Start by marking “Dungeon Master” as Want to Read:
Dungeon Master

Dungeon Master

(Dungeon Master #1)

What would you do if you were the most powerful dungeon deity in the world and the bindings keeping you trapped within your dungeon were broken?

Would you escape? Would you acquire a party of beautiful female minions? Would you use your new minions to conquer other dungeon deities, consume their magic, and grow even more powerful? Would you take over the world?

Would you
Published October 8th 2018

Start your review of Dungeon Master
Jay Collins
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars, I did like it for the most part but I did have some issues with the story/plot holes and characters. I have liked other books by this author more but I will continue with this series.
Jake
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Hard to get started

I really only enjoyed the last half of the book and the first half took nearly a week to get through because I kept switching out to other books.
I enjoyed the author's other book, Planet Broker, very much.
I think my problem with this book was the inconsistent nature of the MC, being beaten over the head with topics, and the rather slow pacing/buildup of the other characters
I did, as I said, enjoy the back half of the book. The character development of the other characters rea
Cr Rider
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Underwhelming

Read this book because this author has two others that are good . However, this story was not quite about a dungeon. Moreover, this Saddam old powerful god but hardly demonstrates any godly ability or powers. This story is dry and somewhat predictable. Confusing departure from his usual fare.
George Saoulidis
Carmedy is the best.
Bigmohunter
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great start to the series!

Once powerful god get banished to a dungeon to live for the rest of time. He manages to escape. Now he gathers power to get back at those who wronged him. Not your normal dungeon core book.
Kara
Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF'd after 14 seconds - a new record. Annoying as F'K narrator voice. ...more
Vaidotas
Oct 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, rpg
VERY naive and cliche story and characters. Feels like preteen boy writes his own fantasies. Not having in mind the readers.
And still good read when you want something super simple to relax and don't think. Well maybe just the writing style is also a bit tedious to read because, writer don't feel how much details he should write and what to leave for imagination.

Edit: dropped reading at tome 2. Because stupidity of the story, plot flaws and annoying style became intolerable...
Seriously looks lik
Dave Stone
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Remedial level plot & dialog. 1 brief sex scene out of nowhere. borders on WTF did I just read.

This book is jarring and discordant. This book just isn't very bright. The thing that kept me going is that it always seems on the verge of becoming something. Smarter, sexier, Focused, or entertaining, Dungeon Master seems likes it's about to stop limping and take off. I confess that I mistook this for an erotic harem novel, it is not. I do have lower expectations for books with smoking hot sex scen
Isaac
Apr 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ehhh...to keep it short...

The whole story is underwhelming. The beginning is very slow and boring. All you get is the "dungeon master" monologuing. And the master is also underwhelming. The dungeon felt so weak. For a god, he doesn't really have much magical powers or able to bestow upon others or craft magical items or anything. Someone said the second half is better but the thing is, you need to get pass the first half to get to the second half. And that's not happening. The first real battle
Douglas Debner
May 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Note: I listened to the audio books of Dungeon Master 1 & 2 but I am putting my review here since the audio versions are not listed on Goodreads.com at this time. Book 2 in this series isn't currently listed on Goodreads.com either but when it is (if I notice, which I won't) I'll just copy and paste this review.

Having listened to first two books in this series I have the same review for both. They are written for morons. The MC, a fallen god who takes some noob adventurers under his wing, repea
Bob McGough
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book type it seems isn't for me. It's written fine from a craft stand point, nothing wrong there, but the content was a little...oof. ...more
MKenfield21
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sort of like Everybody Loves Large Chests, except without humor, crafting, leveling, or Fizzy.
Sam Koumi
Dungeon Master 1 by Eric Vall, narrated by Joshua Story is an audio book that I really did want to like. However, it didn't reach my expectations.

This book has most of what makes me want to read/listen to a book, even before I start; it's a fantasy Book, it has LitRPG elements, the main character is insanely OP, there's cute girls that can stand up for themselves, and more. Sadly, Vall compensates for all these positives through making it dangerously generic.

