Start by marking “This Might Hurt a Bit” as Want to Read:
This Might Hurt a Bit

This Might Hurt a Bit

Kirby Burns is about to have the second worst day of his life.

Tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of the worst day of his life, and in the three hundred and sixty-four days since then he hasn’t stopped running: from his family, his memories, and the horse-sized farm dogs that chase him to the bus stop every morning.

But he can’t run forever.

Kirby and his friends PJ and Jak
Published June 4th 2019 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Start your review of This Might Hurt a Bit
John Shannon
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Authors: please stop it with the "boy character is humiliated by bullies in to wearing a dress" bit. It's regressive and outdated ...more
Lisa
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
This is a bro book if there every was one: crazy pranks, evading bullies and getting into LOTS of trouble, yet here I am. Having fully loved this book.

I appreciated that the story had so much depth - Kirby is dealing with the anniversary of his sister's death. That is the underlying thread that weaves through the book, making it bigger than just three friends who get into a TON of boyish hijinks.

The humor in this book is what truly pulled me through - I actually laughed out loud probably every
Carolyn Elaine
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 stars

The worst day of his life is approaching, and Kirby is not ready for it. He's really not ready for it, and his parents want to talk to him about it, which might just set him over the line. So, instead, Kirby decides to cow paint with his two best friends, PJ and Jake. What starts as simply painting cows starts a chain reaction of events at school the next day, making it the second worst day of his life. When will Kirby get a break? In Doogie Horner's, This Might Hurt a Bit, follow
Jacob Flores
May 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
I feel like they could have done more with the ending but this book truly shows what happens when you bottle up the loss of a loved one. 9.5/10
Carrie Martin
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vivid, funny, clever and emotional. Love the writing style.
caitlin e.
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review copy of Edelweiss.

Full disclosure: I know Doogie so I may be biased!

Balancing the seriousness of it being the anniversary of his sister’s death and high school rural hijinx, Kirby and his two diametrically opposed best friends spend a fun evening having an adventure and then suffer the brutal consequences from school bullies and administrators alike the next day. This book is a spiritual successor to John Green’s geeky but fun books, and has so many one liners to laugh at.
Jen
Oct 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get through this one. I kept waiting for something to happen, but it was just a lot of HS boy shenanigans and I stopped reading. ...more
Amanda Shepard (Between-the-Shelves)
Read my full review at between-the-shelves.com!

Thanks to NetGalley and Simon Pulse for providing me with an early copy of this book to review!

I'll start with the good: there are a lot of funny lines in this book. Kirby's voice is unique; while it's difficult to follow his train of thought at times, he's overall a funny guy. He tries to make light of what's happening to him, despite the fact that he's struggling more with his sister's death than he's letting on. It's this suppression of emotion t
Ari
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ari by: My Librarian
Shelves: favorites
This was easily my most FAVORITE book ever.
I don't know how to explain it. I got this sheer adrenaline rus through everything that went on and the violence. Also, most of this review is having spoiler tags because of this -_-

