Start by marking “Love from A to Z” as Want to Read:
Love from A to Z

Love from A to Z

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  7,126 ratings  ·  1,829 reviews
From William C. Morris Award Finalist S.K. Ali comes an unforgettable romance that is part The Sun Is Also a Star mixed with Anna and the French Kiss , following two Muslim teens who meet during a spring break trip.

A marvel: something you find amazing. Even ordinary-amazing. Like potatoes—because they make French fries happen. Like the perfect fries Adam and his mom use
Published April 30th 2019 by Salaam Reads

To ask other readers questions about Love from A to Z, please sign up.
S.K. Ali
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
S.K. Ali I actually lived in Doha, Qatar for almost a year. And I'D LOVE TO COME BACK FOR A VISIT. (And sign your kindle heheh. :)
…more
(less)
Soulmated by Shaila PatelFighting Fate by Shaila PatelAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirSaints and Misfits by S.K. AliAmina's Voice by Hena Khan
South Asian YA/MG
54 books — 19 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenIt's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned VizziniBefore I Die by Jenny DownhamCrazy For Alice by Alex DunnSign Language by Amy Ackley
YA Illness
75 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

·  7,126 ratings  ·  1,829 reviews

Start your review of Love from A to Z
chai ♡
This book resonated in chambers of my heart I’d never known existed. It stirred memories too deep to claim, and it all poured out of me and onto every surface, taking something vital with it. There is still an expansiveness in my chest that reminds me of how important voices like these are, for readers like us. This feeling is a language all its own: to reach and find, to be reached for and found, to belong to a mutual certainty.

Love from A to Z is one of the most unapologetically Muslim books t
S.K. Ali
Nov 27, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Friends & fellow readers: I have finished writing the book. It is a book full of pain, love, anger, love, joy, and soul -- so much of it being the stuff we Muslims hold inside.
It is hard to share such a book with the world. You wonder if it will be "too much" or whether people will connect and understand.
But then you release the book because you've held on to the hurt for too long. And because you believe there's more love in the world than hate, more hope than fear.
Now, please have some knit
Warda
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Warda by: Sakina (aforestofbooks)
This story was a much needed narrative.
Other than the fact that I didn't fully connect with the writing, this book was pretty perfect in all aspects.

I was getting tired of the books that were getting published that featured Muslim characters for the sake of fulfilling the status quo. I wanted there to be depth to these stories, to showcase what the Muslim identity is and portray the Islamic faith.

Most of the books that are getting published are characters that are just Muslim - there's nothing
Melanie

Fadwa

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

This was the July pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕
Cristina Monica
This was wonderful. I have not read this author’s debut novel – Saints and Misfits – but I immediately added it after closing this book. I’m really happy this didn’t turn out to be a beautiful book on the outside and shallow on the inside.

Actually, while it seems to be mainly a breezy YA summer romance from the cover, I was delighted to discover multiple important themes in the foreground and sometimes lurking beneath the surface, too. Zayneb in particular is very expressive about what she beli
may ➹
The way I jolted hearing a Deep Manly voice suddenly fill my ears when my audiobook switched to Adam’s chapter......

I love Adam and Zayneb as characters so much! I think the author does a really great job of developing them—they both have very distinctive personalities and voices: Adam is super sweet and caring, and learning how to deal with his mother’s death along with his diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. And Zayneb is headstrong and stubborn, with a passion for justice and ensuring that bad p
Hamad
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Make sure that you make the beginning of whatever you begin beautiful.”

🌟 This is not a solid 4 stars read for me, but I decided to be generous as I don’t read many books with great Muslim Representations!

🌟 The writing was good, It was not magical or anything special. I was bothered by the HP references that are now apart of almost every YA contemporary. I feel authors use it to sound cool and relatable but seei
may ❀
this book made me so ridiculously happy oh my heart where was this all my life 😭😭

"this is a love story. you've been warned."

i LOVE the characters so much. zayneb and her stubbornness, her heated personality. her passion for justice and how she took no crap from anyone, what a legend.
adam and his caring, sweet personality. this boy is so soft, his whole being is just caring about his little sister and worrying about his father, my smol son.

this book explores so many issues, zayneb tackling the b
C.G. Drews
Ohhhh, I so so loved this one! It's the kind of contemporary I adore: mixing soft squishiness and family and loveable characters...with harsher issues and deep conversations. It makes and breaks your heart. It so does. It's centred a lot around finding peace vs being validly angry. And the love and care and nuance that went into all the discussions was so palpable (another reason why #ownvoices books are so important).

marvels to love
➢ two POC Muslim teen narrators (who are perfect for each othe
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This book made me shed a tear, and while that may not exactly sound like an impressive feat, you should know that I am an individual who guards their tears as jealously as a dragon guards its hoard. When I first heard about LOVE FROM A TO Z, I was so excited - I was ready to love it for that adoring glance between the hero and heroine on the cover, the hijabi rep, and of course, the promise of a love story unfolding abroad. How romantic.
ALet
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
★★★★/5

This was really good, I really glad I read it.

The story itself was simple, but executed very well. Writing style was simple, not flowery, so it was easy to understand. Because of simplistic style it was a very quick read.

The main characters were interesting and fully formed, had their separate arcs so they were formed outside each other and that definitely helped the story.

On the other hand, because the plot itself was a little bit simple it was a little repetitive. In addition, side cha
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Salaam Reads for the free (gifted) review copy in exchange for an honest review!

Here's my attempt to string together a bunch of sentences about the best thing that has ever happened to me.

*Clears throat* When I heard that a book like this was going to exists I was ecstatic. S.K. Ali wrote a book that made me feel seen. Books featuring Muslim characters are quite rare. I've made it my goal to read as many books centering around Muslims as possible this year. This book right here is
Romie
this book was absolutely incredible, and soft, and pure, and I loved every single moment of it. It's not just a book about two Muslim kids falling for each other, it's about fighting for justice, for what you know is right; it's about standing up for yourself, but also asking if you need help. It's about finding the marvels and oddities of life.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Listening to the audiobook of this one might not have been the best decision because I had a really hard time focusing on what was happening :( I think I'm going to re-read it physically before I post a full review.

TW: Islamophobia, racism, chronic illness, death of a loved one
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2019
tw: racism, islamophobia, xenophobia, death of a loved one (in the past), mentions of rape/honour killings, discussions of victims of war (drone killings), cultural appropriation, chronic illness (multiple sclerosis).

rep: Hijabi, Muslim, biracial MC (dad is from Pakistan and mum's parents are Guyanese and Trinidadian), another biracial MC (mum was Finnish/Canadian and Dad is Chinese/Canadian), lots of diverse side characters (biracial, black and others)

“Never, ever quake in the face of hate,
Arini
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was astounding and deserves so much more love. y’all need to read it!!

✨ 3.75 "LOVELY" stars ✨

i was pretty sure no book could top a very large expanse of sea in my eyes, but holy smokes!! this muslim love story book by this new-to-me author sk ali was cute and beautiful and heartfelt and educational and just overall wholesome. i used to believe that stories like these two would not make an interesting book to read bcs all the restrictions, rules, and laws in islam. but turns out the
Saajid Hosein
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
woo child, the quality.
preoccupiedbybooks
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
What a wonderful book! I couldn't stop listening.
Rtc
alexandra
i enjoyed this so so much :') gave me all the fluffy cute feels as well as intense sadness and rage at all the islamophobia in this world.
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
SO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS BOOK. SO MUCH. SO adorable while also very intense and emotional.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I received an arc of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review

Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

CW: Islamophobia, racist micro-aggression, cultural appropriation, chronic illness, talk of family death, mention of rape, discussion of war and war victims.

Marvel: The fact that Love from A to Z exists.
Oddity: The fact that I already read it and there isn’t any more to the story.

Do you ever go into a book, expect to love it and then…end up loving it even more? Like
Julie Zantopoulos
ARC provided by the publishers and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am not an own voices reader for this novel but I have read the reviews of a few and I love that they believe this story so closely mirrors their own lives and is a reflection of themselves, their culture, and their struggles with Islamaphobia and navigating the world we live in. It honestly makes my heart so happy.

"Never, ever quake in the face of hate, Zayneb."

At the core of this story is Zayneb, a Muslim girl fro
halfirishgrin
This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year and IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT. It was actually somehow so much better than I could have imagined it would be. Just wow. Five stars is not even enough.

The book is told through alternative perspectives of Zeynab and Adam, both of them writing in "Marvels and Oddities" journals of their own. Both of them are Muslim, from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. And they're so different from each other, in the best possible ways.

Zeynab, my absolut
chan ☆
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i can't stop thinking about this book

mostly just the implied fucking in the epilogue (i'm a 13 year old boy)
Christy
Oct 10, 2019 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Not the books fault, but I have a lot going on and I am having so much trouble staying connected to this story. I might come back to it again, not sure.
Acqua
Love From A to Z is the perfect balance of adorable, romantic and real. It's the kind of contemporary that manages to develop a very sweet romance while also talking about painful and heavy topics, without neglecting any of these aspects.

This is the story of Zayneb, a hijabi girl of Pakistani and Caribbean (West Indian, specifically Guyanese and Trinidadian) descent living in America, and Adam, a biracial Chinese-Canadian boy who converted to Islam, as they meet in an airport during their trip t
Hollis
I'm so so mixed on this one. To the point that I didn't even want to leave a review because I just don't know how to put my thoughts together about why this didn't work. But lets give it a go.

This has great representation, though I can't verify the accuracy behind either the Muslim or MS rep, but as it's #ownvoices for the former, I can hope the author was equally careful with the latter, too. But while I appreciated both, and though I found the situations to be charged with the rage and sadness
Hafsah (on hiatus)
Me: I have a confession...I'm feeling quite light-headed.
You (somehow able to hear me): The prospect of results day making you feel ill again?
Me: well yes, but... no, it's because I am OVER THE MOON; gravity's a little weird here...

I'm so happy thanks to this book and it's heart warming story, which has filled a void in my soul. And I'd be lying if I said that wasn't partially due to the good islamic reprisentation and the fact that the book unabashedly tackles issues such as Islamophobia.

"Is
Emer (A Little Haze)
For more reviews and book related chat check out my blog

A great book with a cute love story that also exposes and tackles real world problems...feel like I must be dreaming!

Zayneb is freaking awesome. Wow do I love her. She's unapologetic, feisty, knows her own mind and yet still has all the insecurities that come along with figuring your way in this world. A fabulously authentic character. If only the world were filled with more Zaynebs. Her fight against everyday Islamophobia is incredibl
Sophiesticated ✨
Incredibly cute, inspiring, and passionate. LOVED IT.
SCPL Teens: Love From A to Z Review 1 5 Jul 02, 2020 10:39AM
Challenge Corner: Love From A to Z by S.K. Ali --> Starting March 5th 2020 5 4 Mar 11, 2020 01:36PM

• The Eid Gift: An Adam and Zayneb Story
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • Clap When You Land
  • With the Fire on High
  • Felix Ever After
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Tweet Cute
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • The Henna Wars
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • Slay
  • Frankly in Love
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Voting Booth
  • I Wish You All the Best
S. K. Ali is the author of Saints and Misfits, winner of the 2018 APALA Honor award, the 2017 Middle East Book Honor Award, and a 2018 William C. Morris Award finalist. Her second novel, LOVE FROM A TO Z, a story about finding love in the time of Islamophobia, was an Entertainment Weekly Top Ten Young Adult Book of 2019. She also has a picture book co-authored with Team USA Olympic Medalist, Ibtih ...more

Articles featuring this book

Young love, first love, star-crossed love. YA fiction has brought us some of our very favorite heartbreaks and Happily Ever Afters. For...
“Maybe that's what living is--recognizing the marvels and oddities around you.” 35 likes
“The world is a mysterious place. On the one hand, its size can be measured and recorded and verified. Its marvels and oddities captured in complex, empirical detail.
On the other hand, its size is relative to our mind’s perception of it. Its marvels and oddities only extending to how far our vision goes.
For some of us, this means the world is small, including only those we see as belonging to it. People related to us, people who look like us, dress like us, think like us.
For others, it’s medium-size and includes those we connect to through some similarity, some trait that pings familiarity within, which then allows us to overlook the differences between us and them.
And then there are those who see the world as huge, as the actual size it measurably is.
Huge enough to include vast differences, people with nothing in common with one another except a beating heart and a feeling soul, these two—heart, soul—being the strongest connection between us all.”
16 likes