Start by marking “Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well” as Want to Read:
Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well

Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well

Move from running-on-empty to spent-and-content.

Exhale
is for the woman who is suffocating under the pressures of being all things to all people. The pressure of filling every unfilled spot at church, home, and work. The pressure of trying to do it all right, make decisions that benefit everyone else, and keep everyone happy.

Rather than adding more to your to-do list, in t
Published June 4th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Exhale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exhale

Start your review of Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well
Karen Wingate
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
My daughter gave me Exhale for my birthday. It sounded like a wonderful book because I struggle as a pastor's wife to be all things to all people. There is one major problem and it's not the fault of the authors. The print in the paperback is so small and so light, I can't read it. I recognize that I have a vision problem which is already restrictive but this book seems worse than usual. My daughter gave me another book for my birthday which is about the same size of book and its print is much m ...more
Virginia Campbell
"Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well" is designed to help readers create a release valve to let loose the tightening squeeze of everyday life pressures. Authors Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory have created a process of evaluation, enlightenment, and emancipation to help you manage the larger issues without sweating the small stuff. For someone like me, who has long felt compelled to achieve every personal and professional goal--or else feel like a failure--this b ...more
For almost 1.5 years, I was privileged to serve as the graphic design intern for Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory’s Grit n Grace Girls podcast. Since they invested so much in me, I was happy to be on the manuscript development team for Exhale, their first collaborative writing project.

Amy and Cheri take turns, every other chapter, telling their stories of struggles with perfectionism, comparison, meddling and relationship issues. They also use a key Bible story in each chapter that shows us how we
Katie M.  Reid
Carroll and Gregory pour out hard-won wisdom like a balm for dependable women. Through candid stories, pivotal observations, and ah-ha moments, Exhale delivers clarity and assurance. Breathe deeply of God's love and walk confidently, with purpose, as you interact with this gold-mine of goodness.
Lydia Howe
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
WHY I CHOOSE THIS BOOK

Overall I’d say I’m good at telling people no. But, that only applies to people who I feel ‘equal’ to – my peers, etc… When it comes to my bosses, managers, or pretty much anyone in a position of authority, I have an overwhelming desire to do any and everything I can to please them.

Thankfully I work with a great team who actually cares about me and looks out for my best interests, but I figured I should probably start curbing my management-pleasing-side now. After all, it’s
Christen Fox
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exhale: Lose who you’re not. Love who you are. Live your one life well. by Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory was the splash of cold water my soul needed to awaken from its state of overcommittedness (is that a word??? ☺ ) in order to be refreshed by the lightening of nothingness.

Friends, true to its title, Exhale is like one big release. It’s like finally taking a moment to pause and intentionally inhale a deep breath in, in order to exhale all of the weight, baggage, stress, etc out of your body.
Vicki
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cheri and Amy invite you to breath and begin again. Exhale was written from the perspective of two people who have gone through the process of losing who you are not, loving who you are, and living one life well and shared the path they took with the rest of us.
Exhale is full of insight from life and scriptures and written for you. Each section of the book guides you in the process of changing your mindset to live a fuller life. Part one guides you to release ways of thinking that hinder you, p
Sarah Poling
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: launch
This book's subtitle is: lose who you're not, love who you are, live your one life well.

The book is divided into these three categories and it works. I read lots of spiritual growth/self help christian books, and this one stands out. The biggest difference is that this book addresses our mindset, and directly encourages us to change our mindset. But instead of describing a fixed versus growth mindset, as the world does. The authors choose to suggest we have a new mindset. And I see that new min
Bethany
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read the subtitle for this book: "Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your Own Life Well", I knew that the message of this book would timely for me, and I was right. I was sucked in from the moment that I read the first sentences of the introduction: "It's 2:37 a.m., and she's wide awake. Again. Her busy brain is rehearsing everything she didn't get done today. All the things she's got to do tomorrow (which, she realizes with a new jolt of anxiety, is now technically today)." I re ...more
Barbara Sousa
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exhale: Lose Who You’re Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well is like a breath of fresh air. And as an (often) overcommitted perfectionist, this book really spoke to me. Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory urge us to live our lives well by releasing those self-images and preconceived notions that hold us back and embracing fully our God-given gifts and accepting who we are. They ask us to cast aside the labels that have defined you – be it your role in life (wife, mother, daughter), occupatio ...more
Amy Langmaack
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2019
As we’ve finally settled into life post-move and unpacking all the boxes, I find myself feeling like I should be able to run around at full capacity. And yet, I find myself struggling to keep up. I ran so hard for so long, and now I need some space to be able to recharge my batteries so to speak and breathe. I need to exhale.

The truth is, we can’t be all things to all people. We must learn to discern who we truly are, love who we are created to be and then live our lives in a way that matters.

In
Marvy Herrera
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from Bethany House via NetGalley, this review is my personal opinion.

With an honest and very fresh approach to deep situations of the heart and character this book, which is divided into three parts more than a book in my case it feels like an ongoing journey. I must say that Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregori both of them did a great job.

Book parts:

1- Loose who you are not, and I must say It was eye-opening to see the truth about so many things. And how Jesus is in the
Cheri
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Take a deep breath and exhale all that you are not so you can enjoy all that you are!

This book being released as you start the summer is perfect timing! You can reboot your thought processes and allow yourself the freedom to love who you are! I had so many AH HA moments as I read.
Cheri and Amy are such a cohesive and dynamic duo! Their writing style and perspectives are a rhythmical pattern. They lay the groundwork as well as provide the tools you need to build on.

An area that really helped me w
Kristen
Note: I received a copy of Exhale from the Publisher in return for my honest opinion.

Wow! By the end of reading Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well by Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory, I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I admit it took me a few chapters to really get the feel of the book but by the end of Exhale, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and found it to be very helpful.

The entire book is set up in a very similar manner - with 3 parts, each cha
Kendra
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
If you're exhausted (and let's face it, maybe even a little grumpy) from trying to be all things to all people, this book is for you. While many books today should be renamed, You Can Do All The Things!!!, Exhale is the antidote to that mentality.

Co-authors Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory use Bible stories to remind us that not only CAN'T we do all the things, God never intended for us to in the first place!

Instead of showing us how to be all that we can be, they show us how to be all that we’re m
Brianna
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

As a mom, wife and daughter I feel over the years I’ve lost who I was. This book spoke to me helping me to work on me. over time we become people we aren’t and lets face it, loving ourselves is hard (or at least for me it is). This book brought in Jesus’ story of the woman at the well. In the book it talks about how everyday this woman carries her jug to the well. Her jug represents all the baggage we all carry daily. But after she meets Jesus she leaves her jug and runs to tell others. How libe
Bonnie Plante
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever feel as though the weight of the world is on your shoulders? That everyone is depending on you and you alone? That if you don't do "it" whatever it is absolutely won't get done? If so, this is the book for you. Amy Carroll & Cheri Gregory walk the reader through how to "Lose What You're Not," "Love Who You Are" and "Live Your One Life Well." With plenty of personal anecdotes, loads of scriptural references and even a bit of science this book is, entertaining, educational and enlighte ...more
Leigh
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Over the course of our lives, we tend to collect a list of ideas about what we “should be doing” or what we “have to do.” Often, these lists leave us worn down and longing for space to breathe. Exhale is the book that shows you how to find that space.

Its authors, Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory, use candid illustrations describing their own experiences with being worn out and how they found freedom. Now, it’s clear they are on a mission to help others walk in that freedom, too.

Exhale is comprise
Michelle VanHaitsma
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy & Cheri's book looks at common issues we have as women - being over committed, being afraid of making mistakes, being vulnerable, and trying to be everything for everyone. This book really helped me examine how I do that in my life and to replace that with recognizing who God made me to be and the life He created me to live. I have three daughters and I can see them already falling into those struggles. This book has encouraged me to call it out when I see it and discuss with my daughters th ...more
Caitlin (CMAReads)
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Bethany House for the free review copy. All opinions are my own.

What a joy this book was to work through this past month. I intentionally read it slowly to work through the process of losing, loving, and living. I think that the chapters written from two different people added much depth to the overall message. While these women are similar, there are also many differences, and I found that I could relate to different parts of their struggles and triumphs.

I think that the three dist
Nolyn Whitaker
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
To be honest, I wasn’t very sure if I would enjoy this book when I started reading it because I tend not to like books where the author changes from chapter to chapter (a change in the “voice” of the writer), but the book evolved nicely between the chapters and parts. Each chapter reads in a way that it could stand alone, so if you have to stop between chapters, it’s easy to pick up where you left off without feeling lost.

The message was a powerful one for people like me who try to be all thing
Heather
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had really been looking forward to reading this book, and it did not disappoint! Seeing the title and hearing what it was about, I figured it would be a really good message, and it was. Doing the “right” thing, but for the wrong reasons, is not what we’re made to do. God made us to have a specific purpose, and we are supposed to do that even if it means not blending in with what everyone else is doing.
I read this over a couple days, because it was very good and hard to put down! The writing i
Susan Daugherty
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first words of the introduction, I was certain the authors knew the feelings and internal struggles I was having - even the fact that I have difficulty sleeping at night!

In the conversational tone of friends who understand, Amy and Cheri outline a process to "move from running-on-empty to spent and content." They understand women who take on far too much responsibility for others, leading us to say far too many "yes"s.

Step by step, they lovingly show us how to let go of roles that don't
Angela Baughman
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I most appreciated about this book was the willingness of the authors to share their own struggles. The book isn't written from a perspective of looking back on what once was because now they have total victory. It is written in a way that shares what they've learned and overcome, but also what they still deal with daily as they journey with Jesus. Their openness about how they are learning to accept themselves invited me to take a closer look at places I struggle to accept myself and how t ...more
Lynnette
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital advance copy of this book to read as part of the launch team.
Authors Cheri Gregory and Amy Carroll bravely allow their readers to "look behind the curtain" at their own messy lives and show us through their foibles and misunderstandings what corrections we may need to make in our own lives. In each chapter they present a story from Scripture and relate it to modern day life, showing us how we can learn from the Biblical past how to live our lives well today.
Ivy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for giving women permission around the world to simply exhale. We aren’t meant to be all and everything for everyone. But, we are meant to serve Him with the calling and talents he’s given us. It’s ok to take a step back and reassess each item on our to do list.

“As it turns out, letting go of a dead dream can be an enormous relief.”

I received a free digital copy of this manuscript. :)
victoria
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had an amazing writing and compelling to read with that also will had a great story that will give you a hope and comfortable to have a life the way you should be living, to be good and doing good thing that came from your real heart and not to try to make yourself small to be fit in or convenient for everyone. I highly recommend to everyone must to read this book. “ I received complimentary a copy of this book from Bethany House for this review”.
Sandy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s not an easy world, with all of the noise and distraction, to discern where God is calling you. The world can be demanding, inviting you to buy into the “lie” that you have to be who other people think you should be. This wonderful book truly lives up to the title: “Exhale: Lose Who You’re Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well.” Not a book to be devoured in a short time, but better savored, pondered, internalized, re-visited.
Brooke Fradd
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I appreciated hearing about the topic from two different personalities, it helps remind us that while no two stories are the same, many of us share the common struggle.

I also learned about the square method of breathing for anxiety - exactly when I needed it for dealing with panic related to a phobia. Love a practical tool!!!!
Tonya Kubo
I need to read this book a few more times to make sure it really sinks in. The idea that I'm loved for who I am vs. what I do is one I need to better internalize.
This book truly is a breath of fresh air. It's been a joy to work through it and I appreciate the practical approach at biblical application.

• Ready for Anything: Preparing Your Heart and Home for Any Crisis Big or Small
  • Sensitive and Strong: A Guide for Highly Sensitive Persons and Those Who Love Them
  • Breathe Again: How to Live Well When Life Falls Apart
  • You're Already Amazing: Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be
  • Relentless: The Unshakeable Presence of a God Who Never Leaves
  • Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
  • The Clutter-Free Home: Making Room for Your Life
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • Take Back Your Time: Identify Your Priorities, Decrease Stress, and Increase Productivity
  • The Middle Matters: Why That (Extra)Ordinary Life Looks Really Good on You
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe
  • Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Hope Your Heart Needs: 52 Encouraging Reminders of How God Cares for You
  • Home for Erring and Outcast Girls
  • In Search Of Us
  • Own Your Everyday:  Overcome the Pressure to Prove and Show Up for What You're Made to Do
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
Amy Carroll’s passion is leading women to deeper delight through the matchless pleasure of rich relationship with God and others. For over 10 years, she has shared messages that enable you to:

• Release the grind of perfection and grasp the joy of living in God’s incomparable love.
• Celebrate the full satisfaction found in moving to deeper relationships.
• Invest yourself in what truly fills instead