Start by marking “Something Old, Something New: Oysters Rockefeller, Walnut Souffle, and Other Classic Recipes Revisited” as Want to Read:

The award-winning, bestselling author of An Everlasting Meal “revitalizes classics and long-forgotten dishes, bringing them into this century with verve and ease” (Bon Appetit) in this “lovely and literary” (Vogue.com) cookbook.

Many dishes that once excited our palates—like oysters Rockefeller, steak Diane, cheese and walnut soufflés—have disappeared from our tables and, i
Published August 6th 2019 by Scribner

Win a Copy of This Book

• Something Old, Something New by Tamar Adler
    Release date: Aug 06, 2019
    **NOW IN PAPERBACK** Enter for a chance to win this "lovely and literary" (Vogue) cookbook from the bestselling author of AN EVERLASTING MEAL.

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 1874 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 25 - Sep 24, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Something Old, Something New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Old, Something New

Judy
    Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book rehashes a great many classic, upscale recipes and provides some history of the dishes which was interesting. Most of the recipes are things I wouldn't ever cook and many I wouldn't even want to eat. I like a lot of different foods, but have to admit I'm not adventurous when it comes to some of these offerings. However, it was interesting to read about the various type of dishes - many of which were served up during the 1950s - 1960s as very special treats. I did notice there were a lo ...more
    Lisa Ks Book Reviews
    Not exactly what I was expecting, yet still very informative. This may just be the cookbook many have been waiting for.
    Gina Mahalek
    Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I am a big fan of Tamar Adler, and regularly consult her previous book, AN EVERLASTING MEAL. Reading Adler's work is like having a witty, worldly, inquisitive, and generous friend--one who is willing to invite you in to her kitchen for a wide-ranging and informative chat and who will then proceed to spoil you with her cooking.

SOMETHING OLD, SOMETHING NEW is at once a personal cookbook, with references to Adler’s mother, brother, husband, and son and nods to their contributions and influences; a
    Melissa Dee
    Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I love reading Tamar Adler. Her ingredients have personalities, and her recipes are as much an exercise in nostalgia as in nourishment. I’m reminded of the food writing of MFK Fisher or Elizabeth David. She follows in the footsteps of those greats, and carefully acknowledges debts to them, and to other food greats like Frank Stitt, Craig Claiborne, John Thorne and the chefs at Cibreo (and thats only in the first 50 pages.)

Finding myself on page 32 , with no oysters in sight, and a pound of hambu
    Kristine
    Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: amazon-reviewed
    Something Old, Something New by Tamar Adler is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early April.

100 classic, well-sourced, adaptive recipes with an ingenious, reformulating tone. The real text of the original recipe is in italics - Adler filters in with calming, skepticism-easing advice (as well as lifelike, detailed sketches and watercolors) in the event that a recipe and its presentation may be too much for a present-day cook. My favorite recipes include clams casino, green goddess salad, gat
    Beth
    This is an odd "cookbook" - full of rambling, somewhat pretentious, extremely purple prose, in more quantity than actual recipes. And, for recipes that are supposed to be "modernized" and/or "simplified," there sure is a lot of extremely rich (butter, eggs, mayonnaise, animal fats, etc.) or pretty "luxurious" (caviar, pate, oysters ingredients.

