Start by marking “When Aidan Became a Brother” as Want to Read:
When Aidan Became a Brother

When Aidan Became a Brother

When Aidan was born, everyone thought he was a girl. His parents gave him a pretty name, his room looked like a girl's room, and he wore clothes that other girls liked wearing. After he realized he was a trans boy, Aidan and his parents fixed the parts of life that didn't fit anymore, and he settled happily into his new life. Then Mom and Dad announce that they're going to ...more
Published May 7th 2019 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about When Aidan Became a Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Aidan Became a Brother

Start your review of When Aidan Became a Brother
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Update Jan. 27 2020: Delighted to see such a deserving story awarded the Stonewall Book Award.

#OwnVoices for trans boy rep. This is somehow even better than I thought it would be?? The illustrations are gorgeous and the text is written with such care. I love the author’s note that speaks directly to kids.
Tasha
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
At birth, everyone thought Aidan was a girl. But as Aidan grew up, he didn’t like his name, the way his room was decorated, or wearing girl clothes. Aidan cut his hair off, realizing that he was a boy. He told his parents, and they learned from other families what having a transgender child is all about. Aidan picked his new name, they changed his bedroom into one that felt right, and he liked his new clothes. Then Aidan’s mother got pregnant. Aidan loved helping pick clothes for the baby, paint ...more
Rebecca Honeycutt
Not only is this book desperately needed, but it's also packed with kid appeal, as well as illustrations SO adorably charming that I can barely handle it.
Maggi Rohde
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s one of those amazing accomplishments: a book about LGBTQIA kids that isn’t didactic or boring. With enormous kid appeal, this book deserves to be shared widely and often.
Andrew
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It isn't until a few years of Aidan's life that he and his family realize he is a boy, not a girl. When he transitions, he flourishes and thrives, feeling whole. Then he gets news-- he's going to be a big brother! It's very exciting, but Aidan is worried about everything being perfect for the baby. I think readers of any and every age should read this book-- it really puts into perspective how much we gender things, even babies before they're born. This is a very big thing that can wind up being ...more
Andrew Greenlaw-Houldsworth
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AHHHH SO GOOD!! What i love the most is that this picture book uses explicit language when describing the protagonist as trans, which helps kids have a better understanding of gender. It also explores how being trans/nonbinary can make the subject of a new sibling can be hard for a kid who was misgendered at birth and early on in life. Great for 5 and up, and an exemplary gift book. Highlyhighly HIGHLY recommend.
Jillian Heise
THIS is the book. A beautiful and empowering story of identity. What we've been needing in our schools. The one that is going to thoughtfully, lovingly, and honestly help our kids better understand transgender kids they hear about, encounter, or know. I urge you to order this picture book and share it with all kids in your life.
Darla
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE Aidan, with his excellent outfits and his plants, I love all the fun little details in the illustrations (gonna need that lady's watermelon romper, thanks), and most of all I love having these beautiful words to share with readers, whether they're getting ready to become a a big sibling, thinking about who they are, or just looking for a sweet and uplifting read!
Inge
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-purchase for every library that serves children and their families.
Brierley
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss + in exchange for an honest review.
This is a beautiful book! Kyle Lukoff does an excellent job thoughtfully presenting Aidan's perspective. I found Kaylani Juanita's illustrations joyful and exuberant. My favorite part was when Aidan changed 50,000+ names for boys and girls to 50,000+ names for babies and babies. 😉 I hope to see more of Aidan in the future.

Ivy Moser
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Love the story, love the art, love the message! Affirming and inclusive and a great way to learn and grow for all ages.

Please read it!
TJ
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a genuine, wholesome read. I highly recommend it to parents wanting to introduce their children to transgender topics -- or to just anyone; it's something you can appreciate at any age. 5/5 stars.
Colleen
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aidan’s family is great, so is the author’s note & the illustrator’s dedication. ...more
Cheryl Klein
This is what I wrote on AIDAN's publication day in 2019:

Today is the publication day for a picture book I edited and love very much, WHEN AIDAN BECAME A BROTHER by Kyle Lukoff, illustrated by Kaylani Juanita. This came to me via the excellent Bill Konigsberg, and was one of those unicorn manuscripts that I knew I wanted to publish from the very first time I read it. Part of its specialness was that all of the picture books about transgender kids I’d seen up to that point were focused exclusivel
Alyssa Heun
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
I found this book using the Rainbow Book List 2020 Top Ten.

The story is about Aidan who was born a girl, but realizes that he doesn’t feel like a girl. He feels as if he was another kind of boy. The story is told from his perspective on how it was hard to tell his family and for others in the community to understand what he was going through, but through it all he had his family to support him through the transition. Aidan not only talks about support from his family, but support from other tra
Abigail
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books Depicting Transgender Children
A young transgender boy confronts the idea of becoming an older brother in this sweet picture-book from author Kyle Lukoff and illustrator Kaylani Juanita. Born as a girl, Aidan never felt comfortable with that gender identification, eventually sharing his deep frustration with his supportive parents. Now happily living as a boy, he isn't sure how to react when his mother announces she is expecting another child. He wants to be a loving sibling, and to ensure that the baby is happy. But what sho ...more
Chinook
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, lgbtq
This was a great read. It stimulated a lot of questions and discussion. Both girls seem to understand the basic idea of transgender and understood why Aidan was worried about the baby being gendered. They struggled a bit with pronouns at times during the story and we talked about the concept of deadnaming when Kait wanted to know his girl name.