Being generic is not always a bad thi
John
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Rough Finish, No World Boundaries, Failed Female Heroes
At the very beginning of the book, there is a party of female adventurers. Sounds good, some strong female characters able to fend for themselves.

Quickly goes downhill. They are incompetent, all seriously limited and flawed, and quickly end up subservient to a Masculine incarnate dungeon, who, of course, makes them call him master (Dungeon Master, GET IT!)

Annalise, impetuous to the point of rash, charges in without a plan constantly.
Carmedy
Travis
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent story. I wouldn't call it LitRPG though, even though amazon showed it as a link when I was searching for such. It seems to be more of a quest and conquer type of tale, even though it's not presented in either form. It's nice to see a main character with virtually unlimited power actually not using it, to drive the story along, that's unusual, so definitely points for that.
It's interesting we never learn the main character's name, but I guess that was supposed to add to the suspense of
Daniel
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Extremely weak plot

The plot was extremely weak. The main character had awkwardly forced limitations that were obviously there only to keep him from just overpowering any problems because he was written too powerful from the start but even then most of the problems ended up being solved by him just waving the problem away with his ridiculous "I'm a super god" powers. The character were not horrible but very stilted in personality and development. There is hope for future stories but they will nee
Niels Baumgartner
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully done

Have slight issues with bits of it if I’m being picky. But I love the idea and how the author illustrated the journey so far. Excellent book.
Only thing I would recommend to the author is to draw on historical roots for examples of tactics and strategy. They are easier to copy than one might think and will help develop a depth I feel is lacking in bits of the story. To be clear, I didn’t feel like this detracted much at all as it is mainly a story of freedom, friendship, and dung
Ian
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
It's okay

It's not bad, dialogue is okay, plot is okay it's all fine. But there is a lot of potential that feels squandered, the MC is both super old and wise and acts like a teenager it's very jarring. The women's personalities are too reliant on their quirks and not actual personalities. And the situations should be more advanced then just fighting bandits or random group of brothers. He kills hundreds of adventurers but these women are good enough to spare, but can barely do anything. Might as
Jeff Nason
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good start to a strong fantasy adventure

Eric Vall is a very good writer and this book is professionally edited. The overall premise is interesting and a fun adventure to follow. The issues that keep this from being a 5-start review for me are that some aspects seem too formulaic and predictable and sometimes the dialog is stilted by repetitiveness. I definitely recommend it and will be checking out the next book in the series to see what happens. I am sure I will enjoy the journey.
Paps
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gods, fantasy, elves
Finally maged to read this and I have to tell you it was exasperating, the story is quite unexciting (If thats even a word) I mean the whole story feels like the mc just knows how to glorify himself, by actually doing nothing of worth. The training the minions things felt lazy, how he judged every antagonist he run across as evil, scum, unforgivable villain for doing the exact same thing he has been doing since he felt in the dungeon. In resume the story has an interesting plot but the characte ...more
Jordan Pedigo
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably closer to a 4.5 but still great

The only problem I had with this book, was that it says in the blurb that the M.C. is evil. For most of the book he is amoral at best... Definitely not evil. Not a deal breaker for me, but some might be upset by that. The author spends so much of the book showing how much the M.C. cares about his "minions", that towards the end where he does a few things that might be considered "evil" or borderline, they seem out of character. Still a really fun read, and
Bolajide Adeyoye
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun

I liked this story...it was solidly fun. The characters were likable. The world was familiar and enjoyable. The MC had the same grandiose self-view as the author's other book about the summoner but somehow it seemed less annoying because here the mc is supposed to actually be "all that" rather than some "more talented than average" young nobody...anywho, this story was cool and I eagerly look forward to more.
Timothy May
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun book

Just 1 bone to pick really, well there may be more but this one sticks out a bit, the cover of the book is inaccurate, only half of it happens in this book if you know what I mean.... at no time is he that intimate with ONE of those girls on the cover, probably in next book he will get the second like that at this rate. I just get annoyed when I see a cover than shows a scene or represents something that doesn't happen in the book, it's like false advertisement.
Sean Hall
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad series