If you're SUPER into the history of "fancy" food from days gone by, or if things like caviar pie sound appetizing to you, you'll probably like this book w
    May 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Tamar Adler’s “An Everlasting Meal” was and is one of my favorite books. I love her writing style and her philosophy of simple cooking. This book fell flat for me, however. The old dishes she reinvents really don’t sound that good to me, even reinvented, and often there are either exotic or too-many ingredients. I was completely with her in the desserts chapter, but the earlier chapters are just too much fuss.
    Nick Klagge
    I enjoyed reading this out loud with Elise (though reading a recipe aloud is a bit of an odd experience!). While I always appreciate Tamar Adler, though, this book didn't inspire the way that "An Everlasting Meal" did. That's a pretty high bar, though, seeing as how AEM is probably my (and definitely Elise's) favorite cookbook of all time!
    Liz
    Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is a cookbook of sorts and a book about cooking. The author researches and brings back to us classic recipes that seemingly have been forgotten. She tells about them in their prime as well as indices the reader to try them again and bring them back to the table. Well researched, well constructed makes it the perfect book for a foodie!
    Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    While the recipes are well-written and many sound good, overall this book was a disappointment. Instead of being witty and sophisticated, the prose just comes off as pretentious and overwrought, which surprised me as that seems odd for a writer known for being practical when it comes to avoiding food waste.
    Caroline
    Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Was hoping to like this since I was so into her 1st book. This one was less original more about old time recipes that frankly, I don't cook in that nineteen forgotten style. I tried the Green Goddess recipe and it came out heavy on the oil, perhaps I didn't emulsify it properly. Would pass on this one. More interesting from a historical view but not a cookbook I'd use often.
    Candace
    Little bit disappointed with this one. I am a terrible cook, so when I follow a recipe, I like having pictures to guide me. I need to know what something is supposed to look like. This book doesn't have that. It had drawings of food.
    Sharen
    Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Delightful writing! A lovely history of famous recipes and culinary styles, a social history as well as a cookbook. Very enjoyable browsing...
    Melissa
    Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    I don’t think I shall ever cook a single dish from this book.
    Katy
    Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2018
    An interesting read, so well written and researched. Not a lot of recipes that gathered my interest to actually prepare, but it was a fun read.
    Amanda
    May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Charming, useful, inspiring (just like I expected!)
    Célèste
    I hate to say it, but I was disappointed. I adored Tamar Adler's first book. Like, it's one of my favorites of all time. It changed my life. This, however, lacks the narrative cohesion, point of view, and inspiration of An Everlasting Meal. It reads simply like a cookbook with somewhat rambling and not-particularly-inspired passages connecting each recipe in a stream-of-consciousness style. It's almost more like a diary or a personal recipe collection than a book made with readers in mind.
    Alice
    May 02, 2018
    Danielle
    Nov 15, 2018
    Emily
    Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    I received this book to review for free from netGalley in exchange for an honest review. I thought I would love this book because An Everlasting Meal is one of my favorites. However, this book didn't translate well in the free Kindle proof I received. It was very hard to read. I will look for it again when it comes out in a paper format and see if it is easier to follow then.
    PatG Lawson
    Jul 23, 2019
    C Pianelli
    May 01, 2019
    Holly Balcom
    rated it did not like it
    Oct 22, 2018
    kati
    May 23, 2018
    « previous 1 3 next »

• The Jemima Code: Two Centuries of African American Cookbooks
    • Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast
    • Oaxaca Al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy
    • Deceptive Desserts: A Lady's Guide to Baking Bad!
    • Eating for Beginners: An Education in the Pleasures of Food from Chefs, Farmers, and One Picky Kid
    • Cookie Love: More Than 60 Recipes and Techniques for Turning the Ordinary into the Extraordinary
    • Enchiladas: Aztec to Tex-Mex
    • Feast: Food of the Islamic World
    • Small Victories: Recipes, Advice + Hundreds of Ideas for Home Cooking Triumphs (Best Simple Recipes, Simple Cookbook Ideas, Cooking Techniques Book)
    • Cooking by Hand
    • How to Eat a Peach: Menus, Stories and Places
    • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Matrix: More Than 700 Simple Recipes and Techniques to Mix and Match for Endless Possibilities
    • King Solomon's Table: A Culinary Exploration of Jewish Cooking from Around the World
    • Canal House Cooks Every Day
    • Dorie's Cookies
    • Lunch at the Shop: The Art and Practice of the Midday Meal
    • Food52 A New Way to Dinner: A Playbook of Recipes and Strategies for the Week Ahead
    • Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco