Start by marking “Max Attacks” as Want to Read:
Max Attacks

Max Attacks

Fish and birds and lizards and socks…is there anything Max won’t attack? Watch your ankles and find out in this clever, rhyming picture book about a very naughty kitty cat.

Max is a cat. He attacks. From socks to strings to many a fish, attacking, for Max, is most de-lish. But how many of these things can he actually catch? Well, let’s just say it’s no even match.
Published June 11th 2019 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

To ask other readers questions about Max Attacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max Attacks

Start your review of Max Attacks
Carrie
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats
A day in the life of a cat.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Max the cat is on the attack. Fish, the dog, shoestrings, socks...what will Max attack next?

A fun story of Max on the prowl.
Abigail
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Cat Lovers / Readers in the Market for Entertaining New Picture-Books
Max was a cat with paws made for pouncing, legs built for trouncing, and a heart bent on attack. His fascination with the fishbowl remained a constant in his day, although other matters - the lizard climbing the blinds, the string attached to one of his human's shoes - also provided entertainment. In the end, his attack on his piscine neighbors was messy but not entirely triumphant. Fortunately, he had a bowl of crunchies to turn to...

I found Max Attacks an absolutely delightful picture-book, ap
Julie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
“He wants to eat the fishies” – Hank, 4 years old. Yep that’s my son getting into and enjoying books that I read to him. I love to read. And I super love that my son loves books too.

I enjoyed reading this one twice in one day – first for me – then for my son. Max Attacks is about a super feisty feline who wants to attack everything that catches his eyes. Socks and strings. Especially the fish!

Max Attacks is told is cute and catchy rhymes and is a story that is fun to read aloud! The illustration
Kaethe Douglas
Max Attacks - Kathi Appelt, Penelope Dullaghan Max is a fierce cat. Max is blue, which is never remarked upon. I am in favor of a world in which cats can go around being primary colors without comment.Library copy

KDV
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, cats
Excellent book about cats being terrible/the best. Definitely deserves a spot among the very best cat books.
Maxwell Rae
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Roar!
Tegan
It is clear the author and illustrator are cat people. So accurate!
Emily (Falling for YA)
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just love this book. The flow is great - it's so much fun to read aloud to my daughter.
Sydney Young
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lonestarlit, children
Sweet children's book about a naughty cat. VERY relatable. Page turner as you fear the trouble Max will get into. He just can't seem to help himself. I want to give this to every family with little ones who also has a new pet!

Here is the review from my Blog: Max . . . Attacks, by Kathi Appelt is that summer book I've been looking for, and I want copies galore to give away to all my little friends and their harried parents, because it will definitely be good for some sweet snuggle and read in bed
Heather
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(This review can be found on my blog All the Ups and Downs.)
I admit that I was sucked in by the cover for Max...Attacks by Kathi Appelt. Then I read the synopsis, and I knew that I had to read this for myself and for my 4 year old son. We were both delighted and entertained throughout this cute story. In fact, my son wanted me to read this book again right after we were done reading it the first time!

The plot for Max...Attacks if very simplistic yet fun. It's an easy plot to understand for you
Sybrina Durant
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read with a child. The rhymes by Kathi Appelt are whimsical and fun and that cat, Max is a real hoot. I love the way the illustrator, Penelope Dullaghan, represented him and his antics with her very original artwork. Max certainly reminds me of a kitty or two that I have lived with in the past. I highly recommend this book.
Alice Ball
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A distractible cat with an insatiable desire to attack will be familiar to many with mischievous pets of their own. Worriers may be on the edge of their seat wondering if the unsuspecting fish will make it to the end.
Lesley Burnap
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ha-HA! This spirited cat tries his best to grab and eat the fish in the fishbowl, only to be deterred (yup, that word’s in the book!) by a lizard, a catnip bird and a loose shoelace. The words and illustrations capture the impulsivity of this feisty kitty purrr-fectly! (C’mon, how could I resist?)
Beverly
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-cats
An adorable blue cat with black stripes romps through this book, destruction in his wake. Every time he decides to go after the fish in the fishbowl, something else distracts him. There is a very funny view of Max's head magnified by the fishbowl. Cat lovers and owners will recognize this hyper-active kitty's antics. Great, humorous illustrations in acrylics and charcoal.
Katy
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The cat lover in me gives this a 4.5
Carey
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so freaking cute! I came across it while covering books at my library today. I thought I was the only one who called my cats' dry food crunchies. <3 ...more
Emily
Aug 08, 2019 added it
rhyming, cats
Michelle
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
This book is adorable. Yes, it's for kids, but the cover lured me in and I had to read it. Max attacks everything, and then a nap attacks Max! Perfect book for kids, or anyone who loves cats.
Susan
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to @blue_slip_media and @barbfisch for sharing the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Meet Max! He’s full of curiosity and mischief as he prowls through the house making one discovery after another, even though his main objective is, and always will be, the fish bowl! BUT there are just so many tempting things to grab his attention first. Can Max really be expected to ignore a lizard crawling up a window screen, a dangling shoe lace or a basket of dirty socks? They are c
Tangled in Text
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pitter patter, my heart does shatter with yearning for more of this catescapade. The illustration work on Max...Attacks is beautiful and the rhythmic flow was inspiring (as you can see above my attempt of a flow), lighthearted and flowed methodically. Max...Attacks reminded me of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, in the fact that it seemed to always be building and expanding as you grew deeper into the story and were kept trying to out guess what would come next. Max was a fun character to follow.