Overall, this is presently my favourite book to introduce children to transgender children.
Emmy Neal
This book was SO CUTE!!! Ugh, my heart hurts.
Ben Truong
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Aidan Became a Brother is a children's picture book written by Kyle Lukoff and illustrated by Kaylani Juanita, which stars a transgender boy, who anticipates his new job as a big brother by helping his parents prepare for his baby sibling's arrival.

Lukoff's text is rather simplistic and straightforward. It is written with sensitivity and candor as Aidan takes his first steps toward claiming his identity. When his mother is expecting another child, Aidan excitedly prepares for his big brothe
Sabrina
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great picture book illustrating the story of a transgender boy who wants to make sure that his new sibling feels understood. I appreciate that the author mentions that it was a transitioning time for the parents as well.

I felt for Aidan during the parts where he and his parents where met with people who did not understand/were being nosy for no reason. I wanted to reach through the story and give him a huge hug and tell him that people suck sometimes.

The illustrations are absolutely
Kris Dersch
This was wonderful! It explains Aidan's journey as a trans boy clearly and in a way kids will understand (and without misgendering or deadnaming him, very important,) and then switches gears into how he prepares for the arrival of his new sibling and despite his worries that the world will be imperfect for the new baby (as it was for him) love is the most important thing. Mistakes will be made, they always are, such a reassuring message for both parents and kids. A wonderful and inclusive book f ...more
Missy
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes! This book has so much that I was hoping for - a story about a young trans boy (there aren't many kids books about trans boys) that doesn't only focus on his transition but has another story as well. It also provides critical thinking about how to create supportive environments for diverse gender identity development. And wonderful to see a family of color! I've been waiting for something like this.
Caroline
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES OWN VOICES! This is a wonderful book about a little boy who is born a girl and doesn't feel right in his own skin. His family is warm and supportive and willing to learn to help him be himself. The author is also transgender and his author's note details how important this story is for kids who may be going through the same transitions as Aidan. I loved this book!
June
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: acceptance and self determination requests
Recommended to June by: Goodreads
Rounded up because I feel this is a much needed book. A child feels trapped because everyone thinks he is a girl. He acts out, but finally tells his parents. It takes some time for everyone to adjust, but they all learn a lot form other families with transgender kids. He chooses a new name, they change his room so he feels he belongs. When his parents announce that there will be another baby, Aidan is excited about being a big brother and wants to get it right (except the changing diapers bit.) ...more
La'Tina Redmond
When Aidan Became a Brother by Kyle Lukoff is a unique story about finding your true self. "When Aidan was born, everyone thought he was a girl". Aidan knew at an early age that he was different and didn't fit in with the other girls. With the help of his parents he is able to be himself and help his mother and father prepare for his new sibling."He wanted to make sure this baby would fell understood right away".

This book helps to introduce the idea of transgender roles in our society. It will
Molly
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Tells the story of Aidan, a young trans boy who is about to become a brother. He wants to get everything right so the new baby feels welcome and they can be themself. This is a lovely story not only about the transgender experience but also the anxieties that can come with becoming an older sibling. It feels authentic because it is written by an actual transgender person. The illustrations are lovely too. Overall, a great picture book.
KDV
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book. There are very few books about transgender boys; most I see are about transgender girls, so this is a perfect addition to our shelves. I also like that the book nudges us to rethink the ways we gender people every day (ex. people asking Aidan's mom "Are you having a girl or a boy?" and her answering "I'm having a baby"). Very sweet & thoughtful book. Excellent illustrations. ...more
Kim
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Aidan, a transgender boy, finds out his mother is having a baby, he wonders how he can help the baby to be themselves. Written by an own voices author, this thoughtful book will help young readers to learn more about themselves and the people with whom they share the world. Read. Learn. Share.
Patricia McLaughlin
Oversimplification of gender identity issues reinforces gender stereotypes in unhelpful ways, suggesting that a child’s sex is a function of external conditions such as hairstyles, clothing, and bedroom decor. Nonetheless, this story is a step toward transgender representation and earns an extra star for portraying people of color in a multicultural neighborhood.
Stephanie Bange
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book pulls no punches on what it is like to be young and transgender.

Born as a girl, Aidan knew something was not right. He felt like all the girly stuff -- his room, his name, his clothes were all wrong. He finally felt right when he cut off his braids and told his parents what he knew about himself. This adjustment took some time for his family. With the help of other families with transgender kids, they all learned a lot. Shortly after his transition, his mother looks to him to help
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »