Start by marking “Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)

Scavenge the Stars

(Scavenge the Stars #1)

When Amaya rescues a mysterious stranger from drowning, she fears her rash actions have earned her a longer sentence on the debtor ship where she’s been held captive for years. Instead, the man she saved offers her unimaginable riches and a new identity, setting Amaya on a perilous course through the coastal city-state of Moray, where old-world opulence and desperate ...more
Published January 7th 2020 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Scavenge the Stars, please sign up.
Jackie The main male character is bi, and we briefly meet two men who are gay or bi. It looks like the main (possibly only) intended romances will likely be…moreThe main male character is bi, and we briefly meet two men who are gay or bi. It looks like the main (possibly only) intended romances will likely be het in the end, though, main male and main female.(less)

Start your review of Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
Tara ☽
May 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
I want the girl on the cover of this to stab me
megs_bookrack
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
On the debtor's ship, The Brackish, young Silverfish, once known as Amaya, spends her days diving for pearls and waiting for the moment her freedom will be returned to her.

Things aboard the ship are far from smooth sailing, headed by a cruel Captain, who treats his young prisoners with an iron fist.

When Amaya rescues a man from drowning, she fears she may be punished by having further time added to her sentence.

Although that may be true, she's taken with this mysterious stranger wrangled from
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
Shelves: from-publisher
I've been trying to get into this book for almost a week now and can't seem to make it past page 44, so I think it's a sign that this is right book/wrong reader. Please give this one a try for yourself if the synopsis catches your interest!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Melanie

ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

Tara Sim posted these aesthetic boards on Twitter, and I am breathless.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Tucker

Many thanks to Disney Press for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

This is another one of those (quite frequent) times where it's not the book... it's me...

I went into this expecting science fiction (I don't know why. The cover pretty clearly shouts "fantasy") and did not get that. Scavenge the Stars is a steampunk fantasy which is fine for people who like that... I just down.

In generally, fantasy and I just don't get along. If it's too hard to understand or the world-building
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
We got a special edition of the book in our Jan Owlcrate. Not sure if I like it better than the original. BUT, we got the next Harry Potter mug from Cara!! Woot! And some other goodies

Mel
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I typically find books that are centered around the ocean, islands, ships, basically nautical stories in general hard to enjoy for some reason but I did enjoy this! We got to see blue lagoons, underwater reefs, hidden caves, poisonous fish, I loved the details. This is to say all of those details were during the first %30 of the book which I enjoyed the most but I began to get a little restless and bored as I continued.

This is purely a revenge story at it’s heart but there is one big confusion..
rachel ☾
this is going to be a divisive one but i had such a good time

quick thoughts :

• I just loved Cayo & Amaya with my entire body and soul
• Stabby revenge stories? Please and thank you
• Characters struggling to be Good & True when the world keeps throwing them curveballs and forcing them to make difficult choices are my favourite
• No you're crying
• Yes, the scs were a tad underdeveloped but hopefully, we'll get to explore them in the sequel??
• The world-building was also a little meh but
Julie Zantopoulos
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Actual rating 4.5 but when you give me a queer revenge plot story with two characters I super loved and got invested in...I'm all in.

Amaya and Cayo are my tortured babies. The Water Bugs have my heart forever. And the plot device of children suffering because of the actions of their parents never stops breaking my heart. There are a ton of twists and turns in this story and I was gasping and rooting for my babes at every turn. Some of them were predictable and others were not but in the end, it
Elise (TheBookishActress)
so in 2012 I watched Revenge, a reimagining of the count of monte christo, and ever since then apparently ive been awaiting this shit
Candace Robinson
I’d love to hug this cover if I could for always, but I couldn’t get into this one! I’m going to come back to it in the future and try once more, though! ...more
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
When Silverfish rescues a man from drowning, she's more concerned about gaining more debt from her act than his safety. But the man promises riches beyond her dreams—and revenge on those who wronged her and her family. Silverfish takes his vow, and transforms into the Countess Yamaa, the mysterious and fabulous newcomer set to take the city-state of Moray by storm, and bring it to its knees.

Whew. This was a mess.

I'll be honest though, the first 40% was riveting, exciting and a unique spin on The
Jessica McKenna
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I might be biased.

You see, since I was young, The Count of Monte Cristo has been one of my favorite stories. That probably says a lot about me in ways that aren't all great, but the point is, I know this tale. I know everything Tara Sim takes from it in this update, how she revamps it and how she uses it as a base.

And as a Count of Monte Cristo story...it just doesn't really work.

I don't think it works all that well as a standard YA, either.

The thing I have realized about The Count of Monte
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

This is the earliest I've ever gotten an ARC (it doesn't come out until next January!) so I was pretty excited to start reading it. Plus, it was pitched as a diverse, gender-bent retelling of Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo - which I haven't read, but I know is all about revenge and justice. A vengeful heroine? I was SO HERE for that.

