Start by marking “Sorcery of Thorns” as Want to Read:
Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns

All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long as she has known anything. Raised as a foundling in one of Austermeer’s Great Libraries, Elisabeth has grown up among the tools of sorcery—magical grimoires that whisper on shelves and rattle beneath iron chains. If provoked, they transform into grotesque monsters of ink and leather. She hopes to become a warden, cha ...more
Expected publication: June 4th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Sorcery of Thorns, please sign up.
Margaret Rogerson Hi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young…moreHi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young adult books. Your sister might enjoy it if she's an advanced reader, but I recommend reading it yourself first to determine whether the content is appropriate for her.(less)
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
769 books — 1,797 voters
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareHouse of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. MaasThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,260 books — 2,909 voters

More lists with this book...

شيماء ✨
Nov 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
The only thing I’ll be kissing on New Year’s Eve is my money goodbye because all these 2019 releases are coming for my wallet
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I can't stop smiling. Margaret blows me away every time!

Sorcery of Thorns is equal parts whimsical, flirtatious, and totally hysterical, while still managing to deliver a gut-punch of feels on more than one occasion. This story is an absolute blast to read, and kept me thoroughly entertained all the way through.

First we have Elizabeth, a library apprentice of sorts. She's tall, fierce, yet has the gentlest of hearts. Time and time again, she charges headfirst into danger and drags us with her,
Margaret Rogerson
Nov 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi, all! I don’t spend much time here (I view this as a place for readers, not me), but now that Sorcery of Thorns is appearing on people’s radars, I thought it would be a good opportunity to mention a couple of things.

Firstly: Sorcery is quite a different book than An Enchantment of Ravens, which may be helpful for readers to know in advance. Probably the best way to put it is that Enchantment is a fairy tale romance, while Sorcery is an epic fantasy. Sorcery does have a romance, but it’s a sub
Helena of Sparta ✰
An Enchantment of Ravens was rather subpar, but I’m willing to give a book about a magical library a chance!

Also, THAT COVER IS DIVINE! Blast my lack of self-control when it comes to pretty covers! Bye, bye wallet! xD
Melanie

ARC provided by Simon & Schuster in exchange for an honest review.

This book was just so unique and so magical. I loved it. RTC! <3

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy read with Sol, Alexa, Kristin, & Alana! ❤
Anissa (FairyLoot)
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-release
She has done it again!! I loved An Enchantment of Ravens, Margaret’s debut, so I was so excited to read this and it did not disappoint! This was such a wild ride - beautiful writing, an epic story and charming characters (I can’t decide who my favourite is).
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Buddy reading with Alexa and Melanie<3

I had admittedly been a bit nervous going into Sorcery of Thorns because I was one of sad few who didn't love Margaret's debut, An Enchantment of Ravens (which honestly still kills me because faeries + the cover are Kristin candy). Plot twist, as you can see from my rating, I ended up giving Sorcery of Thorns a full five stars. Sorcery is almost double the length of Ravens and the added page time allowed Margaret to craft such a beautiful fantasy world an
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Thank you to the author for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved Enchantment of Ravens sooo much! ( I don’t care what the haters think) I HAD to pre order her new book!!! She has beautiful covers!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Hamad
Nov 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
Margaret probably has the best covers, just wow!
I hope the inside is better this time though...
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
**ARC provided by Publisher-I have SO MANY QUOTES I WANT TO SHARE-but I love getting ARCs more. SO hopefully I’ll have the time to come back and add quotes in the future when it releases! 😊 **

You have no idea-no idea-what it means to me to have received this ARC. An Enchantment of Ravens was my favorite book of 2017 after Rook stole my heart completely and Isobel fought her way through my crusty exterior, as well. It would belittle my love for this author to say her writing and stories are anyth
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Margaret K. McElderry Books for the free (gifted) review copy in exchange for an honest review!

And I'm finally getting around to writing this review. Sorcery of Thorns has been at the top of my list when it comes to 2019 releases. I still can't explain how happy I am to have been given the chance to read and review this book. So, without further delays let's get to the review.

Sorcery of Thorns was so well written. I fell in love with the writing style and the way everything was explain
Hafsah Faizal
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SORCERY OF THORNS is one of those books that sink beneath your skin, burrowing so deep into your bones that you simply have to give it a place to live on in your soul. Because it's that good.

I've known, ever since devouring Margaret Rogerson's debut, AN ENCHANTMENT OF RAVENS, that she has a magical way with words, but in SORCERY, her magic soars even higher. I adored Elizabeth and Nathaniel, but Silas stole my heart.

SORCERY OF THORNS is a gothic tale with a good dose of whimsy. Where books speak
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sol ~ TheBookishKing by: Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Buddy Read with Alana and Melanie!

