Start by marking “Growing in Godliness: A Teen Girl's Guide to Maturing in Christ” as Want to Read:
Growing in Godliness: A Teen Girl's Guide to Maturing in Christ

Growing in Godliness: A Teen Girl's Guide to Maturing in Christ

"Hands down my favorite book for teen girls."

--Rosaria Butterfield, author, The Gospel Comes with a House Key

Your teen years matter.

Of all the ways you're learning and changing during the busy teenage years, your growth in Christ is the most important. God intends to use your teen years as a launching pad into a lifelong pursuit of looking more like Jesus.

This book will he
Published May 31st 2019 by Crossway Books (first published May 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Growing in Godliness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing in Godliness

Start your review of Growing in Godliness: A Teen Girl's Guide to Maturing in Christ
Emily
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't prepared for how good this would be. Lindsey Carlson's writing is clear and accessible, yet it takes teen girls seriously as the intelligent humans they are, not talking down to them or trying too hard to be hip and relevant in those ways that inevitably fall flat. I'm always looking for resources to use with kids at church, and though I mostly work with younger kids right now, I would be happy to use this book in the right situation.

Edit: I'm back with more thoughts.
Most of the books w
Roni
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short, practical Biblical guide written specifically for Christian teenage girls on how to grow in godliness and spiritual maturity.
Tonya
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Growing in Godliness is meant for teenagers which is important to realize before digging in. The tone, the attitude it is all about being a teenager...and it is all Bible based!!!

Definitely a fun, fresh approach to growing and learning about God for teens and their parents! The best parts are that it really helps address issues that teenagers face in our current time and the thought provoking reflection questions are a huge help! I can see this a a teen Bible Study guide. There are ten lessons s
Becky
First sentence: As a child, I was always in a hurry to grow up. I wanted the privileges and freedom that came with maturity, but I didn’t want to wait through the awkward period of growing.

Don't be like me. Don't judge a book by its cover, or by its topic.

There is a part of me that thinks it is a pity that this one is limited to such a narrow scope of readers: teen girls and perhaps mothers of teen girls. For the part that just applies to being a teen girl is so very, very tiny. Most of this one
Stephanie Cassada
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this with my 13 year old daughter (P) and we both enjoyed it. She said since the author referenced school several times, she didn’t relate to those sections, but she would still give it 4.5 stars. It is geared to teen girls, but I benefited from focusing on growing in godliness as well. I will definitely reread with my other girls in the future.
Bambi Moore
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I pre-read this for my teenage daughter. Very good. On growing spiritually by the means of grace God has given.
Alison
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is an amazing book for teenage girls. I love the way she writes-she has many stories, and that makes it a lot more fun to read. It's all Bible based, with many Bible verses.
The topics she talks about are well-chosen. She talks about how we are a work-in-progress, how the Holy Spirit works in our hearts throughout our lives. She gives helpful advice like that we should admit our limitations and how we feel, submit ourselves to God. Our words and fruit can help us tell if we are growing in s
Robin
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

Raising a teen girl is not for the faint of heart. Today's world is full of challenges that previous generations never dreamt of facing. And yet, the basic foundations of life remain the same. Foremost of which is how do we live to glorify our creator? Throw in teenage emotions and peer pressure, and you're in for a wild ride.

In Growing in Godliness, Lindsey Carlson leads teens through 10 lessons that address this tumultuous time, including:

*Who we are in Christ
*God's sovereignty in all situatio
Becca-Rae Weidel
This was a wonderful read to encourage personal reflection, growth, and maturity in tween and teen girls. Through real-life examples found in both in the Bible and modern times, the author illustrates how true growth doesn't happen overnight, but time, dedication, and perseverance can really pay off. Sometimes using small examples can help understand larger truths. How do you get to know a friend? You spend time with them. If you want to get to know God better, you need to spend time with Him. H ...more
Reyna
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Girls are complex beautiful creatures, more when they are teens. I really like resources for girls, because I have one. I enjoyed the simpleness and truth shared in this book. It gives perspective and wisdom you young girls. I quote this part that I loved:
"Growing in godliness takes a lifetime. As you grow, you will be tempted to grow weary to lose sight of the goal of godliness and to wonder if God is really at work in your life at all (...) where you find death, pray for new life. Where you fi
Ashleigh Brewer
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Crossway via NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. The opinions in this review are my own.

