Start by marking “The Rest of the Story” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  18,300 ratings  ·  2,537 reviews
Emma Saylor doesn’t remember a lot about her mother, who died when she was ten. But she does remember the stories her mom told her about the big lake that went on forever, with cold, clear water and mossy trees at the edges.

Now it’s just Emma and her dad, and life is good, if a little predictable…until Emma is unexpectedly sent to spend the summer with her mother’s family—
Published June 4th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Rest of the Story, please sign up.
Chantal The Epilogue was great closure! You learn about Ryan and Liz, Emma Saylor and Roo. You know Trinity has had the baby and you get an update on Emma Say…moreThe Epilogue was great closure! You learn about Ryan and Liz, Emma Saylor and Roo. You know Trinity has had the baby and you get an update on Emma Saylor's driving adventures. It's fun and needed closure for the book.(less)

·  18,300 ratings  ·  2,537 reviews

Start your review of The Rest of the Story
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
If you'll all excuse me, I'll be over here, being Sarah Dessen trash for my whole entire life
jessica
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
what can i say about a sarah dessen novel that i havent already said before? nothing, because she is the queen of consistency. i could literally copy and paste my review from any of her other books and it would apply to this one.

i love how her stories are always so family focused. there is no perfect family - each come in different shapes, sizes, and situations - and i love how this story represents that with saylor getting to know her distant relatives.

i also really enjoy how SD tackles hard
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so very quintessential Sarah Dessen. If you like her books, I can't imagine you won't like this one. If you're not a fan, I doubt this would be the one that would make you fall in love. It was a fun time, but very middle of the road.
Kristen
Oct 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
6/30/19 - Wow! My very first DNF of a Dessen book. I never thought I'd live to see the day. There wasn't anything bad about this book that turned me off it was just very, very, VERY (did I mention very) slow paced. If you are looking for something fun, fast-paced and excited, this is not the book for you. If, however, you want something that is heavily character oriented and takes its time building up to the action, you will probably love this. This is the kind of book that you have to be in the ...more
Larry H
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been a huge YA reader for some time now, and as I have selected books through the years, I've seen Sarah Dessen's name pop up. For some reason I had never read any of her books, although she certainly had been named as an author worth reading. So when her newest book, The Rest of the Story , was released, I figured it was time I remedied my unfamiliarity with Dessen's work.

WTF have I been waiting for? All I know is, if her other books are as good as this one, I am seriously going to have
emma
Well, this is a weird time to review a Sarah Dessen book.

But if you’re here in the hopes of getting a Hot Take on the recent Twitter drama, you’re in for a sorry surprise. Because one, I rated this book this way three months ago (yes I’m three months behind on reviews leave me alone), and two, if I commented on every piece of drama that occurs on book Twitter I’d never write a book again.

Mostly because there’s a major backlog in the first place, but still.

I tend to find Sarah Dessen books meh, w
sarah xoxo
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not going to lie, the sole reason I picked up this audiobook was because Rebecca Soler was the narrator and she’s my audiobook queen.

However, what kept me reading was Sarah Dessens addictive writing style. Anything she writes, I will fly through.

My current ranked Sarah Dessen list

1. Just listen
2. Saint anything
3. The rest of the story
4. Along for the ride
5. Once and for all

This book was simply quintessential Sarah Dessen. If you have enjoyed her other stuff, you’ll like this. If not... t
ellie
May 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
the day sarah dessen writes a gay book, my heart will finally be satisfied
Arlene
You can make life, or life can make you…

The Rest of the Story, by Sarah Dessen, will likely land as one of my favorite reads this year. That’s a bold statement because we haven’t even hit the mid-year mark, and I’ve read over 50 books. However, as my reading buddies can attest to, it hasn’t been a good year. So, thank you Dessen for coming out with a story I can fall right into and feel like I’m walking alongside family and friends. This is such a great book because Dessen does what she’s best a
Kath
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably more of a 4 star book overall but I had to bump it up to 5 because it made me so damn happy while I was reading it.

Listen, Sarah Dessen is the queen of teen for a reason - she writes solid books. I've probably read all of them and while I didn't love all of them, I at least enjoyed them while I was reading.

But this one.

