Start by marking “Lincoln's Spies: Their Secret War to Save a Nation” as Want to Read:
Lincoln's Spies: Their Secret War to Save a Nation

Lincoln's Spies: Their Secret War to Save a Nation

A major addition to the history of the Civil War, Lincoln’s Spies is a riveting account of the secret battles waged by Union agents to save a nation. Filled with espionage, sabotage, and intrigue, it is also a striking portrait of a shrewd president who valued what his operatives uncovered.

Veteran journalist Douglas Waller, who has written ground-breaking intelligence his
Published August 6th 2019 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln's Spies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln's Spies

Steve
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite time periods in American history is the Civil War. I have read and love reading books on the Civil War, from the generals to the battles. This was a very interesting and intriguing book. Not much is mentioned about spies during the Civil War and this was an excellent book about the spy rings set up by Abraham Lincoln and other Union generals and how they went behind enemy lines on dangerous espionage counter missions on Confederate troop movements.
Angie Boyter
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
This is a meticulously detailed, impressively researched book on the Civil War, centering on the role of intelligence. History buffs will LOVE it, but there was a bit more than I really wanted to know about battle details. etc., so I confess I skimmed or even skipped some parts. There re a LOT of persons and places mentioned, and it was impossible to keep them all straight. To appreciate it properly, the book requires concentrated attention; it is not a vacation book!
John Wood
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not an exhaustive history of all the spies operating during the American Civil War but a very well written and researched account of four major spies. Allan Pinkerton is known as the first private detective in the US, despite his lucrative private practice, he was not the best Civil War spy, grossly overestimating strength. George Sharpe was much more efficient than Pinkerton and fielded a group of operatives far better than any the Confederates had. Elizabeth Van Lew was a wealthy resident of R ...more
EMMANUEL
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very accurate of proving to me of my theory of Lincoln's assassination. I'm going to keep the verdict of my theory, personal, but what I want to share is that this book was definitely a great book to understand the stories in which fashioned the identity and belief in which we perceive Abraham Lincoln to be.

The book is well adapted to the story of what Lincoln is disclosed to the public to be. This book provides execution detail of the accounts of the progressions of the Civil War
Nick
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is an odd mixture of historical and biographical information about the subjects, who were all in theory working on behalf of the Union during the American Civil War. Their roles, official or otherwise, were in aid of what might be called espionage or counter-espionage, but the people were an odd mixture of altruists and con artists, detectives and do-gooders, and that made the story even more interesting.
By the end of the book, I did have a question: How the heck did Lafayette Baker ke
Ddoddmccue
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lincoln's Spies is a masterful telling of the under emphasized role of intelligence gathering as a significant contribution to Union efforts. Waller structures what could be an overwhelming amount of research through the efforts of four spies- Allan Pinkerton, Lafayette Baker, George Sharpe, and Elizabeth Van Lew- during the Civil War. Each of the four offer unique motivation, perspectives, and outcomes within the context of the war's progression, adding new insights into well known battles and ...more
Joseph
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good multi subject biography. I found this book to be very readable and the narrative flowed easily. Also, the author had a way of keeping the reader's attention; each chapter focused on a different story line. I hadn't read this author before, but based on this book I will consider reading some of his other work. This book was a good starting point for anyone interested in espionage during the Civil War years.
Margaret Connelly
Sep 04, 2019
Sandra
Sep 11, 2019
Bridget Ryan
rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2019