Ev
Laurie Hnatiuk
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Calling all cat lovers, word wizards and those who love captivating illustrations - this is the book for you. Max is a cat who likes to attack! The day begins with Max spying and getting ready to attack a bowl of fish - but wait there's a lizard on the screen, dangling shoelaces and a basket of socks that sidetrack Max from his initial quarry throughout his day. Finally Max is able to try and capture those delicious fishes with a predictable surprise. Kathi Applet has written a fun wonderful boo ...more
Lisa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Max is a very busy kitty. He really wants to pounce on the fishes but keeps getting distracted - the Gecko on the wall, the basket of socks, his catnip mouse, a shoelace, even his food bowl - the fishbowl is safe for one more day.

Kathi Appelt's rhyming text keeps the pace quick and a bit frantic. Dullaghan's terrific illustrations are all over the pages (just like a cat), sometimes Max is in the center looking through the fishbowl, other times he's in the corner hiding under the couch or only h
Ruthie Jones
Oh, that Max! He sure knows how to jump around from one silly caper to another, attacking so many things that catch his kitty cat eye.

Max...Attacks is a quick and cute story about a cat's unending curiosity. In true feline fashion, the story jumps from one adventure to another in the blink of an eye. The rhymes are easy and catchy; however, some of the phrases and words may be beyond a really young reader/listener, such as gusto, licks his chops, and catnip, but what a fun way to learn new thing
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Max Attacks is such a fun book and I wish I had a kid to read it to right now!  I enjoyed Max's antics because, well, he's a cat and he does what cats do all day long - get into mischief.

The colors are bright and are perfect to hold the attention of a little one. The images also demonstrate action in Max's daily escapades.

This is a story in verse which teaches children language and sounds and exposes them to poetry with simpler words and images they can understand.

This book would be perfect for
Christena
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the very first page, Max sounds like a real-life cat I know that is aptly called Wayne the Pain. Max is a special cat who is full of curiosity and life. Thankfully, curiosity does not kill Max nor the fishes.

Max… Attacks is a delightful children’s book that shows a day in the life of Max told in verse. From his romps with socks to blinds to trying to eat, and play with the fishes Max has a day full of curious adventures.

The illustrations and story complement each other perfectly. This book
Kristine Hall
Adorable! Anyone who's ever owned a cat will be able to relate to Max's antics, and everyone who reads, cat owner or not, will get a chuckle. The illustrations are excellent; vibrant and expressive, they will keep readers of all ages engaged and amused. I recommend getting the print copy to have and hold and share with your favorite little one -- or any cat lover. This mini-review and more special features on Hall Ways Blog. ...more
Diane
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
“He’s full of gusto, full of steam. He charges up the window screen.”

An ornery cat finds plenty to do in the house, especially with that fish bowl so tantalizingly near. But there’s always something new to distract Max, keeping the fish out of harm’s way. Until SPLASH! “Max’s fur is sleek and clean; he dries it in a sunny beam. He meant to wash it anyway. He’ll catch those fish another day.”

Cute and fun word choice
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
A playful cat that likes to attack AND he keeps score?!? That's my kind of cat; competitve and fun!

A fun cute book kids enjoy, and the cat lover will adore. The rhythm and rhyme is decent, but with a little more polishing I think it could've been superb.

Thank you Blue Slip Media for the book to read just a little bit early. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Morgan
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2019 has no shortage of stellar picture books, but ohwowthisonethough. It's everything that a great picture book should be, pulled off with fun and effortless flair. The language and word-play alone makes it a standout (and a storytime contender for sure) but the illustrations are perfect, too - there's movement and whimsy even in the smallest details. I just lerved it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Scarecrow
  • Carl and the Meaning of Life
  • Just Because
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Can Cat and Bird Be Friends?
  • The Little Guys
  • Small in the City
Lives in College Station, TX with husband Ken and four adorable cats.

Two sons, both musicians.

Serves on the faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts in the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults Program.

News & Interviews