Start by marking “Sorcery of Thorns” as Want to Read:
Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  18,368 ratings  ·  4,446 reviews
All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long as she has known anything. Raised as a foundling in one of Austermeer’s Great Libraries, Elisabeth has grown up among the tools of sorcery—magical grimoires that whisper on shelves and rattle beneath iron chains. If provoked, they transform into grotesque monsters of ink and leather. She hopes to become a warden, cha ...more
Published June 4th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Sorcery of Thorns, please sign up.
Margaret Rogerson Hi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young…moreHi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young adult books. Your sister might enjoy it if she's an advanced reader, but I recommend reading it yourself first to determine whether the content is appropriate for her.(less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
YA Novels of 2019
870 books — 2,707 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,480 books — 3,632 voters

More lists with this book...

·  18,368 ratings  ·  4,446 reviews

Start your review of Sorcery of Thorns
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Perhaps the cruelest and kindest thing a good book does is make you believe you live inside it for the space of a few hundred pages. That you are a part of something, part of its world, not just skating around the edges, too tied up in yourself to join in…and then it ends and the illusion winks out, like a snuffed flame, and you’re left marooned, adrift, your head chilled in its absence.

The real world takes a seat at the back, and Rogerson’s imaginary one holds center stage. Here whe
Regan
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
strong start weak finish tbh
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I can't stop smiling. Margaret blows me away every time!

Sorcery of Thorns is equal parts whimsical, flirtatious, and totally hysterical, while still managing to deliver a gut-punch of feels on more than one occasion. This story is an absolute blast to read, and kept me thoroughly entertained all the way through.

First we have Elizabeth, a library apprentice of sorts. She's tall, fierce, yet has the gentlest of hearts. Time and time again, she charges headfirst into danger and drags u
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
June Fairyloot Box! Well, here I am again with the same book 3 times! BUT, I'm trading in my green edition and keeping this stained Fairyloot Edition as well as the Purple Owlcrate edition. So it all worked out! Click the link under the picture to see the amazing goodies in this box!!

FAIRYLOOT GOODIES

June Owlcrate Box. Well, I already have the book but this one has a purple cover soo.. kGOODIES
June
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
She wasn’t a wielder of chains; she was a breaker of them. She was the library’s will made flesh.

I never do this, but I’m going to give you all a TL;DR for this review, just in case you’re in a hurry and need me to get the point across quickly: This is one of the best books I have read in my entire life, and if there is any single book I could beg you to purchase this year, it is Sorcery of Thorns.

“Knowledge always has the potential to be dangerous. It is a more powerful weapon than any sword or spell.”

After adoring
Melanie

ARC provided by Simon & Schuster in exchange for an honest review.

I don’t know about you, but I feel like I’ve been looking for a story all about someone living in a library, surrounded by magical books, while also going on adventure after adventure, for my entire life. And I truly believe that not only did Margaret Rogerson give me that, she is giving the YA literature community a gift from abovreview.
Margaret Rogerson
Nov 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi, all! I don’t spend much time here (I view this as a place for readers, not me), but now that Sorcery of Thorns is appearing on people’s radars, I thought it would be a good opportunity to mention a couple of things.

Firstly: Sorcery is quite a different book than An Enchantment of Ravens, which may be helpful for readers to know in advance. Probably the best way to put it is that Enchantment is a fairy tale romance, while Sorcery is an epic fantasy. Sorcery does have a romance, bu
jessica
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘for all the girls who found themselves in books.’

yaaassss! we stan a fantasy queen who both acknowledges AND writes stories for us bookworms. <3

i know i wont be the only reader who sees a little bit of themself in elisabeth; for being able to relate, on such a personal level, to her love of books, for seeing them as companions, and forever feeling at home in their company/in a library.

and this story is every bit deserving of having such a remarkable character. there is so much balanc
Sabaa Tahir
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the YA Fantasy about libraries and living, breathing books that I didn't know I needed. Fell in love within like 20 pages and then ripped through the rest. Loved the characters, loved the ending, just loved it full stop. Silas was my favorite! Highly recommend.
Helena of Eretz ✰
PHENOMENAL.

