Start by marking “Love from A to Z” as Want to Read:
Love from A to Z

Love from A to Z

From William C. Morris Award Finalist S.K. Ali comes an unforgettable romance that is part The Sun Is Also a Star mixed with Anna and the French Kiss , following two Muslim teens who meet during a spring break trip.

A marvel: something you find amazing. Even ordinary-amazing. Like potatoes—because they make French fries happen. Like the perfect fries Adam and his mom used
Published April 30th 2019 by Salaam Reads

To ask other readers questions about Love from A to Z, please sign up.
S.K. Ali
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
This book resonated in chambers of my heart I’d never known existed. It stirred memories too deep to claim, and it all poured out of me and onto every surface, taking something vital with it. There is still an expansiveness in my chest that reminds me of how important voices like these are, for readers like us. This feeling is a language all its own: to reach and find, to be reached for and found, to belong to a mutual certainty.

Love from A to Z is one of the most unapologetically Muslim books t
S.K. Ali
Nov 27, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Friends & fellow readers: I have finished writing the book. It is a book full of pain, love, anger, love, joy, and soul -- so much of it being the stuff we Muslims hold inside.
It is hard to share such a book with the world. You wonder if it will be "too much" or whether people will connect and understand.
But then you release the book because you've held on to the hurt for too long. And because you believe there's more love in the world than hate, more hope than fear.
Now, please have some
Lola
This was wonderful. I have not read this author’s debut novel – Saints and Misfits – but I immediately added it after closing this book. I’m really happy this didn’t turn out to be a beautiful book on the outside and shallow on the inside.

Actually, while it seems to be mainly a breezy YA summer romance from the cover, I was delighted to discover multiple important themes in the foreground and sometimes lurking beneath the surface, too. Zayneb in particular is very expressive about what she beli
may ❀
this book made me so ridiculously happy oh my heart where was this all my life 😭😭

"this is a love story. you've been warned."

i LOVE the characters so much. zayneb and her stubbornness, her heated personality. her passion for justice and how she took no crap from anyone, what a legend.
adam and his caring, sweet personality. this boy is so soft, his whole being is just caring about his little sister and worrying about his father, my smol son.

this book explores so many issues, zayneb tackling the b
Melanie

July 10th: (Pages 135 – 207) Adam Sunday March 17
Marvel: Zayneb at the Perfect Place
July 11th: (Pages 208 – 276) Zayneb Tuesday Marc 19
Oddity… And Marvel: Plotters
July 12th: (Pages 277 – End)

➽ Content and Trigger Warnings:
Islamophobia, racist micro-aggression, cultural
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Salaam Reads for the free (gifted) review copy in exchange for an honest review!

Here's my attempt to string together a bunch of sentences about the best thing that has ever happened to me.

*Clears throat* When I heard that a book like this was going to exists I was ecstatic. S.K. Ali wrote a book that made me feel seen. Books featuring Muslim characters are quite rare. I've made it my goal to read as many books centering around Muslims as possible this year. This book right here is wh
Romie
I definitely want to write a full length review for this beautiful, beautiful book, but until I finally find the time to do so (probably after my finals, huh) I just want to say that this book was absolutely incredible, and soft, and pure, and I loved every single moment of it. It's not just a book about two Muslim kids falling for each other, it's about fighting for justice, for what you know is right; it's about standing up for yourself, but also asking if you need help. It's about finding the ...more
Julie Zantopoulos
ARC provided by the publishers and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am not an own voices reader for this novel but I have read the reviews of a few and I love that they believe this story so closely mirrors their own lives and is a reflection of themselves, their culture, and their struggles with Islamaphobia and navigating the world we live in. It honestly makes my heart so happy.

"Never, ever quake in the face of hate, Zayneb."

At the core of this story is Zayneb, a Muslim girl fro
Adiba Jaigirdar
This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year and IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT. It was actually somehow so much better than I could have imagined it would be. Just wow. Five stars is not even enough.

The book is told through alternative perspectives of Zeynab and Adam, both of them writing in "Marvels and Oddities" journals of their own. Both of them are Muslim, from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. And they're so different from each other, in the best possible ways.

