Start by marking “Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens” as Want to Read:
Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens

Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens

Perpetually awkward Nima Kumara-Clark is bored with her insular community of Bridgeton, in love with her straight girlfriend, and trying to move past her mother’s unexpected departure. After a bewildering encounter at a local festival, Nima finds herself suddenly immersed in the drag scene on the other side of town.

Macho drag kings, magical queens, new love interests, and
Expected publication: May 7th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Nov 17, 2017 marked it as releases-2019
queer brown girl learning about drag and nightlife seems like a really good concept thanks
madeline ♡
Feb 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtqia
WHOA WHOA WHOA. HOLD UP.

did someone just say biracial queer girl because THAT’S ME AND I’M ALL FOR IT.
Billie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite good, but I felt the storyline about Nima's mother was under-developed and poorly resolved. And, maybe it's just me, but "Winnow" is an odd name and no one commented on it at all, which felt very weird. (5 stars for Winnow as a character though. And five fabulous stars for Deidre.)
Nichole
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical, heart-felt, and wholly relatable to the LGBTQ community, this book will prove to be a standout debut in a sub-genre of novels gasping for a champion. I love the thoughtfulness with which this story is told and the care put into the characters no matter how big or small their role. Also, I love Nima the most!!!!!!
ellie
Feb 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
holy shit? am i reading this right? a desi girl whos queer? this has HIGH hype for me now even though i know NOTHING about drag so this will be interesting
Mariana Calderon
An #ownvoices book:
Kings, Queens, & In-betweens by Tanya Boteju
May 7th release

I came across this books while searching through 2019 releases for Lgbtq+ YA for my queer teen book club. (PS I just need to let y'all know that my store is called Second Star to the Right Books and thus I named the club Not-So-Straight On 'Til Morning)
Biracial queer girl exploring drag & nightlife is a niche I was very excited to see checked!

6/10

This book is a balm to soothe the soul - with glitter, and spar
Carolina
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge, arc
I freaking loved this book. My only minor complaint is that it wasn't longer? But also I'm glad it ended where it did because it left me with a nice feeling of "yeah, I think everyone is going to be alright".

As a main character, Nima is a delightfully real teenager with a mess of issues that she needs to tackle in the path to figuring herself out. I definitely found myself rooting for her to get it all figured out (or at least less of a mess). The supporting characters in her story are just as e
Joseph Crupper
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hi.
I wanted this to be good, and I thought the concept was very fun. I tried to get through my advanced reader as my first book of 2019 and have decided to stop. I felt the prose was amateurish. I think that this novel was resting on its representation laurels too much. I can’t judge it too harshly because I barely got halfway through, but after reading the last chapter, I didn’t expect the journey Nima was going on to be worth my time.
😕
TLDR felt like a polished first draft (and maybe it was cau
Nikki S
Oct 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
*10/12/2018*
HOW IS THIS COVER/TITLE SO AMAZING?!?
Artemis Saatchi
Oct 26, 2018
Fanna
Jan 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
|| Half-Indian MC (Biracial)
|| Macho drag kings & magical queens

Kim
Camryn
Elizabeth Chesak
Nov 20, 2017
Tanya Boteju is an English teacher and writer living on unceded territories of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations (Vancouver, Canada). She believes feminism, diversity, committed educators, sassy students, and hot mugs of tea will save the day. She is also grateful for her patient wife who builds her many bookshelves! Tanya may have been a drag king in her well-spent youth an ...more