Every criticism that I had with AEOR was fixed here... Instalove? Nope. The slowest of slow burns. Flat characters? Nada. All nuanced and well developed darlings. Nonexistent plot? More like a compelling and magical ride.

I LOVED THIS. Margaret Rogerson is well on her way to becoming a new favourite author of mine. This was a follow-up novel done RIGHT.

RTC!
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Guys, this book.....I WANT MORE.
This book is Howl’s Moving Castle’s cousin and I was LIVING throughout it.
Whitney Atkinson
THIS BOOK SAID TALL GIRL RIGHTS!!!! THIS BOOK SAID BISEXUAL RIGHTS!!!!!

Don't let this book fool you and let you think it's just another author trying to capitalize off of having the word "Thorns" in the title to appear like a Sarah J. Maas knock-off. This is my favorite book of 2019, and Sarah J. Maas should be SHAKING right now. I read this author's debut book, An Enchantment of Ravens, and hated it, so I was skeptical going into it. But I knew within the first chapter of this book that it
Kat
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
OK HERE'S A BREAKDOWN:

stuff i liked:
-just a really, genuinely fun read tbh. i honestly can't think of the last YA fantasy book that made me yELL the way this one did
-silas, duh
-nathaniel and elisabeth's relationship (separately, they were nothing special. but together?? delightful). I thought that enemies to lovers was executed well enough (even if it waaaas kinda fast, but anyway) AND Nathaniel was snarky and mysterious without being a complete asshole, which is *o
Chloe
“Knowledge always has the potential to be dangerous. It is a more powerful weapon than any sword or spell”

This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and I loved it! The writing, the characters, the setting, the banter, the romance - I pretty much loved everything about this! It didn't quite reach the full 5 stars for me, but I had the best time reading it and I'm now super interested in reading An Enchantment of Ravens!
Chelsea Humphrey
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melanie
I'm so bummed, because I had a paper where I noted my favorite quotes and corresponding page numbers tucked into my hardcopy of this book, but I seem to have misplaced it. 😿 No matter, I will carry on and you will now know that I had so many quotes I loved from this book and there simply wasn't enough room here to include them.

Me, rushing to tell you all about this book:

Sometimes, I think the entire
April (Aprilius Maximus)
REASONS TO READ THIS INCREDIBLE BOOK:

1. The MC is a badass, sword-wielding, book lover who grew up in a magical library.
2. The love interest is a bisexual sorcerer who gives off major sexy slytherin vibes
3. His best friend is a demon who sometimes turns into a cat.
4. There's an ace side character (it's not on page but is heavily implied)
5. The whole book is feminist AF
6. It's set in 1824 in an alternate world
7. Parsifal is the CUTEST cinnamon roll ever
Cindy Pham
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I was wondering why I found myself underwhelmed throughout reading this book and I realize that it might be because I prefer Rogerson to write short, simple, romantic stories rather than trying to make a complex fantasy narrative. I appreciate the unique concept and world that she tried to convey, but I think there was a disconnect between that and the actual execution. I was aware of her intentions with the whimsical world building, snarky love interest, secretly soft demon, etc. but it didn’t ...more
Warda
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know why I'm adding this to my TBR.
YA fantasy and I broke up a while ago and I'm reluctant to rekindle this relationship.

But then I hear this book is a book about books and I mean, what can I do? I am weak. I will listen to this kind of temptation.
Miranda Reads
Apr 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
That cover is simply enchanting and the blurb sounds amazing!

I cannot wait for it to be released!
Zainab
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
Since this is one of the most anticipated book of the year and not a lot of people have read it, I'm going to keep this spoiler free.

The book started out great. We have our main character Elisabeth who is what most people would call 'innocent'. She isn't too smart- I mean I found her to be a bit too childish. Anyway, she's an orphan who works/lives in this Great Library and tries a bit too hard to impress her director.
Then something happens and she gets kicked out of the library
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE REVIEW IS POSTED

"But there is always more than one way to see the world. Those who claim otherwise would have you dwell forever in the dark."

