Start by marking “Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)

Scavenge the Stars

(Scavenge the Stars #1)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  4,931 ratings  ·  1,135 reviews
When Amaya rescues a mysterious stranger from drowning, she fears her rash actions have earned her a longer sentence on the debtor ship where she’s been held captive for years. Instead, the man she saved offers her unimaginable riches and a new identity, setting Amaya on a perilous course through the coastal city-state of Moray, where old-world opulence and desperate gambl ...more
Published January 7th 2020 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Scavenge the Stars, please sign up.
Liz V One of the main characters is bi, there's a side f/f relationship, a few mlm characters, one side character is trans (it's only briefly mentioned, tho…moreOne of the main characters is bi, there's a side f/f relationship, a few mlm characters, one side character is trans (it's only briefly mentioned, though), there's an unnamed character who shows up a few times and uses they/them pronouns, and another side character is implied to be ace (again, it's only briefly mentioned). The world doesn't seem to have any homophobia or transphobia.(less)
Big Dee I wanted the ebook. One minute it was on Amazon and the other book sellers had it and then it was gone.

·  4,931 ratings  ·  1,135 reviews

Start your review of Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
Tara ☽
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I really do keep on clowning myself by getting hyped for YA fantasies that inevitably end up being absolutely mediocre 🤡

Pre-review:

I want the girl on the cover of this to stab me
megs_bookrack ((is on vacation))
On a debtor's ship known as The Brackish, young Silverfish, whose true name is Amaya, spends her days diving for pearls and awaiting her freedom.

Life aboard the ship is far from smooth sailing, due mainly to the cruel Captain who controls his young prisoners with an iron fist.

When Amaya rescues a drowning stranger and brings him aboard, she fears her heroics may actually end up extending her sentence.

Regardless, she continues to be taken with this mysterious man wrangled from the depths and begi
jessica
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘the count of monte cristo’ is one of my all-time favourite books, so i may be a little biased when i say this retelling is wildly imaginative and spectacularly entertaining.

i really enjoyed how TS remained faithful to material, but made me feel like i was reading something entirely new. i think the best retellings subtly pay homage to the original story without it being a direct imitation, and this does exactly that. there is so much world-building, a vast array of characters and representation
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
We got a special edition of the book in our Jan Owlcrate. Not sure if I like it better than the original. BUT, we got the next Harry Potter mug from Cara!! Woot! And some other goodies

Mel
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
Shelves: from-publisher
I've been trying to get into this book for almost a week now and can't seem to make it past page 44, so I think it's a sign that this is right book/wrong reader. Please give this one a try for yourself if the synopsis catches your interest!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Disney Press for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

This is another one of those (quite frequent) times where it's not the book... it's me...

I went into this expecting science fiction (I don't know why. The cover pretty clearly shouts "fantasy") and did not get that. Scavenge the Stars is a steampunk fantasy which is fine for people who like that... I just down.

In generally, fantasy and I just don't get along. If it's too hard to understand or the world-building t
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I typically find books that are centered around the ocean, islands, ships, basically nautical stories in general hard to enjoy for some reason but I did enjoy this! We got to see blue lagoons, underwater reefs, hidden caves, poisonous fish, I loved the details. This is to say all of those details were during the first %30 of the book which I enjoyed the most but I began to get a little restless and bored as I continued.

This is purely a revenge story at it’s heart but there is one big confusion..
Jessica McKenna
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I might be biased.

You see, since I was young, The Count of Monte Cristo has been one of my favorite stories. That probably says a lot about me in ways that aren't all great, but the point is, I know this tale. I know everything Tara Sim takes from it in this update, how she revamps it and how she uses it as a base.

And as a Count of Monte Cristo story...it just doesn't really work.

I don't think it works all that well as a standard YA, either.

The thing I have realized about The Count of Monte Cris
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
When Silverfish rescues a man from drowning, she's more concerned about gaining more debt from her act than his safety. But the man promises riches beyond her dreams—and revenge on those who wronged her and her family. Silverfish takes his vow, and transforms into the Countess Yamaa, the mysterious and fabulous newcomer set to take the city-state of Moray by storm, and bring it to its knees.

