Start by marking “Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)

Alphabet Squadron

(Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron #1)

The first novel in a new trilogy starring veteran New Republic pilots!

On the verge of victory in a brutal war, five New Republic pilots transform from hunted to hunters in this epic Star Wars adventure. Set after Return of the Jedi, Alphabet Squadron follows a unique team, each flying a different class of starfighter as they struggle to end their war once and for all.

The
Published June 11th 2019 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Alphabet Squadron, please sign up.
Marty Nash Alphabet squadron is one of the better books in the new 'canon'.

Alphabet squadron is one of the better books in the new 'canon'.

Good character development and definitely setting up for a trilogy. I find it hard to compare the new books with the legends as I have a significant amount of nostalgia with them; having grown up with these books, reading them over and over between playing the video games, which, at the time was the only Star Wars media available after Return of the Jedi.

Not as much action and I didn't get the feeling that I was 'reading a movie' as with the X-Wing series, but a good read and an intense battle with good cameos if you are current with movies/TV shows.(less)

Start your review of Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
Khurram
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really did enjoy this book, and would give it 4 stars for the story but the extra star for potential. It is a bit slow at the beginning but this is good as it setting up completely new characters.

The book is set in the transition era of (Disney) Star Wars. Six months after the Battle of Endor. The Empire has just been defeated, the new government is taking over, but in the frontlines the fighting continues. The New Republic gaining ground inch by inch, the stattered Empire now having to use
Neil R. Coulter
Alphabet Squadron is the best Star Wars novel I’ve read, and Alexander Freed continues to be the best Star Wars novelist—at least 12 parsecs above any other SW writer. His previous novel, Battlefront: Twilight Squadron , was the first book in the new canon that finally started to explore the potential complexities that other SW books have missed entirely. Alphabet Squadron matches that earlier story and deepens the mythology still further.

Freed is also bolder in this story: where Battlefront
♠ TABI ♠
yeah I love Star Wars with an immeasurable passion but tbh I'm mostly adding this because of that FIERCE cover mkay

description
Bria
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
You think you’re ready for this book. You’re so not ready. (I’d say I’d do whatever I had to in order to protect Yrica Quell but she’s never let me and I love her.)
Tait Sougstad
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
These characters are flatter than the paper they are printed on, and the plot dragged on like I was listening at x0.5 speed.

There's the jaded Imperial turncoat, trying to earn some justification from her former enemy; the bureaucrat playing spy; the interrogator droid turned therapist; the guy with a good heart who lost everything, and the comrade who resents him for saving her; the other maverick turncoat who cares only for himself; a cameo from a very important canon character. Somehow, nearly
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/12/26/...

One of benefits and one of the things I appreciate most about reading the Star Wars tie-in novels is the way they bring attention to other happenings in the galaxy, away from the main story of the movies. There’s also been the recent trend of books exploring the conflict from all sides, because whether you are rebel or imperial, war is something everyone must confront. This is a prominent theme in Star Wars: Alphabet
Ben Brown
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars-canon
Reading a new “Star Wars” novel is a little like playing the lottery – sometimes you win big, other times (arguably, MOST times) you walk away a little poorer and slightly more jaded. Alexander Freed’s “Alphabet Squadron,” I’m happy to report, is the literature equivalent of a winning scratch ticket – it’s not quite like winning the Mega Millions, but it's still an unexpected treat.

The first book in a proposed trilogy, “Alphabet Squadron” does yeoman’s work setting the table narratively, laying
FanFiAddict
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Rating: 6.5/10

Thanks to Penguin Random House Audio, the author, and the narrator for a listening copy of Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron #1) in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this LC did not influence my thoughts or opinions on the novel.

Alphabet Squadron is an intriguing story with plenty of spectacular dogfights and space battles, but falters when it comes to engaging the reader with its new set of characters and setting a consistent pace. I definitely recommend
Stephen
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When we look at Star Wars, it’s all too easy to see the heroes and the villains in the original trilogy. In the prequel era, those lines became less clear. Instead of it being a story of black and white, we were introduced to the element of gray. Anakin Skywalker is the good guy who saves the day time after time, yet he’s the hero who’s tragic fall leads so many to death and misery. And yet, he’s the one who kills the Emperor and brings about the beginning of the end for the Empire. When looked ...more
Jim C
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

This is the beginning of a new trilogy that takes place after the events of Return of the Jedi. In this one, there is remnants of the Empire still out there in the galaxy. There is one particular squadron, Shadow Wing, that the New Republic is concerned about and they turn to a former member of this squadron for help.

This was better than I thought it was going to be. I was a little weary going into this because the former timeline of novels in this universe covered
Christine
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
A rag tag band of pilots, all lone survivors of their units, band together to help the New Republic. The main character is Yrica Quell, a defector from the Empire. The premise was good, but the execution was lacking. First of all, the book was too long. It took a long time to get to the point -- in fact I almost gave up. For all that set up, I didn't think the characters or their back stories were explained very well. I think the author was going for suspense, but I was confused. The last battle ...more
Haden
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
me: i love post-endor early new republic stuff and i LOVE fun pilot squadron family dynamics but i cannot STAND corran horn
del rey: [slides this book across the table]

@ every member of alphabet squadron: i would die for you.
Danny
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
I can't wait to talk to all y'all Star Wars people about this book.
Robert
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veterans of Star Wars, Both Foreign and Domestic
Shelves: guerre-stellari
Argh, I haven’t agonized this much over a rating or review in a long time. A long time...

OK, in the end I'm going to go with a full 4-stars because even though this wasn't necessarily the Star Wars book I wanted, perhaps it was the one we readers needed.

Let me just warn you that if you pick this book up excited over the fact that novels about rag-tag Rebel fighter squadrons are back (a la the oevre of Michael A. Stackpole) or the fact there is a tie-in to a new Marvel comics series, so pew PEW
Ozymandias
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: Michael Stackpole’s Rogue Squadron novels were my favorite of all the Star Wars Legends novels, barring only Zahn’s Heir to the Empire. The adventures of an elite fighter squadron taking on the worst the Empire could throw at them and even acting as a spec ops group when the situation called for it was exactly what the doctor ordered. It was the sort of adventure you didn’t know you needed until you found it.

As a result it’s hard for me to judge this book in isolation.

So let’s
Unseen Library
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Alphabet Squadron from Penguin Random House Australia to review.

Rating of 4.5.

The Star Wars expanded universe continues to grow as Alexander Freed presents a new and exciting adventure in the Star Wars canon, Alphabet Squadron.

Following the death of the Emperor and the destruction of the second Death Star during the Battle of Endor, the Empire has fragmented. Without the Emperor’s leadership, the various Imperial commanders have devolved into infighting and are faltering in
Peter Hale
Feb 19, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen Kennedy: My apprentices: the galaxy has been shaken by their feelings of betrayal over the new canon. They have started a Rebellion; an Alliance to Restore the Expanded Universe. We must build a battle station the destroy the--

Alexander Freed: Hold on, uh, just a minute, Empress, er, Emperor Kathleen, just a minute: why don't we just copy the old books?

Kathleen Kennedy: Wasn't that Aftermath trilogy to the Thrawn trilogy? We already tried ripping off that!

Alexander Freed: Uh...how about
Spencer
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a decent book, the story was interesting and the writing was pretty good... however all the characters seemed to be built around a single trait and this came to define them. This became rather repetitive when it came to dialogue and character development, hopefully this gets sorted out in the next book.
C.T. Phipps
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing

ALPHABET SQUADRON by Alexander Freed is a book that I was very eager to get into because it struck me as just up my alley. I've always been a huge fan of the Star Wars starfighter stories with Rogue Squadron, Wraith Squadron, the old TIE Fighter video game, and the recent Star Wars: Resistance. I also enjoyed the previously written Twilight Company by the author. Freed has a somewhat unromantic view of war as well as the Rebel Alliance's fight against the
Joseph Born
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The premise of Alphabet Squadron is simple. The burgeoning New Republic needs a special task force and assembles an unlikely group of pilots, each flying a differing model of starfighter (hence the name), and assigns them with a tough mission... to track down and eliminate the deadly Shadow Wing TIE fighter squadron of the Empire.
Alexander Freed writes military sci-fi well, and Alphabet Squadron was no exception. The space battles are described wonderfully, and the book immerses the reader in
Margaret
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh this book hit everything that I loved about the X-Wing books. No big fancy powers, just a story about a bunch of messed up people struggling to do what's right and work out what that even is. And Hera plays a role, which leads me to wonder if they wrote this specifically for me. (Though umm could someone please explain who's looking after Jacen, it's bothering me!)

