. It is a YA novel- NOT a teen novel. You do not want to buy this novel for people under 12 because, in places, there is quite a fair bit of violence which even as a 20 year old made me feel slightly uncomfortable- which is great writing from Reilly, because it really is a special kind of YA novel. The teenagers feel like teenagers, something many writers seem unable to do. I love dystopian and apocalypse novels but this is an amazing twist on a genre that can often ...more
Molly
Mar 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
**SLIGHT SPOILERS**

I have to say I was massively disappointed in this book. Despite Reilly’s bestselling status for adult thrillers, his attempt at YA was appalling in how it was handled. The novel has issues with racism, ableism and dismisses serious mental health problems. There is also the problem of a male author writing as a female protagonist and not understanding female characters at all. The whole ‘I don’t wear makeup so I must be ugly’ culture is disgusting and is certainly not somethin
Lois (thecarrotstories)
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ALMOST SHAT MYSELF !!

Described as GOSSIP GIRLS meets MAD MAX, The Secret Runners of New York focuses on telling the story about Skye and her friends before and after the world meets an apocalyptic event. The concept and insanity of the characters were very thrilling for me and I loved how the dramatic bitchiness displayed by the Queen Bees (Misty, Chastity, Hattie & Verity) were included in the story.

The Secret Runners of New York is set in the present time in New York where all the rich a
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.