Start by marking “The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)

The Book Charmer

(Dove Pond #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  8,278 ratings  ·  1,794 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Karen Hawkins crafts an unforgettable story about a sleepy Southern town, two fiercely independent women, and a truly magical friendship.

Sarah Dove is no ordinary bookworm. To her, books have always been more than just objects: they live, they breathe, and sometimes they even speak. When Sarah grows up to become the librarian in her qu
Published July 30th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Book Charmer, please sign up.
Carrie Read that the author is working on the next one, this was Dove Pond #1...so sequel to happen.

·  8,278 ratings  ·  1,794 reviews

Start your review of The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
Debra
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

"But that's the beauty of a book. It can take you places you can't visit on your own, lets you meet people and see things you can't in real life."

Sarah Dove has a gift (all of the Dove sisters do!). Books speak to her, they tell her who needs to read them, they don't tell her why, but they are never wrong. As the town librarian, she places books and readers together. Then one day a book tells her about the arrival of Grace Wheeler. The books whisper to Sarah that Grace will be the one
Kendall
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2019
This was the best magical escape I could have asked for!! I just LOVED this book!

Have you ever read a book and was so completely sad that you finished the last page? Well.. this was that for me! I was savoring every moment and didn't want it to end!

I would love to live in this special town of Dove Pond. Sarah Dove is the librarian for Dove Pond and what a librarian she is. She lives, breathes, and even talks to the books. Her wonderful gift is to place each book into the hands of the correct rea
Jayme
4.5 magical ⭐️S!

But, Grace only plans to s
☕️Kimberly
New York Times, Best-Selling Author, Susan Anderson called The Book Charmer, “A mesmerizing fusion of the mystical and the everyday” and I think she sums it up perfectly. I completely slipped into the everyday affairs of this quaint town and its struggles as I embraced the mystical qualities of the Dove’s and community.

Our story begins when we meet the seventh daughter of the Dove family, Sarah Dove. Legend has it that good things happen to the town of Dove Pond when the seventh daughter is born
Jenny (Reading Envy)
It might be because we have been slowly rewatching Parks and Rec at our house, but this book ended up feeling like a combination of Gilmore Girls (small town culture only in NC mountains) and Parks and Rec (city planner saving the town with festivals and committees and more.) The book starts out focuses on a different character and feel than where it ends up because at the beginning it's all about this family that goes way back and the seventh daughters have magical abilities. The librarian is o ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Friendship, Alzheimer’s and Saving Small Town America

The Book Charmer swept through the book community last year. Bloggers raved about this gem with the perfect combo of sleepy Southern town, independent women and a magical friendship. I was curious.

The Book Charmer starts with double prologues, one for two of the POV characters. This was quite surprising. As a writer myself I find that too much pre-setup distances the reader rather than endears us.

However, after reading about Sarah and Grace as
Leslie Ray
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Dove has a gift for giving a person the right book which will be exactly what they need. Grace Wheeler is new to Dove Pond. However, she has ties there through her ailing foster mother, who she has returned with along with her niece, who is also struggling with the death of her mother.
Grace, as we come to see, will be the savior of this town, prodded by Sarah who has been "listening" to the whispers of her books that someone is coming to help and revive Dove Pond its previous glory. I woul
Christopher
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
The Dove sisters have always seemed magical, so it’s no real surprise when books begin conversing with Sarah Dove. As the town librarian for Dove Pond, it’s a handy skill— the books tell her exactly what every reader needs. And when the books begin rumbling about the arrival of a new resident, Grace Wheeler, Sarah knows a savior has finally come to break Dove Pond’s string of bad luck. But Grace has no intentions of becoming an active denizen— she’s just there for a year to take care of her sick ...more
Bam cooks the books ;-)
*4.5 stars rounded up! A lovely story about the residents of a small NC town named Dove Pond, which is struggling to survive in these modern times. Among the townspeople is Sarah Dove, who is the last of seven sisters which is considered to be a lucky sign. Can she save the town? She is the librarian but everyone knows she is also a book charmer. What is that, you ask? Books speak to her so she knows which book a person needs, although maybe not just WHY they need it!

To this town comes Grace Wh
Stephanie Nicholas
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adored this book! So charming indeed! RTC!
Jacqie
Sep 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thanks to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book for review.

I'm a fan of Sara Addison Allen and have been hoping for another book like "Garden Spells" for a long time. This one seemed to tick all the boxes- quirky Southern town, magical realism (plus magic books!), women who learn to rely on each other. Why not try it?

I will answer my own question. The book is slow, bland as unsalted butter, and I didn't care about the characters. I will give detail:

The pace of the book is glacial, and I do
Amanda Hupe
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways, 2020-reads
I won The Book Charmer by Karen Hawkins last year on a Goodreads Giveaway. The book came out last July and sadly, I just got around to reading it. My TBR pile is no joke. This charming little story is the first book in the Dove Pond Series. Grace and her sister, Hannah are foster children. Grace has made it difficult to stay in a home. When they are placed in Mama G’s care everything changes. Years later, Grace, Mama G, and Hannah’s daughter Daisy arrive at their temporary home in Dove Pond. Han ...more
Obsidian
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. This was so good. I am so happy that Hawkins has turned this into a series because I fell in love with all of the residents of Dove Pond, especially Sarah Dove.

The book starts off being about her and then we switch gears to follow a new resident of Dove Pond, Grace Wheeler and her family. We don't know what it is about Grace, but apparently one of the books that talks to Sarah Dove tells her that Grace is going to be important to Dove Pond and needs to stay forever. Too bad that Grace has p
Tina
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
I have to say this books cover is so pretty and that is why I got this book. I did also love reading this book. I did not know this book was apart of a series, but it is book 1 in the Dove Pond series. I will be getting book 2. This book is mainly about saving the town Dove pond. There is magical realism in this book. Books talks to Sarah the towns librarian. I think it was a fun book with a little romance at the end. I fall in love with the books characters. Great book.
David Eppenstein
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Well I've done it again. I picked up a book solely on the expectation that it was a book whose plot would revolve around books. Again, I was wrong. Books do play a part in this story but it is a relatively minor part. I can't say that I was deceived. I'm just an easy mark for any book with "book" in the title. I guess when it comes to my fictional book selections I'm a bit careless but, nevertheless, I am giving this book 3.5 stars. It's a good book and worth reading but it's not great. It's def ...more
Sherwood Smith
A cozy small town book with a hint of magic, this was a lovely spring read (and will be an equally lovely summer read).

Though titled The Book Charmer, Sarah, the librarian with whom books speaks is not really the main character. She's important to the story, but she takes second seat to Grace, who has the main story arc.

It begins with both girls when young, setting their background, then shifts to the present day when go-getter Grace, who has never had a friend, finds herself the guardian not on
Carrie
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will miss Dove Pond and all of my new friends terribly.
This book has all of my favorite things:
magic, books, a small town, romance, friendship, family drama, sisters, women in leadership positions, cats, and books —- wait, did I say that twice? The blurb on this book mentions Sarah Addison Allen and Practical Magic, and that’s spot on. The dialogue is so believable, it feels like eavesdropping.
This poet, gooey warm cookie of a book had better have a sequel.
Dianne
There is warmhearted magic in the small town of Dove Pond and it is all because of the Dove family. The current custodian of the town is librarian Sarah Dove, who lets books talk to her, tell her who needs them and what she should do, cryptically, of course. Who know what will happen when Sarah follows their orders, but it is always for the good of the town and especially the people who live there.

Lately the books have talked about a stranger coming to town, Grace Wheeler, who has her hands full
Jayme
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 magical ⭐️S!

Sarah Dove is the librarian of Dove Pond, but she is no ordinary librarian. Books are more than just objects to her: they live, breathe, and sometimes they even speak. Her gift is to place each book in the hands of the correct reader. But, recently they have been whispering about the arrival of Grace Wheeler. If the books are right, (and they haven’t been wrong yet!) Grace, the new town clerk will be the savior of this financially strapped, dying town.

But, Grace only plans to s
Nicole Chinnici
The Book Charmer was aptly named as it was, in fact, quite charming.

The combination of a small town setting, quirky characters, and a slightly magical quality come together nicely in this story. Its two main characters are Sarah, the town librarian to whom books speak, and Grace, who moves to Dove Pond with her ailing foster mother and niece. Although the book is titled after Sarah, Grace’s story is the main focus. That being said, these two characters foil each other as they get to know each ot
Myrna
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Book Charmer was charming! Will continue the series.
Rebecca
Ever since Sarah was seven years old, she's been able to hear books talk, so it's fitting that she works as a librarian in the small town of Dover Pond, North Carolina where she grew up.

