Start by marking “Brady” as Want to Read:
Brady

Brady

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Brady has never been trusted with secrets, until now. When he discovers an Underground Railroad station near his family's farm, he is forced to make his own decision about the slavery controversy. Whatever his decision may be, he knows that this is one secret that must be kept.
Published August 30th 2001 by Puffin Books (first published December 19th 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Brady, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating, especially now
JimtheDean
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Historical fiction. Interesting book. Kept me engaged. Written for teens, but a good story none-the-less with a good message.
Adama Fall
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
BRADY by JEAN FRITZ -254pages.i answer to the question 2 and 11.

Does this story or its characters remind you of another story you have read? Does it remind you of a movie? how are they alike? and how are they different?

this story remember me another story that i read several years ago: the history of ''kunta kinte'' by alex haley. i was so attracted by this book that i rent the movie. it was an interesting book with a true story. the story in ''brady'' the book i have already read is similar to
Jan 28, 2017 added it
Very good middle school read
Marika Gillis
Early in this gentle novel, Brady, a pastor’s son, stumbles upon a neighbor’s Underground Railroad “station” while playing in the woods with a friend. When Brady, unable to keep a secret, shares his discovery with his family, he is surprised by their reaction. Unsure of his own feelings about slavery, Brady begins to notice the tension between those around him who are on opposite sides of the controversial issue. Then Brady stumbles across an even bigger secret related to the Underground Railroa ...more
Phoebe
Brady, a Pennsylvania pastor's son, is out in the woods one day when he comes across a hermit neighbor's Underground Railroad station. Brady's community, so close to the Virginia border, is much divided on the subject of slavery, and even his own home is unsettled: his Southern-born mother is on one side, and his father seems to be on the other, a question that is finally put to rest the day he courageously preaches a sermon against the evils of slavery. Violence against the family's property en ...more
W
One of my favorite books that I still read over and over to this day. I'll pack it in my bag when I'm going on a trip or even when I know I'll have a bit of a wait before an appointment.

Brady is a sweet book about a boy who learns to have convictions and think for himself and how he's forced to act on those convictions. The book has enough suspense for younger readers, but the true beauty in the story is how Jean Fritz wrote such real personalities with her characters, the depth in revealing the
Elena
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A sweet book which takes place in the 1830--a time period I haven't seen a lot of historical fiction for. The Revolution is still being fought in the memories of the oldest inhabitants but slavery and abolition are fast becoming a challenging political issue. It's told from the point of view of a boy who can never keep a secret yet stumbles upon the huge secret of the Underground Railroad station in his neighborhood. A good read. (Read for my tutoring work).
Jon
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic YA book, with the title character coming of age on the border of the Mason-Dixon line in the years before the Civil War. Son of an abolitionist preacher and a former plantation belle for his mother, Brady is conflicted on just what slavery means for him.

This is a great novel to introduce kids to the Ante-bellum South and the issue of Slavery (both north and south). Not much in the way of female leads (or female characters at all), but fun regardless.
Spring Ranch
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love stories about people doing what's right even when it's dangerous or scary. Because of that I love to read books about the Underground Railroad. "Brady" is one those books that kids don't often grab because, honestly, the cover and the title don't make it look all that interesting. Don't judge this book by it's cover. It's an exciting story, with a character, Brady, who helps you to see the slavery issue and the underground railroad from the perspective of a child. I loved this book!
Bucko
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Okay. I had read this in the fifth or sixth grade, and picked it up after I bought it for my dad for Christmas this year. (It takes place in his hometown, Washington, PA.) I almost gave up halfway through, but the ending proved fairly satisfying. Might be a good read for pre-teens, but didn't have enough punch to be a worthy read for most adults I would think.
Lori
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good story that offers the young reader insight both to the issues of slavery pre-Civil War & the inner struggles of a boy learning to become a man (character traits). It does this well without being too heavy. We read this for history as a read aloud-- my daughter (grade3) really enjoyed it!
Genet
Aug 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Of all the juvenile literature I have read recently, this has been my favorite. Gentle, and quiet, yet somehow still filled with action and adventure. Story of a boy and the Underground Railroad, touches on deep, emotional issues without being graphic or inappropriate for the age group. I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it for youth and adults.
Sharon
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Decided to re read this quickly once more before giving it away. Good historical fiction and a lesson for ALL of us in this age of "TMI" and oversharing of personal information. Took only about a day to finish, but glad I took the time
Sheila
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've had this on my shelf forever. Why didn't I read this sooner?
Grace Verkler
It was really good!
Madison
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Another one from school. It was okay. Not the worst school book ever. Wouldn't mind reading it again if I ever had to.
Ruvim Andrushchenko
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with some references to history and religion. I really enjoyed reading this suspenseful book!!! I would definitely recommend this book to young readers?
Claire Simpson
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love love love this book!!! I highly recommend it!
Cindy
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully timeless historical fiction on the issues of pre-Civil War slavery, the Abolitionist Movement, and the Underground Railroad.
Valerie Basham
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, young-adult
Moving story! I love Jean Fritz's writing and this one does not disappoint.
Cws
Feb 09, 2009 added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-Fri
John
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yes it is a book for the young reader . It is one I would recommend for its interesting story and characters.
Kerrie
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
We read this as part of our history curriculum and Keagan loved it. It's a good story and I would recommend it for preteens.
Michelle
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book! I read it aloud to my kids(ages 5-12). They loved it! Beautiful telling of the Underground Railroad, it's dangers, and the variety of human emotions surrounding it.
CoraJean
  • The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts
  • Born in the Year of Courage
  • Journey Home
  • Charley Skedaddle
  • A Boy at War: A Novel of Pearl Harbor (Adam Pelko, #1)
  • Bat 21
  • Watchdog and the Coyotes
  • The Borning Room
  • Infamy: Pearl Harbor and its Aftermath
  • The Plague
Jean Fritz is a children’s author who has a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She has received an honor for every book that sh ...more
More about Jean Fritz...