Start by marking “The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1

The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1

(The Avant-Guards #1-4)

When Charlie transfers to the Georgia O’Keeffe College of Arts and Subtle Dramatics, she struggles to find her feet, but winds up exactly where she belongs...in the school’s (terrible) basketball team.

As a transfer student to the Georgia O’Keeffe College for Arts and Subtle Dramatics, former sports star Charlie is struggling to find her classes, her dorm, and her place amo
Published September 3rd 2019 by BOOM! Box (first published August 28th 2019)

Start your review of The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
This was SO MUCH FUN! I absolutely loved the characters and I cannot wait to read more of their story. My only complaint is that I wish this had been longer! Not a ton happened in this first bind up and I NEED MOOOOOORE
demi. ♡
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
❥ 4 / 5 stars

[ e-ARC received from NetGalley ]

Wait! That’s it?! OH. MY. GOSHHHHH. You can’t end like this. I want to know more now. ㅠ—ㅠ
By the way, this book is AMAZING and AWESOME !!!

Thank you to NetGalley and BOOM! Studios so much for providing this book to me to read. 🏀
Lea (drumsofautumn)
HELLO I'M LEA AND I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH A NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL SERIES!!!!

This is such a fantastic graphic novel, featuring an amazing cast of diverse characters. We have several queer characters, one character uses they/them pronouns: There's also so many characters of colour.

I am usually not one to go for stories about sports but the art just makes even that aspect so much fun for me! And honestly the goofy characters alone are just 100% worth it. Not only are they very diverse when it comes
Schizanthus Nerd
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I’ve been hovering between ‘will I or won’t I?’ since I first saw this graphic novel listed on NetGalley. I loved the blurb but sports and I don’t mix so well, unless movie marathons or TV series hurdles somehow became Olympic events while I was busy binge watching.

I saw some early reviews of this Volume that told me I didn’t have to adore basketball to fall in love with this story so I finally decided to give it a go and, great news! Those reviewers were right! You don’t need to know anything
Mitticus
Plot - 2
Art - 3

It is not what I expected.

What's up? New girl comes to college, and is chased by another girl who waits for a member to form a women's basketball team.

But in reality, it leaves the impression that she is pursuing her for more personal reasons.

It's funny, but just the other day I was reading an article about that old series "The Facts of Life" and about how the only lacking in it was the sexual diversity; well, in this story seemed like Tootie was pursuing Jo. (Yeah, Liv was kind
Yna the Mood Reader
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Avant-Guards is such an amazing read and I cannot deny how the pages flew by becacuse of how much I loved it. First off, I have to commend how beautiful the artwork was. The coloring and the drawing was high-class, and though I am not an artist myself, a few glances at the art is something that I’m sure lots of people will appreciate. The art is modern, fresh, and the colors are all absolutely eye-catching.

If I could be honest, I am not someone who would pick out a book about basketball (of
Jay G
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I received a copy of this from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

Charlie transfers to Georgia O'Keefe College of Arts and subtle Dramatics, where she is approached by a ragtag group of girls to join their new basketball team.

This was so much fun to read! I've been playing basketball for my entire life so I loved the focus on the team. The characters are amazing and I can'
rachel ☾
#2) The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2 ★★★★☆

Trigger warnings for panic attacks.

Representation: Charlie (mc) is sapphic & has a panic disorder; Liv (li) is Black & sapphic; Nicole (sc) is Asian, trans & sapphic; Jay (sc) is Black & non-binary; Ashley (sc) is Black.

BlogTrigger Warning DatabaseTwitterInstagram
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

This was a nice comic about a newly formed and diverse basketball team with a cute developing f/f romance. I really like the art and it made the story easy and relaxing to follow. There's also not a lot of basketball talk and the focus is more on the characters and friendships, at least so far, which I personally really liked (confession: I kind of...don't like basketba
Emma
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this comic book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had been eyeing this comic book for a while and I was so happy to get the chance to review the bind-up first volume in advance.
This was a very cute read. The artwork is very nice and I loved the palette of colors they used, it was such a nice choice.
The story is funny and cute. This basketball team is composed by a group of weirdos, as Charlie says, but they’re definitely a lovely group o
Chad
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
If I was a tween girl, I'd probably love this. Alas I'm not, and this just seemed boring and pointless. It's about some girls in college who start a basketball team. That's the whole extent of the story, or lack thereof. It reminded me of a sports manga, but without any of the drama.

Received a review copy from Boom and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
representation: sapphic mc's, characters of colour, trans character

I requested this without knowing anything about it because I adored Carly Usdin's Heavy Vinyl, and this was no exception. The Avant-Guards follows Georgia, a transfer at the College for Arts and Subtle Dramatics after her basketball career wasn't successful. She struggles to fit in and find friends until she stumbles across their unfinished basketball team, and the captain, Liv, who's desperate for her to be part of the team.

Gra
Kate (GirlReading)
This was EVERYTHING.

It was funny and adorable, with gorgeous artwork, basketball, college life and a wonderfully diverse cast of characters I’m already obsessed with (rep wise, there are multiple queer characters, a budding f/f romance, multiple POC characters, a character who uses they/them pronouns and anxiety rep). Plus, there are SO MANY PUPPIES.

I need volume two in my hands, like, yesterday.
ngọc ♡
4/5

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

THIS GRAPHIC NOVEL IS SO CUTE!!!