Whew. This was a mess.

I'll be honest though, the first 40% was riveting, exciting and a unique spin on The
Fanna
Scavenge The Stars is a story running through a thread of revenge, chasing the bad in the society, and developing the strength to break the bad even if a string of love attaches them to you. A perfect young adult fantasy that thrives on the character arc and a retelling that greatly resembles The Count of Monte Cristo while also establishing its own aces that are worth remembering.

➝ Sum it up: fantasy retelling, secrets driving the scene, destined encounters, revenge-seeking, POC representation
rachel ☾
this is going to be a divisive one but i had such a good time

quick thoughts :

• I just loved Cayo & Amaya with my entire body and soul
• Stabby revenge stories? Please and thank you
• Characters struggling to be Good & True when the world keeps throwing them curveballs and forcing them to make difficult choices are my favourite
• No you're crying
• Yes, the scs were a tad underdeveloped but hopefully, we'll get to explore them in the sequel??
• The world-building was also a little meh but *fingers
Julie Zantopoulos
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Actual rating 4.5 but when you give me a queer revenge plot story with two characters I super loved and got invested in...I'm all in.

Amaya and Cayo are my tortured babies. The Water Bugs have my heart forever. And the plot device of children suffering because of the actions of their parents never stops breaking my heart. There are a ton of twists and turns in this story and I was gasping and rooting for my babes at every turn. Some of them were predictable and others were not but in the end, it
Lucie V.
✅ Sea adventure (at the beginning)
✅ Pace
🆗 Predictable plot
🆗 Characters
🆗 World-building
🆗 Count of Monte Cristo retelling

This story is basically a female version of The Count of Monte Cristo. Silverfish (or Amaya) was sold to a debtor's ship 7 years ago. A few days before her 7 years of forced labor on the Brackish comes to an end, she rescues a mysterious man (Boon) who was drowning. He then manages to convince her to work for him to take revenge against the man who destroyed his repu
☆she's book obsessed☆
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

This is the earliest I've ever gotten an ARC (it doesn't come out until next January!) so I was pretty excited to start reading it. Plus, it was pitched as a diverse, gender-bent retelling of Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo - which I haven't read, but I know is all about revenge and justice. A vengeful heroine? I was SO HERE for that.

Unfortunately, this book - while good - was missing the spark that would have raised it above three
Alaina
Is 2021 my year to finally knock down my TBR? Not sure but I'm loving each and every adventure that I'm going on right now. Especially when pirates are involved. Enter Scavenge the Stars. In it, you will meet Amaya, who goes by Silverfish. She spends her days diving for pearls and patiently waits for her day of freedom from 'The Brackish' and it's cruel captain.

It doesn't help that she ends up rescuing a drowning stranger right when she could and taste her freedom either. Yet, she still does th
Ambrine O.
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
3,75 ⭐️

I might have been a little too generous with this rating but I read this book at the perfect time and I really enjoyed it, my review is really based on my level of enjoyment not so much the quality because otherwise it would have been slightly lower. Anyway, like I said, I enjoyed this book, it was a quick and enjoyable read. This book’s got all the usual elements and tropes of the genre done well and I thought the author’s writing was solid, very atmospheric especially at the beginning.
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Scavenge the Stars was one of my most anticipated reads for next year so I was super excited when I was approved for a copy on Edelweiss. Also, look at how stunning this cover is. I'm obsessed. Where I had high hopes for Scavenge the Stars it kind of fell flat for me, I was severely underwhelmed and a little dissapointed. This is my first Tara Sim book so I don't have anything to compare it too, but I've heard really good things about her pre
lucie
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-english, 2020

Not bad but nothing memorable either..
Shealea
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Right from the beginning, I was reeled in. Just when I thought this story could not be more compelling, the last one-third had me staying up until 2 AM to finish this.

Full review to follow.
Sheila G
Thanks so much to The Fantastic Flying Book Club for having me be a part of this blog tour!

