Start by marking “The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11” as Want to Read:
The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11

The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11

For more than three decades, Ellen Datlow has been at the center of horror. Bringing you the most frightening and terrifying stories, Datlow always has her finger on the pulse of what horror readers crave. Now, with the tenth volume of the series, Datlow is back again to bring you the stories that will keep you up at night.

Encompassed in the pages of The Best Horror of the
Expected publication: September 3rd 2019 by Night Shade Books

To ask other readers questions about The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11

Lisa
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to Skyhorse publishing and Netgalley.
Truth is, Ellen Datlow almost always does a great job of picking stories and author's. Now, if that's not what she does, then I take it back! Somebody does a great job!
I liked a good 70% of these stories. Not bad. Was it the best horror of the year? Eh, that's always debatable. What I enjoy about anthologies is the fact that I probably wouldn't have read any of these stories, were it not for the fact that they are collected here. Cool beans!
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
In memory of Gardner Dozois? He passed away? I had no idea. The world of anthologies is bereft of its master.

I'll be reviewing each short story as I finish it so future me will thank past me in a well-earned time travel handshake. Each short story's review is structured as follows:

1) A description of the genre
2)An overall view of my taste or distaste at the story
3) Some useful star ratings.

Wait, Gardner Dozois passed away last year? That's horrible. I had no idea. The world of anthologies is
Sheila
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars--somewhere between liked and really liked. However, I'm bumping this up to 4 stars due to the strength of the historical shipwreck story "Haunt." This story, about the slave trade, guilt, and personal responsibility, blew me away. (And so timely.) It echoed a lot of Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and was absolutely stunning; it made me tear up.

Another standout for me was "The Donner Party." Yes, it's about eating people, but not how you think--this is an English Regency roma
Irene
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
I love short horror stories and although I have not read all 11 volumes of The Best Horror Of The Year, Volume 11 stands out as my favorite among the few that I have read. There are stories that are quite disturbing (Thumbsucker by Robert Shearman and The Donner Party by Dale Bailey for example) and stories that are frightening (Milkteeth by Kristi DeMeester) But my absolute favorites were those that featured people away from their homes facing strange customs such as in "White Mare" by Thana Ni ...more
KatsCauldron
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I like about these anthologies of short stories is it get me out of my comfort zone and introduces me to a lot different authors and types of stories be it horror, fantasy, sci fi, thriller or as is shown here horror in one of the above categories. This was a good selection and there was a couple of disturbing stories one I will touch on briefly in style because that is what it is: the ending part Painted Wolves was meant to be as nightmarey ambiguous but definite as possible, of cours ...more
Melissa
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love anthologies. There’s always something for everyone. Even if you don’t like all the stories, you’re bound to like some of them. And it gives you a taste of some author’s writings, some you may not have heard of before.

My favourite stories in the collection were Haunt, Shit Happens, The Donner Party, You Are Released, and Red Rain.

Highly recommend. I will definitely be checking out the other anthologies from this e
Kym Jones
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best Horror of the Year, Vol. 11 is definitely an interesting read. It has everything one can want in horror from the monstrous villains to psychological mind twisting. I actually really enjoyed reading this book, and look forward to the next volume in this series. I read a previous volume which had Kelley Armstrong (I don't know what volume that was) and read a few other stories, thinking I may or may not read another volume, but after reading this book, I can honestly say I am now looking ...more
Rachel  Drenning
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this collection of stories. A lot of my favorite authors. Some that are included that the stories stood out for me were....Joe Hill, Kristi DeMeester, John Langan, Gemma Files, and Siobhan Carroll. Definitely a must read for horror lovers. These books make great gifts!😉
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book thanks to Net Galley and publisher Skyhorse Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

An anthology calling itself 'The Best Horror of the Year' certainly has a lot to live up to. How did it fare?

Total number of stories: 22 (my Kindle ARC missed two for some reason)
Great stories: 7
Good/Okay stories: 4

I Remember Nothing by Anne Billson-A woman wakes up next to a strange man in a creepy room and neither of them remember what has happened. This started well and did s
Mike Dominic
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wonder if I have the audacity to review a volume edited by Ellen Datlow? Apparently I do.

