Start by marking “The Good Friend” as Want to Read:
The Good Friend

The Good Friend

The pain still lies deep within me. I’ve learnt to ‘manage’ it over the years, but today it feels stronger, throbbing like a toothache, yet in the pit of my stomach.

Once upon a time they were best friends. They were all friends. So when Jenny moved to Au
Published February 7th 2019 by RedDoor Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Good Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Friend

Felicia
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm inclined to describe this as a slow moving story but that would suggest that the story actually went somewhere. 🤨

With that being said, I never once considered not finishing this book because I HAD to know what secrets it held. What a let-down of epic proportions. What you read is what you get so don't go in looking for something hidden between the lines with this one.

This story reads more like a diary, not in format but in content, in that with a diary there is no real direction. No crescend
Tammie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Good Friend by Jo Baldwin was an enjoyable read-a solid 3.5 stars.
Jenny and Kath were not only best friends as children but absolutely inseparable. Now as adults and busy living their own lives, they’ve lost touch. It also doesn’t help that Kath marries Tom, Jenny’s ex-boyfriend and love of her life. Eight years later, with Jenny seeking retirement from her elite swimming career, she travels to France to reconnect with her former best friend.
Jenny and Kath fall back into the same close rel
Pauline
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Good Friend by Jo Baldwin is a thriller full of twists and turns, secret and lies.
Jenny visits her childhood friend Kath in France. The women have not seen each other in years and to complicate matters Kath is now married to Jenny's former boyfriend Tom. The fact that Tom and Jenny still have feelings for each other makes this an uncomfortable reunion and all through the book I was waiting for something terrible to happen. An enjoyable read.
I would like to thank NetGalley and RedDoor Publish
Whispering Stories
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Jenny and Kath have been best friends since they were teenagers attending the same school in the UK. They were as thick as thieves. Then Jenny moved with her father to Australia to concentrate on her swimming career which had earned her three gold medals and the two hadn’t seen each other in eight years.

Since then Kath had gotten married and move to France and now had a young daughter Rosa. Jenny and her father have never really seen eye to eye
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
pixabay-image-the-good-friend.jpg

So this one didn't quite work for me, I think most of my issue here was that I was expecting a psychological thriller and what I got was so far from that mark.
If I had to classify this I guess I would describe this as more romantic suspense than anything else and if I am being honest this was so slow In terms of story progression and overall excitement I was slowly losing the will.
This sold itself as one thing but the reality here was something completely different.
So let me start by saying if I
Mandy White
I would say that the Good Friend by Jo Baldwin is a womens fiction book and not a thriller in anyway. For that I was bit disappointed with this book. But once I got over that it was a great read. It kept me interested right the way through. It is very well written with jumps to the past so we learn more about the relationships.

Jenny and Kath were best friends as kids. Jenny moved to Perth, Australia to concentrate on her swimming career, leaving Kath as well as the love of her life Tom behind. N
Zoe
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ominous, slick, and unnerving!

The Good Friend is a slow-burning, character-driven thriller that delves into just how much our relationships and friendships can define us and highlights just how parasitic and manipulative some of them can truly be.

The prose is edgy and tense. The characters are complex, deceptive, and vulnerable. And the plot builds steadily creating tension, suspicion, and unease as it unravels a sinister tale of friendship, love, secrets, lies, deception, jealousy, violence, an
Brandy
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The Good Friend and I had a very on and off again relationship. It’s a read that was one I kept putting down because it couldn’t keep my interest yet, I kept going back - mostly, due to the fact that my Momma’ didn’t raise a quitter. ❤

Sigh.... It was an ok read, it was well written but I wouldn’t consider it a thriller. It’s more of a soft and fluffy- romance that’s drizzled with some suspense. It was a slow journey but I finally finished it thanks to the stomach bug. Although, it wasn’t my cup
Linda Strong
Jenny and Kath were once best friends. Life intervened and Jenny wound up in another country, following her swimming career. It's been 8 years and now Jenny is visiting Kath in France.

At first, everything goes really well. They catch up on all the news, but then secrets are exposed and Jenny realizes that the friendship they had wasn't what she thought it was.