"Sarah Dove is a book charmer... she knows what book everyone should have."

Lately, however, the books have been talking about newcomer Grace. Why are the books so interested in Grace, you ask, and what else do they have to say? Read this charming novel to find out!

This magical story cast a spell on me from the
Ellery Adams
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
JenLovesBooks
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book! Everything about it, made me fall more and more in love with it. I'm not one to read many books of this genre, or even complete them, but I found myself immersed deeply in these characters' journeys. And, enough love to want to pick up more books like it. Why not? Maybe, just maybe, I've been missing out on tons more like it.

Like I mentioned above, I don't normally read stories like this one, because they don't catch my attention as much. But, the minute I saw the cover, and
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
2.5 STARS - I'm a sucker for a gorgeous cover and a story that has a library in it so The Book Charmer clearly fit the bill. Based on the blurb I was expecting a magical realism-type read with a strong Sarah Addison Allen vibe. But what I got was a very light, contemporary fiction story that needed a lot more oomph and direction to its plot and depth to its characters.

On the outside, this book ticks all the boxes: big issues (Alzheimer's PTSD, loss, foster care ...), a big cast of characters an
Tracey Anderson
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A charming story with a small town setting, quirky neighbors and a little magic. What more could you want? I loved it.
Carol
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes that maybe this would finally be the author and the book that would fill that Sarah Addison Allen hole in my reading life. Alas, it was not to be. Great concept, just not enough sweet wisps of magic to satisfy my needs.

The title is "The Book Charmer" and the book charmer is Sarah Dove, who's the seventh sister in her magically-inclined family and destined to save the beloved town of Dove Pond. You'd think, then, that this story would be about Sarah and her sisters. Instead, Sara
ⓐⓥⓡⓔⓔ ☞ The Bookish Blonde
I can’t wait to return to Dove Pond in the July ‘20 release of “A Cup of Silver Linings” (Dove Pond #2)!

Sometimes it’s nice to have a sweet, leisurely read...like sipping lemonade on a lazy warm summer’s day. Just one of those feel good reads—a revival for the soul. 😌

I loved this town and its community—the colorful folks. I can’t wait to learn if Grace gets a “new role/job” and if certain individuals “come-together” and how the town may change...

I loved the concept of Sarah and her books but now
Darla
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If a book were to speak to you -- which one would it be? What would its message be? In this new novel, Sarah hears books speaking to her. They choose their next reader and can be quite stubborn. This touch of magic realism enhances the narrative in this sweetly Southern small-town story. I was charmed by both Sarah Dove and Grace Wheeler in this new novel. Will the Dove Pond Social Committee be able to revive the town and save it from extinction? I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did!

Thank
Karen Hayes
A light, charming read for fans of Sarah Addison Allen - I wavered between 3 and 4 stars because despite the book being named for her, our librarian book whisperer is only a minor character in the story, which is clearly the set-up for a town-wide series. Also, the epilogue read like the author was told she'd hit her limit with about 3 or 4 chapters left in her outline. Despite those flaws, I really enjoyed the book and will definitely pick up future installments.

• Midnight at the Blackbird Café
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • The Lost and Found Bookshop
  • The Bookshop on the Shore (Scottish Bookshop, #2)
  • South of the Buttonwood Tree
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • The Library of Lost and Found
  • 500 Miles from You
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Secrets of the Chocolate House (Found Things, #2)
  • What You Wish For
  • The Heirloom Garden
  • I Was Told It Would Get Easier
  • Hello, Summer
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Karen Hawkins writes novels that have been praised as touching, witty, charming, and heartwarming. A native Southerner who grew up in the mountains of East Tennessee where storytelling is a way of life, Karen recently moved to frosty New England with her beloved husband and multiple foster dogs. The Dove Pond books are a nod to the thousands of books ...more

Dove Pond (2 books)
  • A Cup of Silver Linings

News & Interviews

“Don’t you think that’s the beauty of a book? It can take you places you can’t visit on your own, lets you meet people and see things you can’t in real life.” 11 likes
“Love can't cure a broken heart, but it can hold the two sides together while they heal.” 11 likes