Jump to ratings and reviews

Ciao! We're in Africa

I was born Maria Martore in 1934. But I have been renamed Iucci by my husband Eugenio Piergiovanni. He is thirteen years my senior, is fluent in three languages and is a charismatic businessman. We have left Italy and the only family I have ever known to go to Africa seeking adventures and fortune. I keep thinking - Is Africa really going to be that welcoming? Is my husband's dream of selling Italian Haute Couture to expatriates ridiculous?

In December 1955, we settle in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia and open our Italian fashion shop. Our success is promoted by the fashion editor of "The Rhodesian Herald," as we design clothes for the first entrant of the "Miss World" competition from Rhodesia and Nyasaland.

'Ciao! WE'RE IN AFRICA" is based on true events. Through the writing skills of her daughter, Maria-lucci's story is narrated as a memory, as if living in the moment. Coinciding historical event timelines have been carefully researched and evocative photographs included.

288 pages, Paperback

First published October 10, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Marisa Parker

2 books4 followers
Ciao! I'm the middle daughter of Eugenio Piergiovanni and Maria (Iucci) Martore. I'm delighted that both my non-fiction books, based on my Italian parents' lives, are award-winning. With an age gap of thirteen years, my parents' experiences, before and after they were married, made for some rich and sometimes, challenging, writing material.
In “GOODBYE TO Italia” (2016), alternating chapters recount mamma’s journey as a frightened but stoic child amid the cold, hunger and bombings. In contrast, my father, is a cocky young soldier, who is captured and incarcerated in African Prisoner of War camps for six years.
The sequel, “Ciao! WE’RE IN AFRICA” (2018), follows my parents, once they marry and decide to risk everything, by leaving Italy for Africa; it is a land of adventure and hopefully, where they will make their fortune.
I currently live in the Gold Coast Hinterland, Australia with my husband. We have two grown up daughters who were born in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia), the land of my birth. In 2011, I completed a university master’s degree whilst working full time. Both books are available in eBook and print copy. I'd love to hear from you so please visit my website. Arrivederci!
www.marisaparkerauthor.com or keep updated by following FaceBook: @MarisaParkerAuthorHome.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.