Jake was easily my favorite character. His slick hair and easy going attitude is what I really like most about characters, so he ranked high. (view spoiler)
Tony
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Net Galley for the ARC. I have been reading this in fits and starts for about a month. At first I just blamed laziness, but I realized that the book spun out of control and I just couldn't get back into it. I thought Kirby had some genuinely funny lines and I laughed out loud a lot. As the book progressed though, I realized it was essentially a YA version of Alexander's rotten, no good very bad day. The whole book happens in essentially one day with heavy dose of flashbacks and fantasy ...more
Lilia
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This Might Hurt A Bit is definitely one of the best books I have ever read. The book has Hilarious pranks, action and suspense. It also features a lot of sad and serious moments to counter it. Doogie Horner is a brilliant writer, he was able to make all the characters so relatable, but make them unique too. I like this book mainly because of the emotion you get from it. There are really sad part’s, and then there are parts that will make you laugh out loud. The book is extremely descriptive, whi ...more
Sherman Hayes
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite character in this book is henry he is really funny and love his friends. my favorite event was when they went to go prank a farmer by dying the cows red with koolaid and out of no where there was a big bull that came out of no where and attacked them and they had to run as fast as possible away and almost died. I loved the way how the author wrote this book because of the way he described everything and was soo descriptive it was amazing. I think the pass was a little slow but I like ...more
Blts
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written book that unfurls seamlessly. It reminded me of the way a John Irving novel unfolds. So many unnoticed little pieces lead to the ending. The suspense ratchets up with each chapter so that when something predictable happens you are relieved and also recognize the predictable as meaningful rather than contrived. Also if you know a teenaged boy who doesn’t love reading, this might just be the cure.
Tara
May 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-copyright
Kirby and his friends PJ and Jake have an adventure one night that leads to a school day with loads of unexpected consequences. While the mishaps are believable and the pranks will resonate with some small town readers, I didn't find any of the characters to be engaging. The characters weren't very likable, and the ending didn't provide enough depth to redeem Kirby. ...more
Alicia
Apr 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: male, friendship, family
A boy and his family ripped apart by the illness death of the sister. That's what the book is for over 300 pages without much to truly intrigue me (even with the dad being a pilot for small prop planes), but nothing happened except sadness and anger. ...more
B
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book about the process of grief. Kirby lost his older sister to cancer a year ago, now after a move and new school Kirby is being chased by bullies and forced by his parents to confront the grief that is consuming them.
Chelzea
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book somehow managed to tackle the sadness of a kid repressing his grief over a loved one while still managing to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. I want to be friends with all three of these boys (even Jack, who’d probably stab me with a gravity knife).
JoLynn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
thought the process of how Kirby felt emotions was very relatable. A teen who loses loved ones will hurt the most and therefore do silly things.

The dress thing was too much and overused in books and moves. but other than that I liked it.
E'in Nadh
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, arcs
Kinda funny at some parts but other than that, just boys being boys and one of them in particular having a bad fucken day. Appreciate the grief not being a WHOLE part of it
WeAreGiants
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
firkin marvellous. quite possibly my favourite stand-alone book.
Nidhi
Apr 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
Jill Wagner
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jill
I really liked this book! I just want to give Kirby a hug so many times throughout. It was funny and sad. The narrator on the audio was fantastic, capturing all the characters perfectly.
Francis
May 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: came-soon-18-20
With some humorous and exciting moments, this book was mostly small-minded, disappointing, and unnecessary.
Stephanie Grandstaff
3.5 I liked the characters and the most of the story line but it seemed to be too far fetched which made my rating go down.
Carrie
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun little adventure in the worst 24 hours of Kirby’s life. So much boyish bravado, dumb stuff, and beating each other up. Funny with a little tenderness at the core.
John Worpenberg
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me, don,t give up on it.
Debi G.
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
If there is such a category as “books for boys,” this fits. Action, humor, shame, humiliation, fear, fighting, rule-breaking...
I’ll be recommending it in a book talk for my students.
chloe
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
catches the hijinks of high school within a single book in a way i really enjoyed. five stars. and mr. doogie, i give you my condolences for having such a unique name.
Luke Giordano
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five stars because I know the author but also a very funny and good book!
Carla A
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not adverse to a little violence I like to viddy well a bit of the ultra violence but this title pushes the limits FOR SURE.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
2020 SQHS Your Li...: This Might Hurt A Bit by Doogie Horner 3 7 Jun 10, 2019 11:07AM

• Barely Missing Everything
  • Kind of a Big Deal
  • Past Perfect Life
  • Jackpot
  • Where We Go From Here
  • Unnatural Disasters
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • The Removed
  • Monstrous (Monstrous, #1)
  • Call It What You Want
  • Starworld
  • Tigers, Not Daughters
  • The Gravity of Us
  • The Queen's Assassin (The Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Highfire
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Dragon Hoops
  • 10 Blind Dates
Doogie Horner is the author of This Might Hurt a Bit, Some Very Interesting Cats Perhaps You Weren’t Aware of, Everything Explained Through Flowcharts, A Die Hard Christmas, and other books. His comedy album A Delicate Man was an AV Club staff pick. He won over a hostile NYC audience on America’s Got Talent and is a frequent guest on Doug Loves Movies.

(source: Amazon)