Hello friends! I am here with a review today about Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson! I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected but this is kind of a long review so thanks for sticking around.

This story is about libraries and the dangers and wonders they hold. The main character Elisabeth has always grown up in the Great Library, one of the many Great Libraries where she wishes to be a Warden one day. Wardens are the main keepers of the Libraries and prot
megs_bookrack
Nov 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
Synopsis: ...imaginative fantasy about an apprentice at a magical library...

I'm like...

Alana • thebookishchick
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Someone come slap this cheesy grin off my face because I can't stop smiling.

RTC.

-------------------

OHHHH MY GOD.
2019 out here blessing us with ANOTHER amazing book but I really need it now.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Nov 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-books
this sounds fucking amazing.

gimme.
Sh3lly
Jan 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, edelweiss
An Enchantment of Ravens: ★★★★★

Oh my. I am so excited to see this. Release date June 4, 2019.

Edit: Oh, I found out this is a stand-alone in the same world and not a sequel. Oops.
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
Nov 07, 2018 marked it as tbr-highly-interested
Why are Margaret Rogerson's covers always so gorgeous?! I was tempted to buy the physical copy of An Enchantment of Ravens as well completely because of the cover, even though the book was only more or less a 3 star read for me. Hope I'll like this one more!
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
Well someone has been blessed again by the God of Gorgeous Covers.

That synopsis has me lit with hype and I'm not even sorry. 2019 better live up to it!
mith
It has been so, so long since I’ve read a book that makes me feel so damn much.

(Coincidentally, it has also been so long since I’ve finished a book—period.)

Reading Sorcery of Thorns was a ride. In a way that was different from reading Warcross and Wildcard—the gods above know how much I love those two books. But Sorcery. Wow. I just—I can’t seem to find the words for it?

I have never had a book that changed me. I’ve never had a book that meant so much to me that I simply can’t fathom it. I final
Alexa
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Buddy reading with Kristin & Melanie!

It was so good to sink into a YA fantasy and fall in love with it! With echoes of other familiar stories that I love and a style that felt both like older, classic YA fantasy and a refreshing new spin on that, Sorcery of Thorns was precisely the sort of reading experience I want with a new fantasy book. (Plus, I just loved Elisabeth and Nathaniel a whole lot too!)
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)

HOLY CRAP this book blew me away!!! I really enjoyed Enchantment of Ravens (even though I didn't think I would), so I knew I'd love this one too. I didn't expect to love it so much, giving me my first 5 star book in 4 months!

The concept was AMAZING!! Our main character, Elisabeth, works as an apprentice in a magical library full of sentient grimoires. Sentient magical books, you guys. MAGICAL. BOOKS. Has there ever been a more perfect book for bookworms?! Oh, and when provoked, said grimoires t
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Ooo wonderful art by the amazing Charlie Bowater!
---
Her first work was promising, so sure, I'm up for another go.
Sophie Elaina
AHHH THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!

AND THE COVER IS SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL!

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!
Clephiro (The Book Coven)
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, fantasy, favourites, ya
Sorcery of Thorns is perhaps my favorite book that I read in 2018; certainly, it's in my top 10. It is a strong follow-up to Margaret Rogerson's debut, An Enchantment of Ravens.

Sorcery of Thorns was everything that I did not know that I wanted in a fantasy novel. The book is set in a world that is Victorian-esque but with magic. Elizabeth, the main character lives (and works) in a library filled with dangerous and magical books. So the main character is a magical librarian with a sword, which is
Ashlee » Library In The Country
This cover this cover this cover!

I’m just going to stare at it for awhile.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Me: yeah alright I’ll give this a go

Me: [sees the cover] HELL YEAH *slams it into the anticipated 2019 reads pile*

Honestly Rogerson has potential - AEOR was a steady debut - and has literally been blessed by the cover gods and this sounds exactly like my kinda thing so please bring this on I am hyped!! (Though slightly surprised it only seems like a stand-alone right now? The blurb makes it seem like it could be a duology)
Lisa
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
Another incredible book from Margaret Rogerson. I absolutely fell in love with this world of dangerous, sentient grimoires and with Elizabeth, a bold yet humble ward of the library.

The magic is interesting, the romance swoony and the action breathtaking.

This is of my favorite fantasies of 2019 already.
You Are Never Too...: Sorcery of Thorns - June 4, 2019 10 9 Jan 14, 2019 06:22PM
  • Fall Like Thieves
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Beholder
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Waking Forest
  • We are Blood and Thunder
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • The Harp of Kings
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place #1)
Margaret writes fantasy for young adult readers. She lives near Cincinnati, Ohio, and when she's not reading or writing she enjoys drawing, watching documentaries, making pudding, gaming, and exploring the outdoors in search of toads and mushrooms.