Start by marking “Sparrowhawk (Sparrowhawk, #1-5)” as Want to Read:
Sparrowhawk (Sparrowhawk, #1-5)

Sparrowhawk

(Sparrowhawk #1-5)

After a young woman is kidnapped by an evil Faerie Queen and trapped in a far off realm, she must survive teen Victorian fairy fight club in order to get back home.

As the illegitimate daughter of a Naval Captain, Artemisia has never fit in with her father’s family, nor the high class world to which they belong. However, when she is targeted by the Faerie Queen and pulled i
Expected publication: August 20th 2019 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Sparrowhawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparrowhawk

Schizanthus
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review to come after a reread.
Etienne
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
That isn’t my definition of dark... and when a comic book want to be dark, it shouldn’t present illustrations are colorful like they came from a children TV shows. Big failed in every aspects. I don’t get all the positive review I read, maybe it’s just me...
Steff Pasciuti
Well, the very first thing I have to say about Sparrowhawk by Delilah S. Dawson--illustrated by Matias Basla and Rebecca Nalty--is wow, was that dark. I was really excited to read this rather brilliant-looking graphic novel from the very first moment I saw it, intrigued by what was described as a "teen Victorian fairy fight club" and eager to see what adventures would befall this illegitimate daughter of a naval captain whose never quite fit in with her father's very white, upper class family as ...more
Dini Kamayana
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmm... I'm not quite sure how to rate this. It's a fast paced, well drawn comic. The artwork is full of bold colors although the style itself is not one that I'm usually drawn to or prefer. That said, I thought it suited the strangeness of this story. I liked the artwork on the chapter/title pages more than I did the artwork throughout the comic, but I loved the contrast of the colorful against the brutal, gruesome and dark faerie world story. The plot itself reminded me of elements of Cinderell ...more
Ms. Kelly
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This horror-tinged read is great for teens and up who little a taste of the macabre in their fantasy.

No happy ending here, the question of what you will do to get what you want (and what you may lose when you get it) is an eternal question that subtly resonates in this beautifully drawn story. There is plenty of fantastical beast killing, but it is light on the extreme gore.

I'd feel comfortable recommending this to grade 6+ with a taste for suspenseful fantasy horror.

This has the added bonus of
Emma
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this! It was a really nice blend of traditional and modern fairytale-esque story, with beautiful artwork and a story that (to me) would not be out of place on a shelf of someone who also loved Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. A little whimsical, a bit dark, and kind of sad, but in a good way.
Jamie-Lee Turner
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
This was a bit bloody good poppet.

(I'm a sucker for Wolpertingers)
Pop Bop
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Alice in Wonderland, But Wittier and More Violent

Lots of blurbs for this book describe it as a sort of Victorian Fight Club, and I suppose you could view it that way, even though that really overlooks its most appealing aspects. If we need a comparison, I'd describe this as "Alice in Wonderland" with more explicit violence, wittier banter, a ferocious Alice, and a sly agenda built around feminism, racism, colonialism, and why you should never trust overly clever cats, (especially if they're faer
Victoria
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This trade collects the first six issues of Sparrowhawk. I received access to this ARC in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.

Sparrowhawk follows the tale of Artemesia, the daughter of a Dutch colonizer and an enslaved woman in the Victorian era who, via a thoughtless wish, is whisked off to the lands of Faerie. Once there she meets a helpful rabbit who encourages her to grow in her powers and save the world--by killing.

The art style was beautiful. The abstract style was aptly suggestive
Maria
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sparrowhawk is a graphic novel that focuses on Artemisia "Art" Grey, the illegitimate daughter of a naval captain, who is faced with a situation full of dangers when the Unseelie Queen attacks her and enters our world, at the same time Art is dragged to Faerie and is forced to make a deal with unreliable and surely treacherous beings to return home.

It was a novel that I really enjoy because of the dark and gloomy story that narrates through wonderful illustrations a plot full of changes, death a
Hisham El-far
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(A free digital copy of this book for review purposes was kindly provided by the publisher through Netgalley.)

I loved this.Sparrowhawk is the perfect balance of a dark story told with love and feeling.Think Alice Through The Looking Glass, but with monstrous Fae versus feelings of tragic bereavement. Deals gone awry and the need to do good - even at the risk of becoming evil.
The author and art team have worked really well together to tell the story of Artemisia (Art), an unwelcome daughter of a
Jessica Miller
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, comics, favorites
I was delightfully surprised with how much I enjoyed Sparrowhawk. Artemisia has had a difficult time (mostly with her stepmother and one of her half sisters) growing up as an illegitimate child. Set in mid-nineteenth century England, Artemisia has spent her time as a lady’s maid for her sister Elizabeth, who has just died. Fortunately the sister she is close with, Caroline, is still alive. Elizabeth was set to marry someone who would help their family’s financial situation, but now that she is d ...more
Jessica
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely intriguing but perhaps too fast paced. The set up for Artemisia’s journey works well on all sides. Her Cinderella-esque background, being the bastard child of a Naval Captain and a slave, ensures she never fits in at home. Her stepmother is cruel and shows her no affection.

