Start by marking “The Blessed Girl” as Want to Read:
The Blessed Girl

The Blessed Girl

When you are accustomed to the finer things in life – designer shoes, champagne, VIP lounges, exotic holidays abroad, a luxury penthouse, expensive wheels – what independent young woman in her right mind would want to let them go? Certainly not the beautiful, ambitious and super-streetsmart Bontle Tau, the girl who has used her good looks and winning charm all her life to

Published October 1st 2018 by Pan Macmillan SA (first published October 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Blessed Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blessed Girl

Sonja Arlow

The concept of a Gold Digger and Sugar Daddy is not new but in South Africa the idea has morphed into something much more dangerous as high school girls have caught on to this trend.

The phenomena of the Blesser (old man with money) and the Blessee (beautiful young woman) has become so prevalent that even our government has taken notice stating that “young girls feel the pressure to be part of something luxurious and the blesser trend is an easy trap to fall into”.

The Social Development
Lorraine
The pace with which I read this book was astounding, considering that it was 277 pages long. A page turner.

I loved the cover. Shiny and glittery things make me happy. The story is told in the first person by Bontle Tau, the Blessed Queen, and she takes us through 7 years of her present life and throws in bits and pieces of her past putting some things/events into perspective.

As contemporary as it is, its play on social commentary was etched deeply in the second part of the story. As in from page
Tania
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fiction, bookclub
Blesser - A person (usually male and married) who sponsors a younger woman with luxury gifts or a luxurious lifestyle in exchange for a short- to medium-term relationship.

3.5 stars. I really had no idea what to expect when I started this book, but was pleasantly suprised by the many layers in the story. Starting off, I thought it may be a bit on the light side for me, with the heavy focus on image and looks, but as the story progressed more and more details was revealed about Bontle's past, whic
Roman Clodia
There's quite a vibrant narrative voice here but the story, essentially a morality tale, feels done before: however much our protagonist tries to persuade us that she loves her bling lifestyle funded by the post-apartheid South African equivalents of rich, old, sugar daddies, we know there's more to her than this. The slippages seep through her story: the failed marriage to a lovely young doctor with a social conscience, the depression, the love for her brother.

The story mixes satirical social
Puleng Hopper
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The dramatic and eventful story of extreme opulence is related in the first person, by the young , beautiful busy body , Bontle Tau. Bontle, " lived a luxurious lifestyle even though I had no job or education " She had an " unquenchable thirst for material wealth " As a result " this lifestyle of mine has me juggling so many balls " Some of the balls she juggled were those of uncle Chino, Vusu Ndaba, Papa Jeff, Teddy and Mr Emmanuel. The gentlemen were her blessers and she was the supposed bless ...more
Baratang
The "hype" around the book made most people who are familiar with the author's work want to read it urgently. I must say it was quite a disappointment for me. Up until the time when Vusi was introduced, the novel was just mundane. Bontle's daily routine of the clothes and perfume she wore or would have loved to have, drinks drowned at get togethers and men she slept with was all that there was and something was amiss.

The book was very light and I wonder what a real master piece it would have be
Tiah

~People don't understand that when your physical attributes are the most exceptional things about you, the sun orbits around your world, instead of the other way around.~

~Malcolm Gladwell said that if you spend 10 000 hours honing a skill, if you practise incessantly at it, you are more likely to be champion in that field. I've been charming the pants off people since the day I was born.~

~On thing that you can't afford if you're in this game is to drink too much. Aside from losing your looks, me
Mpho Mokhoro
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: our-stories
What an amazing, yet sombre depiction of what is quickly becoming an uncontrollable plague in South Africa...young women who, for whatever cause, are finding comfort in the pockets of rich, older, often married men...and the men who find comfort in between their young legs!

This story needs to be told far and wide; ESPECIALLY in South Africa. Little girls need to know that it's not all sunshine & roses when one chooses this "easy" way out. The Instagram façade comes at a heavy and costly pric
Tripfiction
Novel set in Johannesburg

3.5*

This is the story of a young woman, Bontle Tau who is now 28 (but who actually casts herself as being in her early 20s). She hails from a neglected and abusive background in a township. Her mother runs a shebeen and has a taste for alcohol, and she has entertained a variety of men during Bontle’s formative years; she also wasn’t particular about safeguarding her daughter in this rather unwholesome environment.

Bontle leaves this challenging environment, abandoning her
Gugu
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a page turner, I could not wait to get to the next page and the next. It reflects our society. I found myself conflicted, at times I was rooting for Bontle wanting her to win but I also judged.

I also loved the other themes in the book of such as mental health, family, friendships and poverty. I found Bontle to be a denialist. She refused to take responsibility nor accountability for her actions.
Tania Kliphuis
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book! I haven’t read any of Makholwa’s other novels but I’m keen to give them a go after finishing this one.

The subject matter seems frivolous and fun but, my goodness, it’s so much darker than that. Bontle is sharp and cutting, and she is also so tragic. I initially thought I’d struggle to like her but I couldn’t help wanting to love her and protect her from herself, her choices and the men in her life that exploit her constantly.

Every South African should read this. After
Coleen Cloete
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. There are so many parts of this book that stood out. Firstly it was great to read a South African, local author that was able to paint such a vivid picture of the inner workings of the relationship between a blesser and a blessee. The story is also written in a way that Bontle (the main character) writing a memoir of her life. This was such a wonderful way of telling her story. A flawed character and very unreliable narrator and wow so many twists and turns.

It was a
L Power
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and Captivating from start to finish

Really enjoyed the book as it touches on realities of our current socio economic and broken family state of our South African youth both Men and Women(blessers and drugs issues are huge challenges in our context.

Excellent writing, I gave it a 4 because I wished Angela and her team of editors should've made more effort to fix and amend text errors and close gaps better within the story. Other than that for me to read a South African fiction novel so
Tshidiso Thekiso
I have nothing else to say but - It’s a work of brilliance! 😭🙌🏽
Thatso
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I worried myself sick about the main character (Bontle) lifestyle. Also enjoyed the conversations she had with me and knew exactly when I was judging her. Worth the read.
Neelam Babul
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blessed Girl is the story of Bontle Tau, the narrator of the story and the blessee who seems to have it all: she is not even thirty years old, has been blessed with the looks of a supermodel, owns her own luxurious penthouse apartment, drives a luxury car, squanders money around at fancy restaurants, beauty and cosmetic treatments and designer goods like there is no tomorrow. She is offered business opportunities most women only dream of. It all comes at a price, of course. She is at the mer ...more
Monica Moreira
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blessed Girl it was really funny and intriguing at same time. I love the fact that its a lot happen in the girls life it keep me always wanting to read more from the book, also i love that the story its something very real so you can see yourself in certain circumstances. In the overall i would give this book 4 of 5 stars.
Tilly Ngope
I loved how she narrated the whole story. it's a day to day we are faced with as society, but how we choose to live our lives is entirely up to us. work hard for what you want or how you want to live. easy money doesn't last. a good read it was
Kym Payne
Good read with an unexpected twist at the end.
Lauren Crow
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the fourth novel by South African author Angela Makholwa and was generously sent to me by Pan Macmillan SA in a beautiful gift-wrapped box.

The story follows Bontle Tau, an absolutely gorgeous, twenty-something blessee (described in the book as, “A person (usually female) who lives a luxurious lifestyle funded by an older, sometimes married partner in return for sexual favours”). Bontle has many blessers (described as, “A person (usually male and married) who sponsors a younger woman
Zozo Mogoera
I give it 3⭐ for effort in her creativity with the narration. I must say, she caught me a few times when she repeated what I was thinking exactly 😁. So I guess I really paid attention.
A few vernacular phrases or references were incorrect, which got me thinking about Angela’s background & how & where she really grew up. Couldn’t forgive reference to Lesilio, instead of Lesilo.