This is a slow-moving tale of friendship, love, obsession and lies and secrets. It is not a thriller as such, but it did hold my interest
Mark
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok

Positives first!!! The setting for this book is mainly in France and the descriptions of the area are wonderful, you could almost see the azure sea and the lavender fields and smell the fruit and veg market with the fresh cherries, baguettes and cheeses and at times I drifted for a few seconds imagining being there, I wonder if the author has considered travel guides as it made me want to visit, fabulous descriptive scene setting
And now for the rest!
The book is NOT a psychological thriller but
Lou
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Good Friend is billed as a thriller on some sites, but I think Amazon's genre label is much more fitting - romantic suspense. This is a slow moving, slow burn of a read which certainly isn't in a hurry to move along, and it's easy to predict exactly where the story is going. If you're looking for twists, turns and surprises then this is not the book for you as it is sorely lacking in those areas. Each of the characters blur into one another and are not discernible due to their one-dimensiona ...more
Stina
If only she knew what kind of friend I really am!

THE GOOD FRIEND is the debut thriller by Jo Baldwin - however, I would use the term "thriller" loosely as it's not an edge-of-your-seat or a fast paced read. The tagline reads "Heavenly Creatures meets The Hand That Rocks the Cradle in this exciting debut novel about friendship, love and jealousy." I haven't seen "Heavenly Creatures" but I do remember "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" and it does have an element of that style to it.

It is a diff
Yellagirlgc
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jenny is going home to the UK to visit her best friend, ex boyfriend and their daughter. After immigrating to Australia and winning several Olympic gold medals she's ready to hear how her bestie and boyfriend ended up married. Kath isn't the same while Tom still gives her butterflies.
While the plot wasn't original it was still a good book. Kath was a master manipulator. Her obsession with Jenny consumed her. Her husband nor daughter meant as much to Kath as Jenny did. I liked how close knit the
Karen Whittard
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Next year is looking to already be another fantastic year for books. This boom is going right on the list for books that people should look out for next year and make sure that they read. This book is full of twist and turns and it is completely spell binding, addictive and hooks you from the very first page. The writing style is fabulous, the characters are all intriguing and interesting and the plot will keep you guessing and racing through to find out all the answers. I highly recommend.

Once
Kerry
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have literally just finished this book (25th February, 23:15) and I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest!
I can't even begin to tell you how tense this story has been, from the very first page.
The story is told by Jenny who is reunited with her best friend, Kath, after several years apart, living very different lives. Jenny is an Olympic swimmer, her career (and Dad) moving her to Australia to train and compete. Kath now lives in rural France with her husband, Tom and daughter,
Lavender
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hate it when I have not much good to say about a book I was given by the publisher. This book is not a thriller, it is hardly woman fiction. It is more a romance, ménage-à-trois or chick-lit (thank god without love scenes). If I would have known that I wouldn’t have hit the request-button. So this was the absolutely wrong book for me. The thriller element comes in almost at the last page and honestly, it was almost ridiculous.

The story goes absolutely nowhere. After 8 years with no contact Je
Roma Sharma
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was an average read. The plot had a lot more potential and I had much higher expectations. I think the publishers should not have classified this as a mystery/thriller. If it was classified as Drama or Women’s fiction then I would have probably rated it better. The book starts off pretty slowly and it take a lot to not just put it down and move on. But about 50% in it picks up pace and a lot of emotional baggage starts to come up. This book is more about jealousy, lies and tragedy than ...more
Joanna Beesley
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the debut novel from Jo Baldwin. ‘The Good Friend’ is an exceptional read. I was sucked into the friendship between Jenny and Kath from the very beginning.

Most of us have been in friendships and relationships which are questionable even though we stay in them. I loved the way the storyline twisted and turned everything around so, at certain points, I wasn't sure I was seeing the full picture. Of course, I wasn't.

