Start by marking “Marque of Caine (Tales of the Terran Republic, #5)” as Want to Read:
Marque of Caine (Tales of the Terran Republic, #5)

Marque of Caine

(Tales of the Terran Republic #5)

Book 5 in the critically acclaimed Caine Riordan science fiction series by three-time Nebula nominee Charles E. Gannon. Science fiction on a grand scale. Prequels Raising Caine, Trial by Fire and Fire with Fire were all Nebula Award finalists. Charles E. Gannon is also the winner of the Compton Crook Award and a Dragon Award nominee.

BLAZE A TRAIL THROUGH DANGEROUS WORLDS
Published July 2nd 2019 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Marque of Caine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marque of Caine

Start your review of Marque of Caine (Tales of the Terran Republic, #5)
Robert Thompson
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This book is incomplete. It's obviously the first volume of a longer story in the overarching series. That pisses me off. I don't appreciate lengthy reads with no obvious or even partial conclusions.

All the initial plot catalysts remain with no closure. Caine is still wanted, The Lost are still not safe, the Doornani are still ambivalent and Elena is still missing.

We spend the better part of the book being jerked along by increasingly insulting Doornani, learning that their species are for lack
Mike
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Doesn't seem like this is book 5 of the series. I've been right there when each is published. They have been really good. The fourth stumbled a bit, but here in the 5th book the author returns to form. More intrigue, more mystery, more questioning of where loyalties lie. The only issue I had is I went through it quick and now have to wait another year or two for the next installment.

Think of this as a road trip through Dornaani space. We get to learn about their origins, current society and all
Andrew Weston
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Set two years after Caine Riordan was relieved of his command for doing the right thing our longsuffering protagonist finally receives the message hes been waiting for: a summons to visit the Dornaani on their home world.
It seems Caines hopes of discovering the current location and welfare of his long-lost love, Elena Corcoran, (mother to his seventeen year old son, Connor), has taken a positive step forward at last.
However, theres no silver lining to the clouds waiting on the horizon. As
Daniel Shellenbarger
Well, it was inevitable that we'd get here sooner or later given all the allusions to Homer and Greek mythology that have peppered this series, but this series has finally gone full Odyssey on us. After receiving an invitation to travel into Dornaani space, Caine Riordan goes on a personal quest through a strange alien empire to find the woman he loves (where she was taken to be healed of a seemingly mortal injury, until they lost interest and forgot where they put her...) complete with ...more
Scott
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This a stronger book than the last two, but still suffers from the usual flaws, or at least I should probably call them traits. In particular, every book, since the first, is an explore the species book, so moves slowly as we are taking a guided tour through another species.

Plot-wise, I understand why every government has to be corrupt, venal, or incompetent for the purposes of isolating the good guys so they are more heroic; but for me it is a tired trope.

Im still chewing on the plot, and
Steve
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up. Where the hell are they? I'm a big fan of this series but I missed the release of this one. Glad I took my time looking through all the books at the bookstore to find to my surprise the latest installment was out. Now two days later, I'm finished.

Some people have called this a road trip book but I think of it more as an education in the politics and history of the Dornaani. Without going into detail or spoilers, Caine is led through a series of worlds that may bring him closer
Jeremy
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the previous books in the series. Despite the main character being better than everyone else at... pretty much everything, it didn't read like a Gary Stu. However, in this book I found myself skipping over paragraphs - there was a lot of filler, a lot of "Caine goes to this place and interacts with someone, does something, and then goes on to the next." And nothing gets resolved.
I will probably read the next book to see what happens, but if it is similar to this one I will be done with
James
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sf
The alien races are fairly unique are some interesting food for thought. Caine is a bit too close to a Heinlein hero, he's supercompetent and almost never makes mistakes. There's enough context that you can start reading this series from this novel, but you may want to wait till #6, this ends on a cliffhanger.
Margaret
I really enjoyed this book.

Can't say too much about it for fear of spoilers but, suffice it to say, Caine Riordan goes into Dornaani space to retrieve his mate Elena Corcoran, given to the Dornaani after she was grievously injured because their superior care was her only hope for survival.

I especially enjoyed getting to see more of the Dornaani culture. As always, I particularly enjoy seeing many alien races in the same book.

Highly recommended for longtime fans of this exciting character-driven
Jeff
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
5th in projected 6 book series, it is a good standalone, but left me wondering which predecessor I had read. Now will have to find the previous 4 to make sense of the story.
Joe AuBuchon
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good story but too much "virtual reality" plot device.
Antoine Robert
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For the record: I read the eARC of the Book, hence the early review, monthes from release.

The bad thing when you finish a Caine Riordan book is that you have to wait at least one year, if not more, for the next one. It makes sure my grumpiness reaches new levels! The book ends on a cliffhanger...again and yet I can't wait to read the next installment.

As the book begins, Caine Riordan gets the invitation he has been waiting for for years. We left him at the end of Caine's mutiny under arrest,
Mike Huberty
Finally we get to see what the Dornaani are all about

Theres almost too much plot in this one, as Caine bounces from adventure to adventure inside the Collective. Some of the concepts seemed like they werent fully explained (factotums, the technology stolen from the ancient civilization, why no one in the Accord punished the Ktor for doing evil and obviously illegal things), but the world is so well developed and the plot points are so much fun, that you can forgive the underdeveloped bits.

And
Brian
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a while, it seemed like I was reading "Caine Riordan vs. the evil bureaucracies" crossed with a touch of gulliver's travels. I enjoyed it more towards the end, but was disappointed that we were left hanging. Hopefully Gannon has the next sequel out soon.
Mean Mr. Mustard
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Space Opera. Galactic intrigue. Unique and interesting aliens. Alternate history (sort of). Robots. Adventure. This book has it all, and the ending (yes, it's a cliffhanger) just makes it that much harder to wait for the next book. Read it! You won't regret it.
Bill
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A spy/mystery novel wrapped in science fiction, the Gannon style. More please.
Michael
Jul 25, 2019
Christopher England
Jul 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• To Clear Away The Shadows (RCN, #13)
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • Monster Hunter Guardian (Monster Hunter International, #7)
  • River of Night (Black Tide Rising #6)
  • Conviction
  • Salvation Lost (The Salvation Sequence, #2)
  • Archangel Rising (Archangel One, #2)
  • Triumphant (The Genesis Fleet, #3)
  • The Rosewater Insurrection (The Wormwood Trilogy, #2)
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Crusade (Exile Book 3)
  • Archangel One (Archangel One, #1)
  • The Mage-Fire War (The Saga of Recluce, #21)
  • Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars, #1)
  • 1636: The Flight of the Nightingale (Ring of Fire Book 28)
  • Exile
  • Planetside (Planetside #1)
Dr. Charles E. Gannon is a Distinguished Professor of English (St. Bonaventure U.) & Fulbright Senior Specialist (American Lit & Culture). He has had novellas in Analog and the War World series. His nonfiction book "Rumors of War and Infernal Machines" won the 2006 ALA Outstanding Text Award. He also worked as author and editor for GDW, and was a routine contributor to both the ...more

Tales of the Terran Republic (5 books)
  • Fire with Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #1)
  • Trial by Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #2)
  • Raising Caine (Tales of the Terran Republic, #3)
  • Caine's Mutiny (Tales of the Terran Republic, #4)