Start by marking “The Road Home” as Want to Read:
The Road Home

The Road Home

(The Broken Road #3)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Richard Paul Evans, the dramatic conclusion in the riveting Broken Road trilogy—a powerful redemption story about finding happiness on a pilgrimage across iconic Route 66.

Chicago celebrity and pitchman Charles James is supposed to be dead. Everyone believes he was killed in a fiery plane crash, a flight he narrowly missed. But than
Published May 7th 2019 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Road Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Home

The Road Home is the third and final installment in Richard Paul Evans' trilogy: Broken Road. Fictional main character, Charles James completes his pilgrimage of self-reflection across Route 66 to find a greater definition of happiness. With a strong spiritual component, life lessons we can all benefit from, and a setting that could easily find a spot on a Travel Channel documentary, the Broken Road Trilogy is sure to satisfy Evans' many loyal fans.

My favorite quote:
"Did you find what you wante
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
What a great conclusion to the trilogy. I love all three books in the Broken Road Series. I loved the giving heart and the stories and lessons. Evans just can't write a bad book. This is a must read series. I highly recommend it.
Nana
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book has a lot of history about Route 66 and the people he meets along the way. I kept thinking about the first Walk series, which the anticipation was so high. I just couldn't wait to see what was happening next. This book and the series didn't have that for me. I kept thinking it was like Route 66, in its glory days, all the action, fun and excitement but now there isn't much there and the excitement isn't there.
Charles James as he was walking along Route 66, starting learning about himsel
Sandi
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a very good closure to this trilogy. The main character Charles James had made a lot of mistakes in life. He owned up to what hurt he had caused people and redeemed himself by helping others.
Rick Darouse
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in a 3 book series. I wonderful tale of a man’s search for meaning. Which of course was an excellent read itself! What surprised me most was that the series caught the interest of my 10 year old boy. He read the series, twice. It’s sort of an induced riches to rags to riches story with lots of humor, kindness, passion, questioning of a higher power, romance and personal consternation. The books are short and very well written. All of them reminded me of The Shack” with their ...more
Randall Merriott
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Seemed like some of the writing was lazy, like he was tired of the journey and just wanted to finish.

Does he get paid by the chapter? This book has 53 chapters, some only two pages in length.

Sandia Mountains are east of Albuquerque, not west.

If Amanda booked him at a Hyatt Regency why did he go to a Marriott instead?

I guess that’s the reason for the disclaimer at the end.
Gale
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ive read ALL of Richard Paul Evans books, I began when his very first book came out The Christmas Box.... I was instantly captivated... and I've read every single book since. I loved each of his novels, but then the WALK series began.... I Hated waiting for each book to come out, they were released a year apart.... but for those of you just finding his books now You are very lucky as you can read from one book to the next.
Now with that said I just finished reading, The Road Home, it's book 3 of
Nancy
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.9 I just loved this uplifting series on redemption, healing , love , and self discovering what’s really important in life. I didn’t want this book to end , it just grabbed my heart. After a tragedy Charles James , decides to walk the entire Route 66. This book is the culmination of his walk. We learn the results of the walk and the effects on Charles’s life. The story reminds us that it’s not necessary to punish yourself for wrongs you might have done but you should change yourself so you don’ ...more
Patricia
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Richard Paul Evans never disappoints. I l liked the book and read it in a few days. The book finished the trilogy but it was not one or Richards books. I loved the story.
The fact that this man had an opportunity to turn his life around was wonderful.
I am not a fan of a lot of descriptions, so some times I just sipped over them.
I am sure a person that is familiar with Route 66 was able to picture most of the descriptions and might even had a personal memory of being there.
Sharon
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sorry to see this series end...thoroughly enjoyed it!
Tami Anderson
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great stpry

This story teaches you not to judge people by their outside. You don't know their story. It makes you stop and think about life and no matter what you are going through someone is either worse off or in the same boat.
Crystal
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great wrap up of this trilogy by Richard Paul Evans. Loved Charles's story
Kim Territo
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The final book in this series and it did not disappoint. Always a feel good!!
Steve Mills
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama
Great conclusion to this 3 part series.
Jrobert
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: series-books
I so enjoyed this trilogy finish. The Road home is a story of redemption—-a sort of do over or u turn in life. Charles James maybe fictitious, but his story is one of how anyone can change their life’s direction. He walked the 2500 miles from Chicago to Sana Monica, changing physically as well as learning about himself—-someone he’d decided he didn’t like very much. He changed some of the wrongs from his past but also changed the lives of some he met along the way. Life lessons in a book.
Tracy
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Such a beautiful story of learning oneself. The detail about Route 66 is so wonderful! Don't want to WALK it, but would love to visit more, pieces are in my area ;)
Robin
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

