Start by marking “Beauty Sleep” as Want to Read:
Beauty Sleep

Beauty Sleep

Laura was dying. There was no cure for her illness. So her family decided to grasp a desperate last hope - Laura was frozen until she could be cured.

But what happens when you wake up one day and the world has moved on forty years? Your best friend is middle-aged, your parents presumed dead. Could you find a new place to belong? Could you build a new life - while solving th
Published April 4th 2019 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty Sleep

Cora Tea Party Princess
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was D A R K.

My Favourite Sci-Fi Tropes and Themes, inspired by Beauty Sleep.
Bookshelf Reader
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book made me laugh and cry in all the right places and when I wasn't reading about it, I would think of its story.

It was wonderful to read, [and re-read, and re-re-read!] it's a true thriller and I wish it would be a movie.
It will keep you up at night, turning its rich pages with a sense of faint horror and glee.

But it's not all horror, it has sadness and joy mixed with pain and wonder, hunger and a thirst for the truth. [and a dash of mystery]
Barbara Band
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another gripping science fi from Kathryn Evan's. Laura and her brother are suffering from a rare cancer with no cure so her mums decide to put both of them into cryogenic sleep until a cure can be found.
Forty years later Laura is revived to discover both her mums and her brother are dead. The only person linked to her past is Stacey, her best friend, but there's an injunction preventing Stacey from getting near Laura.
Laura needs to find out what really happened but who can she believe?
Love the
Sean Randall
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I was hooked on this, and as the character's converge the excitement keeps building. A clever, well-paced novel with more of a satisfying ending than kathryn's debut. I even completely missed the big reveal at the end, which in retrospect you'd have to be even blinder than I am to do. Fantastic book, though. Very much enjoyed.
Karen Barber
Laura and her brother are suffering with a particularly rare form of cancer, and they are given the opportunity to trial an experimental treatment. Her last memory is of sticking a picture of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson into a scrapbook. When she next wakes, having been successfully ‘frozen’ until her cancer can be treated, it’s forty years in the future.
The initial focus on Laura waking up was done really well. Her confusion about interacting with the world around her was fascinating to r
Lois
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
(4.5 Stars)
Sally
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent take from Kathryn Evans! Following her brilliant novel More Of Me, I couldn't wait to get stuck into this.
Laura and her younger brother have a rare and incurable cancer. They are offered a chance to be cryogenically frozen until such a time as they are able to treat and revive them.
40 years have passed by the time Laura is awoken. Her memory returns slowly as she is nursed back to full health, but the modern world is very different to the 1980's she had been growing up in. Th
Dominika Mazur
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: april-2019-done
Dark futuristic yet so darn contemporary

This book is phenomenal! I absolutely loved and lived through every single second of it. I found Laura to be extremely likeable! She starts off as a very confused character introduced to a different world and she has to choose whether or not she wants to find out the truth or live in blissful ignorance. I found this story enchanting and horrific and I feel like a part of me is still in this universe that Evans has created. Such a great and interesting read
Lucy-May
I knew what I wanted this book to be, & it turned out to be something completely different but it was still bloody brilliant & I loved it. Beauty Sleep had me questioning everyone’s motives from the get go & it was so addictive that I missed A LOT of sleep to read it. I am truly obsessed with this story & would love a sequel, even though the story ended so well.

I was sent this book by Usborne Publishing in return for an honest review

Extended Review: https://wp.me/p8MbIo-2Mb
Q&
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: A physical copy was provided via UsBorne YAin exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Beauty Sleep is my introduction to Kathryn Evans; but it was an introduction that definitely made an impact on me.

The book is told in two different POVs – Laura + Shem
and works seamlessly between both the POVs for an amazing reading experience

It’s the 1980s – Laura and her
Rutuja Ramteke
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
💜Beauty Sleep By Kathryn Evans💜
Laura is dying. Her last desperate hope is to be frozen until she can be cured. But what happens when you wake up one day and the world has moved on forty years? Your best friend is middle-aged, your parents are presumed dead.
📚So basically, this is a story of Laura who is unfortunately diagnosed by incurable cancer. Not only Laura but her brother too is suffering from this incurable disease where their death is certain. But, in Laura's case she has to be frozen t
Nancy H
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although I am considerably older than the target age for this Young Adult (YA) novel, I found it an intriguing and gripping read. I was already a fan of Kathryn Evans' debut novel More of Me, a unique tale of family and regeneration. Here in her second book, Beauty Sleep, she takes regeneration to a whole other level as she writes about Laura's coming back to life after 40 years of the frozen "sleep" of cryopreservation. She also continues to explore ideas of family and friendship: parental care ...more
Moon
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
I really liked this take on "Sleeping Beauty", which is NOT a retelling. Tehre was a lot of 1980's memories and also some interesting futuristic ideas. I enjoyed the book, but it was predictable in a lot of things (like Shem's first chapter (view spoiler)). I did like the concept of the new "slate" (phone) and how
Nivedita Dhar
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god, this book has clearly won my heart. I have never enjoyed any ARCs like this before. I have requested to the publisher that they should really produce a movie with the story of Beauty Sleep. This is my 2nd Sci-Fi read in my life ever. Truly 2019 has given me highly roller coaster rides with the genre selection. I hated Fantasies, i read A Map Of Days and I became fan of fantasy books, i hated Sci-fi and then i read this book, oh my god i just loved this book so much. Highly recommendin ...more
Rhiannon Teague
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and gripping story brilliantly revealed through two narrators Laura and Shem, both of which have their struggles with futuristic technology, one through being newly introduced to it and another having to live without it in a world that does not allow for that.
This novel asks its readers important questions about love, family, changing beauty ideals; and how far humans are willing to go for health, beauty, money and status.
If you loved Evans' debut novel "More of Me" her second novel
Scarlet Wilson
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this story about a girl who wakes up after being 'frozen' due to ill health a number of years ago. The world she wakes up in has none of her family left, and technology she's unfamiliar with. The futuristic world only seems a few years on from where we are now, with science making waking up from cryogenesis a reality, making this story entirely plausible. A fantastic story which reads like a feature length episode of Black Mirror. There's just enough creep factor and uncertai ...more
Penny
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: visiting-author
Good, tight futuristic thriller that looks at some pressing questions of medical ethics.
Should cryogenics exist in hope of future cures? At any price? How much are doctors required to inform their patients? What is the line between patient and client?
Added to this, a nicely drawn main character, and some amusing clashes of the 1980s and 2020s
Personally, I would have like a bit more emphasis on the sci-fi, but that's a personal choice. it's set to be madly popular in my secondary school library.
Aimee Brave
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. There are no words for how much, but I’ll try.

A brilliant mix of YA, sci-fi and gripping thriller. Funny, tear-jerking and thought-provoking in all the right places. Diverse, 3D characters you genuinely care about; days after reading the last page, I’m still thinking about them.

If you’re looking for an original story that’s both futuristic and incredibly relatable, you can’t get better than Beauty Sleep.
Suzie Wilde
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the debut novel, More of Me, and never thought the author could come up with another brilliant idea for a story - but she has. It's not only jaw-droppingly Out There but also manages to be topical. No spoilers here: you'll end up caring for all the characters, even the 'villains'. You won't look at selfies the same way, I promise.
Jezza
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DING DONG! Kathryn Evans has hit the nail on the head. I read this in two days! What an exciting roller coaster of a book! I want to like in this amazing futuristic world that Kathryn has created. Anyone who loves reading sci fi, crime and thriller novels will adore this book. This is sure to win some awards.
Jenna
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
Bloody loved this. I can’t even. I feel drunk on the plot of this. So many twists that I didn’t see coming. Such well rounded characters, and it was such fun seeing modern life through Laura’s eyes!! Can not recommend this enough.
Michelle
Apr 12, 2019
Bethany Fitzpatrick
Jul 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Following a degree in drama and a short career in theatre, Kathryn Evans quickly realised she was likely to starve unless she got a proper job. She didn't get a proper job, she married a farmer and set up a strawberry farm. And now she's writing books, will she never learn?
“Darkness grew in my chest. So much worse than the absence of everything was the absence of something.” 0 likes
“What was the point of hope? There was nothing for people like me. No, chance, no help, no hope.” 0 likes