Wow. I haven't been moved by a book since ... I don't know ... months ago probably. This book was breathtaking. It was incredibly beautiful and so different than what I have ever read. What a fresh breath of air! and I even bought another copy of this book for my friend's birthday present and I had given it to her yesterday and when her face lit up with deligPOSTED
Hamad
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This ReviewBlog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

🌟 I do believe in second chances and I give every author 2 chances before deciding that their style is or isn’t for me. I did not like Margaret’s debut AEoR and I predicted that its rating will decrease upon its release and that really happened. It has an average rating of 3.66 now. But enough about that book because it was a standalone and a debut and I
megs_bookrack
Synopsis:

...imaginative fantasy about an apprentice at a magical library...

I'm like...

Purchased.

Update:

Who am I that I have owned this since release day and haven't gotten to it yet?

Oh yeah, that's totally me.

FL
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-release
She has done it again!! I loved An Enchantment of Ravens, Margaret’s debut, so I was so excited to read this and it did not disappoint! This was such a wild ride - beautiful writing, an epic story and charming characters (I can’t decide who my favourite is).
C.G. Drews
I loved all the elements of this one (sentient books; magical libraries; broody sorcerers; secretly Soft™ demons) but the actual execution of it all didn't click for me. It felt like the Clockwork Angel series come again (Nathaniel and Elisabeth have the same personalities/arcs as Will and Tessa too) and overall I am slightly sleepy.
~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾
”There is always more than one way to see the world. Those who claim otherwise would have you dwell forever in the dark.”

FORMAT READ: Audiobook (Recommended) & eBook
SIMILAR VIBES: The Infernal Devices, Daughter of a Burning City, A Curse So Dark and Lonely
READ FOR: broody banter, if you want to laugh and love
READING LEVEL: Level 2-3 out of 5

⇒MY BLOG⇐
*All my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless stated otherwise*

OVERALL: 4.75/5

HOLY HOLY OHMYGOSH THAT WAS SO GOOD

PERFECT. ENDING. PERFECT. EVERYTHING.

FORMAT READ: Audiobook (Recommended) & eBook
READ FOR: broody banter, if you want to laugh and love
READING LEVEL: Level 2-3 out of 5

⇒MY BLOG⇐
*All my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless stated otherwise*

OVERALL: 4.75/5

HOLY HOLY OHMYGOSH THAT WAS SO GOOD

PERFECT. ENDING. PERFECT. EVERYTHING.

description

me when (yes… “when” because they are real in my head) I meet Elisabeth, Silas, and Nathaniel:

Silas you precious 😍🥰😍🥰

Nathaniel my love 😍🥰😍🥰

Elisabeth my amazing boo 😍🥰😍🥰

I love everything about this book!! It’s fast paced, has a good fantasy worthy (yes that’s a thing for me) plot, cracks me up, made me cry, had me invested in all of the main characters, was original, had a heroine that did not annoy me… AND IT IS A STANDALONE PEOPLE !!!!!!! I feel like a read a whole fantasy series.

the different versions of me while reading (view spoiler):

description

Okay, okay, I gotta calm down for a bit… so this book is about Elisabeth, she’s a bit naive as she grew up isolated in a library (being in a library all day is a dream though)... And that's all I knew going in and that's all I think you should know as well haha :")

I thought the setting was going to be fully in a library and I really expected the world to be contained (especially because it is a standalone) but I was pleasantly surprised that the plot really goes beyond that. It’s another great example of blurbs not giving away too much, just enough to get readers interested.

If you have been following my updates you probably know that I CANNOT stop gushing about this book. I was practically posting an update of me freaking out almost every other chapter. I didn’t want this book to end yet ;((

The dynamic between Elisabeth, Silas, and Nathaniel reminds me an awful lot of the dynamic between Tessa, Will, and Jem from TID… and I am not complaining The plot is very different though but the vibe is a bit similar. Anyway, I LOVED their relationships and overall dynamic. This is NOT A LOVE TRIANGLE just to be clear… don’t worry that was not a spoiler. Their chemistry is just so well written and I was getting more invested as the story went on. (view spoiler)

They had me so intrigued and Nathaniel’s “broody banter” had me laughing and giggling. Note: Nathaniel is bisexual and it wasn’t even a big deal. I really like it when fantasy have lgbtq characters and it it’s just normal for them because that’s how I feel like it should also be in our “normal” world. He felt so real to me and isn’t that the goal? ;)

Silas was everything I wanted him to be and I fell in love with him. I don’t know how to describe him but hecc he’s amazing. He’s not one of those characters that are like plotting behind your back because, frankly, I’m tired of it. The epitome of Unconditional Love right there. (view spoiler)

I though I would get annoyed of Elisabeth’s naiveness but gladly I wasn’t. I thought that it was based on something and it made sense. I was able to relate to her greatly and she's amazing <3

“Life is like the oil within a lamp. It can be measured, but the pace at which it burns depends on how the dail is turned day by day, how bright and fierce the flame. And there is no predicting whether the lamp might be knocked to the ground and shatter, when it could have blazed a lot longer. Such is the unpredictability of life.”

Sorcery of Thorns is now officially part of my best-standalones and has entered my favourites-of-all-time shelf because that is how much I loved it. It reminded me of how much I loved to read. I thought this was going to a “meh” read for me but, nope, I was wrong. It was fun while still having the elements and emotional rollercoasters I want in a fantasy.

This is a perfect fantasy standalone... that I kind of wish had a sequel but at the same time it's perfect the way it is. It did not fail to crack me up and tear me up.

“You like this place?"
"Of course I do. It has books in it.”

I don't think I have related to a quote more XD

PLOT: ★★★★★
PACING: ★★★★★
PAGE TURNER: ★★★★★
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Buddy reading with Alexa and Melanie<3

I had admittedly been a bit nervous going into Sorcery of Thorns because I was one of sad few who didn't love Margaret's debut, An Enchantment of Ravens (which honestly still kills me because faeries + the cover are Kristin candy). Plot twist, as you can see from my rating, I ended up giving Sorcery of Thorns a full five stars. Sorcery is almost double the length of Ravens and the added page time allowed Margaret to craft such a beautiful fantasy world and fully
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

Books, too, had hearts, though they were not the same as people's, and a book's heart could be broken: she had seen it happen before. Grimoires that refused to open, their voices gone silent, or whose ink faded and bled across the pages like tears.

Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Elisabeth loved books since she was born. She was raised with them surrounding her.
She loved everything about them - that they talked, laughed, fought and especially that they were so magical, sometimes even dangerous. She always wanted one thing and
Lucy Langford
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5**** rounded up!

Books, too, had hearts, though they were not the same as people's and a book's heart could be broken: she had seen it happen before. Grimoires that refused to open, their voices gone silent, or whose ink faded and bled across the pages like tears.

This was brimming with enchantment and I am totally in love with my Fairyloot copy which is signed and has sparkly sprayed turquoise edges.

A sorcery of Thorns features Elisabeth, a foundling of Summershall Great Lib/>Books,
✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile
THIS BOOK IS JUST ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND I LOVE IT AND IS JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO LIFT MY READING MOOD. I’M JUST SO IN LOVE WITH THE STORY! 💗💗💗

Side note: I’m totally down for a sequel novella all about their normal everyday lives. It’ll make my reader heart very happy if this came true cause I need for of them in my life.
Semifinal Round
2,718,484 Votes Cast

• Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Storm and Fury (The Harbinger, #1)
Margaret writes fantasy for young adult readers. She lives near Cincinnati, Ohio, and when she's not reading or writing she enjoys drawing, watching documentaries, making pudding, gaming, and exploring the outdoors in search of toads and mushrooms.
“When terrible things have happened to you, sometimes the promise of something good can be just as frightening.” 77 likes
“It was always wise to be polite to books, whether or not they could hear you.” 69 likes