Jenny goes to stay with Kath who was her best friend and her new husband, To
Bobby
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A strong recommendation to read this book. The book built a good sense of tension and mystery throughout. I enjoyed the setting in France and I could imagine myself there, which is always a good sign! Loved the ending too. Good writing style and distinct character portrayal.
Shalini | Book Rambler
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! This is a brilliantly written book and I couldn't wait another day to see the end. I didn't leave 5 stars because I am peeved out about a couple of things .Other than a few flaws,The Good Friend is a fascinating psychological thriller that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the eARC!
Agi
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it

Jenny and Kath were inseparable best friends but then Jenny moved to Perth, Australia, to focus on her swimming career. She had to leave everything and everyone she loved behind: Kath, but also her boyfriend Tom. It was supposed to be different but life is a bitch and they lost touch, but they still kept hearing about each other, and so Jenny knows that Kath and Tom married and have a little girl. Few years later, as Jenny is considering retirement, she travels to the South of France to reconnec
Nancy Ahyee
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Publisher’s Description: “Heavenly Creatures” meets “The Hand That Rocks the Cradle” in this exciting debut novel about friendship, love and jealousy. Once upon a time they were best friends. So when Jenny moved to Australia to focus on her swimming career, she not only lost Kath, but her soul-mate Tom. It was for the best. Or so they said. Now, eight years later, Jenny seeks out her childhood friend and heads to rural France where Kath has settled. At first, the women fall back into a close rel ...more
Janet
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019ng, kindle

Once upon a time, they were best friends. So when Jenny moved to Australia to focus on her swimming career, she not only lost Kath but her soul-mate Tom. It was for the be
Judith
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Good Friend. A lot.

As I was reading, I was struck by the lengths a supposed friend goes to in order to destroy somebody else’s life. It was incredibly uncomfortable to read, but enthralling at the same time. This was helped by the fact that the chapters end on cliff-hangers, to increase tension.

I thought the writing was good, particularly Baldwin’s creative use of imagery, which really helped to make the descriptions as vivid as possible.

I loved the Kath’s deviancy (I do lik
Ashley Gillan
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow. This is one of those books that I thought I knew how I felt about it...then I read the last chapter. And like a week later, I’m still processing it. I’m still a little stunned.

Jenny is visiting her former best friend after an eight-year hiatus, during which her former BFF and ex-BF got married, had a child and moved to the south of France. Everything seems OK, if a little awkward, at first, but then Jenny notices Kath is acting odd and her old feelings for Tom begin to return. All of this i
marlin1
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, netgalley
Jenny and Kath were best friends all through school but drifted apart when Jenny emigrated to Australia with her father and then she had a successful swimming career. Meanwhile Kath married Jenny’s ex boyfriend Tom and they are now residing in France with a child and trying to set up a B&B.
When Jen is at cross roads with her swimming career, she decides to visit Kath and Tom in France but her friendship with Kath is tested when she finds out a few hurtful secrets.
I found this really easy to
Pelusa Rivera
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Well I didn't love book, I found it a little to slow and having to make myself sit at times and that bummed me out because excited about the blurb. So we meet Jenny and Kath who were best friends since children and have remained close, they have busy lives and dont get to see each other as much and throw in the fact that Kath married Jenny's ex-boyfriend and love of her life (not cool). Jenny ends up reconnecting with her friend and as they try to become best friends again it isn't really there ...more
gem
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars
Fans of psychological dramas will enjoy this story of the many different versions of friendship; loyal friends, obsessive friends, toxic friends...
Amongst all this a series of progressively disturbing things start to happen.
It’s quite slow burning and reminded me ofThe Secretary by Rene knight.
Melissa
This was an excellent debut! I loved the setting in France a lot! I read this in one day and thoroughly enjoyed it and the characters.
mr graham rollinson
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel by Jo Baldwin is an excellent thriller based in the south of France where Jenny goes to stay with her previously best friend from 8 years ago Kath and her husband Tom who just so happens to be Jenny's ex boyfriend.The reason they have been apart for so long is because Jenny moved to Australia to further her career to become a gold medal swimmer,and at long last they are reunited and everything is just as it was all those years ago.Best friends forever !! But after a while Jenny ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Since completing a degree in French, Jo Baldwin has spent a large proportion of her life in France, first in Paris where she worked in magazine publishing, and later in the Languedoc where she has a holiday home. Jo now lives in Oxford with her husband and three children and works in educational publishing.