I don't think I've liked a Sarah Dessen book this much since I read Lock & Key for the first time. And it wasn't just because Emma had major anxiety associated with drivi
Tatiana
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: read Just Mercy
Lukewarm, tepid, dull, safe.

This is my second Dessen novel. I've read another one 10 years ago and vowed never to read any more of her books. But, again, book club made me do it. My opinion about both books is the same. Both are YA versions of low-stakes women's fiction, and definitely not my cup of Hallmark-grade cheese.

I didn't hate The Rest of the Story. In fact, I don't have any strong feelings about it. Because this novel itself doesn't have any strong feelings in it. I need some drama, so
K. Elizabeth
My second book by Sarah Dessen and yet another 3-star rating. I think, if anything, I’ll only pick another book of hers if I have absolutely nothing else to read — that, or if I’m on the beach somewhere. Her books are that sort: warm and cozy, sometimes a little dull, nostalgic, and common.

The Rest of the Story follows Emma Saylor who goes by both Emma and Saylor. Emma is her back home and Saylor is her on the lake. It’s a big thing in the story, given nearly every chapter she’s asking herself i
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

The Rest of the Story by Sarah Dessen is a book that I had been eagerly anticipating as I am a big fan of her realistic contemporaries. This one has an interesting setting as well as a realistic main character, albeit the plot is quite slow paced. Even so, I really enjoyed this one, and it is classic Sarah Dessen.

This book tells the story of a girl who finds herself in her mother’s hometown for the summer. The town is divided in two: North Lake and the upper-class
Susan
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Sarah Dessen

It's no secret that I'm 56 years old and love to read young adult stories! Sarah Dessen was one of the first YA authors I felt a connection to with her characters. THE REST OF THE STORY is not the first book I've ever read by Sarah Dessen and it definitely won't be the last. The twists and turns keep coming and I had to know how it was going to end! Every time I thought I knew where this story was going, a few pages later, Ms. Dessen threw me for a loop and I kne
Kat
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-3
Emma is supposed to stay with her best friend for the summer while her dad (newly remarried) goes on his honeymoon. But due to a family emergency, she gets shipped off to stay in a tourist town on the lake with a grandmother she hasn’t seen since she was four.

Loved the detailed descriptions of summer, the us versus them tension of the working-class kids versus the rich vacationers, and the feels as Emma tries to discover more about her roots. Great beach read.

Please excuse typos/name misspelli
Fares
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This was just another Saint Anything!
Okay TBH I don't remember a lot about SA but that's kinda my point cuz I'm sure if you ask me about this in a couple of months I won't remember much either.
But here's why I say it's just another Saint Anything, a girl is kinda perfect and follows the rules, has an uptight parent, hangs with friends who drink but she doesn't, and her parent doesn't approve.
This had more family and grief in it, even dealt with addiction in a small way but still at the core it r
Mackenzie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Song for summary: Coming Home by Dirty Money

An uplifting read! The characters are endearing, playful, and welcoming while the plot is a nostalgic journey about discovering one's family and the history that comes with it. A beautiful and heartfelt story, Sarah Dessen delivers another stunning YA novel full of family chaos, bittersweet memories, tender moments, and one close-knit community. Readers will remember the animated residents of North Lake long after the last page of Emma Saylor's unforg
The Nerd Daily
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Teralyn Mitchell

I’ve been a big fan of Sarah Dessen for years now so I was happy that I got the chance to read The Rest of the Story and it was the perfect summer read. It takes place on a lake in the summer, surrounded by family. It’s a coming-of-age story for Emma Saylor who has always been neurotic and cautions about everything and it seemed to escalate after her mother died. She never knew her mother’s side of the family since she hadn’t see
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

3.5 Stars

For me, Sarah Dessen is synonymous with summer. The woman showcases the season on the pages of her books perfectly. And I’m not just talking about the sun, sand, and water. It’s more than that. A Dessen read captures that bright, epic feeling of freedom summer can bring. The feeling that anything can happen. Plus the changes it brings. Summer can mean changes in scenery, routine, and people that surround us every day. Summer can change everything!

Emma Saylor lost her mother as a child,
Christy
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dear Sarah Dessen,

For the last twelve years you have held my heart in your hands. You've broken it, and mended it again with the stories you weave together. Thank you for introducing me to Saylor and Roo, the pair whose lives were always intertwined and destined to be. If you're looking for the perfect summer love pick this book up, get a glass of sweet tea ready, and settle yourself in your favorite porch chair.
Janine
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Sarah Dessen, I really do. But also -- it's possible I might finally be outgrowing her somehow? Which is a weird thing to say about a YA author who I didn't even encounter for the first time until I was an adult.

This book was tricky. I loved it initially. I really liked Emma Saylor as a character, and enjoyed experiencing North Lake and Lake North with her. Navigating the different sides of the lake and all of the family there that she never really knew she had. I found the Calvanders in
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
It's always a good idea to read one of Sarah Dessen's books. They always bring a smile to my face and make me feel like everything will be okay.

One of the things Dessen excels in is writing about different family dynamics. I kind of wish we got to find out more about the family members because I was more invested into that storyline. Romance was...you know...predictable.
✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile
3.5/5 stars

This was a fun and entertaining coming-of-age story filled with family, friends and finding yourself.The Rest of the Story follows Emma Saylor as she reconnects with her estrange relatives from her mother's side, and navigates the tight-knit community of North Lake. An unplanned vacation with family she never knew she had may just be what she needs to rekindle the memories of her mother and find the courage to be the driver in her life.

First off, I had a great time listening to the s
may ❀
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
so, i generally feel this way about almost all Sarah Dessen book. they're the fun, feel-good, picke-me-up kind of books that you can read and immerse yourself into and get exactly what you expect

there's a plain main character who goes on some sort of adventure and makes new friends and learns new things and then has to face a Big Bad Test and it's hard and takes a lot out of her, but once she overcomes the Big Bad Test and gets a personality along the way, everything falls into place and happily
Mackenzie Lane
What a charming book!

Very standard, quintessential Sarah Dessen. Definitely focuses more on the characters than anything else, which I always like! It’s a slower moving story, but I enjoyed getting to know Emma Saylor’s extended family & the differences between North Lake and Lake North.

Despite a couple plot inconsistencies, I definitely liked this book more than her last novel, Once and For All, which depicted one of the worst cases of instalove I’ve ever had to bear witness to 🥴. But the lov
Jen Ryland
Aw, loved this. Classic Dessen featuring some of her most beloved and familiar themes and a new setting - if you want my complete break-down, check out my review here on Jen Ryland Reviews!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram!
Shannon (leaninglights)
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really good and perfect for summer. In the vain of past Dessen books, this one did not disappoint! I’d give it a 4.5!
Rahma Abdelrahman
June 26, 2019
First of all, let me start by stating how awkward it feels to be writing a review for this book after meeting the author, especially that it was my first time meeting any author. It also means I'm probably biased, considering how Sarah Dessen has been my all-time favourite author for years.

Now that that's out of the way, let me get to the review.

The Rest of the Story is about Emma Saylor whose father goes on a trip to Greece with his new bride. After her original plan to stay with h
Kelly
Definitely among my favorite of Dessen's books. It is a little different in the sense it feels especially personal and explores life outside of one's previously-understood sense of self and place in the world. Emma Saylor's mother died of an opioid overdose and she's lived with her father since she was young. When her dad remarries and plans for Emma to stay with her best friend during his honeymoon falls through, she stays with the grandmother from her mother's side she only has ever met once. ...more
Obsidian
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a great book by Dessen. I do enjoy her Young Adult books though the last couple I have read have been misses with me. This one is expertly written, but some things as the time line shifting back and forth and the mess with Saylor's father prevented me from giving it five stars. I really enjoyed this one and hope that we see more from characters that she introduced to us in this one.

"The Rest of the Story" follows 17 year old Emma Saylor. Emma is excited that her father has remarried to

• Maybe This Time
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Tweet Cute
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Serious Moonlight
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Call It What You Want
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss (Love, Life, and the List, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“Life is big and huge and scary. But you have to go and take your part of it. There’s a reason the saying is ‘Seize the day,’ not ‘Wait for it to come along at some point.” 22 likes
“You can make your life, or life can make you. Was it really that simple of a choice?” 16 likes