The X-Wing books shone because they had some of the strongest character work out of all of Legends and this book is truly a worthy
Jeremy
Jun 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-wars-cannon
So far 2019 has been 0/2 in Star Wars cannon. This book is so long with so little to actually say. It's almost a mirror for the aftermath series where the characters are unlikable or just not interesting enough, the story feels empty and the writing seems to focus more on the feelings of the pilots while they are in battle then what is actually going on around them. I also thought story jumped around too much and when the characters told their "story" it felt pointless. Unlike Aftermath, I can't ...more
Connor Daley
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enjoyable ride from the empire over to the rebel alliance. I found the inclusion of already established characters (Syndulla) to make the story nicely grounded while introducing the new characters and story. However I feel like there were elements that I won’t name that also came from the Aftermath trilogy so in a way it feels choppy because I read those first but this happened beforehand?
Although I rated this 4* I found the ending to be drawn out and the fleshing out of
Nick Scott
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I feel like I know each member of the crew, and I want to spend more time with them (thankfully, this is first in a trilogy). A lot of people have compared this to the old X-Wing books, which weren't my cup of tea, but something in this one really hit with me. There is action, don't get me wrong, but everything is framed through the characters in such a way that I didn't lose interest or get confused as I am wont to do with starfighter sequences in a lot of books.
Nathan
Jan 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
I can’t take this book seriously with this title.
Marcus
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-listened
This book functions really well as a corrective to some of the shortcomings of the Aftermath trilogy, and of the Battlefront II campaign story.

Big parts of the canon post-ROTJ world had kind of a clunky introduction, wrapped up in the controversies of Aftermath. It became hard to separate your perception of Operation Cinder from your overall perception of the Aftermath books. I'm not even such a huge Aftermath hater myself and I still feel sort of weird when I see references to loyalty officers
Craig
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jordan Anderson
Hey. Are you looking for a non stop, no holds barred, rip roaring, action adventure novel? Are you hoping to read a Star Wars novel that puts all the rest of them to shame? Are you ready for a canon novel that finally beats the Disney curse and is actually good? Well, my friend, you’ve come to the wrong place.

To put things bluntly, Alphabet Squadron is lame, unexciting, and the perfect example of just why so many new Star Wars novels have sucked.

I’ll skip past the PC stuff that Disney must be
Camille Pum
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in the giveaway! Awesome story and wonderful writing!
Adam
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars, canon
We've had a lot of opportunities to complain in the last decade about unnecessary and misguided sequels, but (in no small part thanks to the Star Wars EU) I still believe the premise is fundamentally sound, given thoughtful and bold execution. Alphabet Squadron provides a good illustration of the, to my mind, unavoidable perils of the opposite approach: writing a story only to justify (and sell) its sequels. I didn't realize this book was the first of a planned trilogy until I got to the ...more

• Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Tie Fighter
  • Star Wars: Pirate's Price (Flight of the Falcon, #2)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 11: The Scourging of Shu-Torun
  • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance
  • Star Wars: Han Solo - Imperial Cadet
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 5: Worst Among Equals
  • Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Villains
Alexander Freed is the author of Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Lost Suns, as well as many short stories, comic books, and videogames. Born near Philadelphia, he endeavors to bring the city’s dour charm with him to his current home of Austin, Texas.

His first novel, Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company was included on BuzzFeed’s “Best Science Fiction Books Of 2015” list.

Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron (2 books)
  • Shadow Fall (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #2)
“The Empire was crumbling every day. Trillions of people were free because of the Rebellion. Because she was a general running a battle group instead of a cell leader flying the Ghost on one mad assignment or another.
Still, she missed her old crew. Her family.
She wished they all could have been with her aboard the Lodestar.”
1 likes
“Justice was the vice of bold, honorable men who died swift, stupid deaths, and vengeance was justice without the sheen of respectability.” 1 likes