Start by marking “Something Like Gravity” as Want to Read:
Something Like Gravity

Something Like Gravity

For fans of Love, Simon and Eleanor and Park, a romantic and sweet novel about a transgender boy who falls in love for the first time—and how first love changes us all—from New York Times bestselling author Amber Smith.

Chris and Maia aren’t off to a great start.

A near-fatal car accident first brings them together, and their next encounters don’t fare much better. Chris’s g
Published June 18th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Something Like Gravity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Like Gravity

Larry H
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars.

"It's hard to figure out what you're supposed to be when you've never even really known who you were in the first place—that was something I'd realized only recently. Something I didn't think my friends would understand. After all, I looked the same and dressed the same and talked the same as I always had. But I wasn't the same."

Chris and Maia meet for the first time when he almost hits her with his car. Neither one is really paying attention, but both feel some sort
Elena
Dec 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
amber smith writing about a trans boy falling in love for the first time???

please just throw this book at my face i need it
this book has been thrown at my face today and i can’t wait to start it
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Amber Smith has such a mesmeorizing way with words - I'm immediately enraptured and invested. Something Like Gravity is a beautiful love story between two people who are healing after their own personal tragedies. I thought Chris and Maia had some of the best chemistry I've ever read in YA. I was so invested in their relationship and I just loved seeing them spend time together and grow closer. Even beyond the romance, seeing each of them grow as people past their fears was so inspiring. There w ...more
Adalee Gellar
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, bittersweet young love story that examines the challenges of grief and otherness that face teens. This novel opens up human experiences and teaches compassion and understanding throughout its pages.

I was given the opportunity to read the final draft of this novel and I highly recommend it to all readers. The overall book follows thematic lines of kindness, understanding and self-exploration that are so vital to the young growing older and the older seeking to understand the younger.
Hilly
Sep 04, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
IT’S AMBER SMITH’S NEW BOOK. I WANT IT NOW.
Isaiah
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

Lets start with the cover. It looks like a lesbian romance novel. Chris does not pass in this picture. Why do I point this out? Chris passes 100% f the time in the book without any questions by anyone. He temporarily moves to a new town and NO ONE ever says or does anything that implies that he doesn't pass as 100% male 100% of the time. One character asks if he is gay, but that is the closest it gets. I know many guys that
ellie
Jan 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
love, simon + amber smith = the way to my heart tbh
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Something Like Gravity by Amber Smith is a contemporary novel all about first love. The characters are dynamic, and the topics are hard-hitting. This is a perfect novel for fans of Becky Albertalli to add to their summer TBRs.

This book tells the story of Chris, a transgender boy who falls in love for the first time, and Maia, a girl who has recently lost her sister. Both characters deal with hardship, and the story is ultimately about their self-discovery and journ
Nik
This review contains spoilers. I have formatted the review to hide them, however they might still show up for mobile users, so proceed with caution.

NOTE: I was going to wait for publication day to post this review because of spoilers, however I am pretty angry so I need to get this out.

Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll admit that this book took me much longer than it should’ve for me to finish, but I believe it directly cor
Aly
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june2019, 2019
I enjoyed this book, especially because it had a FtM transgender character. I feel like there aren't enough books with transgender main characters and the way this was written was great. The rocky relationship Chris had with his mom felt real, obviously not all parents accept their trans kids, but Chris's mom had the potential to come around.
Also the relationship between Maia and Chris was great, they both had secrets they were afraid to share. The alternating points of view helped give this mo
Dylan
3 stars.

3 stars is NOT a bad rating for me. I think this book has a ton of merit to it, but it needed some more editing (too much details about things that don't really matter) and I didn't really feel like there was much of a plot?? and there was a plot point that made me feel a bit icky, but I'm probably just being picky.

I can't say for sure if the trans rep is good since I'm not trans, but I didn't see any glaring problems.

Trigger warnings for slight transphobia, death of a family member, ass
Kelsie Pates
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Maia, Summer means working at her crappy job, dealing with her divorced-but-still-live-together parents, and trying to reconnect with the memory of her older sister, Mallory, who passed away unexpectedly. But then Chris shows up, moves in next door, and makes her fall in love with him. Or at least, that's how it seems. Chris is staying with his aunt for the Summer because living in a small town for a few months is definitely easier than facing his parents who can't seem to fully accept the f ...more
☼Shannon☼
Without the dead sister and being transgender, its a cute summer romance. With it though it becomes something extraordinary.

