Start by marking “Monster Hunter Guardian (Monster Hunter International, #7)” as Want to Read:
Monster Hunter Guardian (Monster Hunter International, #7)

Monster Hunter Guardian

(Monster Hunter International #7)

NEW ENTRY IN THE BESTSELLING MONSTER HUNTER INTERNATIONAL SERIES BY DRAGON AWARD WINNING AUTHORS LARRY CORREIA AND SARAH A. HOYT

When Owen Pitt and the rest of the Monster Hunter International crew are called away to mount a month’s-long rescue mission in a monster-infested nightmare dimension, Julie Shackleford—Owen’s wife and descendant of MHI founder Bubba Shackelford—is
Published August 6th 2019 by Baen

Start your review of Monster Hunter Guardian (Monster Hunter International, #7)
jason wold
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you think the movie Taken would be cool with a female lead and vampires you will like this book.
Aaron Anderson
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, 5-fantasy, horror
This book was saved from being crappy because of Mr. Trash Bags. Things related to him made me chuckle a hell of a lot during this book. Also Julie would normally be a huge improvement to Owen, but she was in super Mom mode and it was a bit irritating.
Jordan
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At this point, how do I even review a Monster Hunter book? This is one of my all time favorite series. Period.

This particular installment was a co-write, and I am definitely adding some of the co-authors work to my to read list. She entered into this well established world and plot and did a fantastic job of running with the baton. Truly fantastic. Well, except for one small detail. We all know a Shackleford would have gone to the University of Alabama. I mean, they are champions right?

The narr
Presi
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had hoped this book would round out Julie's character more and maintain a similar voice to the one she had in her short story. Sadly, Julie's only about a 2.5 dimension character now.

Most of the time, I found myself saying "I get it. Your baby is STILL missing." (and I say this as a mother of a child the same age as Baby Ray). I almost want to go back, strike out 70% of the references to the missing baby motivations, and see if the same story could still be told.

As far as just adding to the M
Derpa
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those MHI books that are from the point of view of a character other than Owen, this time Julie. Owen is fun, I like him, but this technique is great for making the books feel fresh and to add something extra. Big thumbs up from me. (Now, Mr. Correia, if you could write one for Mosh... I would love you forever. Or more than I do now.

The son of Julie and Owen, Ray is here and he is very cute. An adorable giant baby who comes from two people who are important in the fight between
Eric
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I’m a massive fan of Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter International series and this spin off didn’t disappoint, delivering another fun adventure that further expanded the already awesome universe.

Julie Shackleford is one of the few MHI hunters left behind at their base in Alabama as the rest of the company is off on the largest mission ever to rescue their missing hunters. At home with her new son Ray, things are slow, though of course that doesn’t last long. Ray is kidnapped by a deadly
Skylar Phelps
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Another stellar addition to one of my favorite urban fantasies.

While more of a side story than most of the previous novels, with less actual story progression, Monster Hunter Guardian makes up for it with emotional investment and an all new POV.

Oh, and did I mention that Mr. Trashbags gets a major supporting role? Finally! Way to give the people what they want, Larry.
John
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series, and so rather than recap all the reasons why, I'll just mention two things that made me drop it one star.

I wish this had come out before Siege, (view spoiler)

Second, I was listening to the Audible version, and at times the narrator sounded a bit whiny. I understand the emotion she was trying to convey, but I just do not see Julie whining in any circumstances.
Beanbag Love
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I didn't review this way back when. That's what you get for getting the eARC and finishing months before the actual release date.

I'll admit I was worried about the collaboration of this book. I like Sarah Hoyt, but even though she's totally ON when she's on, she can be off as well. She was ON in this one. Julie's voice was totally done justice.

Stress? Beyond the beyond on that score. Baby Ray is kidnapped by a truly odious being and Julie's got to find him. The action here takes
Antonio
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is an audiobook review.

The narration was just not good. Any other voice, outside of the main character, sounded the same. So I often found myself, trying to determine who was talking. It just wasn't as immersive. She also said a few words wrong. Not a huge deal, but noticeable.