Zeynab, my absolut
Saajid Hosein
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
woo child, the quality.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I received an arc of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review

Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

CW: Islamophobia, racist micro-aggression, cultural appropriation, chronic illness, talk of family death, mention of rape, discussion of war and war victims.

Marvel: The fact that Love from A to Z exists.
Oddity: The fact that I already read it and there isn’t any more to the story.

Do you ever go into a book, expect to love it and then…end up loving it even more? Like
arini
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was marvelous and deserves so much more love. y’all need to read it!!

i was pretty sure no book could top a very large expanse of sea in my eyes, but holy smokes!! this muslim love story book by this new-to-me author sk ali was cute and beautiful and heartfelt and educational and just overall wholesome. i used to believe that stories like these two would not make an interesting book to read bcs all the restrictions, rules, and laws in islam. but turns out they’ve brought a lot of crucia
Acqua
Love From A to Z is the perfect balance of adorable, romantic and real. It's the kind of contemporary that manages to develop a very sweet romance while also talking about painful and heavy topics, without neglecting any of these aspects.

This is the story of Zayneb, a hijabi girl of Pakistani and Caribbean (West Indian, specifically Guyanese and Trinidadian) descent living in America, and Adam, a biracial Chinese-Canadian boy who converted to Islam, as they meet in an airport during their trip t
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, to-buy, 2019
AMAZING. GO PREORDER THIS RIGHT NOW. REVIEW TO COME ON RELEASE DAY

Today is the day...Love from A to Z is out in the world! So go out and get it form your local bookstore or borrow it from the library, because this book will absolutely melt your heart and change your life completely!

Okay, now for my review, which I wrote the day after I finished this book:

I stan one contemporary author and that author is S.K. Ali

Where do I even start… My heart feels full. This story will always have a special pla
Hollis
I'm so so mixed on this one. To the point that I didn't even want to leave a review because I just don't know how to put my thoughts together about why this didn't work. But lets give it a go.

This has great representation, though I can't verify the accuracy behind either the Muslim or MS rep, but as it's #ownvoices for the former, I can hope the author was equally careful with the latter, too. But while I appreciated both, and though I found the situations to be charged with the rage and sadness
kav (xreadingsolacex)
disclaimer: i received an arc in exchange for an honest review, this in no way impacted my opinions.

trigger warnings: islamophobia, war

Love from A to Z is S.K. Ali's sophomore novel, a love story between two teens - Zayneb and Adam. Zayneb is spending her spring break, and now her suspension, with aunt in Doha, Qatar. Suspended for taking actions against a notoriously Islamophobic teacher, Zayneb exemplifies justice. Adam, on the other hand, exemplifies peace, and he is back in Doha, Qatar f
Sheharzad ⚘
a muslim love story? bish, i have tears in my eyes. and may 7 isn't that far, right? riGHT?!

also love from a to z? i adore this title because hello. cute name/word play happening here. freakin cute as heck aksjfhd.

description
Kate ☀️ Olson
(free review copy) Fabulous. LOVE FROM A TO Z is a YA "issue" book, through and through. It's also a love story, yes, but this book is not a traditional romance or rom com. The cover is adorable, but it masks the serious nature of the major topics within - Islamophobia, love between two Muslim teens, life as an expat, death of a parent, war crimes, and serious illness.

I loved the unique setting - Zayneb travels from her home in Indiana to Doha, Qatar where her expat aunt works at an internationa
Sana
'The world is a mysterious place. On the one hand, its size can be measured and recorded and verified. Its marvels and oddities captured in complex, empirical detail.
On the other hand, its size is relative to our mind's perception of it. Its marvels and oddities only extending to how far our vision goes.'

PERFECT BOOK IS PERFECT.

More thoughts later aldsgkgdf
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
This review was originally posted on Andi's ABCs
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. The description for Love from A to Z says, “…an unforgettable romance that is part The Sun Is Also a Star mixed with Anna and the French Kiss…”. I was concerned when I read that. Anna and the French Kiss is my all-time favorite book so those are some really big shoes to fill. However, the book sounded too good to
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
. : ☾⋆ — 5 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review (thank you Salaam Reads and Simon & Schuster!!)

