Start by marking “When You Find My Body: The Disappearance of Geraldine Largay on the Appalachian Trail” as Want to Read:

When Geraldine "Gerry" Largay (AT trail name, Inchworm) first went missing on the Appalachian Trail in remote western Maine in 2013, the people of Maine were wrought with concern. When she was not found, the family, the wardens, and the Navy personnel who searched for her were devastated. The Maine Warden Service continued to follow leads for more than a year. They never c ...more
Published June 1st 2019 by Down East Books

To ask other readers questions about When You Find My Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Find My Body

Valerity (Val)
Gerry Largay had a dream to hike the Appalachian Trail and at age sixty-six she was thrilled to finally be doing it. She’d started out hiking with her good friend Jane Lee, and Gerry’s husband George served as support crew. Part way through the journey Jane had a family emergency and had to return home. Gerry decided to hike on alone. She and George met and made friends with many hikers along the way, as George dropped her off and hiked in part way with her some mornings, and drove ahead to the ...more
Linda Strong
Geraldine Largay hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2013. That's where she disappeared. She was presumed dead after a year of searches produced no body, no clues to what happened. This case became the largest lost-person search in Maine history.

Two years after her disappearance , her bones and scattered possessions were found by chance. She was on the U.S. Navy’s SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape) School land, about 2,100 feet from the Appalachian Trail.

This author was one of the hundr
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
When You Find My Body is the story of Geraldine (Gerry) Largay, an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker who disappeared in 2013. I was very excited to see this book is coming out, as my husband and I are avid hikers and I distinctly remember hearing about her disappearance and wondering if we would ever find out what happened to her.

First of all: this book is being marketed as a thriller and or true crime. WHAT?!? It is neither of those, least of all true crime. There was no crime committed here! None!
Sabine
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book that any hiker or person that enters the woods should read.
Without being boring or lecturing the reader it makes very clear that basic skills like being able to use a compass and know how to start a fire etc can prevent a terrible outcome. Just following the one rule to not move as soon as you notice that you are lost, if you don't have survival skills, will most likely lead to a better ending.

It tells the story of Gerry and George, a wonderful couple, that make her big
Sheri Joyce
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Being unfamiliar with the story of Gerry Largay and the Appalachian Trail but a true crime and mystery fan, I was excited to read this book. This story is a sad one and a cautionary tale to hikers everywhere. Not being a hiker myself, I learned some interesting tidbits and was surprised at some of the statistics quoted on how people prepare before undertaking a challenging trail.

The book is a quick read but I was mildly disappointed with the structure of the writing. I would have loved to have b
Jessica (RomancingtheBookworm)
When I heard that Dauphinee was coming out with WHEN YOU FIND MY BODY, I immediately added it to my summer reading list.. Because, though I never had the pleasure of meeting Geraldine Largay, her disappearance up in the Western Mountains struck everyone in the region in an intensely personal way. We can never grieve for her with as much depth as those who knew her, or the family that lost her, but those of us who grew up with those mountains, and in the north woods, have learned form childhood t ...more
Sarah Ames-Foley
This review can also be found on my blog.

When You Find My Body is a nonfiction account of the last months of Gerry Largay’s life. Gerry went missing on the Appalachian Trail in 2013, her remains found approximately two years later. The book spans from the time Gerry spent preparing to hike the trail through the aftermath of her final campsite being found. Dauphinee interviews some of Gerry’s trail friends as well as wardens who were involved in her search. He examines every aspect of her hike in
Jill
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars
When You Find My Body
The Disappearance of Geraldine Largay on the Appalachian Trail
By D. Dauphinee
This book covers the fascinating and completely tragic tale of “Inchworm” Gerry Largay’s trek across the Appalachian Trail and her death.
Being from the Midwest, I have heard of the AT but certainly did not know any intimate details regarding it. I enjoyed so much of this book.
I realized how unprepared so many people are for attempting a thru-hike. I was truly astonished at how hard a rescue
Ruth Woodman York
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
As soon as I knew this book was coming out, I knew I'd be reading it. I remember when "Inchworm" went missing, and following the search reports, hoping and praying she would be found. I've hiked a lot myself, including the norther terminus of the AT, the Hunt Trail on Mt. Katahdin. So it felt like a member of my own family was missing in a way. This book was well researched, in the interviews with those who hiked with Gerry at various points on the trail. While I could have done without the hist ...more
Marisa
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a heartbreaking story. I’m intensely fascinated by people who tackle the AT, and over the past couple of years, I’ve gotten more and more interested in different people’s stories about their time on the AT, but this one is probably the saddest of all, though I’m trying not to be TOO sad over it since Gerry’s story deserves to be known as something more than what happened to her in death.