Refreshing, accessible, and insightful!

As a youth pastor's wife and volunteer, I enjoyed reading this text. Carlson addresses many of the struggles and challenges teenage girls face in growing in their faith and a deeper relationship with Christ. Topics include sanctification, limitations, the Bible, using our words, the Church (as in community of Christ-followers), prayer, e
Dianne
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is good for all believers! Clear, excellent Biblical wisdom on growing in godliness; growing toward holiness.

Specifically tailored to teenage girls, the examples and questions to the author poses directly to the reader are meaningful and relevant.

This book is straightforward and simple to read, And very clear on application to life. As a mom with a teenage daughter, I could relate to every single chapter in this book, and truly appreciate the wisdom, clarity, and help that this book wi
Laura Weir
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book can be foundational for teen girls learning what it means to follow Christ. The author does a great job connecting theology to real life. Example: I keep thinking about her chapter on God's sovereignty and goodness, where she points out that being discontent with our bodies is saying God shouldn't have made us the way He did instead of trusting that He does what is best. She talks about why Scripture, prayer, and church are important; what the purpose of life is; the role of our feelin ...more
Aminata Coote
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had a lot to teach about how to grow in godliness. It broke down the concept of godliness by explaining what it was and giving concrete, easy-to-follow ways that one can learn to pursue God. It also includes a section to guide the readers in understanding if growth has taken place or not. Read my full review: https://www.hebrews12endurance.com/ho...

I received a copy of this book as part of Crossway’s Blog Review Program; a positive review was not required.
Christy Mabs
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There’s nothing too flashy about this book, but it is chalk full of solid biblical content about growing in Christ. The format is excellent for small group use and the topics are easily adaptable to discuss real life scenarios and application. Looking forward to using this resource in my local church this year!
Kirsten
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Used this in a book study with the teen girls of our church and we all found it helpful for our growth in godliness (including us older gals). I really appreciate the thorough use of Scripture and the helpful exercises after every chapter, which apply the lesson through Scripture memorization, prayer, accountability, and godly mentorship.
Karla Osorno
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, non-fiction
Before handing this off to my almost 13 year old daughter I wanted to read it. What a privilege! It is wonderful - even for 50’year old moms. Relevant. Biblical. Engaging. Praying that more teen girls will be interested in the book and subsequently blessed by the content. May they grow in godliness and engagement with scripture, prayer and the church as God matures them.
Jaime Wolter
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book myself and then went through it with my teen girls. It is very helpful. I found myself thinking every woman in the church ought to read this. It is an easy read for teenagers, though. It has a greater impact with discussion.
Michaela Hobi
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple, practical book for teen girls.
Bree Miedema
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Its a really encouraging book and the author's writing was very good. ...more
Erin
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book explaining what it means to grow in godliness to teenage girls. I will be recommending it to my daughters as well as to the teens at church.
Sydney Kaye

• Identity Theft: Reclaiming the Truth of our Identity in Christ
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
  • What Is the Gospel?
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • The Case for Miracles for Kids
  • The Case for Grace for Kids (Case for… Series for Kids)
  • Snape: A Definitive Reading
  • Uprooting Anger, Biblical Help for a Common Problem
  • Down, But Not Out: How to Get Up When Life Knocks You Down
  • So What's the Difference?: A Look at 20 Worldviews, Faiths and Religions and How They Compare to Christianity
  • The Case for Christ for Kids Curriculum
  • Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem
  • Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World
Lindsey Carlson is the mother of five children and has served alongside her husband in pastoral ministry for fourteen years, currently at Imprint Community Church in Baltimore, Maryland. She enjoys teaching and discipling women through writing and public speaking, but most often through the context of the local church.