Start by marking “David Mogo, Godhunter” as Want to Read:
David Mogo, Godhunter

David Mogo, Godhunter

Nigerian God-Punk - a powerful and atmospheric urban fantasy set in Lagos.

Since the Orisha War that rained thousands of deities down on the streets of Lagos, David Mogo, demigod, scours Eko’s dank underbelly for a living wage as a freelance Godhunter. Despite pulling his biggest feat yet by capturing a high god for a renowned Eko wizard, David knows his job’s bad luck. He’
Published July 9th 2019 by Abaddon

To ask other readers questions about David Mogo, Godhunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Mogo, Godhunter

Start your review of David Mogo, Godhunter
Emma
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
The gods rained from the sky in a deluge known as the Falling, and Lagos will never be the same again. Godhunter David Mogo, half god himself, has taken on a job way about his pay grade and now everything he holds dear is in danger etc etc.

Split into three interlinked sections, this follows a pretty typical path of self discovery. Yet what starts out as a decent intro quickly morphs into torturous internalising, over explanation, repetition, and a serious lack of forward momentum. Even the figh
K.J. Charles
Absolutely genius idea--the gods have come to Lagos and they aren't very nice. David Mogo is a half orisha half human godhunter, who starts off trying to deal with the weird godling creatures that infest the city, and ends up getting into a full blown war.

The worldbuilding, steeped in both Nigerian and other African myth and in Lagos itself, is fantastic and the dialogue in particular terrifically vivid. I love the different gods, and the way David's found family grows around him. I kind of wan
Amyn
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a Nigerian girl, all my life I read fantasy books by white writers and always understood it no matter how it was written. I was almost misdirected by reviews of white readers of this book. Most of them don't seem "to get it." They DNF it at 25% and have the guts to put long commentary on the book, they even go as far as rating a book they didn't finish. Who the hell does that?!?

Enough of this negative talk, here is why you should read David Mogo, Godhunter.

1- It’s a pleasurable adventure. A d
Adam
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 33%

While "David Mogo, Godhunter" started off on the right foot with a Nigeria-set "Phillip Marlowe meets 'American Gods'" atmosphere, I was put off by many of its writing decisions that became more and more obstrusive as it went along.

What worked: the setting and world-building. The story takes place in modern-day Nigeria a few years after an event called The Falling, when gods had been kicked out of their pantheon and are now forced to roam the surrounding the region of Lagos. David Mogo
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)

Future Publication Date: July 9th, 2019

Execution: ⭐⭐⭐
Enjoyment: ⭐⭐⭐

Key Descriptors: Gods, Godpunk, Novellas, Urban Fantasy, African Fantasy, Nigeria, Lagos, OwnVoices

Applicable /r/Fantasy Bingo Squares: Novella (hard mode), Twins (hard mode), #OwnVoices

Premise: The heavens have burst and the gods have fallen. Some are minor pests, mere godlings, but some are high gods with unknown magics and powers. David Mogo, a half-god, contracts himself out to the people of Lagos to help with godling infesta

Lara Kareem
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been peppering my friend Amyn about my feelings when it comes to this book (which I completely adore) all day, because of how an ethnic group of people have decided to copy and paste each other’s review, with many of them not finishing reading the book and giving it 2 stars ratings on Goodreads. I really hope lots of Nigerians pick up this book to read and share their thoughts about it on Goodreads with good ratings, to bump it’s ratings up fairly.

This book is so good and magically, in my
ijeoma Agbaje

Urban Fantasy is not a genre that i hold in the highest esteems. There's something about fine tuning mythology that just makes me unable to relate to the genre. That being said, i'm not going to hate on a well written book simply because of the genre.
This book started out great and crash landed into terrible. It was insane how much of a 360 it did in terms of going from good to bad.
📍The Bad

📌Suyi Davies drags out this story in ways it should not have been dragged out for. Honestly if the story ha

Lukasz
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

Described as a Nigerian god-punk, Okungbowa’s David Mogo sounded like something I absolutely had to read. The story, told through the first-person POV of titular Godhunter, dives into Orisha mythology. The story develops on the street Lagos. As European I found the setting fascinating and exotic.

David works freelance hunting lesser godlings. It turns out a powerful wizard plans to use one of his catches to seize control of the city. David has to fix his mistake and save the day.

I like the
Kaa
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are some books that remind me just why I love SFF so much, and this is one of them. David Mogo, Godhunter has a wonderful balance of believable characters in fantastical situations and entertaining adventures that speak to realistic dilemmas and issues. Every time I picked this book up, I found myself drawn into the story and world, often reading for much longer than I had planned. I am really looking forward to reading more from this author!

Some specific things I loved:
-David's voice, whi
temi ★
YORUBA BASED FANTASIES
AHHHHHHH
YORUBA BASED FANTASIES
AHHHhhHhHHhHHHHhhhHhHhh

[this has bad reviews, but idc idc 👊🏾👊🏾👊🏾👊🏾👊🏾]
Jewel
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I recieved thus ARC for review from Netgalley and Rebellion Publishing (thank you so much!) I enjoyed these stories very much. It's always awesome to see yourself represented in a story.

The code switching was very interesting to see. It's something that I have to do in my life as well. Seeing the main character use it was relatable.

The was tons of action and description. Some might say info dumpy, but I enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to learn a little bit about the some of the Gods of Lagos a
Sana
Nov 15, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
THIS SOUNDS AWESOME AND FUN
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Trigger Warnings Implied predator / Implied torture / 'Curing' of Speech-Impaired Character

David Mogo, Godhunter is an interesting own voices fantasy novel set in our world, that with a bit of extra attention could have been great. Instead it flies just short of falling flat.

I was quite honestly very excited for this book. I mean it is an own voices book when it comes down to the culture. Lagos, Nigeria is where the author comes from and just that alone is something that sets this book apart. A
Dora Okeyo
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
David Mogo is a demigod. His mother is the god of war and chaos and his father, well, he was just a common man- a mortal which is why he hunts gods and godlings, because his essence can sense their presence. And also their presence in Lagos causes nothing but chaos for human beings and he is not pleased about it, not one bit.
But David’s not perfect: he is conflicted about a host of things that go as far as his birth, being abandoned by his mother, always feeling like he doesn’t belong and now th
Lauren Stoolfire
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF'd @ 35%

The concept of this book absolutely reeled me in from the get go. Unfortunately though the actual execution of the story didn't work for me. There's way too much tell and infodumps that it bogs everything and loses its forward momentum - and my interest. Thanks anyway, NetGalley.
Ada
Dec 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
***WHO SUCKED ME IN***

Thomas from SFF180 in their SFF180 🐉 Anticipated Fantasy 2019 video published on 24 dec. 2018

I beginning to feel a bit superficial because I think most of the books that ends up on my TBR get there because I watched somebody's video and the cover intrigued me...

Do I really care?

Not really.
Aisha (thatothernigeriangirl)
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

This book came under my radar courtesy of Amyn and because I haven’t read speculative fiction in a while, I gave in and requested a review copy. It turns out I was right when I said Children of Blood and Bone did a terrible job of portraying Yorùbá gods🤷🏾‍♀️.

David Mogo Godhunter tells the story of a half-god/half-human, David Mogo, who inadvertently has to save Lagos from complete destruction and oblivion, and on the same quest, reconcile with his ‘otherness’. While not flawless, I maint
Becca (Horners_book_corner)
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read, I liked Mogo's writing style and world-building, the story was exciting and unique with good character development. I love the cover art and the cultural elements. I did not know I was a fan of the "Nigerian God-Punk" genre but this book convinced me!

Synopsis: "Since the Orisha War that rained thousands of deities down on the streets of Lagos, David Mogo, demigod, scours Eko’s dank underbelly for a living wage as a freelance Godhunter. Despite pulling his biggest feat
Nursebookie
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley, author and publisher for the ARC as an ebook copy.

David Mogo, Godhunter was an interesting story by Suyi Davies Okungbowa. The book is told in first person POV that is action packed portrayal of an apocalyptic fall of gods. The chapters are short and always leaves the reader in a cliff hanger to keep the page turning. If you are a fan of the supernatural and urban fantasy with amazing characters, this book is for you. I loved also the inclusion of the language involved (such
Layla
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I was sent an eARC of this through NetGalley for my honest feedback.

I really liked the premise of this story but sadly, it didn't grip me as much as I wanted.

Bit of a confusing start, jumps right into the story without giving the reader enough background to be invested.

Literally describes 'Naruto running' in it.

I enjoy the idea behind the story but find the flow difficult.
Mairi White
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Brief disclaimer, this is the first book I have received since signing up to Netgalley so I read an advanced reader copy for free in exchange for this review. I had been wanting to read the book since I first heard about it (also look at that cover, it is absolutely gorgeous). It’s described as Godpunk, which isn’t a term I have heard before, but sounded fascinating.