The author clearly cares a lot about multiple aspects of this book, most of all Gerry herself. His emotio
Dianna Weigel
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent account of the events leading up to the disappearance of Appalachian Trail hiker Geraldine Largay and the subsequent two-year search efforts by Maine officials, rescue teams, volunteers and the trail community to locate her. The author, Mr. Dauphinee, clearly presents the facts, provides insight from members of the search teams, other AT hikers and Geraldine’s friends. Dauphinee, an accomplished outdoorsman himself, walks the reader through what Geraldine’s last days may hav ...more
Lara
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 I was happy to find this WAS NOT a thriller book. The author includes a wide array of information about the trail and surroundings, trail etiquette and survival. I enjoyed the writing style and felt it was well polished.

thanks to #Galleymatch from Book Club Cookbook for this ARC
Lorrie McCullers
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a good, but sad read.

This true story of Geraldine Largay, a hiker who went missing on the AT, is an interesting look at the culture of hiking the Appalachian Trail. It also gives insight to the search and rescue teams who search for missing hikers and what they go through.

I really enjoyed this book, even though the outcome was so sad.
Heather Nicole
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you thinking about hiking the Appalachian Trail- read this book. Do you wish hiking the AT was something you could do- read this book. Do you enjoy hearing about empowering women who hike the trail - read this book!
This book absolutely brought a few ACTUAL tears to my eyes. But in the same tears - how lucky Inchworm was able to do something she had always wanted - how many of us can say that!
Maddie Carr
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"When You Find My Body" was written with care and sensitivity about G. Largay, while honoring her family and her legacy. It was difficult to read in places because of the heart-felt sorrow of her demise. D. Dauphinee has extensive experience (and a love for) the outdoors. His research is in depth, leaving no stone unturned. As a hiker, I learned a lot about self-rescue, basics I hadn't known.
Patricia Lane
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, well, well, I have been waiting for this book to be out and as soon as I received it I sat down to learn about Geraldine Largay and what happened to her. I had prayed for her every day that she was lost. I can honestly say the author of this book did a wonderful job in helping us understand how this happened and what could have saved her. She was obviously a remarkable woman and I wish I'd met her in this life. The author also shed a lot of light on what to do and not do when hiking anywhe ...more
Sterling Williamson
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How can a hiker get lost on the Appalachian Trail and not be found? D. Dauphinee addresses this question in detail, and from many perspectives. The book was captivating and well written and may help prevent similar tragedies from happening in the future. I highly recommend this book.
Amy Wels
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
True story of Gerry, who died on the Appalachian Trail after becoming lost, attempting to complete her "adventure of a lifetime." An interesting story of the culture of the trail and those who hike it, many interviews of those who met Gerry and those who searched for her. The author does a great job describing Gerry's passion for the outdoors and her impact on those around her. Sadly, Gerry did not have the survival skills/tools that could have saved her life. Biggest takeaway, always carry a ma ...more
Caitlin
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This case wasn't familiar to me so it was great to learn all about it. The book was very detailed and brought Gerry to life for the readers.
Janilyn Kocher
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
When You Find My Body is a sad, heartbreaking tale. It's about a hiker, Gerry, on the Appalachian Trail who wandered off and died from starvation, it's actually a horrific story, reliving how this poor woman died from starvation as rescuers were so close, yet so far away. Dauphinee details a thoughtful recreation of her journey, although sometimes I felt he extrapolated too much about certain things he could not have known. He does proffer practical advice for hikers that anyone who embarks on a ...more
Nana
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley. I had followed the news coverage of Geraldine “Gerry” Largay's disappearance so I did know who she was. The book was fascinating not only because it told her story, but it also explained how it could have happened that she got lost. It helped make sense of what so many of us couldn't understand and corrected some of the misconceptions during the search for her.
What is unique about this book is the author showed us what hiking the Appalachian Trail
Clark
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHEN YOU FIND MY BODY by Denis “Dee” Dauphinee is about more than just a hiker trekking the Appalachian Trail and becoming lost in the process. Geraldine “Gerry” Largay had a dream. which she put into motion with a clear and disciplined intent on fulfilling it. We the readers hold our own personal dreams, some of which we may act upon. In the blink of an eye, Gerry’s story could be our story.

