Start by marking “Grocery Story: The Promise of Food Co-ops in the Age of Grocery Giants” as Want to Read:
Grocery Story: The Promise of Food Co-ops in the Age of Grocery Giants

Grocery Story: The Promise of Food Co-ops in the Age of Grocery Giants

Hungry for change? Put the power of food co-ops on your plate and grow your local food economy.

Food has become ground-zero in our efforts to increase awareness of how our choices impact the world. Yet while we have begun to transform our communities and dinner plates, the most authoritative strand of the food web has received surprisingly little attention: the grocery sto
Published May 7th 2019 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Grocery Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grocery Story

Start your review of Grocery Story: The Promise of Food Co-ops in the Age of Grocery Giants
Deb
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you eat food, you should read this book.
Jen
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating.
SyntaxThings
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

The author is very dedicated to food: local food, empowering farmers, empowering eaters, growing diversity in the food economy. He spent a decade creating a weekly podcast on food issues, helped organize a collective that put grain grown by local farmers directly in the hands of eaters, and served on the board of the Kootenay food Co-op in Nelson BC for a few years.

He wrote the book as an expose of the state of food economy and the enormous power yielded by food retailers on consumers and on the
Marmot
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great overview of the topic. It made me want to run down to the Kootenay Co-op and give them all my business instead of the evil Save On Foods that I also sometimes frequent. I found the writing a bit too figure heavy (so many stats), and it was hard to keep all the various stores straight - i.e. sometimes the author would mention a specific co-op from earlier in the book, and talk about it like you remembered what he said earlier, but I had to keep flipping back to figure out which one it was. ...more
pianogal
Aug 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Made it to pg. 137 but I just don't think I can finish this one. Really not enjoying it, plus I don't really care about food co-ops. Maybe I'll come back to it at some point, but right now I need to put it down.
Sarah Murley-Hauser
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wtr-food
Insanely in-depth dig on the modern grocery store. Contrast that with how food co-ops work and you see how beneficial a food co-op could be for neighbourhoods and communities.
Suzy
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you buy groceries? Do you eat food? Do you live in a community? Read this book!
Melodie Rae
Siew
Jul 13, 2019
Betsy
Jun 23, 2019

• Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • The New Farm: Our Ten Years on the Front Lines of the Good Food Revolution
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Beastie Boys Book
  • Under Pressure: Confronting the Epidemic of Stress and Anxiety in Girls
  • Dakota/Lakota Star Map Constellation Guidebook: An Introduction to D(L)akota Star Knowledge
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
  • Going Somewhere: A Bicycle Journey Across America
  • What Self-Made Millionaires Do That Most People Don't: 52 Ways to Create Your Own Success
  • Lirael, Daughter of the Clayr
  • The Grocers: The Rise and Rise of the Supermarket Chains
  • Black Leopard, Red Wolf
  • How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America
  • I'm Not a Terrorist, But I've Played One On TV: Memoirs of a Middle Eastern Funny Man
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors