Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1

(Buffy The Vampire Slayer #1)

Go back to the beginning as the critically acclaimed pop culture phenomenon Buffy The Vampire Slayer is reimagined under the guidance of series creator Joss Whedon!

This is the Buffy Summers you know, who wants what every average teenager wants: friends at her new school, decent grades, and to escape her imposed destiny as the next in a long line of vampire slayers tasked w
Published May 28th 2019 by BOOM! Studios (first published May 7th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1

Kori ☾
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am here for this. I am a Buffy stan to the 10th degree. I have my PHD in Buffyverse. Great solid first issue, love the little easter eggs hidden in the artwork, also love the fact that they mention certain canon things that happened in the show.

I like the revamped (no pun intended) versions of Xander and Willow. Xander is much more bearable and not clingy. Willow also has a good sense of style and doesn't seem as weak.

Not sure if this counts as spoilers but I like the fact that Angel wasn't pr
Artemy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, everybody who's read my review of Buffy Season 12 knows how skeptical I felt about this Boom Studios reboot of Buffy comics. As a die-hard fan of Dark Horse continuation of the show I felt kind of betrayed by this move. Well, the truth is that Dark Horse Buffy comics were stagnating for a while now, and the final volume of Season 12 was nothing short of atrocious with how it handled the wrap-up of its many long-running storylines. So it comes as a huge relief and a surprise that this new and ...more
Ivy
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a single Buffy comic nor ever caught a glimpse of the show, so this issue was perfect for me. I was already overjoyed to be able to get my hands on the Kevin Wada variant cover, and the art inside was just as dazzling. I've always been interested in Buffy, and this issue was the push I needed to finally allow myself to enter this world. It was fantastic, I'm hooked, and can't wait to see what comes next.
Shannon
Hmm.

Not sure I like the changes to the original story.

2.5
Jen
I’m not big into Buffy, but this was a solid start. Not a fan of he cliffhanger ending, but that’s par for the course I guess. Artwork was great, character development was weak, leaning too heavily on the pre-developed characters I think, but if this is a new beginning, you need to build a better base. Also, story jumped around a bit with no real cohesion. Solid 3 stars. Looking forward to reading the rest.
TJ
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first issue a lot! The voices were pretty spot on, the art was great, the references were fun, and it even has reread-ability to a point. And hey — it’s loads better than some of the garbage that came out in Season 11. This isn’t the story I would have chosen for BOOM! to tell, but it’s still fun and very well done. I think the twist in this issue will give merit to some fan speculation that was already swirling around a certain character. Can’t wait to see more! 5/5 stars.
Runalong
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That’s a really clever way to reboot the series - the same characters but very different set up! Worth a go!
Drew
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delighted by this. A 2019 update of Buffy, written by a woman (thank the gods)? Yes and yes. Loving the way that the present is integrated seamlessly, and the ways in which it makes the characters all the more relatable. I'm excited to see where this goes, and how it continues to diverge from the original series -- I'm as hooked as I was the first time I watched the show.
unknown
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Buffy reboot–which keeps the characters but mixes around their backstories and updates the timeframe–is better than it has any right to be.

Experienced Scoobies will enjoy picking out the differences in the timelines (Willow would obviously be more in touch with her sexual identity in 2019; Xander would totally be an incel) but it works well on its own merits too... I think? Hard to say as I have been watching and reading about these characters for 22 years.

This first volume chews through
TJ
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this so far! While this isn't what I would have personally wanted for the Buffyverse comics, I'm taking it for what it is. The art is fantastic, and it's neat seeing the characters in modern day and how that's changed them. There's a good twist at the end of issue 1, and issue 4 ends on a cliffhanger for better or worse. I'm very intrigued to see where this leads! 5/5 stars.
Luke
Dec 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: buffy-angel
I am excited for this. I am interested to see where the writers take this reimagination of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It will be awesome to see their take on it all. I am currently working on a post for my blog about what my hopes are for this reboot.
Chris Lemmerman
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's Buffy, but not as you know her - reimagined for the 2010s, everyone you know and love is here, but not quite as you expect to find them. And yet, somehow, they're still them.

Rebooting such a beloved franchise should have anyone running for the hills at the prospect, but Jordie Bellaire (colourist turned writer, apparently) handles this will easy flair. Buffy is still Buffy, even if she's a little more confident in herself. Willow is still Willow, even if she knows herself far more than the
Deniz
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it. This was the Buffy that I was longing for. I love the story, I love the characters and I love the artwork.

[image error]
Buffy's portraying is vulnerable...

...yet strong.

[image error]
Finally, a library and Giles was what I need!

I can't wait to read the second issue.
Nathan Haines
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do like getting my teeth into anything Buffy related. It was an interesting start to the reboot. Im not sure what to make of Buffy and Willow so far, otherwise Xander and Giles seem pretty much the same.