Then Artemisia is pulled into Faerie, the land of the fae. She meets Crispin, a Cheshire cat type, who convinces Art to kill the Unseelies she meets along the road. Her first kill transforms her and gives her wings.
Jess Smiley
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Sparrowhawk is Alice in Wonderland meets Wizard of Oz meets Dorian Gray, inasmuch as our protagonist is whisked away into a curious world, becomes companion to a Cheshire Cat-like narrator of sorts, and engages in a hasty descent.

What I love most about this story is how Artemesia changes visually as her adventure continues.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the artwork, the character concepts, and many of the themes that were introduced, the story ultimately felt flat for me. Where the action was excit
Krys
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I was able to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
***
The art! The art and the colors! This was magic.
I love fairy tales, and myths and this book read like a fairy tale retelling, using faeries as they were in their original stories, sneaky and unreliable and dangerous. It read like a story that would fit in the Alice in Wonderland world.
Art(emesia) is the illegitimate daughter of a Naval Captain chafing at a world that doesn’t want her to be an e
Bryan
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I was given an advance reading copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to BOOM! Studios for the opportunity.

An adventure-filled plot with magical twists and turns that you won't see coming.

Sparrowhawk gave me the vibe of a vintage fantasy comic books that I loved when I was still a kid. The art style was given much importance as well as the plot. The world building was great, and it included magical creatures and beasts.

Ultimately, the fast-paced
Emma
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've been thinking about this for awhile as I am very unsure how to rate this.

The bright art style does contradict the very dark tones to this story. This is the lengths that someone will go to for what they want even if it's wrong. This also shows how our own personality and beliefs can be hinged on the people in our lives and how the loss of someone can create ripples throughout you.

This was good, the art style was
Lexi
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was a fun and dark fairy tale. The main character is taken through the mirror by the Unseelie Queen where she meets a new advisor who helps her return to her land to kill the queen. She must kill to gain power along the way and as she kills, she loses much of what she hopes to gain. I recently read a more literal retelling of Alice in Wonderland recently that tried to be dark and failed miserably. This one takes the tropes including the Cheshire Cat and turns them on its head. The ending is ...more
Tabrizia Jones
Thanks to NetGalley and Boom! Studios for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

The artwork could have been better, however, the story full of fantasy and treachery really carried the story as a whole. It reads like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but with more gore and horror. The artwork, rather pedestrian, will grow on the reader. The clever remarks on the themes of racism, colonization, and feminism are clearly rampant throughout the story. The ending was just so twisted...I'm
Zaquira
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
This book was a joy ride and the ending was so twisted. That I’m still in shock at it.
I rarely have ever read books with faeries in it. So this was a good starting point. The characters, the plot , the art art all came into one as it taught you to keep memories close and show that you can overcome the pain. Also what happens when you let others tell you what to do and think. I really loved this book. At first I didn’t think I was going to be given it. But yet I still wished for it. I have n
Angela
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of those stories where you knew how more or less how it was going to end by the conclusion of the first issue. Still, you hang around for the ride in hopes that maybe, maybe you will be proven wrong. An enjoyable tale and a reminder that, in Faerie, everything comes with a price that may ultimately be too steep to pay.
& She Reads
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this Via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I loved this!! It was so fun to read honestly.

I loved the dark Alice and Wonderland (darker than it is) vibe it has.

Obviously I don't want to post spoiler but I love the characters and the progression of the story and how it all comes full circle in the end of this one.

The art is of course pretty awesome and I can't wait to read the next issue!
J.D. DeHart
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sparrowhawk is fun, full of adventures, and vivid in its imagery. I read the digital copy but would be glad to add a hard copy to my office, school library, or classroom collection. A very entertaining read!
Melissa
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading a graphic novel and I was not disappointed! The artwork was dark, edgy and alluring! And while Artemisia may have been the main character, I couldn't help but love the supporting characters Crispin and the Beast of Dean.
Engel Dreizehn
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC Copy...I best describe as Alice in Wonderland meets the not so "peaches and cream" fairies of midsummers night's dream with one strange but strong female protagonist all mixed into one acid washed-coloured nightmare of a wonderland!
Elin (annotatedpaperbacks)
atmospheric, haunting, and engaging. actual review to come later
Shannon
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.65
Alan D.D.
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great artwork and a story filled with amazing twists. I like how the creators developed a story with so many references to faery folklore and myths!
Alan
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fantasy graphic novella for those looking for a story where the Fae and their ilk are brutal. Before Disney gave the world Tinkerbell, and made fairy tales less grim, well such tales were quite grim.

This a tale without much in the way of joy or happiness. Artemisia is the illegitimate daughter of a British naval captain, and of course her step mother is far from pleased with her existence. With the pending threat of being married off to improve the family's fortunes, Artemisia ends up
Christa  Seeley
Reviewed Issue #5 as part of the April BOOM Pubwatch for Women Write About Comics
Delilah S. Dawson writes whimsical and dark Fantasy for adults and teens. Her Blud series for Pocket includes Wicked as They Come, Wicked After Midnight, and Wicked as She Wants, winner of the RT Book Reviews Steampunk Book of the Year and May Seal of Excellence for 2013. Her YA debut, Servants of the Storm, is a Southern Gothic Horror set in Savannah, GA, and HIT is about teen assassins in a bank ...more

Sparrowhawk (6 books)
  • Sparrowhawk #1 (Sparrowhawk, #1)
  • Sparrowhawk #2