So the story is about a dark god that is going around the world to build his power by conquering other dungeons. 3 problems I have with this is 1 he is to OP he has no problems fighting anybody but leaves it to his minions to fight. 2. For a dark god he is not very evil but seems the opposite of what you would expect. 3 sexual content that is not needed in this story
Imkmoney
Master

Fighting in a dungeon can be both fun and dangerous for you and your party of hero's. Here we have a party of four misfits that decide to fight above their abilities, but a dungeon master that wants to break out of his own and needs their help to leave. Here starts their adventures to fighting other dungeons. This out of place party go forth and together using their strengths and brains learn to work together as a team to servive.
Fun read!
Jamie Ross
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Adventure awaits!

Whilst I have been an avid reader of Eric Valls books for over a year now, I've decided to catch up on some of the older series.

Dungeon Master reminded me of another fun series involving dungeons and I thought to give it a go. I was not disappointed.

Fun, exciting and character with intelligence, with and humor to boot, but all involving flaws that we get to see them ackowledge and begging to work on overcoming.

Looking forward to the rest of this series!
matthew
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better than I was expecting

For people who are worried about the harem tag, worry not no romance until 78% and even then it was short and tasteful enough not to offend even the tiniest of sensibilities. The side characters are really fleshed out, even more so than his other books. Now if he'll just write a sequel to one of them...
Alex Clark
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Start of an Interesting Series

Well written and hard to put down. Characters grow and learn from each other as they face personal and group challenges. The dungeons were refreshingly not what I expected. I greatly enjoyed the unique take on how each Dungeon Core interacts with the group.
Edwin
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great dungeon novel

Great intro book.
Though the only thing that was disappointing was that MC was not more evil but still good read.

Of the four girls, my favorite is Morrigan; followed by Rana and then Carmedy. Annalise is my least favorite; good what stupid girl.

Will definitely read the next book.
Dan Mackison
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was ... not bad.

I had a massive urge to take a pen and cross out the redundant bits, for example describing lava, spending a few paragraphs thinking about lava, then the other characters discuss lava. And the romantic bits were more than a bit out of left field. But then I surprised myself by not setting it down and finishing it in a single day.

So ... not bad.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Update Dungeon Master Series 2 20 Nov 04, 2019 12:43AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add New Book Series 2 11 Jun 29, 2019 05:10PM

• Monster Core (Monster Core, #1)
  • God of Magic
  • God of Magic 2
  • The Daily Struggles of an Immortal (Immortal Supers, #1)
  • Dungeon Bringer 1
  • Fostering Faust 2 (Fostering Faust, #2)
  • God of Magic 3
  • Monster Core 2 (Monster Core, #2)
  • Dungeon Deposed 2 (Dungeon Deposed, #2)
  • The OP MC: God of Winning (The OP MC, #1)
  • Beastmaster: Symbiosis
  • Swing Shift 2 (Swing Shift, #2)
  • Simple Things (The Valens Legacy #13)
  • Remnant (Remnant, #1)
  • It Ain't Easy (The Valens Legacy #10)
  • Power of the Lost (Celestine Chronicles ,#3)
  • Demon Days (The Valens Legacy #12)
  • The Path to Peace (Alpha World Book 6)
Thanks for reading!

Buy my audiobooks directly from me at:
www.ericvall.com

Read and listen to early chapters, see NSFW covers, and subscribe to my discounted audiobook bundle at:
www.patreon.com/ericvall

Dungeon Master (8 books)
  • Dungeon Master 2 (Dungeon Master, #2)
  • Dungeon Master 3 (Dungeon Master, #3)
  • Dungeon Master 4 (Dungeon Master, #4)
  • Dungeon Master 5 (Dungeon Master, #5)
  • Dungeon Master 6 (Dungeon Master, #6)
  • Dungeon Master 7 (Dungeon Master, #7)
  • Dungeon Master 8