I guess Angela’s niche is around the lives of young adults, 18-30. This book very similar to 30th candle. I remem
Hloni Dlamini
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is a quick read, I read it in one sitting but I feel I need to re read it so I can slowly devour it, part of my fast paced reading could be attributed to my excitement at angela releasing her 4th book, bontle is a character you love to hate. the book covers issues that are topical in today society ie the issue of blessers. I like the fact that angela also delves into Bontle Tau vulnerability which is shown when it comes to her younger brother. The issue of mental health is also spoken ...more
Alick Chingapi
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the fast pace and the perspective shared by the blessed girl. Gave an insight into the lives of Blessees in mzansi, an enjoyable read to broaden ones perspective into the social life of South Africa
Winnet
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressed

Read this book in 2 days, the start was a bit slow and boring for me.After that i could not put it down.Fun read,the ending was so unexpected but Bontle had a life and half.Too much drama,rapidly repeating mistakes (habits).Some good fiction to enjoy
Sakshi Aggarwal
The book focusses on South Africa's famous blesser and blessee relationship where blesser is a rich old man and the blesse is a young girl. The blesser spends money on blessee providing her the luxuries of life in exchange of blessee sleeping with the blesser. As absurd the concept is, it is very much popular in South Africa.

The story starts with the main protagonist Bontle Tau describing her life as an amazing businesswoman with blessers at her feet. Earning good by her hair extension business
Shanice Singh
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up expecting a nice, fun, light-hearted read. And it was. Until it wasn't.
Bontle Tau is a twenty-something (her age changes throughout the book so I don't even know if she knows her real age) who is living "the life".
She has a business, lives in a penthouse, drives an expensive car and uses designer clothing. As she mentions throughout the book, she may not have a degree but she has street smarts.
She also has several blessers.
I loved how over the top Bontle's life was. I flew throu
Phindile Mthimunye
Blessed Girl
Angela Mokholwa
There’s just something about this book that gets you hooked.
Basically you get so angry because everything seems so obvious in the book but you continue in anyway because you are already hooked.

The book is about a young woman who is just out there in the big City trying to make it by living off sugar daddies. I am mean she literally has to juggle life with three sugar daddies. I think in the beginning one fails to understand the type of person she is but as the book co
Lebogang Mokwene
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A true page turner. It seemed frivolous at first with Bontle narrating the details her opulent lifestyle sponsored by her blessers (old and rich married men) but soon realised it is full of 'substance' .

This book has many more layers than just a simple blesser blessee relationship. Substance abuse, poverty, mental illness and family dynamics are some of the themes in the story.

I had mixed feelings about Bontle's chosen career and how her life panned out. An emot
Andiswa M
mmh not sure if rating this book immediately after reading it is the best of things to do but anyway here it goes.At first it felt like a tweeter feed or insta posts. i mean the title is quite literal you can almost guess what you are going to read about but as a reader I expected more.As colourful a character as Buhle is something was missing for me, ofcause everything that could ever go wrong went wrong a little too far fetched or over the top. I didnt not like the almost preachy tone that kep ...more
Nonhlanhla Radebe
The book was very nice and engaging. It was written in first person and Angela made me visual Bontle’s life to the finest detail.

The ending was rushed. I feel like I had to fill in some blanks for myself. It would have been nice to know where everyone that was in her life wounded up. All in all, GREAT book.

• Mother, Crone, Maiden
  • Slipping: Stories, Essays, & Other Writing
  • Nineveh
  • Endings and Beginnings
  • Mother to Mother
  • Sweet Medicine
  • The Mall (Downside, #1)
  • Eyebags & Dimples
  • The Polygamist
  • Happiness is a four-letter word
  • The Yearning
  • Zulu Wedding
  • Life Overflowing, 6-in-1: 6 Pillars for Abundant Living
  • Shirley, Goodness & Mercy: A Childhood in Africa
  • Thabo Mbeki: The Dream Deferred
  • The Number: One Man's Search for Identity in the Cape Underworld and Prison Gangs
  • Bare: The Blesser’s Game