The story was ok. That's what kept me from stopping this journey. Nothing amazing, but ok. What really made this story hard to listen too was the insertion of right wing political opinions. It felt like every chapter
Giriniss
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Dear Larry, did you even read this book or just slapped the name on it? Writing is unrecognizable (Sarah’s?). Absolute and utter garbage. Writing style is a direct opposite from other MHI books. I did not expect from MHI some estrogen filled nonsense. MHI series were full of action and sometimes humor. Not anymore. Page after page filled with slobbering descriptions of character feelings, amped to 140% over the top, repeating itself time and again and again and again, excessive descriptions of p ...more
Keri
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have such a gurl crush on Julie, she is such an awesome character. Nothing was going to keep her from Little Ray, to bad Mr. Death didn't believe her.
Richard
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, I have waited awhile to read this! I usually buy these in paperback, but the paperback doesn't come out until the end of the year, so I borrowed this e-book copy from my public library.

After the events in Siege, I really badly wanted to read the next MHI book; but there wasn't one. Sure the anthology Monster Hunter Files came out, but it didn't extend the story after the events in Siege.

So the events in Guardian take place mostly during the events in Siege. Julie is on her own after quite a
Chrissy
Ever since I first read Monster Hunter International I wanted more of Julie. Something from her perspective or that just followed her around for a little while. And while I did love Alpha and Nemesis, I kept wondering - Where the crap is Julie?

So when I found out this book was coming, I was pumped. And I am pleased to say that it did NOT disappoint.

I've heard both authors describe the process of writing Guardian thus: Larry provided the roadmap, Sarah did the driving. And Sarah did a fantastic j
Michael
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the seventh book in the Monster Hunter International series. This one is by Larry Correia and Sarah A. Hoyt. I was a little uncertain that a book that was just about Julie Shackleford would be a good addition to this series but it was indeed a great story and a great read.
In this one Owen and most of the MHI crew are on a mission to a monster infested nightmare dimension trying to stop creatures bent on destroying the world. Julie is left at the MHI compound managing the remaining staff
Cody
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
So this ended up being better than expected, and I thought this made a great addition to the MHI universe.
A lot of people complained that Julie seemed more whiny and girly in this book than others, but I disagree. She became super-mom in this book. She had plenty of badass parts with just enough of that motherly instinct sprinkled in - I thought it was well done.
Narration was good. It was no Oliver Wyman but it was still good. Narrator switch for this book made sense, but I will be sorely disapp
Les
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Monster Hunter Guardian, by Larry Correia and Sarah Hoyt, is a thoroughly enjoyable book, completely consistent in theme, style, page-turning excitement, and pace with the other books in the series by Larry Correia. Sarah's perspective on the mother/child bond was delightful and intense. You could see Larry's 'hand' making sure the story and Monster Hunter canon were preserved as Sarah put her own spin on the beloved Guardian Mother, Julie Shackleford, as she fights the beast of hades to get her ...more
Matt Spaulding
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love this series, warts and all, and this book is no exception. I loved that this was a book all about Julie who, while still a major character in all the other books, still deserved this chance to really shine. Plus, another of my favorite characters from the series got to play a critical role, as did a character I did not expect to come back but ended up overjoyed with.
Tony Hinde
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
It's hard to put my finger on why but this one didn't ring my bell.

Part of it was that Julie failed to rally support at critical stages. She acted like a burned spy. When help was pulled together, it was only incidentally organized by others.

I can forgive a Mom for diving head-first into danger to save her kid, but Julie is a Shackleford... I expected more from her. Sure, she kept beating the odds, I lost count of how many times, but that's just lazy writing.
Sean Korzdorfer
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
All tell and no show. I don’t know if this is the product of being co-written, but I don’t need to be reminded every five minutes that Julie is a monster hunter from a family of monster hunters who hunt monsters because they’re bad ass monster hunters with guns … Which they use to hunt monsters. It’s in the title. I could do without all the political jabs as well. They’ll only ensure the book ages poorly. I’ve enjoyed the Hell out of the series thus far, but it’s obvious that Mr. Correia needs t ...more
Clayton Cravath
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my favorite, hard to finish.
Larry C, Johnson
STAKES

No one establishes stakes like Larry Corriea. All through this thrilling and enthralling novel, Corriea and Sara Hoyt keep ramping up the stakes till you can barely wait to turn to the next page.

It’s a very nice change of pace in the Monster Hunter series to see things through Julie Shackleford’s perspective and through the lens of motherhood as a motivator for heroism. And there is NO doubt that Julie is a bonafide hero. No Damsel here. Momma bear is totally badass and lethal as a gunsho
Robert Gatewood
A book that fails to grab your interest

I eagerly purchased both the kindle and audible version as this series has never failed to capture my imagination and wonderfully pass the time. This entry into the series felt more like fan-fic than one written by Larry Correia. The protagonist, Julie Shackleford, is normally a strong willed, take no shit character that is as much at home being a wife as she is at kicking monster ass. The portrayel of her in this book is anything but. She comes off to be a
Shay0616
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome great addition

I usually listen to the MHI audiobooks, but the narrator was a let down. I was good reading about Julie as the main character.
Jamie Higgins
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good take on Julie Shackleford

Another rousing romp in MHI’s world. I look forward to the next book ad hope to see more Mr. Trashbags
JM
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
By now, Larry Correia's dumbass right-wing B.S. has gotten extremely tiresome. From the moment you read the first chapter and Julie Shackleford tells us all how she's this ultra-awesome badass genius who went back to school for a grad degree but is also getting an undergrad degree on the side because schoolwork is a piece of cake after being a monster hunter, and then her idiot friend dies because she's fixated on vampires but Julie kills her vampire form and the whole nest of vamps infesting th ...more
Reanne
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Yeah, I couldn't get through this one. It's better than the Memoirs books IMO, for sure, but that's really not a high bar.

So, you've got your basic kidnapping plot. Heroine's baby is kidnapped by a super evil monster because the monster wants a powerful artifact the heroine is hiding. He demands, "Give me the artifact or I'll do horrible things to your baby." At first, the heroine goes, "No, that's a false choice. I'm not going to give you the artifact or let you hurt my baby. I'm going to hunt
Deacon Gray
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of MHI. Even if they did a bad book, it would still be better then 90% of the Monster Slayer stuff out there. Please don't take my rating as a low mark as compared to anyone but Correia himself.

Owen Pitt, and most all of the able bodied and trained MHI people are still away in Russian fighting in the nightmare realm. Julie, however, is holding down the fort, taking care of business, as well as The Boss, her grandfather, and little, Raymond "Bubba" Pitt. Everything is going as exp
Brian Edmondson
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had to write this review more as a response to other reviews that I had seen. It seems that most of the people who gave this book 1 star were the ones to write a review and most other people who gave this book 5 stars did not.

This book is takes place concurrently with book #6, Monster Hunter Siege. The big difference is that it is from Julie's point of view and covers what went on with her and the others left behind while Owen and most of the other monster hunters are playing on Severny Island
stormin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
The setup of this book is basically identical to Changes, and that doesn't lead to a favorable comparison. Changes is an amazing book and Monster Hunter Guardian is a very, very mediocre book. One of the nagging, constant distractions was that the main character never made any sense. Half the time she's motivated by a general, righteous desire to save all children everywhere from the monsters. The other half the time she's explicitly willing to run over an innocent small child if it means gettin ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Saints (Monster Hunter Memoirs, #3)
  • River of Night (Black Tide Rising #6)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • C.A.E.C.O. (Demon Accords, #15)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Gunpowder & Embers (Last Judgment's Fire Book 1)
  • Voices of the Fall (Black Tide Rising)
  • At the End of the World (Black Tide Rising Book 7)
  • Wine, Women, & Song (Bubba the Monster Hunter #3)
  • Terra Nova: The Wars of Liberation
  • Web of Extinction (Zone War, #3)
  • Rage (Rogue Team International #1)
  • A Murder of Shadows (Shadows of Montshire, #1)
  • The Long Chain (Arcane Casebook, #3)
  • Darkkin Queen (Demon Accords, #16)
  • Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11)
  • Grits, Guns & Glory (Bubba the Monster Hunter #2)
Larry Correia (born 1977) is the New York Times bestselling author of the Monster Hunter International series, the Grimnoir Chronicles, and the thriller Dead Six.

Monster Hunter International (8 books)
  • Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunter International, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Nemesis (Monster Hunter International, #5)
  • Monster Hunter Siege (Monster Hunter International, #6)
  • Monster Hunter Bloodlines (Monster Hunter International #8)

News & Interviews