Start by marking “Teacher's Pet, Volume Two” as Want to Read:
Teacher's Pet, Volume Two

Teacher's Pet, Volume Two

A Spell for Master Vervain by Lee Welch
Apprentice magicians aren’t supposed to fall for their masters, but after a year of longing, Kit is desperate for Master Vervain. Kit casts a forbidden spell to raise an incubus doppelganger of his master—oh, the things he’ll do with that incubus! But Kit’s invoking forces he can’t control and anything can happen when love and magic a
ebook
Published October 22nd 2018 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Teacher's Pet, Volume Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teacher's Pet, Volume Two

Start your review of Teacher's Pet, Volume Two
Hollis
I only read A SPELL FOR MASTER VERVAIN from this anthology because I am a fan of Welch's first book and while, yes, I know it's a short, I found it.. well. Short. I thought it started off very strong (and hot!) but then the romance hurtled along at breakneck pace and I felt the sexy scenes were also quite rushed. Had she been given a bit more of a page count to flesh the other half of this romance out, I would've liked this much more than I did. But oh the potential is there! Can't wait to read ...more
Joyfully Jay
Nov 09, 2018 added it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

A Spell for Master Vervain is a short story within the Teacher’s Pet Volume 2 anthology. As of this review, it appears to only be available as part of the anthology, which features eight stories focused on a student/teacher dynamic. Purely due to some time constraints in my reading, I chose to focus just on Welch’s story, rather than reading the whole anthology.

This is a fun story with a nice twist. We get a surprising amount of information on this magical world, de
Kara Jorgensen
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
You can find my overview review on my website. I want to begin by saying I accepted this ARC because I greatly enjoyed Lee Welch’s novel Salt Magic, Skin Magic, and at the time, I didn’t think about how awkward this might be for me since I’m an adjunct professor. Luckily, this anthology doesn’t contain any underage or just eighteen hanky-panky with an older professor (which I absolutely hate as a literary fiction trope).

One of the things I appreciated about this anthology is that the power dynam
Jess
This book was provided for free by the publisher and Love Bytes in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

“A Spell for Master Vervain” by Lee Welch

This is a strong, steamy start to this anthology—and it seems to be the story generating the most buzz. The eroticism of the teacher/student relationship is presented in full force, with a stern teacher coming across his flustered student in a compromis
Tracie R
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgally
Teacher's Pet, Volume Two is collection of stories, a bit of a mixed bag but overall an ok read
A Spell for Master Vervain by Lee Welch
Academic Temptations by Karmen Lee
The Sidhe’s Apprentice by Morwen Navarre
Press “Copy” to Begin by Maryn Blackburn
VVivacious
A ScatteredThoughtsandRogueWords Review. This review can also be found here.

This is an anthology of eight stories by various authors that focus on relationships that develop between a student and their teacher. None of the characters, in this anthology, are under 18 so while a relationship between a student and teacher in such a scenario would not be illegal there are still a whole horde of societal repercussions to deal with.

Though, the majority of these stories don’t really focus on that eleme
Milly Molly
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This anthology contained 8 short stories. Short stories are notoriously difficult to write as it is so difficult to fit a story arc successfully within one. Some of the stories I enjoyed more than others and there were a couple I loved. Overall this anthology was a 4 star read for me.

A Spell For Master Vervain
I really liked Lee Welch’s story of earnest Kit and unattainable Vervain it had humour and heartfelt moments and the ending left me with a smile on my face. I would love to revisit them i
Karen
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This anthology volume is a great way to get to know new authors and brings together a very varied collection of short stories, some of which really stood out. Others... not so much.

Lee Welch's "A Spell for Master Vervain" was my favorite by far! It's a magical story of the love between a Master magician and one of his apprentices. After a long period of unrequited longing (off-page) Kit, the apprentice, in his desperation tries out a forbidden spell in order to conjure up an incubus lookalike o
Allison
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, anthology, arc
**ARC provided with the understanding a review would be provided.**

As with any anthology there are stories you love and stories you like. I liked all of these even though I found some of the writing to be a little rough, but they were all short and sweet enough that I enjoyed them. I liked that it was a mix of various stories, and that the definition of "teacher" was varied and that the power dynamics were never overlooked. If you're looking for a variety of story types held together loosely by
Kate
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, mm
I liked Lee Welch's other books (especially Mended with Gold) so accepted an ARC copy of this anthology in exchange for an honest review. Others here have listed the stories so I won't do that. I wouldn't usually expect to like romance based on a relationship between teacher and student - but in this collection the power imbalance is not ignored and not exploited either. The definition is stretched to include tutors and coaches in a wide variety of circumstances. Several of the stories could hav ...more
Natalie panda eyes
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recieved from Netgalley. A collection of short stories by various authors, gay, lesbian and magic. Oh and teachers/mentors.

