Start by marking “The Extraordinary Etab of Julian Newcomber” as Want to Read:
The Extraordinary Etab of Julian Newcomber

The Extraordinary Etab of Julian Newcomber

Twelve-year-old Julian Newcomber knows he has a fitting--what the smart folks call apropos--last name. His family moves constantly due to his Dad's quirky inventions, which have a habit of misbehaving and blowing up the family home. So he's always been the new kid in school. Now firmly settled in a peaceful and close-knit community, Julian believes he's finally found a ...more
Published June 7th 2019 by Common Deer Press

To ask other readers questions about The Extraordinary Etab of Julian Newcomber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extraordinary Etab of Julian Newcomber

Start your review of The Extraordinary Etab of Julian Newcomber
Richard
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book for middle grade kids. 9-12’s I believe. As an adult reading it and reflecting on the amazing story I think it would be enjoyed by older teenagers as well.
The book is about a young Julian Newcomber, a child who has reached the age 12 with few friends and accomplishments as his family have moved about quite a lot. In the process he has never been anywhere long enough to make and keep friends.
His Dad is a crazy inventor and his Mum is everything his Dad is not. Strict over meal times,
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book free from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. When Julian’s scientist father creates an epad that alters time and himself from the future appears, a wild ride was guaranteed to happen. This is a book aimed for children aged between 8 and 12 but I adored this. It was a fun adventure, with loveable characters and fantastic pacing. Although I’m not quite the demographic for this book, being 30, I none the less enjoyed it and would recommend it you’re ...more
Mark Buxton
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
My name is Julian, and my father creates semi-successful inventions, if they don't blow up first. He gave me a cool one called the eTab. It looks like a black piece of paper, but it can email, make phone calls, and browse the Internet. However, I figured out that it can also let me travel through time. I was trying to figure out the best way to use it when my future self showed up! I guess he (or is it I?) dropped a cellphone during the Battle of Gettysburg, and now he/I need help going back to ...more
Bridget
This book was, for me, so much fun to read and it had an extremely fascinating plot for a middle-grade novel. Although I am not, I am sure, the intended audience for this book, nevertheless, it was a fabulous, quite complex work of science fiction. I loved the quirky, witty and hugely amusing dialogue and as a complete package, the book made me smile.

Very highly recommended and a well deserved five stars!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from the publisher
Alaa
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
[ I received a digital review copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

The Extraordinary Etab of Julian Newcomber is a middle grade Sci-fi novel about Julian who has an inventor for a father. His father invents for him the Etab, which by accident allows Julian to time travel. The plot is fun, the characters are quirky and the resolution is funny but satisfying.

At the beginning, I wasn't completely sold with Julian's character, because he speaks/sounds much older than
Julia
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Julian meets his future self, who asks for his help and eTab to time travel to the Civil War and then back home so as not to get into any trouble with his parents.
Weird? Yes, but cool weird.

Long story short, I liked the interaction between father and son, and between the two Julians. The writing was good, there was an emphasis on synonyms, which offers
Bookish Devil
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
"One of the most Funtresting plots I've ever come across in a Middle-Grade novel"

This book absolutely quashed all kinds of presumptions that I had before reading it. What I thought would be routine just-another-simple-middle-grade-novel turned out to be one of the most complex science fiction novels.

Julian Newcomber, the son of the eccentric parents -Mr and Mrs.Newcomber was leading a normal life - what the smart folks call "an average life" until he got his hands on his father's latest
Tonja Drecker
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Science and fun hit quirky humor as a boy, Julian, taps into time travel with unexpected twists and adventure.

Julian is twelve-years old and pretty normal for a kid. That is, if his dad wasn't a genius but mad inventor and his family wasn't constantly moving around. Julian always changes schools and has not only trouble with bullies but also finding friends. Still, none of this is a real problem. When his father invents the eTab, it has an unexpected side-effect. Soon, Julian finds himself
Violet Sinclair
DISCLAIMER: I received a digital review copy of THE EXTRAORDINARY ETAB OF JULIAN NEWCOMBER via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

*3.5 Stars

What is it with me just reading and cutest books right now?

Truth be told, I was kind of bored at the beginning, and I didn’t really feel like I was getting anywhere — to the point of considering DNFing it.

I’m so, so glad I didn’t.

It was so cute and whimsical and I loved the writing style and just — wow I really enjoyed it.

Definitely recommend for
Amy Layton
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade-lit
This book has a lot of potential and a distinct tone of voice. When Julian's 20 year old self bursts into the scene, he has a lot of explaining to do. Such as what happened in the future? The past? And how is time travel even possible, anyway? Filled with sly puns and quick beats of humor, this is sure to entertain the middle grade child interested in humor, science, wacky problems, and even wackier solutions.

Review cross-listed here!
RavenclawLibraryBooks
Julian's father is an inventor, who comes up with strange contraptions. One of his latest inventions is an eTab that lets Julian time travel. Julian has quite the quick wit and handles difficult situations be using his brain to outmaneuver trouble makers. The life lessons are real.
The Extraordinary eTab reminded me of the movie Big which was enjoyable.

I want to thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Leah
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Fine middle grade read, especially for fans of light sci-fi and shenanigans. Do wish it had a bit less of the "smart folks" vocab lessons - maybe if it had led to something it would have been a different story, but as it was, it mostly came off as grating after a while - but a thoroughly satisfactory read.
Julieth
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for the opportunity to read this book. It was a cute story about Julian and his etab. I don’t want tia spoil what happens but I really enjoyed this one. There were a few quotes that I highlighted because I felt that these were good messages for the intended audience for this book.
Amy (novelteahappyme)
Reviewed for CM Magazine (U of Manitoba).
William Diehl
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the story about a boy whose father is an inventor and likes to tinker around with creating new things. Many of these inventions or attempts at have gone awry causing the family to have to move as the family home was destroyed in explosions.

Julian seems to finally be happy and feels more secure in this new small town which seems to have a feeling of closeness and connectivity among its residents. That is until his fathers latest invention the E-Tab causes a shocking and unnerving feeling
Keti Kvaratskhelia

• Yoga for Everyone: 50 Poses for Every Type of Body
  • Carrie Fisher & Debbie Reynolds: Princess Leia & Unsinkable Tammy in Hell
  • The Selected Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Be Kind: You Can Make the World a Happier Place! 125 Kind Things to Say & Do
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures (Pip Bartlett, #1)
  • The Song of the Lark (Great Plains Trilogy, #2)
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • The House on Camp Ruby Road
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street
  • Jo's Boys
  • Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #24)
  • The Forbidden Door (Jane Hawk, #4)
  • Battle of the Bands (Middle School Mayhem #4)
  • The Editor
  • Down with the Dance (Middle School Mayhem #1)
  • Bible and Breakfast: 31 Mornings with Jesus--Feeding Our Bodies and Souls Together
Father & husband, which has to be #1.

Writer (whether I want to or not) of books, short stories, flash fiction, poetry, and the future.

Movie aficionado, happy to have moved on from Disney / Pixar to the point where my wife and I can watch REAL movies with the kids.

Musician, who gets in about one hour of practice each quarter.

Infosec / Privacy guy, which is the day job.