Start by marking “Flames of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #4)” as Want to Read:
Flames of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #4)

Flames of the Dark Crystal

(Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal #4)

Before you watch the upcoming Netflix series (The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance), read these original novels from J. M. Lee that tie into the events of the series.

Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal #4 is the fourth book in a series of original young adult novels set in the world of Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal.
Published August 27th 2019 by Penguin Workshop

Start your review of Flames of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #4)
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the conclusion of the story - particularly the way in which the prophecy from the film was included to really lay the foundation for the movie. However, for a finale it's a little bit lackluster in terms of the stakes not being raised to the level they probably should have been.

Full review to come!
Mary Drover
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-fantasy
My review for Shadows , Song , and Tides are linked. It’s fine, I totally wanted to cry right at the beginning of the month. I’M FINE, I SWEAR. I DEFINITELY DIDN’T CRY MULTIPLE TIMES. I want to just flood this review with fanart of Amri, but the world is a cruel place, and I’m one of, like, ten people in total that have read these books. Altogether, there’s, like, maybe 200 reviews for the entire series, but I digress. This was easily my favorite one in the series so far. It was action ...more
Steven Shinder
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This ended up being my favorite of these Dark Crystal novels. Once it got to the climax, I just kept going. There are battles, there are sacrifices, and there is grief. And it does not gloss over the fact that there will be hardships ahead. But there is hope. Since we know what happens in the film, we know the fate of the Gelfling. But even knowing that, it's a great ride seeing how events play out. I'm curious to see how well Age of Resistance will interface with the novels, as the addition of ...more
Phil
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I loved the other three but I REALLY loved this one. Would this book have been successful without the Netflix series? No, but its biggest strength is its seamless connection to the show, both in plot and theme. If you can hear the Song of Thra in your life, then this book, and this series, is for you. If you cannot, then why are you wasting your time reading this review?
Kyuu~
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning I did not want to put it down. Usually the books have long slow areas but not this one. It made my mind feel like puddle peices being put together. I love reading this series a d would do it again!
David Villahermosa
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Se esfuerza más en que todo encaje para que las premisas de la película tengan sentido en su narrativa que en el hecho de contar una historia que sea interesante, y llega un momento en el que pierdes todo vínculo con los personajes, al haber presentado tantos y profundizado tan poco en ellos. No es una mala precuela, y el problema es que no deja de ser sencillamente una precuela y la historia que cuenta no tiene valor individual.
Riley
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a hopeful ending.
This series has been such a delight to read, I’ve flown through these books and loved each one. This last instalment had so much to resolve and it did so with flying colours. The writing and characters have remained at its best and the world of Thra has become even more vivid.
It is a solid conclusion, both as an end and open perhaps to more books (I hope).
5/5 stars
Reixma
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
5 *

This book was published before the Netflix series "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance", but is based on the stories and events in this book, and others in the series.
As I have already seen the Netflix series, I already know the background storyline. Also, as I have already seen the film "The Dark Crystal" from which all these spin-offs are based, I know the world and the storyline well.

As a hardcore fan of the original film, the Netflix series and "The Creation Myths" books, I am naturally b
Joseph Wilbur
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So here is the thing. We already know where this is going. SPOILER WARNING IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE DARK CRYSTAL MOVIE. For those who haven't seen The Dark Crystal 1) why not?! and 2) Why are you still reading? Did you miss the spoiler warning? I typed it in all caps for you. Anyways moving on you are continuing at your own risk.

Where was I? Oh yes. We all know how this ends. This is the prequel to the wonderful movie. Yet even knowing the Gelfling are all but extinct by the start of The Dark
Book Hugger
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this book first, thinking that it was the first book and didn’t come back for the rest of the series until later, but since I watched the Netflix show, I understood it. I liked how they FINALLY brought in Deet, and was rather mad that she was barely even in there like these are the parts where she was mentioned: “He was with a girl with pale skin and big black Grottan eyes.” and
“I don’t think you’ve been properly introduced,” Amri said. “This is Deet. Deet, this is Naia! Drenchen
J.N. Tomczak
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wow. I haven't had such an adrenaline rush in a long time. Read this book in ONE day, I couldn't put it down for the life of me. This book quickly picks up where the last one left off and doesn't waste any time. I believe the one thing this book did very well was portray just how blurry the line between good and evil really are, that we're all imperfect, and Thra and its inhabitants are no exception. And if the Gelfling are to survive, they have to first battle the darkness that's within all of ...more
Shawna Renteria
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so in love with this series! I don't know if this is the final book, but I hope it's not! This book was filled with adventure and hope and togetherness. It shows what can be done when everyone comes together. This is book 4 so I can't really say much, but this book just picked right up from book 3 and just kept me on the edge of my seat. I recommend this book to everyone who loves a fantasy adventure and who loves The Dark Crystal movie.
Heather
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful series of books, Mr. Lee has a gift of delving into the Dark Crystal world so you never want to leave. It would be amazing to see him pen a new series of books for a different time period of this world or even ones simply following new characters (or ones we've grown to love) I just want more!!
kay
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Need more.
Kenneth
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the final and best of J.M. Lee’s Young Adult novels, and I give this author respect for closing the series on a high note (even though I was somewhat underwhelmed by the previous installments in this series.) What sets “Flames” apart from the others is the underlined sense of urgency- the hastiness of the plot and the increased sense of unavoidable conflict lends itself well to the narrative. I might add, this is the first book in the series that was released AFTER the superb Netflix “Ag ...more
Emi-Wan Kenobi
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m just a little emotional guys it’s fine.

Loved this book at least as much as Tides, and maybe more than all of them. It was so great to have Naia back as the POV character at the end, since she was who we started with.

Overall the book was good! I only had a very few small nitpicks, nothing worth knocking stars off for. It made me smile, it made me sad, and I enjoyed every page.

I’m also excited to finally watch the show now, see what comes next. It’s bittersweet because, having seen the movie w
Robin
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
The 4th (and I’m assuming final) book of the Dark Crystal series. This book continues with the prequel story set before the events in The Dark Crystal movie. It covers how the final clans are united and the Gelfling rise up and stand against the Skeksis.

Fairly predictable read. Good companion to the Ae of Resistance series on Netflix.
Valerie Stenberg
This is a great ending to the companion series for the new Netflix show. While it does not go much further than the show does it really helps flesh out the world of Thra even more. I can easily see this all going on in the background. I am hoping that there will be more books here soon. :]
Timothy Pitkin
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good ending for this part of the story but I wonder if they are going to continue the series or will they let the Netflix Series continue the story. I do like the romance and the additions they add to the Dark Crystal mythos.
Scott Williams
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I’m honest, the gelfling were never my favourite part of The Dark Crystal universe. They seemed frail and sort of dull. These novels have made it clear that they are anything but. In this volume especially, we get to learn more about the gelfling and their extraordinary abilities.
Kirsten Jensen
As someone who grew up a fan of the Dark Crystal movie I enjoyed this series and how it expanded on the world introduced there. It seems Lee has been quite instrumental in this as well as the new series and I think he's hit everything off brilliantly.
Searska GreyRaven
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much more hopeful ending than I'd expected. ^_^
Jordan
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series has a special place in my heart. The 3rd book was my favorite but I cant be happier with how this book read and how this series wraps up.

Beautiful, exciting, and totally worth the ride
Cecilia Rodriguez
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Aira and her twin brother, Gurjin are part of the Gelfling Resistance.
Lee's plot contains the message of nonviolence.
Denielle
Great ending to the series. Lee paints a picture, of a fantasy land, deserving of an art museum. If a fan of the movie The Dark Crystal, this is a must read prequel.
Rich

• Jim Henson's The Power of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1
  • Jim Henson's The Power of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 2
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 2: Trial by Fire
  • Jim Henson's The Power of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 3
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance: The Quest for the Dual Glaive
  • The World of The Dark Crystal
  • Jim Henson's Beneath the Dark Crystal Vol. 1
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal Creation Myths: The Complete Collection
  • The Dark Hills Divide (The Land of Elyon, #1)
  • Jim Henson's Dark Crystal Tales
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance #5
  • Jim Henson's Beneath the Dark Crystal Vol. 2
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
Born and raised in the great Minnesota north, Joe spent his formative years searching for talking animals and believing he could control the weather. After pursuing nerdy interests in comparative film studies, screenwriting, and Shakespeare, he graduated from the University of Minnesota with a much nerdier degree in linguistics with a focus in Japanese phonology.

In addition to writing novels, Joe

Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal (4 books)
  • Shadows of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #1)
  • Song of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #2)
  • Tides of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #3)