Gay:-

A spell for master vervain (m)
Finding the words
One small step (m)
Shedding doubt
The sidhe’s apprentice (m)

Lesbian:-

The silent treatment
Academic temptations
Press ‘copy’ to begin

I’m slightly bias since I prefer magic in a story. So my favourites were those three. Overall my favourites were A spell for master vervain. I did cringe a little with the reveal. The story was sw
wonderfullyweird88
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
This book is anthology comprised of eight short stories that feature contemporary and fantasy settings with m/m, f/f couples who have some form of student-teacher dynamic. As with most anthologies featuring different authors, some stories are better than others.
Lee Welch's "A Spell for Master Vervain" was my favourite in the set and had by far the best pacing and intensity.
The remaining short stories suffered from the length, there was not enough time for relationships to develop. Overall a dec
Anya Spacecase
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Like all anthologies, this one is a mixed bag. I'm a fan of Lee Welch already, so no surprise that I think her m/m story, A Spell for Master Vervain, is the best. It's well written, endearing, and hot enough to sear your eyeballs. What more could you want?

Finding the Words, the story of a man coming back from tragedy, is also good. My favourite of the f/f stories is The Silent Treatment, about a minister and a yoga teacher. I had no idea yogis could be so flexible. The last story, Press "Copy"
Daphne
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5* - I received an ARC from one of the authors

I was pleasantly surprised by this anthology because the teacher-student trope usually creeps me out but it was handled very well in these stories. There is a good variety of genres and styles (contemporary, fantasy, m/m, f/f) and while there were several stories I really liked, there was none I actively disliked, which is great for an anthology.
Some of the stories could have had better pacing, as I found the endings to be abrupt and they left me
Amy Aislin
I really enjoyed this anthology! It was a nice mix of m/m and f/f romance stories, some sweeter than others, some more erotic than others. There was some fantasy, some paranormal, some contemporary.

I liked some stories more than others, and I particularly enjoyed the ones by Lee Welch and Elizabeth Caldwell, but the entire anthology overall was a nice read from start to finish. I must've been in the mood for short stories because I really liked it!
Amanda
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the strongest anthologies I've read lately. My two favorite stories were Lee Welch's "A Spell for Master Vervain" and Riza Curtis's "One Small Step;" they were so good they inspired me to seek out additional works by the authors. I wasn't expecting lesbian stories as well but ended up being thoroughly charmed by Elna Holst's "The Silent Treatment." So glad this book helped me to find new reads to explore!

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via Netgalley.
Kathy Johnson
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an anthology of various stories involving teacher and student relationships. It is a great book with many authors I had never read and it was great to find new authors to read.
A Spell for Master Vervain
This is a short MM Fantasy story. This is a great story about witches with a little incubus thrown in for good measure. The characters are well developed and the pace is really good. It was a great story.
P Leslie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review
*I voluntarily read this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no one else's*

4 stars

A great collection of short stories by various authors.

My favourite was Teacher’s Pet by Lee Welch followed closely by Shedding Doubt by Danielle Wayland and last but not least The Sidhe’s Apprentice.

Teacher’s Pet made me laugh. My jaw dropped when Kit’s spell was a little too successful - poor guy. Shedding Doubt reminded me of a book written by N R Walker but it was a good read.
Vendela
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an ARC in return for a review, and as ever with anthologies, it’s a bit of a mixed bag. The Lee Welch story, however, is worth the price of admission and more, and there are a couple of other gems in here that i liked very much.
Tina
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Review just for Lee Welch’s story (for the moment, anyway):
3.5 stars. Magical, sweet, and enchanting. I want a full length book with Vervain and Kit and their world.
Michele Fogal
Apr 24, 2019
Seeilin
Oct 27, 2018
Elna Holst
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
E.G. Jönsson
Jan 30, 2019
Cristie Underwood
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read! The author's wrote stories that were fun to read and that all stayed within the same theme. I read this in one sitting!
Tim Fuller
Emma Rigby
Nov 03, 2018
Amy
Oct 19, 2018

• Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • Starlight (Dark Space, #3)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • Clean Break (Farm College, #2)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • A Gentleman Tutor
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • Out Loud (Mended with Gold, #1.5)
  • Secret at Skull House (Secrets and Scrabble #2)
  • Master Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #2)
  • Family Recipe
  • Band Sinister
  • Blue on Blue (Bitter Legacy, #3)
  • The Professor's Green Card Marriage
  • Blind Side (Dangerous Ground, #6)
Lee Welch lives in a house on a hill in the windiest city in the world – Wellington, New Zealand. She shares the house with her partner, two kids and two cats. Hedgehogs visit occasionally, which makes her happy.

Lee wrote her first novel (an unpublished pastiche of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) when she was seven and has been writing on-and-off ever since.

She studied ancient history at Auc

News & Interviews