As expected this is an amazing story. RPE never disappoints. Loved the ending and the closure of the characters in the story.
Lois R
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first 200 pages were nothing more than a listing of the sights seen and the cities that Charles walked through. Got boring, but the last 150 pages were about his redemption, the actions he took to pay back the three people who were most important to him in his walk and seeing him put back together the important relationships in his life. It was good to see that someone could actually change in this way. However, three books might have been a little long to tell the story.
Jackie Rogers
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is last book of the story of Charles James (not his real name). All three books are inspiring, but the ending made this book. Charles walked Route 66 to get to his ex-wife who was engaged to marry another. His adventures along the way were exciting. Loved the way he fixed things for some of the people he met. Read this guys story. It is amazing.
Tim Brindle
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Don't give up. Everyone who got to where they are had to start from where they were."

The above quote is one of many inspirational pearls of wisdom you'll find in Evans' latest emotionally-charged book "The Road Home." "Home" concludes a 3-part series about Charles James, a man who walks the entire Route 66 after he is forced to reexamine his life and its choices. It is a book of redemption, and discovering what is really important in life.

What I love about Evans' books is how you can really ide
Debbie
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved traveling along Route 66 with Charles. He was very informative and I enjoyed meeting so many different people along the way. I was very happy at how this book ended and how he helped so many people. Yes, it is better to give than receive!
Amy
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story comes to an end

I loved everything! Charles descriptions of his experiences and history of the different places he walked through were thorough and insightful. This series made me think about life and how we all interact with each other. It's made me laugh, cry and cheer. Another amazing story by an amazing author. Thank you Mr. Evans!
Wendy
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing as always!!
Earlynne
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The end of a great 3 book story. Love reading them, hate when they actually end and there is no more to read.
Joyce Cottrell
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the final volume in the Route 66 trilogy. I found it wonderfully reminiscent of the author's The Walk series (which I recommend to everyone looking for a good book).
Janet Warren
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great ending to Charles' walk, but for anyone who didn't read the two before it, you might have had difficulty understanding the history.
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be completely honest, I was a bit disappointed in this book. I would of like to see way more interaction and dialogue with his ex-wife in the reunion. There was soo much anticipation and the pure point of his walk so it was a letdown to not to see how he truly worked out his relationship with her and how he was getting to know his son. The redemption acts in which he helping some of the people that helped him, was similar theme in a couple of his stories. I gave it a 4 stars, but it’s more li ...more
JoAnne
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read and better than anticipated culmination of the series. The Road Home was better than I hoped for. I loved how the story flowed and how Charles didn't forget all those he met on his travels. The story continued nicely from the first book to the last and held my interest from the first page to the last. Charles' contemplation of his walk from Chicago to LA on Route 66 - over 2500 miles, brought on different emotions to both himself and the reader. Why he was doing it and not le ...more
Janet C-B
This is the final book in the Broken Road Trilogy by Richard Paul Evans. The main character is Charles James, a successful Chicago businessman, who is reported dead after a plane crash. Given the circumstances, Charles opts to leave his life behind and walk along Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA in hopes of reconciling with his ex-wife.

In this novel, Charles resumes his walk in Texas, then continues walking through New Mexico and Arizona before arriving at his destination in California
Greg
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clearly this won't be everyone's idea of fun, but I love the idea of walking Route 66 (and other long walks). I've ridden portions of the Mother Road by motorcycle and car, and it sounds like it would be both challenging and interesting to walk it. So, RPE's descriptions of things to see and do, and James' experiences along the way made for an interesting read. YMMV.

There were also elements that I found thought-provoking for one reason or another. Some (for me) memorable passages:

1. Part of his
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more

The Broken Road (3 books)
  • The Broken Road (The Broken Road, #1)
  • The Forgotten Road (The Broken Road, #2)