OHHHHH if y’all can find a more wholesome, adorable, and WOKE read!! Love From A to Z is a beautiful (and educational!!) love letter to Muslim culture, while also being a harsh reminder of how unjust our world is. it’s stunning and it’s frightening and it’s a marvel AND an oddity all in one.

just a smal
Alexa
Read with Rachel for Friends with ARCs!

I really liked this book! Adam and Zayneb are both such interesting characters and each of their stories was intriguing to read, and I love how it all played out.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Gosh, this was a fun and sweet book! I've said it before, but it bears repeating that I am so picky when it comes to contemporary, and even more so when it comes to romance. But this book hit most of the right notes for me. Let us talk about the things I enjoyed!

•Zayneb was strong-willed and smart and funny, but flawed too. In short, she felt like a very genuine character. Adam was at
Fizah(Books tales by me)
I have been raving about how I want to read this book for so long, I read Saints and Misfits last year and fall in love with the way of storytelling and writing style of S.K.Ali.

I am busy in my master’s exams and got 3 days for preparation for a really hard paper and I choose to spend 6 precious hours reading Love from A to Z, Not a mature decision I know, I wanted to read a few pages then few chapters and like this, I finished it…You know this struggle right?

“Maybe that’s what living is–recogni
Amy Risner
Jun 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

This is the Dragons & Tea Book Club pick for July!

The Dates & Breakdown:

July 8th: Pages 1–68 “Zayneb Saturday March 9. Oddity: Unpredictable Creatures”

July 9th: Pages 69–134 “Adam Tuesday March 12. Marvel: Strangers”

July 10th: Pages 135–207 “Adam Sunday March 17. Marvel: Zayneb at the Perfect Place”

July 11th: Pages 208–276 “Zayneb Tuesday March 19. Oddity… And Marvel: Plotters”

July 12th: Pages 277–End

(Chapter titles & subtitles are included since the chapters aren’t numbered. I ho
nick

The story within Love From A to Z was as lovely as the cover! I was expecting this book to be super cute and shippy, but I wound up being very surprised by how much it also hit me emotionally. It's truly one of the best books I've read so far this year, and it's definitely added S.K Ali to my radar of authors to look out for.

Love From A to Z tells the story of two teens who don't know each other but share a lot in common. Zayneb and Adam first stumble upon each other on a flight to Qatar and the
Rodoreads
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Never, ever quake at the face of hate"

I'm in a puddle of emotions right now. I loved Zaynab's character. She was headstrong and fierce. This book deals with so many things. MS, Islamophobia, Marvels and Oddities. 💙 It was truly one of a kind.
Also Adam was one beautiful boy. I loved him. I loved both of them. The spark was pure and beautiful. ✨
Fatma
I didn't love this, but I thought it was an overall enjoyable story with great ownvoices Muslim rep. I especially liked the framing of Love from A to Z's story, the fact that the story is coming from the Marvels and Oddities journals of its protagonists. The novel also tackles a lot of issues: islamophobia, microaggressions, being diagnosed and living with multiple sclerosis, social justice more generally.

The only reason this gets 3 stars is because I found the development of the dynamic betwee
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Muslim love story! I think! also, cuuuuuuuuuuuuute

• Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Untitled
  • Children of the River Ghost
  • Vampires Never Get Old
S. K. Ali is the author of Saints and Misfits, a 2018 William C. Morris finalist. She lives in Toronto with her family, which includes a very vocal cat named Yeti. Her second novel, LOVE FROM A TO Z, a story about finding love in the time of Islamophobia, was published on April 30, 2019 by Simon & Schuster. She also has a picture book co-authored with Team USA Olympic Medalist, Ibtihaj Muhamma ...more
“Maybe that's what living is--recognizing the marvels and oddities around you.” 4 likes
“Never, ever quake in the face of hate, Zayneb.” 2 likes