Start by marking “Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well” as Want to Read:
Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well

Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well

Move from running-on-empty to spent-and-content.

Exhale is for the woman who is suffocating under the pressures of being all things to all people. The pressure of filling every unfilled spot at church, home, and work. The pressure of trying to do it all right, make decisions that benefit everyone else, and keep everyone happy.

Rather than adding more to your to-do list, in
Published June 4th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Exhale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exhale

Virginia Campbell
"Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well" is designed to help readers create a release valve to let loose the tightening squeeze of everyday life pressures. Authors Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory have created a process of evaluation, enlightenment, and emancipation to help you manage the larger issues without sweating the small stuff. For someone like me, who has long felt compelled to achieve every personal and professional goal--or else feel like a failure--this b ...more
For almost 1.5 years, I was privileged to serve as the graphic design intern for Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory’s Grit n Grace Girls podcast. Since they invested so much in me, I was happy to be on the manuscript development team for Exhale, their first collaborative writing project.

Amy and Cheri take turns, every other chapter, telling their stories of struggles with perfectionism, comparison, meddling and relationship issues. They also use a key Bible story in each chapter that shows us how we
Katie M.  Reid
Carroll and Gregory pour out hard-won wisdom like a balm for dependable women. Through candid stories, pivotal observations, and ah-ha moments, Exhale delivers clarity and assurance. Breathe deeply of God's love and walk confidently, with purpose, as you interact with this gold-mine of goodness.
Lydia Howe
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
WHY I CHOOSE THIS BOOK

Overall I’d say I’m good at telling people no. But, that only applies to people who I feel ‘equal’ to – my peers, etc… When it comes to my bosses, managers, or pretty much anyone in a position of authority, I have an overwhelming desire to do any and everything I can to please them.

Thankfully I work with a great team who actually cares about me and looks out for my best interests, but I figured I should probably start curbing my management-pleasing-side now. After all, it’s
Christen Fox
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exhale: Lose who you’re not. Love who you are. Live your one life well. by Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory was the splash of cold water my soul needed to awaken from its state of overcommittedness (is that a word??? ☺ ) in order to be refreshed by the lightening of nothingness.

Friends, true to its title, Exhale is like one big release. It’s like finally taking a moment to pause and intentionally inhale a deep breath in, in order to exhale all of the weight, baggage, stress, etc out of your body.
Sarah Poling
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book's subtitle is: lose who you're not, love who you are, live your one life well.

The book is divided into these three categories and it works. I read lots of spiritual growth/self help christian books, and this one stands out. The biggest difference is that this book addresses our mindset, and directly encourages us to change our mindset. But instead of describing a fixed versus growth mindset, as the world does. The authors choose to suggest we have a new mindset. And I see that new min
Bethany
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read the subtitle for this book: "Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your Own Life Well", I knew that the message of this book would timely for me, and I was right. I was sucked in from the moment that I read the first sentences of the introduction: "It's 2:37 a.m., and she's wide awake. Again. Her busy brain is rehearsing everything she didn't get done today. All the things she's got to do tomorrow (which, she realizes with a new jolt of anxiety, is now technically today)." I re ...more
Barbara Sousa
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exhale: Lose Who You’re Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well is like a breath of fresh air. And as an (often) overcommitted perfectionist, this book really spoke to me. Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory urge us to live our lives well by releasing those self-images and preconceived notions that hold us back and embracing fully our God-given gifts and accepting who we are. They ask us to cast aside the labels that have defined you – be it your role in life (wife, mother, daughter), occupatio ...more
Cheri
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Take a deep breath and exhale all that you are not so you can enjoy all that you are!

This book being released as you start the summer is perfect timing! You can reboot your thought processes and allow yourself the freedom to love who you are! I had so many AH HA moments as I read.
Cheri and Amy are such a cohesive and dynamic duo! Their writing style and perspectives are a rhythmical pattern. They lay the groundwork as well as provide the tools you need to build on.

An area that really helped me w
Kristen
Note: I received a copy of Exhale from the Publisher in return for my honest opinion.

Wow! By the end of reading Exhale: Lose Who You're Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well by Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory, I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I admit it took me a few chapters to really get the feel of the book but by the end of Exhale, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and found it to be very helpful.

The entire book is set up in a very similar manner - with 3 parts, each cha
Kendra
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
If you're exhausted (and let's face it, maybe even a little grumpy) from trying to be all things to all people, this book is for you. While many books today should be renamed, You Can Do All The Things!!!, Exhale is the antidote to that mentality.

Co-authors Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory use Bible stories to remind us that not only CAN'T we do all the things, God never intended for us to in the first place!

Instead of showing us how to be all that we can be, they show us how to be all that we’re m
Amy Langmaack
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2019
As we’ve finally settled into life post-move and unpacking all the boxes, I find myself feeling like I should be able to run around at full capacity. And yet, I find myself struggling to keep up. I ran so hard for so long, and now I need some space to be able to recharge my batteries so to speak and breathe. I need to exhale.

The truth is, we can’t be all things to all people. We must learn to discern who we truly are, love who we are created to be and then live our lives in a way that matters.

In
Brianna
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

As a mom, wife and daughter I feel over the years I’ve lost who I was. This book spoke to me helping me to work on me. over time we become people we aren’t and lets face it, loving ourselves is hard (or at least for me it is). This book brought in Jesus’ story of the woman at the well. In the book it talks about how everyday this woman carries her jug to the well. Her jug represents all the baggage we all carry daily. But after she meets Jesus she leaves her jug and runs to tell others. How libe
Michelle VanHaitsma
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy & Cheri's book looks at common issues we have as women - being over committed, being afraid of making mistakes, being vulnerable, and trying to be everything for everyone. This book really helped me examine how I do that in my life and to replace that with recognizing who God made me to be and the life He created me to live. I have three daughters and I can see them already falling into those struggles. This book has encouraged me to call it out when I see it and discuss with my daughter ...more
Leigh
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Over the course of our lives, we tend to collect a list of ideas about what we “should be doing” or what we “have to do.” Often, these lists leave us worn down and longing for space to breathe. Exhale is the book that shows you how to find that space.

Its authors, Amy Carroll and Cheri Gregory, use candid illustrations describing their own experiences with being worn out and how they found freedom. Now, it’s clear they are on a mission to help others walk in that freedom, too.

Exhale is comprise
Bonnie Plante
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever feel as though the weight of the world is on your shoulders? That everyone is depending on you and you alone? That if you don't do "it" whatever it is absolutely won't get done? If so, this is the book for you. Amy Carroll & Cheri Gregory walk the reader through how to "Lose What You're Not," "Love Who You Are" and "Live Your One Life Well." With plenty of personal anecdotes, loads of scriptural references and even a bit of science this book is, entertaining, educational and enli ...more
Caitlin Allen
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Bethany House for the free review copy. All opinions are my own.

What a joy this book was to work through this past month. I intentionally read it slowly to work through the process of losing, loving, and living. I think that the chapters written from two different people added much depth to the overall message. While these women are similar, there are also many differences, and I found that I could relate to different parts of their struggles and triumphs.

I think that the three dist
Susan Daugherty
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first words of the introduction, I was certain the authors knew the feelings and internal struggles I was having - even the fact that I have difficulty sleeping at night!

In the conversational tone of friends who understand, Amy and Cheri outline a process to "move from running-on-empty to spent and content." They understand women who take on far too much responsibility for others, leading us to say far too many "yes"s.

Step by step, they lovingly show us how to let go of roles that don't
Nolyn Whitaker
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
To be honest, I wasn’t very sure if I would enjoy this book when I started reading it because I tend not to like books where the author changes from chapter to chapter (a change in the “voice” of the writer), but the book evolved nicely between the chapters and parts. Each chapter reads in a way that it could stand alone, so if you have to stop between chapters, it’s easy to pick up where you left off without feeling lost.

The message was a powerful one for people like me who try to be all thing
Heather
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had really been looking forward to reading this book, and it did not disappoint! Seeing the title and hearing what it was about, I figured it would be a really good message, and it was. Doing the “right” thing, but for the wrong reasons, is not what we’re made to do. God made us to have a specific purpose, and we are supposed to do that even if it means not blending in with what everyone else is doing.
I read this over a couple days, because it was very good and hard to put down! The writing i
Angela Nicole
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I most appreciated about this book was the willingness of the authors to share their own struggles. The book isn't written from a perspective of looking back on what once was because now they have total victory. It is written in a way that shares what they've learned and overcome, but also what they still deal with daily as they journey with Jesus. Their openness about how they are learning to accept themselves invited me to take a closer look at places I struggle to accept myself and how t ...more
Sandy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s not an easy world, with all of the noise and distraction, to discern where God is calling you. The world can be demanding, inviting you to buy into the “lie” that you have to be who other people think you should be. This wonderful book truly lives up to the title: “Exhale: Lose Who You’re Not, Love Who You Are, Live Your One Life Well.” Not a book to be devoured in a short time, but better savored, pondered, internalized, re-visited.
victoria
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had an amazing writing and compelling to read with that also will had a great story that will give you a hope and comfortable to have a life the way you should be living, to be good and doing good thing that came from your real heart and not to try to make yourself small to be fit in or convenient for everyone. I highly recommend to everyone must to read this book. “ I received complimentary a copy of this book from Bethany House for this review”.
Ivy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for giving women permission around the world to simply exhale. We aren’t meant to be all and everything for everyone. But, we are meant to serve Him with the calling and talents he’s given us. It’s ok to take a step back and reassess each item on our to do list.

“As it turns out, letting go of a dead dream can be an enormous relief.”

I received a free digital copy of this manuscript. :)
Tonya Kubo
I need to read this book a few more times to make sure it really sinks in. The idea that I'm loved for who I am vs. what I do is one I need to better internalize.
This book truly is a breath of fresh air. It's been a joy to work through it and I appreciate the practical approach at biblical application.
Brooke Fradd
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I appreciated hearing about the topic from two different personalities, it helps remind us that while no two stories are the same, many of us share the common struggle.

I also learned about the square method of breathing for anxiety - exactly when I needed it for dealing with panic related to a phobia. Love a practical tool!!!!
Billie Jauss
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not need one more book on more things to do and this book was just the right read. I loved the process of releasing the pressure I've put on myself and living in the glorious love of God!
I love Amy and Cheri's stories. They make the principles real and realistically attainable for me. Excited to exhale and live the life you were created for!
Kelly Kantola
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy and Cheri tell a compelling story of how not to become overwhelmed with trying to be everything to everybody. It's ok to say no. It's ok to turn things down so as not to spread yourself too thin! Every woman can use this book!
Linda Bumba
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exhale is a well-written book, reminding us to breathe. The love and passion of the authors shine thru, reminding the reader it's okay if God sometimes closes a door because He has better things in mind.
Jamie Holloway
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. I especially love chapter 17.