Start by marking “Sorcery of Thorns” as Want to Read:
Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns

From the New York Times bestselling author of An Enchantment of Ravens comes an imaginative fantasy about an apprentice at a magical library who must battle a powerful sorcerer to save her kingdom.

All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long as she has known anything. Raised as a foundling in one of Austermeer’s Great Libraries, Elisabeth has grown up among the
Expected publication: June 4th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Sorcery of Thorns, please sign up.
Margaret Rogerson Hi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young…moreHi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young adult books. Your sister might enjoy it if she's an advanced reader, but I recommend reading it yourself first to determine whether the content is appropriate for her.(less)
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
718 books — 1,205 voters
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackUntitled by Sarah J. MaasChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareCrescent City by Sarah J. Maas
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,037 books — 2,220 voters

More lists with this book...

شيماء ✨
Nov 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
The only thing I’ll be kissing on New Year’s Eve is my money goodbye because all these 2019 releases are coming for my wallet
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I can't stop smiling. Margaret blows me away every time!

Sorcery of Thorns is equal parts whimsical, flirtatious, and totally hysterical, while still managing to deliver a gut-punch of feels on more than one occasion. This story is an absolute blast to read, and kept me thoroughly entertained all the way through.

First we have Elizabeth, a library apprentice of sorts. She's tall, fierce, yet has the gentlest of hearts. Time and time again, she charges headfirst into danger and drags us with her,
Helena ✰ FC
Nov 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
After An Enchantment of Ravens, I didn’t want anything to do with her future books, but...THAT COVER IS DIVINE! Also, that synopsis sounds AMAZING! Blast my lack of self-control! Ugh!

Bye, bye wallet! xD
Margaret Rogerson
Nov 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi, all! I don’t spend much time here (I view this as a place for readers, not me), but now that Sorcery of Thorns is appearing on people’s radars, I thought it would be a good opportunity to mention a couple of things.

Firstly: Sorcery is quite a different book than An Enchantment of Ravens, which may be helpful for readers to know in advance. Probably the best way to put it is that Enchantment is a fairy tale romance, while Sorcery is an epic fantasy. Sorcery does have a romance, but it’s a sub
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
Thank you to the author for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Anissa
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-release
She has done it again! I loved An Enchantment of Ravens, Margaret’s debut, so I was so excited to read this and it did not disappoint! This was such a wild ride - beautiful writing, an epic story and charming characters (I can’t decide who my favourite is).
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved Enchantment of Ravens sooo much! ( I don’t care what the haters think) I HAD to pre order her new book!!! She has beautiful covers!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Hamad
Nov 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
Margaret probably has the best covers, just wow!
I hope the inside is better this time though...
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
**ARC provided by Publisher-I have SO MANY QUOTES I WANT TO SHARE-but I love getting ARCs more. SO hopefully I’ll have the time to come back and add quotes in the future when it releases! 😊 **

You have no idea-no idea-what it means to me to have received this ARC. An Enchantment of Ravens was my favorite book of 2017 after Rook stole my heart completely and Isobel fought her way through my crusty exterior, as well. It would belittle my love for this author to say her writing and stories are anyth
ellias
Nov 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-books
this sounds fucking amazing.

gimme.
Hafsah Faizal
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SORCERY OF THORNS is one of those books that sink beneath your skin, burrowing so deep into your bones that you simply have to give it a place to live on in your soul. Because it's that good.

I've known, ever since devouring Margaret Rogerson's debut, AN ENCHANTMENT OF RAVENS, that she has a magical way with words, but in SORCERY, her magic soars even higher. I adored Elizabeth and Nathaniel, but Silas stole my heart.

SORCERY OF THORNS is a gothic tale with a good dose of whimsy. Where books speak
megs_bookrack
Nov 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
Synopsis: ...imaginative fantasy about an apprentice at a magical library...

I'm like...

Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
Jan 11, 2019 marked it as wish-list
Shelves: fantasy
An Enchantment of Ravens: ★★★★★

Oh my. I am so excited to see this. Release date June 4, 2019.