Sorry for all the screaming, but!! The Avant-Guards really got me squealing and grinning with all the fluff!!! The story begins with Charlie Bravo, a former basketball star and transfer student at Georgia O’Keeffe College for Arts and Subtle Dramatics, as she tries to find her place in this new environment. During the student activities fair, she meets the Avant-Guards—the barely-formed basketball team lead by the charming Olivia “Liv” Bates
Anna Banana
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it

This was cute but felt kinda like a middle-grade/YA book when I was expecting something different since they're in college. I like all the rep though and the art is really pretty.
Rod Brown
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute and amusing story about the formation of a women's basketball team at an art school. A good book to read while waiting for the next volume of Giant Days.
Ms. Arca
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is EVERYTHING. Everything I tell you.

I need the entire series.

Hilarious, relatable, relevant, sweet.. tons of fun.

Love the diverse cast of characters .. love the jokes, the texting features, the internal monologues.. this is so perfectly done I honestly don’t have the words right now. It’s basketball! It’s art school! It’s super queer and fluid! It’s fun/funny n’ cute. Sigh.

Also the MC is totally my mom. Spunky black girl with her own business card and rows of to do lists I stinkin love
E.
★★★★☆ || Funny and fresh story about a bunch of art students playing basketball!

From the casual queer & PoC representation to the basketball emotions this story was a blast!

There were lots of obstacles to get this team going but the organisation goddess Liv never gave up and if she needs to stalk the grumpy transfer student Charlie she will do it. She's sure she can convince her and, hey, if she flirts with her while at it, who's to judge?

But the cute f/f romance is not the only good thing abo
Bookishrealm
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE Here's my full review: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....

I really really enjoyed this comic. I originally was going to read the single issues but then I saw that my library had volume 1 so I decided to pick it up. I loved that the rep in this book was handled so naturally and didn’t feel forced. It was in and exciting and I can’t wait to see what the next volumes bring. Full review to come.
Alison
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4.5 STARS
Despite what I thought, this is NOT middle grade and not only focusing on sports. It's about team work and friends and finding "your people" and having fun. Most of the characters seem to be in the LGBTQ+ community, and one has the pronouns of They so I appreciated the diversity!
It was a cute read too!
Laura (bbliophile)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sports comic? With lots and lots of queer people? And absolutely incredibly art? YES. THIS WAS AMAZING.
Alex (Pucksandpaperbacks)
I was provided a review copy via Net Galley. All opinions are my own.

I NEED MORE.

REP: trans girl, non-binary, queer characters, POC, anxiety & panic attacks

I was so invested in this story and the characters! What a great, diverse, queer story. I laughed so much during this and ah, I just loved it so much. It was so pure but also talked about mental health and break-ups. The illustrations were very colorful and detailed, I was fully immersed into the Avant-Guards world.
Fanna
June 7, 2020: This is so sexually and racially diverse with an all-female basketball team in an arts school, a budding f/f romance, sapphic main characters, non-binary bipoc character, and strong themes of friendship and love. Why had no one told me about this sweetness?
Cassandra
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, reads-of-2019
A snappy and spunky sports graphic novel with lots of heart and basketball. What a cute way to spend a Saturday afternoon. :)
Bookphenomena (Micky)
Review to come. I read this super early, not sure why. This definitely has potential but I wasn't sold completely on some of the characters or story line.
Helena
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Heavy Vinyl, Lumberjanes and Giant Days
Thank you to NetGalley and BOOM! Studios for providing me with an eARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

A few months ago I read the first volume of Heavy Vinyl, also by Carly Usdin, and I loved its casual style and how funny it was, so I was very excited to read The Avant-Guards - and I’m glad to say this new series lived up to my expectations.

Along the same lines as Heavy Vinyl, The Avant-Guards tells the story of a girl who arrives at a new place and makes a group of very varied
Ana
Over far too quickly but definitely eager to know how this story will continue. Loved the cast of characters, their distinct individual personalities, and their backstories. The diversity of LGBTQ representation was refreshing, lovely, and welcomed. The vibrant panel colors and layout designs gave the story so much dimension and movement. And how could I possibly forget the clever college names, the fun basketball montages, and the PUPPIES!?!! I'm ready for Volume 2!
Ben Ace
NOTE: I received an advance reader copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinions or the way I talk about the book.

Content Warning : Panic attacks (discussions, no descriptions or portrayals)

UGH, this was too short! And to leave off on a cliffhanger like that?! I'm almost sad I read it as an advance copy, because now I'll have to wait even longer. Almost.

The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1 alternatingly follows Charlie Bravo and Olivia "Liv"
Bookish
One of my 2019 reading resolutions was to read more graphic novels, and after Kelly raved about Carly Usdin’s The Avant-Guards, I just had to give it a read! This story follows Charlie, who has just transferred to a performing arts college and is recruited by the new basketball team. As a former basketball player who didn’t enjoy the team experience at her last school, Charlie is very reluctant to join and requires much pestering by Liv, the team captain. Liv was definitely my favorite character ...more

• Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Ghosted in L.A., Vol. 1
  • Stage Dreams
  • Mooncakes
  • Lumberjanes: The Shape of Friendship
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Bury the Lede
  • Hotel Dare
  • The Black Mage
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Eat, and Love Yourself
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 3: Encore
  • Snapdragon
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • The Okay Witch
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11 (Giant Days, #11)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 13: Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
Carly Usdin is an award-winning filmmaker based in Los Angeles. Her first feature, Suicide Kale, won the Audience Award for Best First Feature at Outfest 2016. After playing over 30 festivals worldwide the film is now available on iTunes and Amazon Prime. In 2017 Carly served as showrunner and director for the scripted series Threads, produced by New Form for Verizon’s go90 platform. The 20-episod ...more

The Avant-Guards (8 books)
  • The Avant-Guards #1
  • The Avant-Guards #6
  • The Avant-Guards #7
  • The Avant-Guards #8

Articles featuring this book

Want to encourage young readers to keep up their reading habits? Look no further than this year's buzziest YA and middle-grade graphic...