Start by marking “The Sixth Man” as Want to Read:
The Sixth Man

The Sixth Man

The standout memoir from NBA powerhouse Andre Iguodala, the indomitable sixth man of the champion Golden State Warriors.

Andre Iguodala is one of the most admired players in the NBA. And fresh off the Warriors' third NBA championship in the last four years, his game has never been stronger.

Off the court, Iguodala has earned respect, too--for his successful tech inves
Published June 25th 2019 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sixth Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sixth Man

Start your review of The Sixth Man
Michael Perkins
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I’ve always loved reading. It came from my mother. Reading was simply a nonnegotiable in my house. If you weren’t reading, you weren’t achieving. The other thing we read at home was the newspaper. This also came from my mom. She insisted on it. She made sure we were keeping ourselves educated. I learned to be interested in world affairs, business, culture, and media. I learned how stories were told and how media and journalism worked. We were well educated, well mannered, well taken care of, an ...more
Brendan Morphett
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Group for the advanced digital review copy of this book.

Coming into this book I had quite a measure of respect for Andre Iguodala and was interested to read more about his life and career from his point of view. Unfortunately after reading the book, I wish that I had not. The beginning of the book is quite interesting and talks about his youth and experiences growing up. Unfortunately the rest of the book seems to be his opportunity to air his grievances with eve
Book Reviews By Tara
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a difficult book for me to complete. I thought about bailing on it quite a few times. But, I stuck it out. The book started off really good. The first quarter of the book Andre told stories about his childhood, his mom, and his brother and the town in which he was raised. But once he reached his college years he completely stopped writing about his personal life and for the remainder of the book he only wrote about basketball. In depth basketball! He broke down how free agency works, he ...more
Lance
Basketball is unique in one way in that a player can become even more famous when he is no longer in the starting line up and instead will come off the bench to contribute in a valuable manner to his or her team. One player who has done that is Andre Iguodala. While he was a very good player as a starter for the Philadelphia 76ers and Denver Nuggets, he became even more noticed as the sixth man for the team that has won three of the last four NBA championships, the Golden State Warriors. He tell ...more
Traci at The Stacks
Maybe the best audiobook I've ever listened to. I loved this book, and full disclaimer I'm a Warriors fan. This book was WAY better than I was expecting. Its really smart and well crafted and well written and well read. Iguodala mixes basketball with race and life and growing up. I only wish he waited to write the book until he retired from the NBA so we could get insights from all his seasons.

If you like basketball, read this book. Its really really good.
Sara Thomsen
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was great! I have always loved watching Andre on the court and this book made me appreciate and respect him even more. This book felt like I was just hanging out with Andre while he talked about his life. Very down to earth and honest. I loved it and couldn't put it down.
Eddie S.
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overall a beautiful Memoir. Out of all of the basketball memoirs that I've read, The Sixth man, captures the metamorphosis of an NBA star perfectly. Before reading this book, I've never considered the aspect of the typical NBA athlete. There are so many Peaks and valleys within an NBA career. At the beginning of Andre Iguodala's career you witness the struggles of a young NBA star trying to find his way in the league. As he reaches the middle of his career, he gets blindsided by a trade, and has ...more
Anetra
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan so I was going to love it. Loved hearing his thoughts on race and which players influenced him. Also four stars for any glowing assessments of Allen Iverson. Good read.
Cynthia
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Andre’s book and getting to know more about the life of one of my favorite basketball players! It was well written and I enjoyed how you got a clear picture of his career and the ins and outs of the sport.
Derek
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've always liked Iggy's game and mentality, but his book was even better than I had anticipated. You get a full perspective of the sport, including all the legal pitfalls, brutal business decisions and insane entertainment aspects as well.
Sue Larson
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a longtime Golden State Warriors fan, I have long admired Andre Iguodala for his basketball skill, leadership, and integrity. Plus, you've gotta love those muscles of his. His book comes highly recommended, not only because of his basketball IQ, but the opportunity to learn more about what it's really like to perform at the highest levels of the NBA and to persevere and thrive amidst multiple challenges. My admiration for Andre is higher than ever and as sorry as I am to no longer have him pl ...more
Lorenzo
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book, I wish he would've narrated the audio version but it was a good book.
catherine ♡
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I picked this up as a Warriors fan, and I was most excited to read about those years. Those were still my favorite chapters, but the entire book was really insightful. It sounded a lot like Andre Iguodala—a player who's always been open and vocal about race relations in the NBA. I loved reading about the relationships between front offices and players too, especially now that there's such a debate about players running the league and being able to demand trades.

Also: his mom is a badass.
Carey Calvert
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Men write odes. Often in the form of a long, exculpatory visage to help make sense out of the fantastic, to take stock of a life well lived, show gratitude, and like the kindly Brooks freshly released from Shawshank, to just let one know he was here; it's not all guilt - I do exist.

Andre Iguodala's The Sixth Man isn't necessarily an existential examination but it is a memoir of substance as he fills us in on the NBA season and how (as I've always thought), it is indeed a season that doesn't 'be
Rodney Inciong
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like any books about music and music bio's I cannot stop reading, once started. I finish these type of bio's quickly. I had no prior knowledge other than his record as a player, but was intrigued from page one. It is certainly a quick read. Remember, It's not like Andre Iguodala is so old he has a huge backstory for a bio, dude's only 35!
Key points: His mother and grandmother raised him amongst, many cousins and a brother in very Caucasian Springfield IL. He kept his head in the books and did
Neda Jamaly
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Andre does a spectacular job discussing the positive and negative aspects of the game and business of basketball. The game of basketball is his life’s work, but he is not afraid to call out specific flaws of the NBA (things that can be applied to other major sports), including: media bombardment, spectator influence, sacrificing your body, racial tensions, and exploitation of players by teams. This exploitation of players is also highlighted at the college level via the NCAA. If you think you kn ...more
Karthik Ram
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Andre (we learn he hates being called Iggy) is recognised as one of the finest minds in the NBA - well-informed, savvy and articulate. The book captures that side of him in parts - particularly when talking about the Warriors and race. Definitely better edited than the average athlete memoir.

Yet, something was missing. Perhaps I expected too much. Or it could just be sour grapes. :) (Had been trying to get my hands on it for a long time and the price never quite felt right.)
Kenneth Kinyanjui
Great book and a great story of how life is a journey.

Andre walks us through his life from his humble beginnings to his 2018 season with the Golden State Warriors.

Through the journey, we see humility, honesty and curiosity and being true to what he loves and holds dear.

A good book for any athlete or anyone looking to understand the process of the journey of success
Renee
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Andre since he attended school in Tucson. I really enjoyed reading this book and learning about his life, thinking, and spirit.

There were more captivating stories in the first half of the book and more commentary in the back half. It felt like book 1 and Book 2. And I wonder now that he’s been traded, if there will be an addendum.

Michael Vedomske
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love basketball and Andre Iguodala is one of the reasons I do. Andre Iguodala's memoir of his ride to the NBA and his experience in it is honest and revealing. He describes the subtle and overt racism. I love the frank and open way he discusses his gratitude and frustration being a highly paid professional athlete. He broaches the mental toll of the game and his obsessing over his profession. The tone is personal and helpful and cautionary. After reading this I felt like I had met a second bro ...more
Laurie Greenhut
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a die hard Warrior fan, I ate up every word of Andre's story. Its a good inside view of what its like to be in the NBA, and its quite a challenge. I miss Andre being a part of our team and, one day, when basketball comes back, post corona- praise God!- I hope he will bring his courage and talent and wisdom and coolness back to the Bay!
David Hughey
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good mix of A) his childhood and how it formed who he is today, B) each year of his NBA career, and C) race issues in the NBA/America and how they overlap.

Especially relevant with the George Floyd/Breonna Taylor/BLM events and how they affected the NBA bubble & playoffs. The Bucks & Magic postponed game because the Bucks decided to boycott game, which led to all the other playoff games for that day and the following day also being postponed & rescheduled.
Nicholas Barisone
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read/listen and Andre's story provides an interesting perspective on life and the state of professional athletes. For some reason, despite how great a player he is, I get the impression his NBA career is just a warm-up.
Corey Burton
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
AWEsome read!! I am not sure where I got this quote from, but it is one I have lived by since college: "live without the box"!! Iggy articulated this mindset so beautifully with the following quote: "the idea that I don't even have a right to be in that room- is what I would spend the rest of my life proving wrong." To be confident, comfortable, and secure in any room is what I want and will have!!

Pages 37-40 may be the best pages I have read explaining how black people have to handle racism, an
Kim
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5⭐️’s I enjoyed this memoir, I would have liked more personal stories, how he met his wife etc. But maybe she didn’t want their story told, in any case I enjoyed this book very much.
Brad Davis
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Good stories and insight into the life of a premier athlete. Interesting read if you love basketball.
Johnny Kunst
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was just going to be about basketball, but it was much more than that. This is an awesome book about Iggy’s experience with race throughout his life, his basketball journey, and the human experience of being in the NBA that expects you to fit into a particular box.
Erica
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have always admired professional basketball teams and the players. Very interesting and detailed look at a long career from one of my favorites.
Sabin
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Andre gives us some insight into the world of the NBA, and the mental challenges of being an NBA athlete, that are personal to him and his journey. I did enjoy this memoir. He's very well spoken and if I ever met him, in real life, I'd tell him I'd want to meet his mom and ask him what's he currently reading. He's always reading which is great.
Chuck
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not a huge basketball 🏀 fan but this was a great read of one man's journey through life and playing in the NBA.
Book Review of The Sixth Man by Andre Iguodala 1 3 Oct 30, 2019 09:31PM

• KD: Kevin Durant's Relentless Pursuit to Be the Greatest
  • The Victory Machine: The Making and Unmaking of the Warriors Dynasty
  • LeBron, Inc.: The Making of a Billion-Dollar Athlete
  • I'll Show You
  • Return of the King: LeBron James, The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Greatest Comeback in NBA History
  • The Mamba Mentality: How I Play
  • Golden: The Miraculous Rise of Steph Curry
  • From the Outside: My Journey Through Life and the Game I Love
  • Tanking to the Top: The Philadelphia 76ers and the Most Audacious Process in the History of Professional Sports
  • Shaq Uncut: Tall Tales and Untold Stories
  • The Art of a Beautiful Game: The Thinking Fan's Tour of the NBA
  • Three-Ring Circus: Kobe, Shaq, Phil, and the Crazy Years of the Lakers Dynasty
  • SprawlBall: A Visual Tour of the New Era of the NBA