I received a copy of this book via Disney-Hyperion via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Child labor, Child abuse, Starvation, Indentured Servitude, Gambling Addiction, On page death, Murder, Profanity, Gore
People were not design
Katie.dorny
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
This was your typical and mostly enjoyable ya fantasy which is going to fall into every trope going. I’m calling it now.

The gender swapped nautical themed retelling follows Amaya as she goes from being enslaved on a debtor ship to becoming entangled in a plot that covers the world (or so it seems).

All the characters are your typical ya fantasy characters: the girl not too feminine but still passable as pretty, the two boys written to become the undoubtable focal points of a love triangle and ot
Carol Storm
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I started this book feeling excited. The YA Fantasy genre doesn't always work for me, but I loved the opening chapters, the Disney feel of the pirate ship, the Water Bugs, the glamorous, exotic Sun and Rain empire, the luxury and sophistication of the trading port. Best of all I really liked Amaya (alias Silverfish, alias Countess Yamaa) and I liked Cayo, the sexy but troubled son of the wealthiest merchant in town. I thought this was going to be a great YA love story with tons of adventure!

Well
Angela Staudt
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you Net Galley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

“If Amaya were water, always moving, then Cayo was a tree, planted firmly into a patch of soil called home.”

I thought the synopsis of this book sounded rather intriguing, and it did start out with a fast pace and had me compelled to keep reading. As I got farther into the book, I became more or less bored. There wasn’t much action at all and even the big “reveal” at the end was just eh.

I really did enjoy the two main characters Am
caitlin ✶
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
ahh, yes, the first major disappointment of the year

first off, i'd like to commend this book for its A++ diversity. it's own voices for both the South Asian and demisexual rep. and according to the author, the cast is all PoC and almost everyone is queer! this fantasy world also features zero homophobia. there's even a character who wears a they/them badge--and their pronouns are 100% respected!

at first, i was so sure that i was gonna rate this book 5 stars. the first chapter was amazing. but un
Lauren Stoolfire
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim is the first of a new YA fantasy duology genderbent retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo. That's one of my favorite classics, so I was quite intrigued by what Sim would do with this retelling. It never quite managed to live up to my high expectations though. What I did like was getting to know our diverse cast, Amaya (aka Silverfish) and Cayo. Everyone is really well drawn and they all feel like th
Jackie ϟ Bookseller
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Scavenge the Stars: 3.5/5 stars ★★★1/2☆
Ravage the Dark: 4/5 stars ★★★★☆

"Nothing could stay; everything was temporary. You could never trust what you have, only what you were capable of.

10/17/2020: Just did a speedy reread before starting the sequel because I remembered nothing, and my rating and review hold true: this is a fun, intelligent, multi-layered, exciting story that suffers slightly from no
Ashlee » libraryinthecountry
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was *obsessed* with The Count of Monte Cristo film that released in the early 2000s (helloooo young Henry Cavill), so when I saw this is a gender swapped retelling of that story, I knew it had to check it out! I quite enjoyed this spin on the original story, and while it stuck closely to the original story in terms of direction of the story, it still felt like something new and fresh.

I love a good revenge plot and this one does some good work to get there! I would have liked to see the world b
Taylor
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Tara Sim's book, Scavenge the Stars, but unfortunately I ultimately didn't love it as much as I was hoping to going into reading it. Usually, I'm a huge fan of stories featuring a protagonist that's embarking on a quest for revenge; but in this case, and I'm honestly not quite sure why this is, I just didn't find Scavenge the Stars as gripping and as interesting as I usually find this kind of story. Even though I didn't love this book as much as I had been hoping to, I'll probably ...more

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Slay
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Foul Is Fair
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Full Disclosure
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • The Weaver (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
See top shelves…
Tara Sim is a YA and adult fantasy author found in the wilds of the Bay Area, California. When she's not writing about magic, murder, and mayhem, she drinks tea and wrangles cats. ...more

Scavenge the Stars (2 books)
  • Ravage the Dark (Scavenge the Stars, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Are you searching for a great young adult novel to dive into? In that case, you've come to the right place. Goodreads members are pros at...