Start by marking “Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!” as Want to Read:
Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!

Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!

Mo Romero is a zombie who loves nothing more than growing, cooking, and eating vegetables. Tomatoes? Tantalizing. Peppers? Pure perfection! The problem? Mo's parents insist that their niño eat only zombie cuisine, like arm-panadas and finger foods. They tell Mo over and over that zombies don't eat veggies. But Mo can't imagine a lifetime of just eating zombie food and ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by Lee & Low

To ask other readers questions about Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!

Start your review of Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie, picture-books

Mo is a zombie with a secret. He loves—*whispers* veggies. Yup. You heard me. Vegetables! Zombies aren’t supposed to like spinach and cucumbers and kale though. Right? His parents think veggies are gross. But young Mo has a plan, if he can convince his parents that veggies can be yummy, he won’t have to keep his love a secret anymore. No more hiding! But will Mo tell his parents the truth? And will they accept their son’s taste for the green, chopped, diced delights? You have to read to find
Jon Nakapalau
Mo Romero (yes, Romero) is a little zombie boy who likes to eat veggies! But Zombie mom and dad can't believe he craves anything so gross! This role reversal (usually mom and dad want you to eat more veggies) will make both parents and children talk about eating veggies in a fun way.
Ro Menendez
Mo Romero is a non-brain-eating zombie. Mo is a vegetarian, a hiding-in-the-shed vegetarian who wants to be his true self with those he loves the most, his mom and dad. Authors Megan and Jorge Lacera don't shy away from being realistic within the fantastical-zombie-pun-filled world they have created; more often than not when a family member does not follow the cookie cutter path expected and makes it known, he or she is met with disbelief and resistance. I appreciated that the authors respected ...more
Stephanie Bange
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With zombies as hot as they are today, this is a welcome addition to humorous stories for kids.

Mo Romero is not like other zombie boys. He does not like zombie foods like "brains", "man-naise", "Dori-toes", or "Chili con ojos". Instead, he would rather a delicioso meal of celery, tomatoes and carrots. Horrors! His parents just don't understand his taste buds, however they come to accept him as he is because they are more than zombies -- they are a family.

Told using very yummy words like
Renee Lute
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are so many reasons to love this book. Megan and Jorge Lacera have such a fabulous sense of humor, accessible to both kids and their parents. I love the bilingual element, the “it’s okay to be different” element, the zombie family dynamic, etc. A fresh book that hits so many notes.
Dylan Teut
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pair with Gregory the Terrible Eater.
Peacegal
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved, loved, loved this. Like a mashup of GREGORY, THE TERRIBLE EATER and "Count Duckula" with a dash of Spanish vocabulary thrown in, this is the story of a little zombie child who just can't stomach brains, toes, and eyeballs--he much prefers vegetables!

Little Mo's parents just don't get it. They do everything they can to get their son to eat in the traditional zombie fashion, but Mo is steadfast--veggies, not brains, are for him.

At the end, there's a wonderful realization by all parties
Kaitlyn
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book in our house! My three-year-old aughter immediately was drawn to the cover, even the inside covers, and thinks the book is so intriguing and the pictures captivating. I really enjoy the lessons the book gives about how families can love each aa other even if they're different and that it's okay to like vegetables! The pages are filled with phenomenal art, hilarious puns, and a great storyline. Our favorite spread is when Mo creates a dish to try to trick his parents into ...more
Priscilla
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book!! Some basic Spanish in the book which makes it a great read for young kids who like learning new things.
Annalisa
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eb, storytime-family
Great fun read. I think kids will really enjoy this! It's longer than I use in storytimes, but it is a good read-aloud for a school-age (or even attentive preschool-aged) crowd. This book also works in a couple of Spanish words, which I felt was a nice way to diversify a book about fictional creatures.
Tina Dalton
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute and funny picture book about a zombie kid who only wants to eat veggies and this time it's the parents who can't stand to eat healthy!
Edward Sullivan
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Young zombie Mo's affinity for vegetables puzzles his chagrined but ultimately accepting parents.
Sydney
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good book.
Danielle
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't write this book off.
C.L. Murphy
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy aioli! Could ZOMBIES DON’T EAT VEGGIES! be more appetizing?! Kids will devour the clever premise, delectable illustrations, sprinkling of Spanish, and tasty puns.
Jnase1
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reminded me of Gregory the Horrible Eater.

Fun Halloween book that teaches about acceptance-even in families.
Kristen Kiesling
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most creative, funny picture book I’ve read in ages!! My kids LOVE this book and it's one I love rereading to them nightly! Beautiful illustrations AND funny story. I also love the creative Zoombie food names sprinkled about with touches of Spanish! Well done!!!!!!
Shana
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly delightful! We received ZOMBIES DON'T EAT VEGGIES a few days ago, and my son has chosen it as his bedtime book every night since. And we both love that it is a bilingual book! My son adores the illustrations, and laughs at the different 'cuisines' drawn in the book. I can't wait to see what the Laceras create next!
Cory
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great kids book with a great message. I love the cultural influences and the fun read. :).
Jessica (Spooky KidLit & We Who Walk Here, Walk Alone)
Zombies Don’t Eat Veggies! is a sweet, hilarious picture book that combines cartoony gore, wicked puns, and a heartwarming family dynamic to show kids that the best thing in the world to be is yourself. Husband-and-wife team Jorge and Megan Lacera fill the pages with delightfully macabre wordplay — I love a good pun, so I requested this book for review the second I saw the word “arm-panadas” — and winks at zombies in pop culture. For example, the family of zombies has the surname Romero, which ...more
Barbara
I'd give this one a 3.5 for its freshness and cultural appeal. The sprinkling of Spanish in the text and the use of zombies who are carnivores add to the book's attractiveness for youngsters. Plus, they are sure to enjoy the idea of a youngster who keeps urging his parents to add healthy veggies to their diet instead of the parents doing out vegetables to him. That reversal of roles and the cleverness of the protagonist, Mo Romero, who even prepares a delicious soup that disguises the ...more
Sara Magnafichi
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Thank you to Children's Book Pres publishing for providing #Collabookation a copy of this story.

I absolutely LOVED this story! It's that time of year again where books like these are perfect read alouds for the fall season, but I think that this book is also just a fun book for any time of year! Mo is not your typical zombie boy. He doesn't eat what zombies eat, but instead craves vegetables. His parents keep telling him that vegetables are NOT zombie food, but it's what he loves! It gets to a
Rachel
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, I have to admit, me and my girls are not usually big zombie fans. (In fact, my kids think most Disney movies are “too scary!”) That being said, the Laceras did a great job of making Zombies Don’t Eat Veggies kid-friendly, funny, and not-too-gruesome. Zombies is just the right flavor if you or your children love zombies (and other creepy crawlies), or if you’re just in the mood for a little spooky fun. This book is funny, AND it encourages healthy eating without being heavy handed. Zombies ...more
Sarah Hough
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: h-approved
Mo is a zombie who loves to eat vegetables. His parents are zombies who do not eat vegetables. Throughout the story, Mo has a secret vegetable garden and kitchen that he uses to make some of his favorite dishes. When he tries to trick his parents into eating gazpacho, they end up having a discussion about how Mo is still the same zombie who likes to chase marathon runners and watch his dad at brain eating contests, but he just happens to like vegetables. His parents accept that and help him ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mo loves vegetables. And that was a problem in his zombie culture.

Mo tries to rack up the zombie level of his vegetarian dishes by giving them zombie names, but it doesn't have the desired effect. Finally Mo is forced to simply plead with his parents to allow him to be a little different. And they do.

Zombies Don't Eat Veggies is filled with lots of clever word play and has enough of a creepiness factor to satisfy all of our young scary book readers.
Nina
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mo is a kid zombie with a terrible secret. He loves vegetables! Will he be accepted by his family? Will he make them love vegetables as much as him? I loved how the author made this zombie family a Spanish zombie family! The author adds in Spanish language in for a lovely blended book. The foods are ethnic too with "Famoso Chili Con Ojo" , "Arroz con Spleen", and "Arm-Panadas." A perfect book for a fun read aloud, especially around Halloween.
Diane
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
“Mo was a zombie with a deep, dark craving. It was dreadful. Devious. Absolutely despicable.”

Mo loves his vegetables, but can’t convince his parents to eat them. They insist that Mo should eat zombie food like them. He even tries to fool them with his Blood Bile Bisque to no avail. So Mo just has to remind his folks he still does other zombie things, but he’s also different.
Sherry Philippus
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not usually a zombie lover, but this one made me laugh out loud several times! This story communicates a wonderful "be yourself" message with diverse, funny characters, and I especially love how the little vegetarian zombie-son reminds his parents of the ways that he's still a zombie, despite his choice to not eat brains. A fresh, relevant, appealing approach!
Nessa
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hispanic zombie family who do not like veggies except for their son Mo! Mo loves his veggies and tries to convince his zombie parents to love them too!

There are some Spanish words in the book and a nice recipe for Mo's Garden Gazpacho.
Margaux
Love the Spanish words peppered throughout, and the quirky, cute food names that he mentions all over the place. I'd recommend it to any kid who's a foodie. A comment my coworker Lina heard when she used this in storytime: "Oh this book has Spanish. I speak Spanish too!"

• Truman