Start by marking “Temptation's Darling” as Want to Read:
Temptation's Darling

Temptation's Darling

#1 New York Times bestselling author Johanna Lindsey blends passion and humor in a dazzling Regency-era novel in which a disastrous debutante becomes the toast of the town with a little help from a friend of the Prince Regent’s.

Threatened by powerful enemies, William Blackburn, Earl of Ketterham, lives in exile in the Scottish Highlands with his daughter, Vanessa. When she
Published July 16th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Temptation's Darling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temptation's Darling

Start your review of Temptation's Darling
Mindy Lou's Book Review
It's been a long time since I've read a new Johanna Lindsey book. This reminded me why I love her books and historical romances so much. Her writing just seems so effortless. The flow, the characters, the way she brings humor in her characters. It sucks me in every time.

Temptation's Darling has one of my favorite types of heroines. She's young but mature. Brave, bold but not harsh. She's a tomboy and a lady. The way Vanessa handled so many situations in this book made me a big fan.

I didn't know
MG
Johanna Lindsey has been a prolific author for decades for good reason: she knows how to bring great characters to life while telling an interesting story that grabs the reader's attention and keeps it until the pages run out. This was another of those great stories, and I genuinely enjoyed it.

You know the story: girl (in this case, Vanessa/Nessa/Nessi) grows up like a boy; girl meets boy (Monty) when dressed as boy; boy figures it out; shenanigans ensue! That is a major oversimplification as
Ali
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

My rating is mostly based on the pace. It felt quite slow to me. Perhaps I'm judging it based on previous Lindsey titles, though. Temptation's Darling is really a departure from the feel of her earlier releases.

I did admire the characters. Both the main players were charming and head strong in all the right ways.

However, it was a struggle to keep turning those pages for most of the book. Also, the heat level is really low, which again felt like a departure for a Lindsey title.
Jill
3.5 Stars
Elaine
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love reading Johanna Lindsey, and this is no exception. I do love her stories. Always enjoyable and entertaining, and gripping.
If this writer is new to you, I would suggest reading the Malory series, if you haven't already.
Loved this! 5
Deborah
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Why does a headstrong and willful daughter on an earl want to marry a disrepute rake? To reunite her father with her family. Six years earlier the Earl of Ketterham, William Blackburn, fled England to Scotland with his daughter, Vanessa, to save his family from scandal after killing Henry Rathban in a duel. Henry's brother, wealthy and powerful Lord Albert, gave him a choice, exile or ruination of his family due to the affair between Henry and William's wife, Kathleen. Nessa has finally returned ...more
Sandy
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romances
Tracy Emro
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up.

Lady Vanessa “Nessi” Blackburn has lived in Scotland with her exiled father, the Earl of Ketterham for the last six years, but now she is going to Cheshire to be reunited with her mother and twin sisters and to go to London for the season where she hopes to find a way to lift her father’s banishment.

Montgomery “Monty” Townsend, the youngest son of the Earl of Marlham, retired from the army at his father’s request and out of sheer boredom, started “fixing” potential
Isha Coleman
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Temptation's Darling by Johanna Lindsey

What I find to be most intriguing about a Johanna Lindsey story is not that it is a romance, but that her heroines are statement. Temptation's Darling is not the story of a victim. Vanessa is determined to live on her own terms, despite her sex and because of upbringing. I admire a woman who knows her mind and follows her heart. Vanessa still has much to learn about love, life and adventure. Monty could be the tutor of a lifetime, if pride doesn't get in
Michelle Lindo-Rice
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Vanessa Blackburn has been in Scotland separated from her mother and living with her father. She has to return to England for her season and on her journey home, she meets Montgomery Townsend, a known rake. I have been a Johanna Lindsey fan since my teens and while this book had romance, danger and some intriguing plot lines, it didn't grab as some of her work in the past. For me, it was enjoyable and I loved the relationship between Vanessa and Monty but it wasn't what I would call, ...more
Moon Love
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've been reading and loving Johanna Lindsey's writing for almost 25 years. I was eagerly awaiting Temptation's Darling release but although the story started of wonderfully it lost me almost half way through and never really caught my attention again. It really felt like a Johanna Lindsey-esque novel, like someone was trying to write like Johanna Lindsey, but it didn't feel authentic. The chemistry between the main characters was there, but the passion wasn't.
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Temptation's Darling is a light and easy jaunt into the past with a sweet romance, amusing drama, and enticing characters.

Vanessa Blackburn has been raised by her exiled father for most her life in the wild's of Scotland, with all of the freedom that a boy might have. When she comes of age though, Nessi agrees to return to England and the society world of her mother, no matter how much she may resent it all. If she can find a way for her father to return to his homeland and have her family
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Temptation's Darling by Johanna Lindsey is the story of Vanessa 'Nessi' Blackburn and Lord Montgomery 'Monty' Townsend.
Monty has agreed to leave the army at his father's request but it has lead him to be board with society until he takes up keeping the potential scandals for the Prince Regent under control. Vanessa has lived with her father who left the town due to powerful people and their threats. But now his daughter Vanessa is of age and he has set her back to the town to have a coming out
Kat
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is my first book by Johanna Lindsey, and what a fun ride it turned out to be! I definitely need to dig her books out of my TBR file and move them up.

Lady Vanessa (Nessi) Blackburn lives in the Scottish Highlands with her father, who was forced to leave England six years ago as a result of a duel. Now that Nessi is 19, her father wants her to return to England and to her estranged mother in order to have a Season. She is returning to her mother's country home, dressed as a boy, riding her
D A
johanna lindsey was one of my original "must read" authors when I started reading romance as a teen. it was always a good day when a stop at the bookstore showed a new book by her on the shelves. it didn't matter if time or money where in short supply, she was one of those authors that the book immediately got bought, read, and kept for multiple future reading enjoyment. I haven't read some of her more recent releases, but enjoyed the ones I did. So I was thrilled to get a chance to read an arc ...more
Rosanne Lortz
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Vanessa Blackburn has grown up in Scotland with her father, estranged from her mother and separated from her twin sisters. When she comes of age, she must return to England to have her "season," and hopefully find a husband who doesn't mind her independent spirit. Riding disguised as a gentleman, she falls into company with Lord Montgomery Townsend.

A reputed rake and a satellite of the Prince Regent, Monty has been entrusted with the care of a temperamental and foppish foreigner who has
phoebess
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Temptation's Darling was a full of witty dialogues and entertaining characters. The story was so great, it felt like I was just starting with it when the final chapter appeared.
I was sorry to say goodbye all those great characters and I hope we will see another books related to this one. At least four. Scots and the royal asses, please! *pleading eyes*
Amy
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love a Lindsey! I have been reading her for 30 years and I plan to continue as long as she keeps writing.
Always an easy read, she spins a story that flows with such effortless ease.
The brazen passion seemed to be toned down more than previous stories but I don't think the overall effect of the story suffered for the tameness if it.
Pamela
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Years ago, Vanessa Blackburn's father, William, the Earl of Ketterham, was exiled. Vanessa had chosen to live with her father over her mother, but now he insists she return home to make her debut. Vanessa could care less about London society, but she does eventually want to marry and have a family of her own. Unfortunately, her choice of husband has already been decided by her mother, that is, if Vanessa wants her father to be able to come back home.

Lord Montgomery "Monty" Townsend has long
Leslie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my favorite by Johanna Lindsey. I didn't care for the heroine, Ness, and I also didn't like the hero that much. Could just be my taste but he was silly or something to me. Trying to be funny and always cutting up and saying funny things (not funny to me, but he thought so). I just like more of an alpha hero I guess, which is normally the hero's we get in a JL book. Will definitely read her next book! This one, just not characters I could like.
Alys Baldwin
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Johanna Lindsay has done it again. This is a fantastic story. I got sucked in from the very start of the book. I love getting lost in her worlds. I never want to leave them so for me her books are always way to short.

I just reviewed Temptation's Darling by Johanna Lindsey. #NetGalley
Kathleen Crowell
While Vanessa had a lot of spirit, the story itself had almost none. It dragged on and on. The “sex” scenes were sudden, super rushed and unromantic. I read the sample and was hopeful that the storyline would continue to be interesting after the very beginning but I was sadly disappointed. This was a full price let down.
Steph
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm usually a fan of Johanna Lindsey, but for some reason, I just couldn't get into this book. Nothing against the author! For me, it was long and felt like it took forever to get through it. Everythimg was explained in depth and it couldn't hold my attention. It could just be I'm in a reading slump. I'll probably give it another try later on and that might change this rating. I will continue to read this author and I would recommend this book because the author is a good writer.

***I received a
ObsessiveReader
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Constance Long
Read it, But...

I am so used to her hardcover books prior to kindle. They were much more passionate with historical connections, timing, and intrigue! Had a hard time getting thru this.
D.S.
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Visionary Druid
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Lord Montgomery “Monty” Townsend is the youngest son of an earl. He acts as the Prince Regent’s scapegoat, willingly assuming the royal’s scandals as his own. Monty intends to never marry. While hiding out from trouble, he meets a beautiful yet unorthodox woman. Montgomery cannot understand Vanessa Blackburn’s insistence on marrying the Rathban heir. Against his better judgement, he tutors her on how to attract the reluctant fellow’s attention. Can Monty convince Vanessa not to marry another ...more
Linda Walters
I enjoyed the time that Vanessa was given with her father. It freed her up so much to be herself and not all the rigid society rules of her mother. I also liked the fact that Vanessa or Nessa as she was often called had the gumption to run away with her father. Not that he knew at first that she had smuggled herself aboard with him. It was pretty bold at any time but for her young age it was even more courageous.
I hate to say it but her mother was a twit. But then maybe it was also the way that
Laurie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It's been a while since I've picked up one of Johanna Lindsey's books, and I had forgotten how much fun they can be. "Temptation's Darling" was no exception. I found it to be an enjoyable romp featuring humorous situations and endearing characters.

The heroine, Lady Vanessa Blackburn, was not like other young ladies typical of the Regency period. She preferred wearing breeches to gowns, knew how to shoot a pistol, and wasn't afraid to say whatever was on her mind. Vanessa knew what she wanted
Amy Alvis
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vanessa has returned to England to re-enter society. Her mother thinks that she is there to finally have her season and marry, but her true purpose is to end her father's exile to Scotland. When she learns that her mother has found a way to do this, she agrees to marry the son of the man that exiled her father. But she has to make it seem as if marriage is all his idea or he will never agree to it.

Monty is working on a project for the Prince Regent and this takes him into the household of the
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Met Her Match
  • Seduction on a Snowy Night
  • Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • Cut and Run
  • The Duchess in His Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #4)
  • To Wed a Wild Scot (Besotted Scots, #2)
  • The Beguilement of Lady Eustacia Cavanaugh (The Cavanaughs, #3)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • The Lady Travelers Guide to Happily Ever After (The Lady Travelers Society, #4)
  • The Scotsman Who Swept Me Away (Seven Brides for Seven Scotsmen, #3)
  • The Marquis She's Been Waiting For (The Marriage Game, #9)
  • The Pursuits of Lord Kit Cavanaugh (The Cavanaughs #2)
  • Under Currents
  • Window on the Bay
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey,