Start by marking “The Road Home” as Want to Read:
The Road Home

The Road Home

(The Broken Road #3)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Richard Paul Evans, the dramatic conclusion in the riveting Broken Road trilogy—a powerful redemption story about finding happiness on a pilgrimage across iconic Route 66.

Chicago celebrity and pitchman Charles James is supposed to be dead. Everyone believes he was killed in a fiery plane crash, a flight he narrowly missed. But than
Published May 7th 2019 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Road Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Home

The Road Home is the third and final installment in Richard Paul Evans' trilogy: Broken Road. Fictional main character, Charles James completes his pilgrimage of self-reflection across Route 66 to find a greater definition of happiness. With a strong spiritual component, life lessons we can all benefit from, and a setting that could easily find a spot on a Travel Channel documentary, the Broken Road Trilogy is sure to satisfy Evans' many loyal fans.

My favorite quote:
"Did you find what you wante
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
What a great conclusion to the trilogy. I love all three books in the Broken Road Series. I loved the giving heart and the stories and lessons. Evans just can't write a bad book. This is a must read series. I highly recommend it.
Janet C-B
This is the final book in the Broken Road Trilogy by Richard Paul Evans. The main character is Charles James, a successful Chicago businessman, who is reported dead after a plane crash. Given the circumstances, Charles opts to leave his life behind and walk along Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA in hopes of reconciling with his ex-wife.

In this novel, Charles resumes his walk in Texas, then continues walking through New Mexico and Arizona before arriving at his destination in California
Starjustin
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another awesome novel from the author of the Walk Series. This being the third and final book of the Broken Road Series, I continue to take these journeys with enjoyment and great satisfaction.

I highly recommend this trilogy as well as this well acclaimed author. I myself, look forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Chris
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the fitting conclusion of a trilogy. It is the final story of an individual’s personal and professional struggle. A most necessary introspective journey, of his final redemption, confirmation of faith, finding peace in his soul and deep love in the heart. Making wrong things right, and giving back to those in need, which he is able to do in impactful ways, now that he has seen and experienced situations he would not have even bothered with before. This is Charles James.

I really lik
Anna
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The final installment of the Broken Road series finds Charles James walking the last leg of his journey along Route 66. Charles feels great anticipation and intrepidation about seeing his wife at the end of his walk. His greatest regret is loosing her due to his vanity and greed, as expressed in this quote: "There is so much I would do differently. I read somewhere that too often what we want most in life is just the chance to do what we should have done to begin with."
The people he has encounte
Nana
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book has a lot of history about Route 66 and the people he meets along the way. I kept thinking about the first Walk series, which the anticipation was so high. I just couldn't wait to see what was happening next. This book and the series didn't have that for me. I kept thinking it was like Route 66, in its glory days, all the action, fun and excitement but now there isn't much there and the excitement isn't there.
Charles James as he was walking along Route 66, starting learning about himsel
Vannetta Chapman
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me an excellent book always leads to Google. I want to know if the events described actually happened--the passages feel that real to me. I wasn't able to ascertain if this series by Richard Paul Evans is real. The best I could find was "loosely based on real events." In this last book of the series, the narrative frame at the beginning and the end certainly make it feel real.

And then I realized it doesn't matter if it "really happened." The lessons learned are the same. This book is filled
Randall Merriott
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Seemed like some of the writing was lazy, like he was tired of the journey and just wanted to finish.

Does he get paid by the chapter? This book has 53 chapters, some only two pages in length.

Sandia Mountains are east of Albuquerque, not west.

If Amanda booked him at a Hyatt Regency why did he go to a Marriott instead?

I guess that’s the reason for the disclaimer at the end.
Maria
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the final installment of the series, and I liked this book a lot better than the second, mainly because he finally got to the point. Book 2 was more of a wandering travelogue and it got tiresome in places. I like some of the lessons learned by Charles James, who literally walked a 2,000 mile long road from Chicago to Los Angeles (Route 66). Along the way he learned a lot about himself and made some conclusions about how to live his life in the future. Of course, having millions of dollar ...more
Heather
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Spoiler alert- Didn’t really get into until the end. I found it boring hearing what he ate and where he slept day after day. Good ending but just too good of an ending. I found it unrealistic that is ex-wife who was engaged is just now available.
Sandi
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a very good closure to this trilogy. The main character Charles James had made a lot of mistakes in life. He owned up to what hurt he had caused people and redeemed himself by helping others.
Rick Darouse
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in a 3 book series. I wonderful tale of a man’s search for meaning. Which of course was an excellent read itself! What surprised me most was that the series caught the interest of my 10 year old boy. He read the series, twice. It’s sort of an induced riches to rags to riches story with lots of humor, kindness, passion, questioning of a higher power, romance and personal consternation. The books are short and very well written. All of them reminded me of The Shack” with their ...more
Lisa Petro
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors delivers again. This is the end of his trilogy about a man who gets a second chance at life and he really does. I love the short chapters and I did get through this pretty quickly. A great series for anyone looking for a good, clean read with some inspiration piled on top.
Jennie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the last book in the series about Charles walking the entail Route 66. Charles was booked on a plane that crashed with no survivors. He forgot his laptop and when he returned to the gate, the plane had departed. He felt that he was given a second chance. In this book he finishes his walk. After he finishes he repays some folks that he met along the way, he reconnects with family, and finds his ex wife. The last part of the book were the most interesting to me.
Verona
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit like a travel guide but he eventually came back to the characters at the end and it had a satisfying conclusion. I've been a bit disappointed in "the walk" series and this "broken road" series because they start well with good characters but turn into a book about where the character eats and sleeps for the night.
Janet R
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I trudged through this book.
Richard Paul Evans used to be my favorite author. I would set aside a long evening and read his (then) latest book cover to cover. I couldn’t wait to turn the page.
This was so tedious. I don’t care what he ate for breakfast or which road he was walking on. There was essentially no story for pages and pages. It got better towards the end but I doubt I’ll ever read another Evans book. His last two series have been disappointing. I feel he has run out of new ideas so to
Kim
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This finale to the series is worth every minute of your time. As always, Evans writes such detailed descriptions and dialogue that readers are immersed in the drama until the last word and beyond.

The final leg of Charles James' journey is a true dichotomy of ease and difficulty, grief and joy, tears and laughter. It is a beautiful account of redemption, restoration and hope.
Jrobert
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: series-books
I so enjoyed this trilogy finish. The Road home is a story of redemption—-a sort of do over or u turn in life. Charles James maybe fictitious, but his story is one of how anyone can change their life’s direction. He walked the 2500 miles from Chicago to Sana Monica, changing physically as well as learning about himself—-someone he’d decided he didn’t like very much. He changed some of the wrongs from his past but also changed the lives of some he met along the way. Life lessons in a book.
JoAnn Hall
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This series was too much like the walk, the story seemed to start the same way, with someone having a tragic event and his solution was to take a very long walk. The story was predictable and the insert of his blog telling us what he did to save his own marriage was a little contrived. I have enjoyed his other books but not this one.
Karen Witter
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
too similar to his last series (the walk)
some moving episodes
wrapped up too neat and tidy... felt disneyfied...
Cynthia
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Richard Paul Evans books. However after reading this trilogy , I was disappointed in the way it ended. It lacked the luster , and surprise of Evans books. It left me with a sad feeling.
skip thurnauer
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The Road Home is the 3rd and final book(s) in the Broken Road series. I enjoyed the book as much for where it takes place as the story itself. The series opens with motivational speaker and multimillionaire Charles James escaping a fiery death in an airplane accident when he fails to re-board after leaving his laptop in an airport shop. Everyone believes he has died in the accident and he doesn't disabuse people of this notion. Prior to the crash, Charles had been bothered by bad dreams and was ...more
Gale
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ive read ALL of Richard Paul Evans books, I began when his very first book came out The Christmas Box.... I was instantly captivated... and I've read every single book since. I loved each of his novels, but then the WALK series began.... I Hated waiting for each book to come out, they were released a year apart.... but for those of you just finding his books now You are very lucky as you can read from one book to the next.
Now with that said I just finished reading, The Road Home, it's book 3 of
Marji Morris
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is book three of a series but can be read as a stand-alone. Like some of Evans's other work, the novel borders on shlocky, but somehow it works anyway. I got caught up in the story of a hugely successful and previously highly selfish and obnoxious businessman who, when the plane he was presumed to be aboard crashed, decided he needed to walk the entire distance of Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA., and remain anonymous. Everyone thinks Charles James is dead, and in a way he is beca ...more
Nancy
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.9 I just loved this uplifting series on redemption, healing , love , and self discovering what’s really important in life. I didn’t want this book to end , it just grabbed my heart. After a tragedy Charles James , decides to walk the entire Route 66. This book is the culmination of his walk. We learn the results of the walk and the effects on Charles’s life. The story reminds us that it’s not necessary to punish yourself for wrongs you might have done but you should change yourself so you don’ ...more
Kate
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really good way to end the story of Charles James. I liked being able to see how his journey along Route 66 was able to help him change and become the person he wanted to become. Without giving spoilers, I will say that I thought the way Charles was able to be a blessing to the people who had blessed and taught him was wonderful. He 'put his money where his mouth was'.
Also, I have to say that I chuckled a bit at reading a book where the author included himself as a minor cha
Patricia
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Richard Paul Evans never disappoints. I l liked the book and read it in a few days. The book finished the trilogy but it was not one or Richards books. I loved the story.
The fact that this man had an opportunity to turn his life around was wonderful.
I am not a fan of a lot of descriptions, so some times I just sipped over them.
I am sure a person that is familiar with Route 66 was able to picture most of the descriptions and might even had a personal memory of being there.
Audrey
If you want to read a story of redemption this is it. The Road Home is the conclusion of the journey Charles James took. He walked the entire Route 66 to find a deeper meaning in life and find it he did. His life changed completely. The ending was surprising but delightful. This series is a touching, and I think true, account of one man journey to discover what is most important.
Sharon
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sorry to see this series end...thoroughly enjoyed it!
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more

The Broken Road (3 books)
  • The Broken Road (The Broken Road, #1)
  • The Forgotten Road (The Broken Road, #2)
“That which doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger,” Mike said. “Except bears. Bears will kill you.” 1 likes
“We always assume that there’s tomorrow to make things right. Maybe that’s why the Bible says to not procrastinate your day of repentance.” 1 likes