I probably would have given it 5 stars, but a little underwhelmed at the first baddies, guess i was kinda hoping for baddie of the week style like the original tv series. But then it is only the first issue.
Alright, i'll bite.
Dichotomy Girl
I think the secret to enjoying this is to view it as happening on a different earth, or in an alternate timeline a la "The Wish".
Nathan
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful reboot with plenty of Easter eggs for long-time fans.
Mike Jozic
I really like the idea behind this relaunch and I am genuinely curious to see where it goes, hoever, the pacing leaves something to be desired which is unusual for me to say since I am not a fan of the deconstructionist style of storytelling that drags stories on for several issues beyond their best before date.

Here, though, things do feel a little rushed. Characters just sort of fall into a place and rhythm that doesn't quite feel as earned as I would like. The plot also moves and shifts pretty
Margaret Robbins
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in individual issues as they came out, as I'm trying to do more of that rather than buy the books. I think it better supports the comics industry. Overall, I am enjoying the series so far. I was skeptical at first, as I loved the original movie, TV series, and comics so much and was hesitant to have the story changed for me. Plus, as a late 90s teen myself, part of why the series was meaningful to me was the portrayal of 90s music and culture. But I decided to go into the series ...more
~*~Meg~*~
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hesitated to try the new Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic since they are writing it in this present time but from the beginning of the series. I watched the original as a kid in the 90's and adored it and made my younger sister watch it and she loved it just I did. So it has a special place in my heart. I saw a single issue comic of the series in my local library and thought to myself "just do it!" and I did.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it! It was serious nostalgia vibes of c
Christine
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Pleasantly surprised by this reboot. The art is the best I've seen in an Angel or Buffy comic ever -- it's phenomenal. And the writing has a nice modernist take on Whedon's quippy style. It sounds like the characters. They've been redesigned and updated slightly, and it is definitely a reboot/reinvisioning of the series. The writers and Boom, unlike Dark Horse, are letting it be a reimagining of the series or fanfic, and I really appreciate that.

What's interesting is I think they are having Any
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4.5 STARS

I am a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the television series, since it first aired. I have watched the complete season when it first aired, and then when it was released on DVD. I have watched the complete series a few times now, and the first season a few more than that. I watched Angel because I had Buffy withdrawals, and I collect any books and collectables that I can find and afford. However, I don't attend any events, buy expensive collectables or know Buffy trivia of
Lola
My Thoughts On: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1

1. I like that this issue begins with Buffy working a shitty, fast-food job. What says slayer trying to be an ordinary teenager more than working at a chain named Tuna Verse. Also, is this a popular chain in Sunnydale? If so, why?

2. Okay, new comic, new art, I get that, but why is the vamp who attacks Willow so monster-like? Is it supposed to be particularly old? Because most vampires are just people with vamp face.

3. I like the style updates, particula
Anna
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the art style, first of all. I like that Buffy has a job and the way she meets Xander & Willow was cute, but realistic for Sunnydale. Didn't expect the way Anya was Incorporated, or that she'd be in the series so soon. Kind of annoyed at the bi-erasure of making Willow gay from the beginning. I liked that Willow was like me in the original series (though honestly once she starts dating Tara, she kind of bi-erasures herself courtesy of Joss consistently having her character hamm ...more
Rachel
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So BtVS came out when I was about twelve, and I watched it (and taped it!) like a maniac. I owned Buffy novels, wrote Buffy fanfiction, had Buffy related codenames for crushes. I really enjoyed this graphic novel reboot, and though there was a handful of changes that I was meh about, I felt excited to see where the story was going to diverge from my expectations.

In general though: loved the art, loved the rhythm of the snappy dialogue, loved the plot. Will definitely be rereading this and recomm
Sean O'Hara
Buffy is back. This series is a ground zero reboot, moving everyone's favorite Slayer of Vampyres up to the modern day. The good thing about this is it means the writers know where everything is going from the start. Willow is gay from the start this time, and we already have Anya in the story in the first issue (Though sadly there's no sign of Cordy yet). The first issue is all setup, but things look promising so far.
Susan
I'm a huge Buffy fan and while it's nice to see her and the gang again I'm not really sure what is the point. Setting these characters back to ground zero doesn't add anything to the Buffyverse. Maybe this reboot is intended for those with no previous Buffy experience. In that case, welcome new fans! As someone who grew up with Buffy I'm just not that excited by this.
Randomanda
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like that the characters are still the original cast. Things have switched up in Sunnydale in this current retelling of Buffy but I'm willing to see where they take us. I am not used to the comic book format of it being so short and me wanting more- so ... this will be interesting.
Kendra Chanocua corona
Amazeballs!!!

I'm so excited for the upcoming issues. This issue set up some great stuff to come. I love our familiar characters already, slight differences and they make my heart swell with happiness. I can't wait for more!!!
Amber
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey the characters looked like their tv self but also the art was good?????

Great revamp for the series. It takes the awkward first stages out of when the show was discovering itself for a new fun spin.

No Angel (so far?) but there is an Anya so that's interesting...
Elia
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Mmmmmm... Interesting changes! And hey, Giles ' stacks are finally neat!! Hahaha!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (5 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #2