Start by marking “Honeybee: The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera” as Want to Read:
Honeybee: The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera

Honeybee: The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera

Get up close and personal with Apis, one honeybee, as she embarks on her journey through life, complete with exquisitely detailed illustrations.

Beginning at birth, the honeybee emerges through the wax cap of her cell and is driven to protect and take care of her hive. She cleans the nursery and feeds the larvae and the queen. But is she strong enough to fly? Not yet!

She
Published February 4th 2020 by Neal Porter Books

To ask other readers questions about Honeybee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honeybee

Start your review of Honeybee: The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera
Betsy
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I dont teach classes on how to write childrens books. I imagine that doing such a thing would be enormously challenging and rewarding, depending on the people involved. Still, that doesnt stop me from sometimes coming up with a list of writing rules for my class of imaginary students. And as I found myself reading Honeybee: The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera I found myself coming up with an entirely new rule I'd never thought of before: No subject has ever truly been done to death. I mean it. ...more
Laura Harrison
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wonder how many fiction and non-fiction books created for children were produced in the last 50 years. Dozens? Hundreds? Honeybees are quite the favorite subject. This title is something entirely unique. It is 100% non-fiction with the most glorious, detailed illustrations of honeybees you have ever seen. Plus it is fascinating and fun. Kudos to Candace Fleming and Eric Rohmann. A perfect author/illustrator collaboration. You guys nailed it.
Julie Hedlund
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It never ceases to amaze me much I learn about the common creatures I've taken for granted all my life when I open a spectacular picture book such as this one. It is stunning in every way, and does justice to the hardworking honeybee.
Margie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the life of a single being is so glorious, it takes your breath away. The more you know about the days of their life, the more your admiration and respect increases. You realize every moment of the hours of their existence is orchestrated for a greater good. It's about survival not only for them, but for every other living being.

As humans, the more we take notice of the value of these beings, the better able we are to protect and preserve their place in our natural world. Upon the
Linda
I thought I knew quite a lot about bees until I read this new book about "The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera". Candace Fleming takes us readers along with young Apis as she begins her life, as she "squirms, pushes, chews" out of her solitary cell, ready to begin life like thousands of others in the hive.
Does she dry off and fly out to start gathering nectar, becoming coated with pollen? It's a resounding "NO" from Candice as young Apis has other jobs to do before ever seeing the light of day!
Ms. Meghan
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honeybee follows 'Apis', beginning with her chewing her way out of a wax cell 'and into a teeming, trembling flurry. Hummmmm!' We see how she interacts with her sisters, and works seven different jobs in the hive. Gathering nectar is only the last stage in her life. She also cleans the hive, takes care of the larvae and the queen, and more. In her short life, she'll fly 500 miles and visit 30,000 flowers.

This wonderful book is illustrated with superb oil paintings detailing all aspects of
Lynn
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant in every way! Fleming's free verse text informs as much as it tells a captivating story of the astonishing 35 day life-cycle of a honeybee. Eric Rohmann's illustrations inform as well but are also a visual treasure, beginning in the darkness of the hive and soaring through a stellar gatefold to our bee's first flight. Absolutely gorgeous!

I learned SO much about a subject I thought I knew about and the learning experience was a pleasure from first page to last. I was awed by the facts
Maria Marshall
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent example of an author/illustrator collaboration that makes nonfiction fun. One that makes a honeybee matter to the reader. It puts the child in "the bee's wings," as it were, and encourages them to experience the short, important life of a honeybee.
Candace Fleming is a master at creating beautifully lyrical, poetic nonfiction. Top that off with the amazing, artistic ability of Eric Rohmann and you have a scientific, and yet very relatable, heart-felt ode to the
Cindy Dobrez
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous book--text and illustrations. The honeybee accomplishes so much in its short 35-day life. Can you imagine flying 500 miles in 10 days to visit 30,000 flowers to collect the nectar for 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey? Clear information about the life cycle of the honeybee is supplemented with great back matter to continue the learning. Fleming's text and Rohmann's fabulous paintings pair beautifully in this follow-up to Giant Squid. I heard at ALA that polar bears are next...can't wait!
Mary
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book is a biography of the life of a honeybee. It begins with the bee chewing her way out of her wax cell and follows her activities through the days of her amazingly busy life. Detailed illustrations and accessible yet informative text combine to inform and inspire awe. Back matter includes a large diagram of the honeybee body, as well as more "buzz" about how to help their declining populations.
Use in animal research, and as supplemental/devotional material for the study of the
Kate
Another fantastic collaboration between Fleming and Rohman. Filled with facts shared in an engaging narrative and accompanied by realistic and beautiful oil paintings, including a gorgeous foldout. Start at the very beginning of the book, before the title page in order to see the emergence of a new bee. At the end, youre sad about the bees death but the next page shows the cycle beginning again with a new honeybee. Lastly, I love the back matter with the anatomy of a bee, helping honeybees and ...more
Kelly
Feb 14, 2020 added it
Shelves: animals, 2020
Well done, right? Currently a 4.89 rating, wow. Great information, presumably correct, interesting way to wait for the flying. The flying spread was really underwhelming for me. Could we have gotten some colors of dawn or something in there to make it prettier? Or shown more bees flying? I think this book is hard to make amazing because you're just showing bees over and over. It's just a lot of bees. Look, does Eric Rohmann do a gorgeous job with the illustrations, yes absolutely, but just bees ...more
Kathy
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing art that centers very closely on the bees, poetic language that even generates tension (will the bee fly yet?) until a fold-out page climax (It flies!) while also being factually correct. The narrative follows one bee through it's life cycle and various jobs, and when it dies goes back to the hive for the birth of another bee. An afterword gives lots more facts about bees, their bodies, and how to help them
Sharon Lawler
Candace Fleming and illustrator Eric Rohmann have created the perfect picture book to describe the life cycle of the honeybee, and their undeniable importance for our food supply. Carefully worded text takes the reader on a step by step journey through the bee's short but industrious 35 day life. Oil paint on paper were used for the illustrations, some being double spread. This is a glorious book for all to enjoy.
Ann Haefele
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great narrative nonfiction book where I learned so much about honeybees. Focuses on the life from birth to death of one honeybee. Who knew a honeybee had so many different jobs in their approximate one month of life? The illustrations are gorgeous and perfectly complement the text. Lots of honeybee facts are at the end of the narrative.
Brian Wilson
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! I talk about it on my blog: https://mrbrianspicturebookpicks.word...
Ames Public Library Youth Services
The beautiful illustrations and text work together to share the life of a honeybee. And when the title says busy, it does not lie! This is a great work of nonfiction that taught me a lot and can be used for all ages.

-dmz
Robin
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This large picture book with impressively scaled and detailed oil paintings takes you through the life of one bee. Reads aloud well and is chock-full of good science info (including great back matter). Highly recommended for ages 5-8.
Amy
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated book that showcases the life of a worker bee. I definitely do not want to be reincarnated as a honeybee (although they only live roughly 35 days). They work too hard!
Lisa
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, wonderful illustration, grades 2 and up
Eija
Absolutely incredible words, illustrations, everything. ...more
Debrarian
Lovely, informative, somewhat poignant.
Linda
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
interesting and gorgeous illustrations. The amazing duo of Fleming and Rohmann don't disappoint.

Mary
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations describe the life of one honeybee.
Amanda
Loved the bee facts at the end the best. Reading and seeing Apis' end was strangely sad. Big beautiful pictures in a book that was a little long.
DaNae
Another stunning contribution by one of the power couples in Children's books. Never thought I'd shed tears at the end of an insect biography.
Jo
Feb 19, 2020 added it
Very interesting... especially the A Bit More Buzz section where it discusses how great a honeybees sense of smell is. ...more
Lisa D
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book ! This should win awards! Amazing book about honeybees!
Ilse O'Brien
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Siberia contender for sure!
Heidi
As in their award winning book Giant Squid, Fleming and Rohmann have created a fascinating book about an animal. This time the focus is on the rapidly disappearing honeybee. The book takes the reader on a journey with a honeybee from birth to death. Fleming's amazing flowing free verse poetry shows how a young female honeybee grows and develops and moves from job to job until finally flying away to gather nectar. Rohmann's stunning illustrations are so large and detailed you can even see the ...more

• Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Home in the Woods
  • In a Jar
  • Swim Swim Sink
  • Overground Railroad
I have always been a storyteller. Even before I could write my name, I could tell a good tale. And I told them all the time. As a preschooler, I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. In kindergarten, I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. And in first grade I told my teacher, Miss Harbart, all about my family's trip to Paris, France.

I told such a good