Unfortunately, this book - while good - was missing the spark that would have raised it above three
Angela Staudt
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you Net Galley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

“If Amaya were water, always moving, then Cayo was a tree, planted firmly into a patch of soil called home.”

I thought the synopsis of this book sounded rather intriguing, and it did start out with a fast pace and had me compelled to keep reading. As I got farther into the book, I became more or less bored. There wasn’t much action at all and even the big “reveal” at the end was just eh.

I really did enjoy the two main characters
Sheila Goicea
Thanks so much to The Fantastic Flying Book Club for having me be a part of this blog tour!

I received a copy of this book via Disney-Hyperion via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Child labor, Child abuse, Starvation, Indentured Servitude, Gambling Addiction, On page death, Murder, Profanity, Gore
People were not designed
Lauren Stoolfire
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim is the first of a new YA fantasy duology genderbent retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo. That's one of my favorite classics, so I was quite intrigued by what Sim would do with this retelling. It never quite managed to live up to my high expectations though. What I did like was getting to know our diverse cast, Amaya (aka Silverfish) and Cayo. Everyone is really well drawn and they all feel like
Kelsea
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020-01-jan, reviewed
I am so, so grateful to Disney Hyperion for sending me a free ARC of Scavenge the Stars!

Okay, I'll admit it. I was drawn in by the cover. I knooooooow authors usually have no say in the cover and the story is written far before a cover is chosen, so it has nothing to do with the quality of the content, BUT LOOK HOW PRETTY. Just look!

Honestly, I was incredibly excited and a little nervous to start this book. YA fantasy and I have a long and complicated history. We don't always get along.

But I
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Scavenge the Stars was one of my most anticipated reads for next year so I was super excited when I was approved for a copy on Edelweiss. Also, look at how stunning this cover is. I'm obsessed. Where I had high hopes for Scavenge the Stars it kind of fell flat for me, I was severely underwhelmed and a little dissapointed. This is my first Tara Sim book so I don't have anything to compare it too, but I've heard really good things about her
Ari
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
USOM
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

TW: gambling addiction

Scavenge the Stars is a story about revenge. Were you surprised? But even more than that, Scavenge the Stars is also a story about trust and deciding just what kind of person we want to be. I adored that we are able to witness character growth and evolution not only from Amaya, but also from Cayo. We think we are defined by all these things - the cruel conditions
Kat Cho
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wbp-bookshelf
I was really lucky to read an early copy of this beautiful book! I have always been a fan of the Monte Cristo narrative, the idea that someone who was unjustly wronged, coming back after training and becoming a new person and getting revenge! I love how Tara takes that concept and kind of explores the ideas of revenge, re-inventing yourself, identity, and family. There are two wonderful main characters who have been battered by life and their circumstances. Amaya is a tough girl who's had to ...more
Austine (NovelKnight)
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
Check out the original review and more on NovelKnight!

This book was provided by the publisher for an instagram tour. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I wasn't really sure how I'd feel aboutScavenge the Stars, knowing it's a re-telling of a book I never read (The Count of Monte Cristo). I'm a re-telling "purist" — I like to read the source material first. But instead I read a synopsis of Monte Cristo,dove into this book, and ended up really loving it.

I do
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I wasn’t sure on this one in the beginning, but I ended up really enjoying it. I do hope there is a map in the finished book. I think that would have helped me a bit with the world building in the story.

Amaya was sold to a ship because of debts her father supposedly owed. These ships take children to pay for their parents crimes. They work off the money in time served and are abused and almost starved. Not all the kids survive to see their last day. Amaya was known as Silverfish on the boat. The
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
the count of monte cristo retelling!!!!! and look at this cover!!!!!!
christina
*retelling: The Count of Monte Cristo*
E.
"gender-swapped retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo"

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
anyway, we are all aware that this book has a major character who's bi, right?? okay cool just checking
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
ARC kindly provided by Disney Hyperion in exchange for an honest review.

eye-

them accepting me must've been a mistake ???/??? /

i-
Emily
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tara's a master. You should know this by now, but this book is further evidence: TARA SIM IS A GODDAMN MASTER.

• Woven in Moonlight
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Nameless Queen
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
  • The Stars We Steal
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Blood Countess
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
Tara Sim is a YA author found in the wilds of the Bay Area, California. When she's not writing about magic, clocks, and boys, she drinks tea, wrangles cats, and sings opera.

Tara grew up in California, but braved the elements of Virginia to study English/Creative Writing at Hollins University.

Half-Indian and full geek, she eats too many samosas and awkwardly dances to Bhangra music.

Scavenge the Stars (2 books)
  • Untitled (Scavenge the Stars, #2)