Start by marking “Sorry for the Dead (Josephine Tey #8)” as Want to Read:
Sorry for the Dead (Josephine Tey #8)

Sorry for the Dead

(Josephine Tey #8)

At once a compelling murder mystery and a moving exploration of love and grief, critically acclaimed author Nicola Upson's eighth Josephine Tey mystery is a force to be reckoned with.

In the summer of 1915, the sudden death of a young girl brings grief and notoriety to Charleston Farmhouse on the Sussex Downs.

Years later, Josephine Tey returns to the same house--now much
Published April 9th 2019 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Sorry for the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorry for the Dead

Start your review of Sorry for the Dead (Josephine Tey #8)
Roman Clodia
I usually love this series for the complicated characterisation of Josephine Tey, Upson's immaculate writing, and the way a contemporary sensibility intertwines with an evocation of the 1930s. Nevertheless, this book seemed to take me forever to get through and I was a little bored throughout the middle section where not much seemed to happen before a flurry of last-minute revelations and action at the end: pacing, therefore, feels somewhat off.

It also feels like the story changes direction -
Elaine Tomasso
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Faber and Faber Ltd for an advance copy of Sorry for the Dead, the eighth novel to feature Josephine Tey.

In 1915 a young girl falls to her death in an accident at a horticultural college. Josephine, a teacher there at the time, has no cause to doubt the verdict but in 1938 a newspaper article drags it up and suggests Dorothy was murdered. Returning to the scene Josephine vows to get to the bottom of the mystery and clear any suspicion from her name.

I enjoyed
Miss R
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Another stunning historical mystery from an immensely gifted author.

Ever since I discovered 'An Expert in Murder', the 1st book in this series, I have been a huge fan of Nicola Upson's Josephine Tey mysteries. For the uninitiated, Josephine Tey was one of the golden era crime writers of the 1930s and 1950s with Upson reimagining the author as the fictionalised protagonist of her own crime stories. The sense of time and
Karen
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins in 1948 with a very unsettling prologue and immediately my interest was piqued. Who was this person, what was the connection with Josephine and why? We then go back 10 years earlier when Josephine is directing one of her own plays and a newspaper story appears over the death of a young girl at a college where Josephine was a teacher over 20 years previously which is now being treated as suspicious. Although she isn’t directly accused, her name is included in the article, the ...more
Kathleen
This novel opens in 1948, teeming with mystery, a fateful ending for someone, then moves between 1915 and 1938, times in the world, especially England, that are fraught with peril. In 1915, Josephine Tey spends a summer teaching at Charleston, a sprawling estate designed for horticultural training, perhaps for sustainability for England for the challenging years ahead. Years later, Tey is implicated by the press in a criminal act at Charleston; despite her responsibilities to her current theater ...more
Miss R
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Another stunning historical mystery from an immensely gifted author.

Linda Hill
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Returning to the past brings more than just memories for Josephine Tey.

Having previously read and enjoyed writing by Josephine Tey, I was intrigued by Sorry for the Dead by Nicola Upson as it features Josephine Tey as the protagonist. What immediately struck me was the authentic voice Nicola Upson has. Sorry for the Dead is perfectly attuned to its era and yet is completely accessible and familiar to a modern reader. There’s a sophisticated ease to the style, especially through direct speech and
Eric
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and challenging, this eighth entry in Nicola Upson’s Josephine Tey series is really about the corrosive impact of secrets. While ostensibly a novel of detection concerning the death of a young woman at a horticultural college in 1915 and its continuing impact on the lives of those most closely concerned, it also examines societal attitudes to lesbians in England from WW1 to just after WW2.

I found the novel somewhat bleak, and, at times, exasperating. The exasperation stemmed partly
Kathleen Gray
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Josephine didn't question what happened when Dorothy died at college in 1915 but now, in 1938, she's questioning her memory. More importantly, as a mature woman, she understands more about life than she did when it happened. Georgina and Harriet, the women who oversaw the college, are lesbians and subject to much prejudice. The suggestion that Dorothy was murdered sets Josephine off on a quest for the truth- the truth about what happened and why it happened. While the mystery is nicely twisty, I ...more
Annarella
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A complex and well written mystery, well researched and full of food for thought.
I loved this series and I think this is one of the most complex story.
It's well written and I think that Ms Upson is a talented storyteller and does an excellent job in describing life between the wars and the implications for those who didn't match all the standards.
The mystery part is solid and keeps you guessing, the cast of characters is well thought and interesting.
An excellent and engrossing read, strongly
Marsha Valance
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written, intricately plotted mystery, beginning in 1948, jumping back to a crime committed in 1915, then to 1938, and ending in 1948, offering a lovingly detailed picture of England in the first half of the 20th century. Set on the Sussex Downs and the Essex coast, it features author Josephine Tey as the reluctant sleuth. I highly recommend it.
Vontel
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex book; travels back and forth in time between 1915 and 1948, all related to the death of a young twin teenage girl at a horticultural training garden during WW1. Many twists & turns for all the characters, who were young in 1915, and the much more mature Josephine & her partner in the 1930's & in 1948.
Sophie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. I listen to it and the narrator - Sandra Duncan - reads very well indeed. I liked Josephine Tey’s novels which is what drew me to the series but the author has taken a really interesting perspective on her life. Clearly lots of research has been done. Central to all the novels is the relationship between women, in all its variants - friends, lovers, supporters, enemies.
Stephanie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm always interested to see what parts of history -- both political and cultural -- Nicola Upson will weave into this series, as well as which aspects of the characters' personal histories will appear. This one feels like a more personal story in some ways, as a lot of it is focused on Josephine's history.
Cindy Ladensack
I like how the story unfolded, switching between 1938, when a tragic event from Tey’s past is resurrected, and 1915, when the event occurred. Lots of twists, though most occurred near the end. Makes me want to read The Franchise Affair again.
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Excellent, tragic mystery.
Susan Barnes
Slow to get into

I found this book a slog to get into and not particularly gripping. It did get better but not one of her best.
Lesley Hammond
Nov 18, 2019
David Keay
Dec 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • Now You See Them
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • Gallows Court
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • A House of Ghosts
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • Killing with Confetti (A Detective Peter Diamond Mystery Book 18)
  • Death in the East
  • Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus
  • A Golden Grave
  • The Bodies in the Library (First Edition Library Mystery, #1)
Nicola Upson was born in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, and read English at Downing College, Cambridge. She has worked in theatre and as a freelance journalist, and is the author of two non-fiction works, and the recipient of an Escalator Award from Arts Council England. She lives with her partner and splits her time between Cambridge and Cornwall.

Nicola is currently writing the sixth book in the

Josephine Tey (8 books)
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
  • Angel with Two Faces (Josephine Tey, #2)
  • Two for Sorrow (Josephine Tey, #3)
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • The Death of Lucy Kyte (Josephine Tey, #5)
  • London Rain (Josephine Tey #6)
  • Nine Lessons (Josephine Tey #7)