Edit: Oh, I found out this is a stand-alone in the same world and not a sequel. Oops.
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
Nov 07, 2018 marked it as tbr-anticipated
Why are Margaret Rogerson's covers always so gorgeous?! I was tempted to buy the physical copy of An Enchantment of Ravens as well completely because of the cover, even though the book was only more or less a 3 star read for me. Hope I'll like this one more!
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
Well someone has been blessed again by the God of Gorgeous Covers.

That synopsis has me lit with hype and I'm not even sorry. 2019 better live up to it!
mith
It has been so, so long since I’ve read a book that makes me feel so damn much.

(Coincidentally, it has also been so long since I’ve finished a book—period.)

Reading Sorcery of Thorns was a ride. In a way that was different from reading Warcross and Wildcard—the gods above know how much I love those two books. But Sorcery. Wow. I just—I can’t seem to find the words for it?

I have never had a book that changed me. I’ve never had a book that meant so much to me that I simply can’t fathom it. I final
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Dec 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
I actually got accepted for an ARC for this and I am SHOCKED.

I'm really excited about this and the cover is gorgeous and just I am PUMPED!
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)

HOLY CRAP this book blew me away!!! I really enjoyed Enchantment of Ravens (even though I didn't think I would), so I knew I'd love this one too. I didn't expect to love it so much, giving me my first 5 star book in 4 months!

The concept was AMAZING!! Our main character, Elisabeth, works as an apprentice in a magical library full of sentient grimoires. Sentient magical books, you guys. MAGICAL. BOOKS. Has there ever been a more perfect book for bookworms?! Oh, and when provoked, said grimoires t
Ashlee » Library In The Country
This cover this cover this cover!

I’m just going to stare at it for awhile.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Ooo wonderful art by the amazing Charlie Bowater!
---
Her first work was promising, so sure, I'm up for another go.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Margaret K. McElderry Books for the review copy! Been looking foward to this for a while now 😍
Clephiro (The Book Coven)
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, fantasy, favourites, ya
Sorcery of Thorns is perhaps my favorite book that I read in 2018; certainly, it's in my top 10. It is a strong follow-up to Margaret Rogerson's debut, An Enchantment of Ravens.

Sorcery of Thorns was everything that I did not know that I wanted in a fantasy novel. The book is set in a world that is Victorian-esque but with magic. Elizabeth, the main character lives (and works) in a library filled with dangerous and magical books. So the main character is a magical librarian with a sword, which is
helena
Dec 29, 2018 marked it as unreleased
release date: june 4th
Isabel Ibanez
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book, and it’s everything lovely and whimsical, lush and atmospheric. Classic Margaret. You don’t want to miss this one. ❤

Longer review to come, closer to the date.
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
I NEED more books like this in my life! Books focused on magical libraries!! 😱😍 Yes plz!!
Frank
Shelves: 2019, cover-luv, fantasy
PREREVIEW NOV 2018
Me: I need to read author's earlier books before adding another of their books to my tbr, especially when they have only one other

Sorcery of Thorns: *title exists*

Me: ah cool

SoT: *cover exists*

Me: 😐😑😐😑😐😑😐!

SoT: I'm about sorcerers

Me: !!!!!!!!!!

SoT: and a magical library

Me: . . .

SoT: 😏

Me: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *slams to-read button*
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Nov 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
Beautiful cover, interesting synopsis and A LIBRARY.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Shelves: fantasy
Me: yeah alright I’ll give this a go

Me: [sees the cover] HELL YEAH *slams it into the anticipated 2019 reads pile*

Honestly Rogerson has potential - AEOR was a steady debut - and has literally been blessed by the cover gods and this sounds exactly like my kinda thing so please bring this on I am hyped!!
Julie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Rogerson's fantasies are going to be treasured classics. Don't miss this one!

My official review:

"Like the grimoires that fill its pages, SORCERY OF THORNS lives, breathes, and beckons you closer with each enchanting word. This is classic fantasy at its very best.”

- Julie C. Dao, author of FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
« previous 1 3 next »
You Are Never Too...: Sorcery of Thorns - June 4, 2019 10 4 Jan 14, 2019 06:22PM
Margaret writes fantasy for young adult readers. She lives near Cincinnati, Ohio, and when she's not reading or writing she enjoys drawing, watching documentaries, making pudding, gaming, and exploring the outdoors in search of toads and mushrooms.