Start by marking “Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!” as Want to Read:
Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!

Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!

Mo Romero is a zombie who loves nothing more than growing, cooking, and eating vegetables. Tomatoes? Tantalizing. Peppers? Pure perfection! The problem? Mo's parents insist that their niño eat only zombie cuisine, like arm-panadas and finger foods. They tell Mo over and over that zombies don't eat veggies. But Mo can't imagine a lifetime of just eating zombie food and givi ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by Lee & Low

To ask other readers questions about Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!

May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, zombie

Mo is a zombie with a secret. He loves—*whispers* veggies. Yup. You heard me. Vegetables! Zombies aren’t supposed to like spinach and cucumbers and kale though. Right? His parents think veggies are gross. But young Mo has a plan, if he can convince his parents that veggies can be yummy, he won’t have to keep his love a secret anymore. No more hiding! But will Mo tell his parents the truth? And will they accept their son’s taste for the green, chopped, diced delights? You have to read to find out
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Mo Romero (yes, Romero) is a little zombie boy who likes to eat veggies! But Zombie mom and dad can't believe he craves anything so gross! This role reversal (usually mom and dad want you to eat more veggies) will make both parents and children talk about eating veggies in a fun way.
Ro Menendez
Mo Romero is a non-brain-eating zombie. Mo is a vegetarian, a hiding-in-the-shed vegetarian who wants to be his true self with those he loves the most, his mom and dad. Authors Megan and Jorge Lacera don't shy away from being realistic within the fantastical-zombie-pun-filled world they have created; more often than not when a family member does not follow the cookie cutter path expected and makes it known, he or she is met with disbelief and resistance. I appreciated that the authors respected ...more
Stephanie Bange
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With zombies as hot as they are today, this is a welcome addition to humorous stories for kids.

Mo Romero is not like other zombie boys. He does not like zombie foods like "brains", "man-naise", "Dori-toes", or "Chili con ojos". Instead, he would rather a delicioso meal of celery, tomatoes and carrots. Horrors! His parents just don't understand his taste buds, however they come to accept him as he is because they are more than zombies -- they are a family.

Told using very yummy words like "tantal
Renee Lute
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are so many reasons to love this book. Megan and Jorge Lacera have such a fabulous sense of humor, accessible to both kids and their parents. I love the bilingual element, the “it’s okay to be different” element, the zombie family dynamic, etc. A fresh book that hits so many notes.
Priscilla
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book!! Some basic Spanish in the book which makes it a great read for young kids who like learning new things.
Annalisa
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eb, storytime-family
Great fun read. I think kids will really enjoy this! It's longer than I use in storytimes, but it is a good read-aloud for a school-age (or even attentive preschool-aged) crowd. This book also works in a couple of Spanish words, which I felt was a nice way to diversify a book about fictional creatures.
Tina Dalton
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute and funny picture book about a zombie kid who only wants to eat veggies and this time it's the parents who can't stand to eat healthy!
Edward Sullivan
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Young zombie Mo's affinity for vegetables puzzles his chagrined but ultimately accepting parents.
Dylan Teut
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pair with Gregory the Terrible Eater.
Sydney
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good book.
Danielle
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't write this book off.
C.L. Murphy
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy aioli! Could ZOMBIES DON’T EAT VEGGIES! be more appetizing?! Kids will devour the clever premise, delectable illustrations, sprinkling of Spanish, and tasty puns.
Kristen Kiesling
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most creative, funny picture book I’ve read in ages!! My kids LOVE this book and it's one I love rereading to them nightly! Beautiful illustrations AND funny story. I also love the creative Zoombie food names sprinkled about with touches of Spanish! Well done!!!!!!
Shana
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly delightful! We received ZOMBIES DON'T EAT VEGGIES a few days ago, and my son has chosen it as his bedtime book every night since. And we both love that it is a bilingual book! My son adores the illustrations, and laughs at the different 'cuisines' drawn in the book. I can't wait to see what the Laceras create next!
Jessica (Spooky KidLit & We Who Walk Here, Walk Alone)
Zombies Don’t Eat Veggies! is a sweet, hilarious picture book that combines cartoony gore, wicked puns, and a heartwarming family dynamic to show kids that the best thing in the world to be is yourself. Husband-and-wife team Jorge and Megan Lacera fill the pages with delightfully macabre wordplay — I love a good pun, so I requested this book for review the second I saw the word “arm-panadas” — and winks at zombies in pop culture. For example, the family of zombies has the surname Romero, which i ...more
Barbara
I'd give this one a 3.5 for its freshness and cultural appeal. The sprinkling of Spanish in the text and the use of zombies who are carnivores add to the book's attractiveness for youngsters. Plus, they are sure to enjoy the idea of a youngster who keeps urging his parents to add healthy veggies to their diet instead of the parents doing out vegetables to him. That reversal of roles and the cleverness of the protagonist, Mo Romero, who even prepares a delicious soup that disguises the vegetables ...more
Rachel
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, I have to admit, me and my girls are not usually big zombie fans. (In fact, my kids think most Disney movies are “too scary!”) That being said, the Laceras did a great job of making Zombies Don’t Eat Veggies kid-friendly, funny, and not-too-gruesome. Zombies is just the right flavor if you or your children love zombies (and other creepy crawlies), or if you’re just in the mood for a little spooky fun. This book is funny, AND it encourages healthy eating without being heavy handed. Zombies ...more
Diane
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
“Mo was a zombie with a deep, dark craving. It was dreadful. Devious. Absolutely despicable.”

Mo loves his vegetables, but can’t convince his parents to eat them. They insist that Mo should eat zombie food like them. He even tries to fool them with his Blood Bile Bisque to no avail. So Mo just has to remind his folks he still does other zombie things, but he’s also different.
Ruby
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Zombies, veggies, and Spanish vocabulary!
Kaitlin
3.5 stars; I love the illustrations, and the story is very fun - but I think it's probably a bit grotesque to use with my library crowd (most of whom think Coco is "too scary").
Cheryl
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think this plot has been done more successfully in other books but if zombies are your thing this can be a fun book.
Lisa
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An adorable and punny book about embracing differences and trying to better understand each other.
Jj
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute addition to the existing body of zombie picture books for kids, and I love that the family's name is ROMERO in ode to George Romero.
Cory
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great kids book with a great message. I love the cultural influences and the fun read. :).
Melissa
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute! Love the humor and kid friendly zombie illustrations!
Jacqui
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, family, tba-co
Nice recipes in the back.
Maggie Mattmiller