Without ever having met Gerry “Inchworm” Largay, Dauphinee paints a strong vivid and vibrant picture of
gnarlyhiker
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
A family member, preferably her husband, should have written about the disappearance of Geraldine Largay. It is interesting to note that her family did not participate in this book. A good portion of the topics in this book was unnecessary. Just two examples: the numerous calls from psychics, what they said and how wrong they were, and pointing the blame for her disappearance at her husband: pointless and tacky. But let’s add insult to injury, Mrs. Largay’s getting lost and being lost boils down ...more
Kelly Faysash
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When You Find My Body was both heartbreaking and inspiring to read. I really, really enjoyed the author's style and how they weaved together the journey of an incredible woman. The "characters" in this story are all so interesting and Inchworm was an incredible woman with a true zest for life. Of course this story is somewhat tragic and you know that going in, but at the same time, you are completely mesmerized by the zest for life that this woman had. I wished their were pictures or journal ent ...more
Kimberly Lund
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely tribute to Gerry. It seems pretty apparent that her family didn’t cooperate with the book or at least didn’t cooperate much so most of the information is from friends, fellow hikers she met on the trail and experts on hiking, the trail and search and rescue. It’s an interesting story but there were entire sections of history and psychology that I skipped because while maybe interesting to an experienced biker. Just wasn’t interesting to me as someone who enjoys unsolved mysterie ...more
Rachel Stansel
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
As an AT section hiker, I was aware of Inchworm's story. I appreciate the author's details about the search and about who Gerry was. She was clearly well loved and her death a huge loss. I am touched by her story and will think of her and carry her with me as I hike.

Full disclosure- I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Ranae Ziwiski
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure I would like this book as I am not typically fond of biographies. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I found this book to be equal parts Gerry's story, AT knowledge, human interest and expectation. The outcome is known when you start the book, but the process to get there and the people involved were a good read.
Rebecca
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a galley match for our book club! Good book with perspective of hikers and their interactions on the AT Gerry made readers aware of the necessities & knowledge needed for any hiking trip!
G
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
In April of 2013, Geraldine ‘Gerry’ Largay set out to hike the Appalachian Trail. She was a ‘well-equipped, capable hiker who was mentally well-prepared’ and who had planned her hike meticulously. She was supported by her husband, who met Gerry every few days with supplies and a ride to a town for a night in a motel and food. She began the hike with a friend. In short, she was well-prepared for the trail.

In fact, she successfully made progress on the trail for 87 days.

However, on July 21 she was
Duncan MacDonald
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When You Find My Body (Book Review).

I absolutely loved this book! I’d read one other book by this author, ‘Highlanders Without Kilts’ (2015), and thoroughly enjoyed it. It held a personal interest for me as my Grand Uncle had served with the 85th Nova Scotia Highlanders in WWI. D. Dauphinee’s latest book also reminds me of a personal story.

I, along with my brother and a friend, went astray in the woods of northern Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in 1972. I was 10, and the oldest of the three lost for a
Goodreads Reviewe...: Four galleys left, anyone interested? 1 11 Feb 23, 2019 12:57PM
Dee is an essayist and novelist, living in Maine. He has been a farmer, a photographer, a fly fishing & mountaineering guide, an orthopaedic physician’s assistant and a semi-pro wide receiver.
Dee was born with a wanderlust in Bangor, Maine. He attended several colleges and for a decade split his time between Jackson Hole, WY, and Vancouver, British Columbia. His guiding and photography took hi
“The young surveyor peered closer. Inside the bag were some bones. They were unmistakably human.” 0 likes
“She was simple in her intentions; she embraced the challenge of seeing the thing through.” 0 likes