I will try and keep at least some of the review spoiler free since the book isn’t out yet, if there is anything that has spoilers i
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
(e ARC received via Netgalley)

This novel had immense potential, but it was uneven in terms of plot, pacing, and the execution of the story. It is basically dipped in Orisha mythology and the Yoruba folklore. I was eager to read this book because of the awesome description in Goodreads, and had high hopes of an action-packed, and a thrilling story. But, it didn't fulfill my expectations. There is action, and some of the characters were really intriguing, but, the book showed more, rather than tel
Izzy
Jul 14, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc
DNFed @ 25%

Although the mythology is super interesting, the narrative choices were very jarring to me. The unexplained switch between a Nigerian dialect and typical Western English every now and then kept forcing me out of the story - the characters spoke in dialect but David's internal voice didn't, which didn't make sense. And it's very telling, not really showing.

In general, I was very disappointed with this story.
Elizabeth
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
An opportunity to read Suyi Davies Okungbowa's David Mongo, Godhunter for was presented, and I am a firm believer in never saying no to a free read. So I dove in, with nothing but the brief description provided by netgalley.com, and kept expectations and premature judgement at bay in order to write a fair review.

David Mongo, Godhunter is told by David, and in his first-person experience portrays the story of his fight and survival after the apocalyptic fall of gods. The story itself was not what
MRIDULA
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
So. Very. Disappointing. Like, seriously, I expected better.
David Mogo, a half God who is also extremely complaining and way too proud person, decides to take up a job that looks impossible.
Now, we all know how the story of demigods goes. Sprinkle a lot of self-righteous speech, with a dash of self-doubt. And then trust the author to kill the rest of the plot. This book is repetitive, monotonous and has a pace slower than a snail.
What started as an extremely promising pot, it soon turned out to
Jim
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
David Mogo, Godhunter by Suyi Davies Okungbowa
Review of a free Netgalley Review Copy.

David Mogo is a hunter of godlings, a cleaner of messes made by the minor deities running loose in Lagos, Nigeria after an event called the Fall, when Gods and Goddesses of Africa's pantheon(s) come to earth and start raising havoc. He himself is a demigod, the son of an unknown goddess who possesses strength, stamina, and an attitude to match.
His mentor, Papa Udi, is a wizard and a man of few words, and togethe
Brittany Ren
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Have you ever experienced someone telling you an exciting situation they found themselves in? But they were really bad storytellers? So maybe they would describe the cool awesome parts well and then halfway through they realized they forgot to tell you the main points that led up to this awesome part of the story, so they quickly explain the main points in a rush. Or omitted the time or place of the story because it’s not the details leading to the awesome part that is interesting? They just nee ...more
Becky
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Our protagonist David Mogo is a demigod godhunter in Lagos after The Falling, an event where the gods fell to Earth upending normal life across the globe. He scrapes together a living for himself and his adoptive grandfather figure mainly by chasing misbehaving godlings out of people’s homes, but the story opens on a dangerous yet tempting job offer from a powerful and creepy wizard to capture a pair of gods. ⁣

I don’t know if I’m getting harsher, but I was bummed that this book didn’t land bett
Alison (Story-eyed Reviews)
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoyed this immensely. I’m a huge fan of The Dresden Files and so when I saw that this book was being described as something similar, but set in Nigeria with a whole new mythos to explore, my expectations were set high. David Mogo did not disappoint.

In particular, I love how the author uses First Person point of view in this book. David’s voice was smart and quick, funny and authentic, and fun to follow through every twist and turn. His way of seeing and describing things kept me reading thro
Koeur
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.3/5

Review: So here’s the deal. I like movement that builds the characters that play in the story line sand box, especially in SciFi/Fantasy novels. Things like; lengthy internal dialogue that covers anything from scene descriptions to backstory tend to halt the movement. This stuttering really lends itself to non-fiction novels. I get that author’s are trying to enrich the pages with humanistic blather but you can only take so much angst ridden, soul searching hero-rhetoric. And boy ho
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Meet Me in the Future: Stories
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Titanshade
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
  • Queen of the Conquered (Islands of Blood and Storm, #1)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Ormeshadow
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • Hexarchate Stories
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
Suyi Davies Okungbowa is a Nigerian author of fantasy, science fiction and horror inspired by his West-African origins. His highly-anticipated debut, the godpunk fantasy novel David Mogo, Godhunter (Abaddon, 2019), was hailed as “the subgenre’s platonic deific ideal”. His shorter fiction and essays have appeared in international periodicals like Tor.com, Lightspeed, Nightmare, Strange Horizons, Fi ...more