Start by marking “For Black Girls Like Me” as Want to Read:
For Black Girls Like Me

For Black Girls Like Me

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  7 ratings  ·  5 reviews
I am a girl but most days I feel like a question mark.

Makeda June Kirkland is eleven-years-old, adopted, and black. Her parents and big sister are white, and even though she loves her family very much, Makeda often feels left out. When Makeda’s family moves from Maryland to New Mexico, she leaves behind her best friend, Lena— the only other adopted black girl she knows— fo
Expected publication: July 30th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about For Black Girls Like Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Black Girls Like Me

Alexis
What a beautiful story about family, belonging, and self-discovery. Here are some things I loved: short chapters. My MG students do so well with short chapters (and so do I!)
Wide-range of tough topics. Realistic characters who make mistakes and are human. Then, they grow. Finally, Keda. I loved her so much.

I received this book as part of the #LitReviewCrew in exchange for an honest review.
Danielle Stinson
This book is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I finished it with tears in my eyes and hope in my heart.

Lockington's writing is gorgeous. There were so many moments of beautiful imagery. Countless lines I stopped to read twice. The poetry in the book is lovely, and the letters between Keda and her best friend were one of my favorite parts. They were vibrant with humor and truth and a love you could feel.

Keda's voice sings through these pages. It drew me in from the first line and wrapped me up
Kip
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely gorgeous. Five stars on the writing alone. So many touching, lovely images throughout, and the voice just hums with unique sentence structure and stylistic choices that show the reader so clearly who Keda is and who she wants to become. Such a lovable character! On top of all this, poems sprinkled throughout point to Keda's struggle as an adopted black girl in a white family, while that family threatens to combust with struggles of its own due to the adoptive mother's men ...more
Gillian
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, kids
Both beautiful and compelling, FOR BLACK GIRLS LIKE ME is from the perspective of Keda, a black girl who was adopted as an infant into a white family. You will be rooting for Keda from page 1 as she navigates a cross-country move and struggles to find where she belongs. Family and friendship relationships are nuanced and multi-layered. The writing is lyrical and perfectly crafted. A must-read.
Rajani LaRocca
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written coming-of-age story about Keda, an adopted black girl being raised by white parents. After moving to a new place, Keda needs to navigate a new school, new friends, and her mother's worsening mental illness. Gorgeous writing and compelling characters!
Liz Latty