Told from both the POV's of Maia and Chris we get to see their romance blossom and hide their secrets. I loved getting in Chris's head, I don't really know all that much about being transgender. I also liked watching Maia take her sister's camera and try to see what she saw, in an effort to feel closer to her.
❄Elsa Frost❄
LGBT+ rep? Particularly representation of a transgender person who's the main character of this book?? I repeat: the main character?? I'm down! It's about time the wide diversity of the LGBTQ+ community (among all of our marginalized communities) is represented in literature, movies, etc.
maya (currently partying in ethiopia 🇪🇹 on semi-hiatus) b
a soft sweet mellow story about a trans boy finding someone who loves him at the right time and the right place for who he is.
Te De
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
"If you've always been defined, not as a full-fledged person, but solely as another person's polar opposite, and that person no longer exists, do you also cease to exist?"

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I thought Something Like Gravity would have some scientific elements regarding space and the stars, but those references were few and far
Cindy
There is so much going on in here. A bit too much! Death, grief, parents who can't parent, lying, actual trauma. Do we have to have YA novels filled with so much conflict that it leaves you dizzy trying to figure out who the protagonist is. I think that's part of the problem. I felt like I was being forced to want to root for Maia. So many hints were dropped about "who she used to be" but we never get to see which that was. I ended up feeling like she was living a life and had this poor me attit ...more
Deanna (Deanna Reads Books)
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
I haven't read a lot of books with trans characters as the main character, so Something Like Gravity was interesting to me because I really want to see diverse characters in books. This book does deal heavy with Chris' challenges in being trans and tackles a lot of the struggles he goes through. It also tackles him falling in love for the first time, with a girl like Maia who is having her own struggles with grief.

I'm not tra
Robin
I received an arc of this from Simon and Schuster via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This book is wonderful and important and I drank up every word ❤❤❤

Summary
After a terrible year, and coming out as transgender Chris needs an escape. So he goes to stay with his aunt in a small town. His first day there, he almost runs over his new neighbor, Maia. Maia is battling her own demons after the recent and sudden death of her older sister. The two of them form and bond and slowly heal the wou
Dia
Dec 02, 2018 marked it as 2019-releases

reads For fans of Love, Simon and immediately adds to TBR

also, a trans main character
Bookworm LLC
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
I LOVE AMBER SMITH!

Something Like Gravity is a book about transgender and how it affects family as well as friendships, but especially the individual themselves.
I feel Ms. Smith caught the emotions well of what it's like for a transgender person to live in today's world. The bullying they go through and how they handle it whether it be taking things with a grain of salt because you are who you are or if it gets as bad as suicide.
People are who they are and should not be judged because they are
Susan Kowalski
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god! I’m blown away! I LOVED Something Like Gravity! I brought your book to Jamaica with me and couldn’t stop reading it! It made me laugh, cry, wonder, think, and almost every other emotion there is. You are an unbelievably artistic writer! The book made me feel like I was truly a part of Chris and Maia’s lives. I am so, so proud of you!
Simon
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh dang, I finished this a minute ago but didn't update Goodreads. Thanks to publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved it. Speaking as a trans guy and a young adult librarian this book nails it in a way that didn't feel exploitative. I wish I had it when I was a teenager.
Chastity
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this book from the first page and was captivated the entire time by the emotions woven into such amazing story telling. Despite dual perspectives, the writing never loses its flow and instead gains something from the constant back and forth.
Matt Pavloff
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon (but it was fantastic!)
Rachel León
Disclaimer: I received a digital advance review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I literally read "for fans of Eleanor and Park" and requested it. I'm on a YA kick right now and I felt I could go for a novel of that sweet, but poignant feel. I was all in. I read it was a love story featuring a transgender character and hoped for the best. I love seeing representation of trans characters in fiction, but didn't realize until I started reading that this author is not transgender
Karen Montalvo
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris, a transgender boy, finds himself spending the summer in a small town with his aunt, while his parents cannot seem to stay on the same page regarding Chris’s gender identity. While his aunt, Isobel, is a wonderful support system in his life, Chris fears that his parents’ marriage is crumbling and that he’s the one to blame. Chris hopes to get away and find peace in a place where no one knows who he is. While away, Chris has a run-in with the girl who lives next door, and she makes him feel ...more
Kimberly (kimberly_reads)
Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to read Something Like Gravity in exchange for a honest review!!

This story is one I’ll be thinking about for a long time. Chris and Maia as characters were so well written and real that I could truly see their summer unfold as the book went on. I really appreciated getting to see how Maia’s family handled her sister’s death and how grief is a complicated thing that we (as people in general) find difficult to understand and come to terms with.

I found the en
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Full Disclosure
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Hold My Hand (One Man Guy, #2)
  • All We Could Have Been
  • Going Off Script
  • Technically, You Started It
  • Wherever We Are
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
Amber Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of the young adult novels The Way I Used to Be, The Last to Let Go, and Something Like Gravity. An advocate for increased awareness of gendered violence, as well as LGBTQ equality, she writes in the hope that her books can help to foster change and spark dialogue surrounding these issues. She grew up in Buffalo, New York, and now lives in Charlo ...more