I have been reading Datlow's anthologies since the first volume of Year's Best Fantasy and Horror (co-edited with Terri Windling. Was it really THAT long ago?). She, along with Charles L. Grant, contributed to my first understanding of just what a good editor can do for a book, and is still one of the few editorial names I will look for on a book, when the author names are usually enough to draw me in.
I op
Suz Jay
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Not only does this volume contain 26* horror stories that do a great job of covering various aspects of the genre and a list of honorable mentions, a look at the year in horror and dark fiction is included. The winners of the Bram Stoker, Shirley Jackson, and World Fantasy awards are listed. Also included are lists of notable novels, novellas, chapbooks, magazines, webzines, anthologies, collectio
Shelby
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Review: The Best Horror Of The Year Volume Eleven
By: Ellen Datlow
Genre: Fiction/ Horror
Publisher: Nightshade/ Simon & Schuster
Release Date: September 3, 2019

I received a copy of this from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

When I was a teenager I DEVOURED the horror genre. It was pretty much all I read. Then, I went years without reading anything. Like... at. All. OUCH. Anyways, when I saw this book, I snatched it right up and was more tha
Scott Wilson
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellen Datlow has been at the forefront of selecting the finest short stories in horror for decades now and her name alone sells these Best Horror books. You know that only quality short stories are going to be included in the volume, regardless of if the author is a big-ticket writer like Joe Hill, Stephen King or a relative newbie in the industry.

The Best Horror of the Year Volume Eleven contains 26 top-notch pieces of speculative fiction and vivid horror that will keep you awake at night. As u
Shane
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
disclaimer: i received a copy of this book via skyhorse publishing in return for an honest review.

i am addicted to horror - movies, tv shows, podcasts, novels, and short stories. i am addicted to short stories. sometimes, i'll read one or two stories and go back later. that simply doesn't happen when it's an ellen datlow anthology. in that case, i generally read until my eyes plead for rest and then read one or two more.

datlow's the best horror of the year volume 11 is definitely not an exceptio
Mary
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my eyes, excellent horror relies on imagination, the strange, the "what if" and the mood. This IS excellent horror. Excellent horror requires a reader to read between the lines and pick up on the little things, to have a vivid imagination, an open mind and the ability to see the horror in the common places, people and things of this world. If you're expecting stories loaded with cheap scares and gore, you will not find that here. Thank you for that.
When I first start this collection I though
Mommacat
Review Copy

What is horror? Horror is disturbing, it makes you uncomfortable, it doesn't always go boo! and scare you silly. Each year Ellen Datlow picks and chooses from short stories published in anthologies and magazines to assemble in one massive volume. Much like any awards show you may not agree with all of her choices. But, there is always plenty of good reading if you're willing to open your mind and try.

There were only a couple of stories that really weren't to my taste. And for some rea
Mary
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like excellent short horror, minus gore
When I first start this collection I though
Christi Nogle
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read The Best Horror of the Year every year and was happy to get volume eleven early from NetGalley.

Some personal favorites: "Golden Sun" was a great story, a collaboration by Kristi DeMeester, Richard Thomas, Damien Angelica Walters, and Michael Wehunt. "Painted Wolves" by Ray Cluley and "I Love You, Mary-Grace" by Amelia Mangan both originally appeared in an anthology titled In Dog We Trust, which I'll be sure to read after this. Other favorites were "Thin Cold Hands" by Gemma Files," "You
Kathy Carberry
Aug 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have never considered myself squeamish in any way. I have read many horror novels and have seen more then my fair share of scary movies, but this book took me beyond the beyonds. It is definitely not for the faint of heart and the stories are disturbing to say the least and seem more geared toward shock then actual story telling. That being said, I admire to some degree the boldness and serious stepping out of the comfort zone. Stories should push the limits and do what they set out to do, bec ...more
Annarella
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, edelweiss
I liked this book, it was a fun and disturbing read that kept me hooked till the last page.
The type of story varies as their level of creepiness. Not all of them were very good but all were an engrossing read.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Cynthia D
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were quite the variety of horror stories in here! Although I wasn’t a fan of a number, I did find some standout stories that really tickled my paranormal horror fancy. If you enjoy horror, you’ll likely enjoy the variety of stories in this collection and find some personal favorites.
Heather Bennett
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone who loves horror stories. There are some great authors in this collection. Well written and entertaining.
Steph Auteri
Jun 17, 2019
Dawn
Jun 18, 2019
Literary Horror: Ellen Datlow 5 29 Jan 28, 2019 07:59PM
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter